August’s Legendary Hero - Marth: Hero-King (August 28 ~ )

Coolmanio

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Exalted Falchion" is the localized name of the weapon in Awakening and Warriors, used to differentiate it from Sealed Falchion (Chrom's) and Parallel Falchion (Lucina's).

Its title in Japanese is 神剣 (shinken), "Divine Sword", though notably differs from Divine Tyrfing's 聖剣 (seiken), "Holy Sword" or "Sacred Sword".

Well that sounds much less specific than Exalted, no direct association with the leadership of Ylisse. And that appears, according to SF's old name chart which I now remember, is just "Holy Ruler" (no gendering of the title), and that is quite generic it appears, without sharing either character with shinken.

To be fair to NoA translation here, Marth doesn't have his own Falchion in FE13, he has to borrow Lucina's or Chrom's when playable. Chrom is the Exalt after experiencing a somber Fall in Plegia, calling his unsealed Falchion "Exalted" makes sense in this way. They just didn't plan ahead for FEW and FEH, expectable.

TMS did have another alternative, it has Falchion, Exalted Falchion, and then as Itsuki's ultimate NG+ only arena weapon, the True Sword Falchion. But "True Sword" might be too long for FEH, and simply "True Falchion" not cool enough.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll agree the choice of the word "Exalt" is weird, since Marth was 1000 years before that was ever a thing, could they not have come up with something like "Heroic Falchion"?

As for Marth being despised, c'mon, be happier! Being stuck in such a glum mindset isn't going to make things so enjoyable. Five alts is far away. Who knows? Maybe Marth would be the exception to that criticism?

If he wasn't well just cast it as balancing "too much modernity" favoritism- Lucina, Takumi, and Camilla alts, and "too much classic NA-EU" favoritism in the form of so many Hector and Lyn alts, with "Too much real Japan-included classic FE" favoritism. A lesson that all parts of FE are equally valuable and deserve to be represented fairly.

That's kind of semantic, but I think "Divine" sounds more grandiose. Although I personally think "Heroic" sounds more appropriate given how grand his legend tends to be.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Marth being despised, c'mon, be happier! Being stuck in such a glum mindset isn't going to make things so enjoyable. Five alts is far away. Who knows? Maybe Marth would be the exception to that criticism?

If he wasn't well just cast it as balancing "too much modernity" favoritism- Lucina, Takumi, and Camilla alts, and "too much classic NA-EU" favoritism in the form of so many Hector and Lyn alts, with "Too much real Japan-included classic FE" favoritism. A lesson that all parts of FE are equally valuable and deserve to be represented fairly.

I don't want Marth to get any hate either, but I hate double standards either. Well, it's not likely he'll have a 5th alt anytime soon anyways, but I never had a problem with alts to begin with. Well maybe except how they made the CYL2  alts seem less grand in comparison of last year, but that just me.

And I'm more depress that I have to snipe for Marth. Wouldn't happen if he just won CYL 2 poll like he technically did. Then again, he probably wouldn't have the same skill sets, so maybe it's blessing in disguise.

5 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I think the reason he is also showed to wield the Exalted Falchion is to point out that Marth wielded Falchion at its full power back then, but 2000 years later, Falchion needed to go through a ritual to unlock its full power, as most of its power was sealed for some unspecified reason.

Or they'll retcon it & make him the 1st exalt that's mention in Awakening. Wonder how many people get trigger by that?

5 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Marth being despised? That absolutely should NEVER happen.

Marth deserved getting a legendary more than anyone else in my opinion.

Then that would mean people have double standards if they're ok with Marth getting a 5th alt & I'm not talking about genders.

While Marth certainly deserves to getting this kind of attention to begin with (he's the famous lord in & out of universe), it doesn't change that Alm, Leif, & Seliph deserve to have shot as well. I say Sigurd, but he's kind already living to the hype already. Plus I don't see him wielding a random ax anytime soon. Although I seriously doubt anyone would be complaining a "Legendary Ax wielding Sigurd"

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

Or they'll retcon it & make him the 1st exalt that's mention in Awakening. Wonder how many people get trigger by that?

That's chronologically impossible, though. Given that the First Exalt is literally 1000 years after Marth.

The only retcon I see for Marth is giving him Naga's Holy Blood or something.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Then that would mean people have double standards if they're ok with Marth getting a 5th alt & I'm not talking about genders.

