I, err, noticed the SLIGHT problem that there wasn't a "challenges" category. I guess there aren't really that many people who like to shake up Fire Emblem. Well, I'm going to change that! These new ways to play Fire Emblem are sure to make you and your friends laugh like morons, cry like little babies, and rage,  either at bullcrap RNG or at each other's dumb mistakes!

1: The Common Challenges

Spoiler

1a: The Reset Challenge. This is for players who want a full Survival rating. And sweet joy, is it ridiculous. If ANYONE dies, you have to reset. Surprisingly, this is one most people do without knowing it. Bonus points for doing a SAVELESS Reset Challenge, as that means you will have to not only complete the game without death, but also in one sitting! Oof.

1b: The Iron Man Challenge. This challenge tests a player's skill. It's essentially the opposite of the Reset Challenge, as you're not ALLOWED to reset if someone dies and you MUST save at the end of each chapter (or, in FE4, at the start of each turn).  Naturally, this also means you can't go back for dead red and green units. (Note: CLASSIC MODE ONLY! It loses all meaning on Casual.)

1c: The 0% Growth Challenge. Or, as I like to call it, the "Mekkkah" challenge. Mekkkah believes that growths aren't what makes  a unit good. Well, this run tests that! As long as you have a basic knowledge of Nightmare, you can tweak every unit's growth rates in the GBA games to 0 (and in other games, possibly). Surprisingly, EVERY FE has been cleared like this, even FE7 HHM. (At least, to my knowledge.) I guess Mekkkah was right after all!

2: Less Common Challenges

Spoiler

2a: The "Solo Unit" challenge. Easiest to perform in FE4 part 1 and FE8, this is exactly what it says. Your Lord stays out of the action and you bring JUST ONE OTHER UNIT, who you use ENTIRELY for the WHOLE GAME. Sigurd and Seth, obviously, are the best units to do these runs, and in Sigurd's case you can even leave all of the other units in the castle, as there's no chapter with REQUIRED DEPLOYMENT in this game AND he's the Lord character. For this challenge, it's reccomended that the main character joins from chapter 1-5, as these characters are the ones who come almost from beginning to end.

2b: The Zero Promotion Challenge. In this, all promotion items recieved must either be sold or stashed for eternity. Late-game pre-promotes and early-game units who don't depend on their promotion are effective here. With this, Sain only gets 16 levelups instead of 35 and a promotion, severely hindring his performance. Moulder and Lena become nearly useless. And Effie will never EVER catch up. Oof.

2c: Self-imposed FAILURE Challenge. I just came up with this one. It's similar to the "Solo Unit" challenge, but the goal is actually to view as many "Died at X" and "Wounded at X and left the party" screens as possible during the epilogue. Therefore, you must systematically kill off your units as timely as possible, like killing Cormag right after his recruitment or recruiting Lucius only to kill off him, Raven AND Priscilla as soon as possible thereafter. Naturally, this means FE7, FE8 and Awakening are easier, because you still get multiple units who CANNOT die. But still...

2d: Multiple Game challenge. Done on emulation rather than hardware, this is syncing two or more VBA's to the same control scheme and playing multiple FE games with them. Multiple DIFFERENT FE's, at that. If playing both Hector and Eirika's stories at ONCE isn't enough to give you nightmares, play Roy's alongside both. You win if all three games are beaten. Extra credit for landing the finishing blows on Idunn, the Fire Dragon and Formotiis all at once, with the leading protagonist using their signature weapon, all on the hardest difficulty.

3: Multiplayer Challenges

Spoiler

3a: VS Run.  Using multiple games, compete with a friend to see who can finish first, who can obtain a better total ranking, or who can have the best units! Be sure to play in the link arena at the end.

3b: Chapter substitution. At the end of each chapter, give the GBA, 3DS, or whatever controller you're using to the person next to you and watch as they use a completely different strategy and army than your own. They might get your MVP killed by using them wrong, or only use the Jagen when everyone else NEEDS some EXP. And then they'll S-support two units who you didn't want to S-support. It's wonderful.

3c: Dividing the army! Each player picks a unit in the game, one by one. You're not allowed to control a unit you didn't choose. Also, during Battle Preparations, each player will bring the same amount of units unless not possible. It's recommended by me to pick as many early-game units as possible- if your buddy does the same, you should have about the same size army throughout the whole game! Bonus points in FE7 if up to three people play and each picks a Lord. The only problem with this? Who gets the Promotion items...

So, what's your opinion on these challenges? Leave your thoughts and I'll see you next time.

It's ONE type of challenge.  And one I suggest you try (find a game you like, then a draft with a decent ruleset, pick someone else's team, and give it a whirl).  Sacred Stones becomes a lot more fun to play.

3 hours ago, GlitchGabe said:

I, err, noticed the SLIGHT problem that there wasn't a "challenges" category. I guess there aren't really that many people who like to shake up Fire Emblem. Well, I'm going to change that! These new ways to play Fire Emblem are sure to make you and your friends laugh like morons, cry like little babies, and rage,  either at bullcrap RNG or at each other's dumb mistakes!

