If you could go back in time and replace reps, who would you choose?

If you could go back in time and replace any Smash characters with other representatives of the same series, who would you have chosen? Why? Assume that the game is fully trusted to succeed by Nintendo at the time and resources are not a factor.

Mine are as such:

Pokemon

(Removed) All Current Reps

(Added) Red (Pikachu, Charizard)

(Added) Blue (Blastoise, Ivysaur)

(Added) Giovanni (Mewtwo, Meowth)

(Added) Silver (Cyndaquil, Feraligatr)

(Added) May (Blaziken, Gardevoir)

(Added) Dawn (Empoleon, Lucario)

(Added) N (Serperior, Zoroark) 

(Added) Serena (Greninja, Braixen)

(Added) Gladion (Decidueye, Type: Null)

By turning individual Pokemon into trainers, more reps can be included while condensing the roster. Two pokemon were chosen to make switching less clunky than with three Pokemon.

Fire Emblem

(Removed) Roy

(Added) Hector

While there is certainly an argument to be made for Lyn, Hector presents a huge missed opportunity as an axe wielding, armored heavyweight, and thus he would have been my choice for the GBA era.

(Removed) Lucina (made Masked Lucina an alt costume for Marth, with all of his alternate colors)

(Removed) Chrom

(Added) Tiki (Awakening)

Tiki is an important, iconic series character and would have made for a great 2nd Awakening rep with a unique manakete style moveset. Plus, it would be fun to see the older Tiki interact with Marth in a game.

(Removed) Corrin

(Added) Azura

Azura absolutely should have been the Fates rep. She is more iconic than Corrin and would have brought a fantastic, unique moveset.

Zelda

(Removed) Ganondorf (Smash)

(Added) Ganondorf (Warriors, alt. Wind Waker)

Replacing Diet Captain Falcon with a unique moveset based on his awesome Warriors incarnation would have done the character more justice. For fun, I would have included a Wind Waker alt costume with cartoon-style versions of his attacks.

(Removed) Toon Link

(Added) Midna and Wolf Link

(Removed) Young Link

(Added) Skull Kid

Kid Icarus

(Removed) Dark Pit

(Added) Hades, Viridi, or Medusa

Any of the above would work, really. 

Edited by Etheus

For Smash 4 I would have replaced Ganondorf with Pig Ganon from 2D Zelda games. Pig Ganon is just a cool monster design and unique power set. More interesting than most player's proposals of "give Ganondorf a sword". Twilight Princess was outdated at this point and It bugs me that none of the zelda games pre OoT have been explicitly referenced in Smash until Zelda's redesign in Ultimate inspired by Link to the Past. I also think the reintroduction of Ganondorf in his OoT design would have been even more hype as a result of his absence, much like how people are hyped to play Young Link and Pichu in Ultimate. That's a hard ask though, since I know it takes more work to create a whole new character than it is to just port Ganondorf from Brawl who had seen no redesigned moves or effects during the transition. 

More realistically for Melee I would have removed Falco and put Wolf in his place for sure. Wolf is even in the intro to the game as Fox's rival. If we assume the amount of development time and resources stay the same in these games than Wolf as a Fox clone that gets decloned a bit in Brawl is A-okay with me. If you ask me, Falco is one of the absolute most superfluous additions in Smash Bros. Up there with Pichu and only less so than Jigglypuff who was just chasing a popularity trend that hasn't held up at all.

And for Smash 64 I know there were talks of having Marth in the game. And I absolutely believe you could have built Marth from Link's Model and animations since he's also a sword and shield fighter canonically. They had to make Jigglypuff out of Kirby. So replacing Jigglypuff with Marth sounds feasible without increasing the development of Smash 64. Though I will admit Marth's popularity in 1999 doesn't hold a candle to Jigglypuffs. Marth does happen to be way more popular now, even with his status of being overshadowed by other Lords in crossover games. And Fire emblem exposure in Smash 64 assuredly would have prompted Nintendo to localize FE6.

