Why do lances have cords in a lot of official FE art?

Corrobin

After looking through a lot of art, I've noticed that several lance-using units have lances with cords on them. To show what I mean-

ShiidaFE3DS

File:Altenna (TCG Series 2).jpg

Hector Brave Warrior Face.png

Reoccurring visual motif?

Actual part of lances historically with a practical application?

Useless bling?

What is it for?

I'm pretty sure it's so that they can pull their weapon back if they're distanced from it, such as when they may throw it.

It also may be as a convenient way to hold it on their person when they aren't in combat, since lances don't have sheaths.  Sort of like a sling, I guess.  Not sure because historically I don't think many warriors would even carry around lances outside of militaristic duties or battle.  The only weapons people would carry around outside of such instances were swords, daggers, and non-bladed weapons like a quarterstaff; basically, weapons that could be used for self-defense or ceremony.

In fact, I'm basing this hypothesis mostly off of how wandering warriors would carry quarterstaves.  It might be more dangerous to carry a lance in such a way, though.

14 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Maybe it’s kinda like how GBA generals had chains on their lances which they would use to pull the Lance back?

Those are both cool and ridiculous at the same time.

It's meant to turn the lance into a makeshift stringed musical instrument. By adjusting, shortening and tightening the rope, the lance can become a one-stringed guitar, which can effectively raise the morale of the army, making them invincible against dragons, gods and dragon gods. And I have no idea what I'm talking about

8 minutes ago, DuckMannnn said:

It's meant to turn the lance into a makeshift stringed musical instrument. By adjusting, shortening and tightening the rope, the lance can become a one-stringed guitar, which can effectively raise the morale of the army, making them invincible against dragons, gods and dragon gods. And I have no idea what I'm talking about

Oh my god why haven’t we thought this sooner 

you sir are a genius among us 

1 hour ago, DuckMannnn said:

So how can swords and axes turn into instruments?

18 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

So how can swords and axes turn into instruments?

Axes are already an instrument. 

As for swords? Don't know. But I'm sure somebody could make one into a xylophone or something. 

Edited by Slumber

I originally thought that the topic would be about the cords on steel lances and such, but I never noticed the stings on official artwork before.

Best I can think of as to the reasoning behind it is that the user could wrap the cord around their hand, wrist, and/or arm, and if their weapon was knocked out of their hands, then the cord would prevent it from flying away. It would probably be awkward, but it's better than loosing the weapon altogether. Considering that several classes that use lances are either riding a flying creature or a horse, the string could also be tied or wrapped around something to prevent the user from accidentally dropping their weapon at an inconvenient time.

It may also be the excuse for why missing with a javelin doesn't use up the weapons durability; they just pull on the sting to bring the javelin right back to them, and then throw it again. Ridiculous? Yes, but so are hand-axes that work like boomerangs.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:40 AM, DisobeyedCargo said:

Maybe it’s kinda like how GBA generals had chains on their lances which they would use to pull the Lance back?

They also had them on their axes. 9gGZOwD.gif

31 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They also had them on their axes. 9gGZOwD.gif

I know I was using the lance thing as an example like how people were thinking they did.

what  wonder about that is how the heck did they tighten the chain back without pulling it