1: The Common Challenges

Hide contents

1a: The Reset Challenge. This is for players who want a full Survival rating. And sweet joy, is it ridiculous. If ANYONE dies, you have to reset. Surprisingly, this is one most people do without knowing it. Bonus points for doing a SAVELESS Reset Challenge, as that means you will have to not only complete the game without death, but also in one sitting! Oof.

1b: The Iron Man Challenge. This challenge tests a player's skill. It's essentially the opposite of the Reset Challenge, as you're not ALLOWED to reset if someone dies and you MUST save at the end of each chapter (or, in FE4, at the start of each turn).  Naturally, this also means you can't go back for dead red and green units. (Note: CLASSIC MODE ONLY! It loses all meaning on Casual.)

1c: The 0% Growth Challenge. Or, as I like to call it, the "Mekkkah" challenge. Mekkkah believes that growths aren't what makes  a unit good. Well, this run tests that! As long as you have a basic knowledge of Nightmare, you can tweak every unit's growth rates in the GBA games to 0 (and in other games, possibly). Surprisingly, EVERY FE has been cleared like this, even FE7 HHM. (At least, to my knowledge.) I guess Mekkkah was right after all!

2: Less Common Challenges

Reveal hidden contents

2a: The "Solo Unit" challenge. Easiest to perform in FE4 part 1 and FE8, this is exactly what it says. Your Lord stays out of the action and you bring JUST ONE OTHER UNIT, who you use ENTIRELY for the WHOLE GAME. Sigurd and Seth, obviously, are the best units to do these runs, and in Sigurd's case you can even leave all of the other units in the castle, as there's no chapter with REQUIRED DEPLOYMENT in this game AND he's the Lord character. For this challenge, it's reccomended that the main character joins from chapter 1-5, as these characters are the ones who come almost from beginning to end.

2b: The Zero Promotion Challenge. In this, all promotion items recieved must either be sold or stashed for eternity. Late-game pre-promotes and early-game units who don't depend on their promotion are effective here. With this, Sain only gets 16 levelups instead of 35 and a promotion, severely hindring his performance. Moulder and Lena become nearly useless. And Effie will never EVER catch up. Oof.

2c: Self-imposed FAILURE Challenge. I just came up with this one. It's similar to the "Solo Unit" challenge, but the goal is actually to view as many "Died at X" and "Wounded at X and left the party" screens as possible during the epilogue. Therefore, you must systematically kill off your units as timely as possible, like killing Cormag right after his recruitment or recruiting Lucius only to kill off him, Raven AND Priscilla as soon as possible thereafter. Naturally, this means FE7, FE8 and Awakening are easier, because you still get multiple units who CANNOT die. But still...

2d: Multiple Game challenge. Done on emulation rather than hardware, this is syncing two or more VBA's to the same control scheme and playing multiple FE games with them. Multiple DIFFERENT FE's, at that. If playing both Hector and Eirika's stories at ONCE isn't enough to give you nightmares, play Roy's alongside both. You win if all three games are beaten. Extra credit for landing the finishing blows on Idunn, the Fire Dragon and Formotiis all at once, with the leading protagonist using their signature weapon, all on the hardest difficulty.

3: Multiplayer Challenges

Reveal hidden contents

3a: VS Run.  Using multiple games, compete with a friend to see who can finish first, who can obtain a better total ranking, or who can have the best units! Be sure to play in the link arena at the end.

3b: Chapter substitution. At the end of each chapter, give the GBA, 3DS, or whatever controller you're using to the person next to you and watch as they use a completely different strategy and army than your own. They might get your MVP killed by using them wrong, or only use the Jagen when everyone else NEEDS some EXP. And then they'll S-support two units who you didn't want to S-support. It's wonderful.

3c: Dividing the army! Each player picks a unit in the game, one by one. You're not allowed to control a unit you didn't choose. Also, during Battle Preparations, each player will bring the same amount of units unless not possible. It's recommended by me to pick as many early-game units as possible- if your buddy does the same, you should have about the same size army throughout the whole game! Bonus points in FE7 if up to three people play and each picks a Lord. The only problem with this? Who gets the Promotion items...

So, what's your opinion on these challenges? Leave your thoughts and I'll see you next time.

the 0% growths challenge was kind of dondon151s thing.

Suggestion: In your last multiplayer challenge, the person who gets the Promotional Items is the person whose character obtained said Promotion Item. This would also apply to Stat Boosters like a Dracoshield or(dear goodness) Boots, and all such Items may be used by the owner at their discretion on the Unit of their choice. However, other less-fortunate players may attempt to convince the holder of the coveted Item to trade it for other Promotional Items or Stat Boosters(Swap you my Talisman and Energy Drop for your Knight's Crest), or even for real life favors(I'll buy you McDonald's if you use that Seraph Robe on my low-HP Cleric so she can survive longer and get more Levels). If the Item in question is gifted during the story conversation after clearing a Chapter(Exalt's Brand and Hero-King's Brand in Before Awakening, for example), it is granted to the player whose Unit successfully finished the Chapter(In the example given, whoever defeats the last enemy, ending the Chapter). How's that?