And for Brawl...I think the character additions in that game were stellar. No problems here. Not having the development time to bring back Roy and Mewtwo definitely sucks, but there's nobody I'd easily give the boot in their place besides Jigglypuff (she's been in danger of being cut in every smash game sans Ultimate). Jiggs for Mewtwo is a good trade in my imo.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

None because Sakurai is much better at this then I'd ever be.

To that, I say we (and the Sakurai of today) have one advantage that Sakurai did not have - hindsight. Sakurai is a brilliant designer who has put his heart and soul into these games, but even he cannot predict the relevancy of a character into the future. 

Would the Sakurai of today include Jigglypuff or Roy if he had the power to see the trajectory of Smash Bros and Nintendo going forward? I'm going to wager a guess that he probably wouldn't. But the Sakurai that made the older games only had the view and the resources available to him at that point in time. Things like character diversity and series representation matter less, after all, when one cannot conceive of their fledging game as a massive console-selling success, with enough influence to bring other franchises into the worldwide limelight, spanning almost 20 years (shit, man, I'm old). 

Edited by Etheus

(removed) chrom

(added) literally anyone else or nothing for that matter though, speaking in the context of preferences I would like to see the black knight, smash bros. could use more villains and the black knight is the only one who manages to have popularity and realizability when compared to others, also, he just brings waaay more to the table than mr. proof that Ike is gay... for marth.

(removed) lucina

(removed) Lyn (assist trophy)

(added) cut due to time constraints Lyn, she actually brings something to the game unlike bargain bin meth, not to mention stupid popularity, I think if they started working on ultimate in 2017 lyn would be without a doubt in smash bros. a thing that would cause the fan base to implode due to backlash.

(added) moar sords, just to spite the complainers

I would just have Meowth replace Jigglypuff, but I already know why she's in the game & I don't see why Meowth couldn't just be added in the future.

Honestly, for all my wants & my disdain for Dr. Mario's existence I wouldn't want to replace any characters at the expense of another. And I'm foolish enough to believe my dream roster would be best for the franchise.

8 hours ago, Etheus said:

Pokemon

(Removed) All Current Reps

(Added) Red (Pikachu, Charizard)

(Added) Blue (Blastoise, Ivysaur)

(Added) Giovanni (Mewtwo, Meowth)

(Added) Silver (Cyndaquil, Feraligatr)

(Added) May (Blaziken, Gardevoir)

(Added) Dawn (Empoleon, Lucario)

(Added) N (Serperior, Zoroark) 

(Added) Serena (Greninja, Braixen)

(Added) Gladion (Decidueye, Type: Null)

By turning individual Pokemon into trainers, more reps can be included while condensing the roster. Two pokemon were chosen to make switching less clunky than with three Pokemon.

You do know you're essentially asking for 17 Pokemon characters, right?

Fire Emblem

(Removed) Roy

(Added) Hector

While there is certainly an argument to be made for Lyn, Hector presents a huge missed opportunity as an axe wielding, armored heavyweight, and thus he would have been my choice for the GBA era.

I do agree with this to some extent. It'll do Hector more justice if he wield more than just an ax. But I'm not sure how Roy exclusion would give Hector the development time to differentiate himself from Marth.

(Removed) Lucina (made Masked Lucina an alt costume for Marth, with all of his alternate colors)

(Removed) Chrom

(Added) Tiki (Awakening)

Tiki is an important, iconic series character and would have made for a great 2nd Awakening rep with a unique manakete style moveset. Plus, it would be fun to see the older Tiki interact with Marth in a game.

How would removing the echo fighters give Tiki more time to develop her movesets? And you're fine with her being a small Manakete?

(Removed) Corrin

(Added) Azura

Azura absolutely should have been the Fates rep. She is more iconic than Corrin and would have brought a fantastic, unique moveset.

While I find both of those statements incredibly arguable & subjective, I would rather have Azura instead of Corrin for bias reasons. Corrin still stands among all the lord in the franchise.

Zelda

(Removed) Ganondorf (Smash)

(Added) Ganondorf (Warriors, alt. Wind Waker)

Replacing Diet Captain Falcon with a unique moveset based on his awesome Warriors incarnation would have done the character more justice. For fun, I would have included a Wind Waker alt costume with cartoon-style versions of his attacks.

