Stupid/funny things you believed as a kid

Dragoncat

Just what it says. Can be stuff you were told by parents/older relatives/adults or stuff your mind came up with on its own. Please avoid controversial topics like religion.

I thought if you swallowed gum, it stayed in your stomach for seven years. It doesn't. It goes right through.

When I was like two I was always too busy playing to eat, so my mom told me I had a tiger in my tummy and it would run away if I didn't feed it. And then I'd eat.

I'm pretty sure I thought when a man and a woman kiss, sometimes God will put a baby in the woman. Because come on, the stork thing is ridiculous and clearly false even at that age.

Edited by Dragoncat

When I was 5 I believed that all important technologies could be developed rapidly by creating machines that would combine the knowledge of people's brains together, because knowing everything that other people know would lead to rapid insights and technology developments. If that sounds unusual then it's because it is...I took an early interest in such matters as a child. It's silly because in reality it would just lead to the development of more aggressive technologies and markets to accelerate the degeneration, power concentration, and despair in society. The only hope is to develop gene drives that create more compassionate and intelligent offspring. Without fixing humanity itself, there is no hope. Unfortunately not enough people are depressed and insightful enough to see the true evils of the world. Most people are haunted by delusions that everything is okay, and those who know that not everything is okay are often too depressed to figure out what the real problems are. They'll blame themselves before they see the systematic ways in which suffering is generated and fueled. Just nearby where I live there was a gathering of people to complain about homelessness. These were multimillionaires complaining that they didn't want to see homeless people in their town. Such is just a tiny microcosm of greater evils that exist. We neglect members of our own species, which is bad enough, but to make matters worse we translate our unconscious biases into conscious biases and judgments that somehow homeless people are to blame for their own conditions. Utterly absurd.

When I was little, I believed that all plants originated from trees, like potatoes came from trees

And also that all things could at least had some sort of feeling, I was feeling bad because I kicked a rock by accident

Most of these are from when I was really young, but that doesn't make them any less funny:

I thought that WW2, medieval times, the golden age of piracy, Star wars, and more were actually still happening, and if you wanted to go from a soldier to a knight to a Jedi, you just traveled to a different continent or world.

I didn't know that CGI or puppetry were a thing (although being fair, both of those can be very visually convincing when done well. And/Or when your age is in the single digits) so I thought that Yoda and Elmo were actual actors that filled niche roles. Although I did wonder why Kermit and Grover had lines connected to their arms. Speaking of puppets, I also thought that Luke Skywalker's, C-3PO's, and R2-D2's (and Chewbacca's) cameos on The Muppet Show were canon in the Star Wars EU.

I thought that video game programmers had to plan out every, single, action that a player could perform. Which meant I believed sequence breaking, glitches, and bugs were pre-planned and put in intentionally.

30 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I thought that WW2, medieval times, the golden age of piracy, Star wars, and more were actually still happening, and if you wanted to go from a soldier to a knight to a Jedi, you just traveled to a different continent or world.

This would actually be kinda cool lol.

I thought that if I lost blood I would die and this was really scary for me because I was going through this as a 3/4 year old and at 3 I was diagnosed with type one diabetes.  I was really scared all the time that I would die because of the blood sugar checks I have to do before I eat and back then the meter to a lot of blood.  I remember that my parents ended up making me believe that band-aids put the blood back and so every time I had my sugar tested I had to have a band-aid put on that finger.  I wore band-aids on my fingers until I was 7.  

10 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I thought that if I lost blood I would die and this was really scary for me because I was going through this as a 3/4 year old and at 3 I was diagnosed with type one diabetes.  I was really scared all the time that I would die because of the blood sugar checks I have to do before I eat and back then the meter to a lot of blood.  I remember that my parents ended up making me believe that band-aids put the blood back and so every time I had my sugar tested I had to have a band-aid put on that finger.  I wore band-aids on my fingers until I was 7.  

That really sucks :(

I mean I hate having diabetes myself but from what you've said I know it can be worse. Much worse, type 2 is much more easier to deal with.

I remember a Rugrats episode where they pretty much thought the same thing I think.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

That really sucks :(

I mean I hate having diabetes myself but from what you've said I know it can be worse. Much worse, type 2 is much more easier to deal with.

I remember a Rugrats episode where they pretty much thought the same thing I think.

The tech to control it has gotten a lot better along with the insulin.  As a kid it was really hard to live with and my teen years were living hell, but since I went on the pump and got a doctor who keeps up with new treatments it is a lot better.  As a little kid it was the worst because a little kid does not understand stuff like "if you don't take the shot you will get really sick", I can laugh a little now at some of the things I thought about my diabetes as a kid, some of what I thought is a bit silly now that I have had things like bio and chem classes.

That color didn't exist in the past. Why? Because old photographs and movies were in black and white.

Also, "the president has infinite money!". Didn't realize the hyperinflation that could cause, or that inflation at all existed, or any aspect of politics and budgets.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That color didn't exist in the past. Why? Because old photographs and movies were in black and white.

This is pretty common.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was small, I had trouble sleeping (long story), so my dad told me that the moon was actually watching over me so I could feel safe at night. That "lie" actually sparked my interest in astronomy which in turn caused me to get into mythology and stuff.

Edited by DragonFlames

• 2 weeks later...

Well the cause of death you are describing actually is possible, if you have a condition called haemophilia, where if you get just a little cut you can die because your blood doesn't clot properly. But I actually believed that if you were bleeding and you licked or swallowed your own blood, you would actually get that blood back. Now I'm a bit sceptical as to whether that's actually true.

I used to believe in "fan monsters" as a little kid. And I would draw faces on the plastic panels on the covers of the fans. I also believed in sentient traffic lights. WTF was wrong with me??? XD

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053
Needed to add something.

• 3 weeks later...