9 hours ago, GlitchGabe said:

2d anime girls: Multiple Game challenge. Done on emulation rather than hardware, this is syncing two or more VBA's to the same control scheme and playing multiple FE games with them. Multiple DIFFERENT FE's, at that. If playing both Hector and Eirika's stories at ONCE isn't enough to give you nightmares, play Roy's alongside both. You win if all three games are beaten. Extra credit for landing the finishing blows on Idunn, the Fire Dragon and Formotiis all at once, with the leading protagonist using their signature weapon, all on the hardest difficulty.

So kinda like this, but with Fire Emblem?

21 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Suggestion: In your last multiplayer challenge, the person who gets the Promotional Items is the person whose character obtained said Promotion Item. This would also apply to Stat Boosters like a Dracoshield or(dear goodness) Boots, and all such Items may be used by the owner at their discretion on the Unit of their choice. However, other less-fortunate players may attempt to convince the holder of the coveted Item to trade it for other Promotional Items or Stat Boosters(Swap you my Talisman and Energy Drop for your Knight's Crest), or even for real life favors(I'll buy you McDonald's if you use that Seraph Robe on my low-HP Cleric so she can survive longer and get more Levels). If the Item in question is gifted during the story conversation after clearing a Chapter(Exalt's Brand and Hero-King's Brand in Before Awakening, for example), it is granted to the player whose Unit successfully finished the Chapter(In the example given, whoever defeats the last enemy, ending the Chapter). How's that?

It sounds fair. Although, that would mean players would fight over thieves and keys too much for finding items. Then again, you sort of avert mania with being able to trade  crud around. Especially notable is FE8, if the player who didn't "win" Chapter 6 has Neimi, they can haggle with the "winner" for the Orion's Bolt.

20 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, sort of. Also, I noticed you added  "anime girls" to the quote. Weird,

1 hour ago, GlitchGabe said:

It sounds fair. Although, that would mean players would fight over thieves and keys too much for finding items. Then again, you sort of avert mania with being able to trade  crud around. Especially notable is FE8, if the player who didn't "win" Chapter 6 has Neimi, they can haggle with the "winner" for the Orion's Bolt.

Yeah, thieves become a lot more valuable that way, but in a way that's a good thing because of the trade-off - if you pick a Thief, you're choosing to forgo a more combat-oriented Unit so you can get all the Promotional Items...that probably won't help your Thief all that much since they're not really super suited for battle usage. If you're rushing to get a Thief, the guy after you can snatch up, say, your personal favorite Unit who you always love using to pay you back for going for an Item monopoly.

2 hours ago, link16hit said:

mmm what about no pre-promoted unit? (like marcus, seth or pent)

also about the 2.b challenge, in FE9 and FE10 units can be lv 21 and change class...what about it?

Obviously, the Tellius games are not the games to perform that challenge. In response to the first quote, I forgot about that one.

Edited by GlitchGabe

Solo unit challenge might be an interesting idea, even if it dose cater to characters of some classes more than it does others. Solo Priest run anybody? I think it can be fun to commit to a specific team of characters a head of time and using them alone no matter how abysmal they turn out because of the RNG. This kind of run is also quite conducive to themes like "one character for each weapon type" or "horse emblem but without the gatcha."

5 hours ago, PeaceRibbon said:

I think it can be fun to commit to a specific team of characters a head of time and using them alone no matter how abysmal they turn out because of the RNG. This kind of run is also quite conducive to themes like "one character for each weapon type" or "horse emblem but without the gatcha."

I like that! How about "Fire Emblem, but you you can't buy extra tomes, lances or axes"? Or "Fire Emblem, but every unit you use has to use swords at some point"?

18 hours ago, GlitchGabe said:

I like that! How about "Fire Emblem, but you you can't buy extra tomes, lances or axes"? Or "Fire Emblem, but every unit you use has to use swords at some point"?

"Fire Emblem, but the Smash Brothers community will hate it." 

I think I actually did something similar to this in Fates Birthright where, with the exception of Azura, every character's final class incorporated staves/rods without even thinking of it as a challenge run. Then again, Birthright doesn't put up much of a fight to begin with (though that can be an appeal of the game in itself), but I could see this being way harder in literally any pre-Awakening title since you'd be limited to magic units only.

Not many Lords could reasonably pull it off. Although in Awakening and Fates, most units can use Heart Seals to gain staves anyway; not to mention your Oifey unit in Fates gets them by default. Obviously this challenge requires reclassing Kaden and basically ignoring the Beaststone, so it's not for me as Kaden (as a Nine-Tails, btw) is my favorite unit in the game (tied with Sain for the series as a whole).