I doubt he will get a 5th alt anytime soon. Given how long it took for Marth, a starting hero with animation, to get his first Alt, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

That would mean having to make Marth live for 1000 years, since the Exalt lived 1000 before Awakening, and Marth 1000 before that. Could they do this? Well all they need to do really is invent a form of cryostasis for Marth to not age in. Or at least put his soul in stasis after he dies in old age, and they could generate a new young body for him to use when the new crisis moment arises. This second method lets them hide the First Exalt is actually Marth, since he could take a new name after his return. 

And I don't think anyone would complain really, we know very little of the First Exalt, so there is nothing to be too attached to. They're likely to be blue-haired and look something like Marth with Marth's genes in their family history, so Marth being it is just cutting out the middleman.

Or the First Exalt is a Lucina who ended up miscalculating her chronological destination big time.

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That's chronologically impossible, though. Given that the First Exalt is literally 1000 years after Marth.

That's assuming they even care to about being accurate to begin with. It's not like IS hasn't been fickle about this & still confusing on whether the Fire Emblem series takes place in one specific timeline with alternate timelines being a thing like Awakening did or it's alternate universes like it's implied in Heroes. Then again, I fail to see what IS has to gain by retconing to Marth being the 1st Exalt to begin with.

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I doubt he will get a 5th alt anytime soon. Given how long it took for Marth, a starting hero with animation, to get his first Alt, yeah.

Yea, probably. Ike still hasn't a new alt in the last 6 months which is beyond weird.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That would mean having to make Marth live for 1000 years, since the Exalt lived 1000 before Awakening, and Marth 1000 before that. Could they do this? Well all they need to do really is invent a form of cryostasis for Marth to not age in. Or at least put his soul in stasis after he dies in old age, and they could generate a new young body for him to use when the new crisis moment arises. This second method lets them hide the First Exalt is actually Marth, since he could take a new name after his return. 

And I don't think anyone would complain really, we know very little of the First Exalt, so there is nothing to be too attached to. They're likely to be blue-haired and look something like Marth with Marth's genes in their family history, so Marth being it is just cutting out the middleman.

Or the First Exalt is a Lucina who ended up miscalculating her chronological destination big time.

I think IS wouldn't even care about logic to begin with. And I don't see what IS even has to gain by retconning Marth to being the 1st Exalt to begin with other for the giggles.

That is one of hell of a tinfoil theory. I like it

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yea, probably. Ike still hasn't a new alt in the last 6 months which is beyond weird.

Yeah. He's possibly the most popular character in the series and is definitely the most popular male, and yet IS still refuses to give him any seasonal alts. Summer would've been perfect for him to show off his muscles... Yet somehow they decided five Lyns in just over a year was a better idea. >_>

Edited by Anacybele

I could not be happier with the choice this time:

1) I knew the pattern would get broken soon enough, but I don't know if it could have ever been called a pattern in the first place. It always felt coincidental to me. At least others will be able to stop insisting that it is now.
2) I wouldn't have had a problem with Alm being a Red Bow as many people have apparently "guessed"/wanted, but I'm kind of glad it isn't. Marth was well overdue for a proper alt after getting shafted a few months ago, and ro be honest, I'd like to see less special focus on Echoes and more on anything pre-3DS era.

I'm not so sure how to feel about his kit, though. Exalted Falchion looks great and so is more Atk/Spd Bond availability, but he feels very situational as a whole (i.e. specialized dragon killer). At least his discount Regnal Astra is a thing. If his base Speed at least matches Ayra's, then he'll be fantastic because of that alone.

Anyways, regarding the banner itself, I've got two other banners to focus on so it's a good relief that I'm 3 for 3 for Blue, Green and Colorless. So I'll probably pull everything on the first session due to the discount, and then I'm entirely focusing on Red. I'd at least like to try for 2 of 3.

30 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

That's assuming they even care to about being accurate to begin with. It's not like IS hasn't been fickle about this & still confusing on whether the Fire Emblem series takes place in one specific timeline with alternate timelines being a thing like Awakening did or it's alternate universes like it's implied in Heroes. Then again, I fail to see what IS has to gain by retconing to Marth being the 1st Exalt to begin with.

Depends on how severe the retcon is. The First Exalt is a plot device character for the sole purpose of being like Anri, where plot conveniences happened and many lores got changed/established. If it happened 1000 years later, then we can have a time period when the Binding Shield's function changed, the Earth Dragons' existence, Tiki moving to Valm, etc.

2 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Apparently some people calculated Marth’s stats. And it seems he might have a stat line of 40/34/34/29/26 for his stats. 

