"promise that you'll never forget me"

Watched the trailer again for shits and giggles. Got a thought I hadn't had before.

"I'll return to this world someday Teacher. Promise that you'll never forget me."

What do you think this means? Is Byleth/Teacher immortal or long lived, existing at the time of the goddess before she left the world? Is somebody (Eldegard?) going to end up being a goddess vessel like a few other female characters in games I've played? Who do you think is speaking in the first place, the goddess or someone else?

We don't have enough info yeah, but what do you WANT it to be?

Edited by Dragoncat

31 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

WAY too hard to tell probably a special place also she never said "world" again hard to speculate with little info we have atm.

I could have sworn "world" was in there?

29 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

We straight up do not have enough info to tell at this point.

I guess this is more of a what do you WANT it to be then?

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I could have sworn "world" was in there?

What she said was, literally taken from the trailer:

''I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me.''

What this suggests to me is that she's going on some sort of journey.

My guess is that in the prologue of the game we will be a very young teacher teaching a lot of lords. One of those is Edelgard and over the course of the prologue Byleth and Edelgard establish a strong friendly relationship. In the last prologue chapter Edelgard finishes her training and when she leaves she says: "promise that you'll never forget me".

That's my guess anyway.

It sounds like Edelgard will be going away for a while, so I think it's likely that we will be getting a time skip. It has to be quite a few years for Byleth to forget her, so maybe...five years or more? This raises the question, is the whole 'school' thing just going to be for the prologue chapters, kind of like how Shadow Dragon focused on Marth escaping Altea, then Chapter 1 starts two years later?

If so, will we be seeing older versions of the students?

There's just very little to go on to get a concrete idea of what will happen, but I can't wait to find out.

6 hours ago, Michelaar said:

What she said was, literally taken from the trailer:

''I will return here someday, my teacher. Promise me, that you won't forget me.''

What this suggests to me is that she's going on some sort of journey.

My thoughts exactly I think it'll be along the lines of Corrin and Azura Conquest since that's the only time the duo splits for a bit where you don't have early access to her or Sacred Stones with a mini character route choice. But I'm guessing if it happens it'll be a prologue segment maybe like SD but like Awakening where if a timeskip happens it would be small-minor with 0 changes to the characters appearances (which is very likely) again this is extremely difficult to tell from a single vague trailer until when Naga knows a new trailer will come out that'll have new stuff.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

i would probably come up with some kind of hot take, but theres nothing of substance to make any implications out of, comical or genuine. 

its probably because of how little information that we were given that drives the community to fill in blanks honestly.

16 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

i would probably come up with some kind of hot take, but theres nothing of substance to make any implications out of, comical or genuine. 

its probably because of how little information that we were given that drives the community to fill in blanks honestly.

Yeah, i'm trying my best to not try to fill the blanks and wait for more info. But it's do HARD to do!

Any idea how many month it should take till we get more?

38 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Yeah, i'm trying my best to not try to fill the blanks and wait for more info. But it's do HARD to do!

My guess we’ll be getting some if very little info in the next nintendo direct. If not the direct that proceeds that one will definitely have more info in it.

47 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Well I feel whenever the next Nintendo Direct comes probably not the rumored September one I keep hearing about if it happens(we could get newer gameplay if it does reappear there since I doubt they just reuse the E3 trailer I mean the english trailer is VERY close to 1 Mil views in such a small time we obviously know of its existence). If not the supposed upcoming one probably around the winter Direct since that's when the official site is suppose to open up.

I remember that line raising an eyebrow the last time I rewatched the trailer as well.

After looking at it again, I see three conclusions one could draw:

1. There will be some kind of time skip after the academy part of the story, and Edelgard is asking this Byleth/teacher person to remember them, as she plans to return someday. Perhaps the game will do as FE 7 and 8 did, and have you be able to choose which lord you start the adventure with. There are, after all, three protagonists (four if you count Byleth/teacher), so it isn't far-fetched that if you choose one, the others won't join until much later in the game. There might even be a choice on which character you get earlier. Thus, it's possible that by the time Edelgard joins, she may have been off on her own adventure while you were on yours, and the "I will return someday. Promise me, you won't forget me" line will have more weight to it.
  2. The lines right before the "I will return someday" are asking Byleth to join her in an apparently perilous and risky quest that may have severe consequences if they fail. Maybe something will happen in the story that causes them to be separated for a time, and Edelgard is telling Byleth/teacher that they will meet again someday, and not to forget them in the meantime? And/Or she's reminding them not to forget or give up hope in their cause? 
  3. This line is said when the Tiki-expy is on screen. It's unlikely that the line is referring to her, but it is an interesting coincidence. Maybe this Tiki lookalike has some history with Byleth/teacher? And either of them may or may not remember the other?