I did these calcs last night:

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

He's attacking the blue dragon on Chapter 2-9-1 Lunatic in the first battle, who has 29 Def, and Marth does 31 damage to her. That gives him 50 Atk with Exalted Falchion equipped or base 34 Atk.

Hardin is being fought on Chapter 2-5-4 Normal, who has 15 Def, and Marth does 25 damage to him. That's also 50 Atk with Exalted Falchion equipped. Hardin has 21 Atk and deals 0 damage, so Marth has a minimum of 25 Def.

Fire Emblem deals 11 damage to Hardin, which puts Marth's Spd at 37-39 with Exalted Falchion equipped, or 34-36 without.

That sets his level-40 base stats at:

• 40 HP
  • 34 Atk
  • 34-36 Spd
  • At least 25 Def
  • At most 31 Res

31 Res comes from the minimum Spd (34) and Def (25) values and the maximum total (164), so it's almost certainly much lower.

Everything assuming no buffs on Marth (none of the enemies are likely to have buffs) and Atk/Spd Bond not active.

Marth looks fun. He's basically immune to Panic and will be a monster with Tactics and Waves. I have five Dragon Effective weapons already, but he looks to put them all to shame. I have the resources to give Titania her tactic refine so hopefully I can get him to pair him with triple tactics. I'm very concerned about the cost though. Jugdral is my favorite continent (tied with Magvel), and it looks like it's getting a banner soon. I've been burned on legendaries before, so hopefully I can get him or at least pity broken quickly.

Also, if we don't count the Yato (since it's not in it's Omega form unless it is once it's refined), we finally have a Fire Emblem in Fire Emblem Heroes. It only took them a little over year and a half, which isn't the longest it took for it to show up.

42 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Depends on how severe the retcon is. The First Exalt is a plot device character for the sole purpose of being like Anri, where plot conveniences happened and many lores got changed/established. If it happened 1000 years later, then we can have a time period when the Binding Shield's function changed, the Earth Dragons' existence, Tiki moving to Valm, etc.

Yea, that's true too.

17 minutes ago, AndrewMcC00l said:

He's basically immune to Panic

He's definitely vulnerable to Panic. For any skill that uses the value of buffs for any calculation (Litrblade, Sieglinde, etc.), only positive buffs are taken into account. Negative bonuses (Panicked buffs) and penalties (true debuffs) are always ignored.

A Legendary Marth with -6 Atk from Panicked Atk Tactic 3 would not receive an in-combat buff from Exalted Falchion.

Edited by Ice Dragon

25 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

More Marth alts? I can see him and Alm getting at least one more before the year ends. 

It'd be nice to get an Alm alt. He's the only non-Jugdral lord who hasn't gotten an alt yet, and he's far more recognized than the Jugdral trio right now.

Marth seems pretty set for the moment, though. He doesn't need to pull a Chrom and get three alts in one year.

15 minutes ago, Othin said:

It'd be nice to get an Alm alt. He's the only non-Jugdral lord who hasn't gotten an alt yet, and he's far more recognized than the Jugdral trio right now.

Marth seems pretty set for the moment, though. He doesn't need to pull a Chrom and get three alts in one year.

I can see one of them take Christmas while the other gets Halloween. 

“You guys want Marth alts? We’ve got you covered! Count Marth and Santa Marth! Alm?  uhh...give him the Harvest Festival. Put Kliff there too so his fans stop complaining.”

Edited by Lord-Zero

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

One small issue with this, that being Marth would have had to have gotten it from Anri, but Anri died a bachelor. So it'd require Naga Blood be given to Anri's brother Marcelus too, although I'm sure Gotoh would be capable of that (Naga is still too dead to do it). They could just drop Marcelus and make Marth Anri's direct descendant. Although I like Anri dying alone, Artemis's Curse and all. It is befitting of a selfless king, in becoming the champion of humankind and fighting Medeus, he forsook the personal joy of love, for the world's salvation. Something Marth, if he had to bear it, would be willing to do, that "Prince over son and brother" line again.

1 hour ago, AndrewMcC00l said:

Also, if we don't count the Yato (since it's not in it's Omega form unless it is once it's refined), we finally have a Fire Emblem in Fire Emblem Heroes. It only took them a little over year and a half, which isn't the longest it took for it to show up.

I'd count the Binding Blade too. To unseal the Binding Blade from its pedestal, Roy must place the Fire Emblem in the sword. Therefore, the jewel on the hilt of the Binding Blade is the Fire Emblem, and by poetic extension, the Binding Blade is the Fire Emblem, it does get literally fiery with its crit animation too.