I also noticed that Edelgards voice wavers when she says "promise me, you won't forget me". Make of that what you will.

Of course, this is all speculation, as we have barely any information to go off of at the moment. Still, we have enough that can draw some conclusions and throw out suggestions about the game.

Again very hard to tell or give any conclusions with limited info although since she does say that you dare walk the same path with her that obviously at least confirms that you'll follow in her main objectives in the game so at least whatever the last line pertains to either slight timeskip, temporary split up, etc it won't be long especially if its very early.

The cynical part of me saw it as the first hint of Byleth potentially being yet another victim of avatar worship. The tone of her voice in particular was almost romantic... but her choice of words would imply that it's either one-way, or that she tries really hard to hide her feelings.

It's a pretty weird thing to end the trailer on. Throughout the whole thing, it goes:

At 00:32 "Here's our new main character, named Edelgard."

01:05 "Actually you take control of this Byleth guy."

01:39 "It is very much Edelgard's quest though."

01:55 "... or is it?"

Not sure what they were trying to convey here if I'm being honest.

Edited by Cysx

On 8/24/2018 at 11:09 PM, Dragoncat said:

"I'll return to this world someday Teacher. Promise that you'll never forget me."

What do you think this means?

An evil witch will compress time into a temporal mess at the end of the game. The avatar and Edelgard will try to cling to their memories to survive separation in this mess of a timespace after killing the witch, which works and thus their reunite with everyone else in their time period in a happy ending. This will come at the end of a long story where they fell in love at first sight, had parents who loved each other, but never got the chance to marry. And her really trying to earn his stoic affections no matter what, and him having to save his damsel several times. Edelgard will go down in FE history as an awful heroine who exists not apart from her lover, despite a very early effort in the plot to try to make her something independent and strong without him. The official Three Houses logo will even have her embracing him, being nothing more than this.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

An evil witch will compress time into a temporal mess at the end of the game. The avatar and Edelgard will try to cling to their memories to survive separation in this mess of a timespace after killing the witch, which works and thus their reunite with everyone else in their time period in a happy ending. This will come at the end of a long story where they fell in love at first sight, had parents who loved each other, but never got the chance to marry. And her really trying to earn his stoic affections no matter what, and him having to save his damsel several times. Edelgard will go down in FE history as an awful heroine who exists not apart from her lover, despite a very early effort in the plot to try to make her something independent and strong without him. The official Three Houses logo will even have her embracing him, being nothing more than this.

Also their two sons will be expies of Donnel and Danved.

I think that quote is some kind of hint as to the nature of the plot. My hope based on the very last line would be that Byleth betrays the three lords and turns to the other side, resulting in a much darker story. Even when he’s the enemy Edelgard still feels a bond with him and doesn’t want to lose that. But when taking into consideration the context, I don’t think it’s very likely. If I were to place a bet it would be a generic time skip like most people are suggesting.

However generic time skips are, well, generic, so I’ll dive a little deeper. Now there is a plausible scenario that fits the last two lines very well, especially if we consider Edelgard’s prior rant about the crests. Since she’s lecturing Byleth/the teacher about them, it would be reasonable to assume that he is either unfamiliar with them (hailing from another land), or holds the opposite opinion as her. In either circumstance, should Edelgard decide to start a holy war, she wouldn’t assume Byleth would stand alongside her, as he would either side with the church for the crests, or have no stance on the matter. Therefore it seems quite possible that Edelgard abandons his tutelage, and her fellow lordlings, in pursuit of a way to destroy the crests. 

Hopefully we get some more info today :)

Byleth is actually on a mission to gather the infinity dragonstones to put into the Fire Gauntlet, and this is the scene where he has to sacrifice someone he loves for the dragonstone of life. Its a sad scene, I cri everytime.

Serious though, no clue what is going on here. The line itself might not even be in the game, theres several times where things just happen in a trailer that never make it to the final cut. And with it being as far out as it is, its likely that could happen.

Its also just too hard to tell what it could be about, we dont have enough info or context to where that quote comes from, hell, its just thrown in there.

• 4 weeks later...

"Promise that you'll never forget me."

Well at least it isn't Kellam saying that quote, otherwise we WOULD forge-- wait a second, who's Kellam again? What are we talking about?