As sad as it sounds, the whole reason why he was C.Falcon's clone was because there was no time for him to have his own moveset. Everyone & their mothers wanted a non clone Ganondorf to begin with.

(Removed) Toon Link

(Added) Midna and Wolf Link

(Removed) Young Link

(Added) Skull Kid

Again, removing the clones & echo fighters wouldn't gave them more time to develop a new characters. I've seen my share of that have people complaining how much injustice Young Link & Toon Link are in the game. I like the choices, but that's not how that works.

Kid Icarus

(Removed) Dark Pit

(Added) Hades, Viridi, or Medusa

Any of the above would work, really. 

Once again, that's not how that works. I wanted those 3 as much the next guy but replacing a barely develop character wouldn't have made them possible to be in the game.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

For Smash 4 I would have replaced Ganondorf with Pig Ganon from 2D Zelda games. Pig Ganon is just a cool monster design and unique power set. More interesting than most player's proposals of "give Ganondorf a sword". Twilight Princess was outdated at this point and It bugs me that none of the zelda games pre OoT have been explicitly referenced in Smash until Zelda's redesign in Ultimate inspired by Link to the Past. I also think the reintroduction of Ganondorf in his OoT design would have been even more hype as a result of his absence, much like how people are hyped to play Young Link and Pichu in Ultimate. That's a hard ask though, since I know it takes more work to create a whole new character than it is to just port Ganondorf from Brawl who had seen no redesigned moves or effects during the transition.

I seriously doubt Sakurai & his team even put any effort into Ganondorf's transition from Brawl to Smash 4.  His models looks like it's just ported from Brawl.

6 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Replace Roy with Leif who Sakurai wanted from the beginning

He'll still just be Marth's clone at the end of the day. 2 installments later, Roy still doesn't have his projectile & he's still being called "Fire Marth" so it's not like Leif will be this magical swordsman like he is in Thracia. I mean, if you're cool with that then far be it from me to tell you otherwise.

Just now, Etheus said:

Read the OP. I clearly stated "assume resources are not a factor." This isn't meant to be realistic. It's meant to be ideal. 

Then there would be no point to replace them to begin with

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

until Zelda's redesign in Ultimate inspired by Link to the Past.

*A Link Between Worlds

Anyway...

Fire Emblem

Remove Chrom, Corrin, Lucina and Roy. Add Hector, Lucina is now an alt-skin of Marth.

Metroid

Remove Dark Samus, add Sylux.

If this is talking post-4 games that aren’t Ultimate…

Removed:

Lucina: I never minded Lucina being a Marth clone, but I couldn’t just make her an alt. She deserves better than that.

Dark Pit: Same with Dark Pit. Don’t mind him as a clone, but he deserves better than to be an alt.

Wii Fit Trainer: I don’t hate her, but let’s be real; she wasn’t necessary to save Smash Bros., if at all.

Falcondorf: I’d like to believe that, as stated by Zangetsu above me, Ganondorf would’ve had a unique moveset if Sakurai had more time to develop him.

Waluigi (Assist Trophy): Just to please his whiny fans (no offense to people who don’t whine about it).

Lyn (Assist Trophy): If Little Mac can do it, so can Lyn (and Waluigi, I guess).

Corrin: I suppose people do have a point about Azura being more iconic.

Added:

Alm: I would’ve technically replaced Chrom with him as Roy’s Echo, but with a bow. And the Final Smash would be Dragonscale.

Neku Sakuraba: If we are to have a second Square Enix rep and it couldn’t be Sora or Geno, then I’d pick Neku.

Paper Mario: No, he’s not gonna be a third Mario and no, Mario doesn’t have too many reps.

Heihachi Mishima: I feel like Bandai Namco needs a second rep, so Heihachi was the guy I picked.

Decidueye: It’d probably be a Greninja situation if I was handed Decidueye’s conept art as well that of his Z-Move.

Bandana Dee: I’m getting pretty sick of this “Goomba with a hat” nonsense.

Hector: Just so everybody can shut up about too many Marths.

Azura: Please refer to Corrin, also Warriors shows that she has moveset potential.

Edited by Perkilator

8 hours ago, Perkilator said:

If this is talking post-4 games that aren’t Ultimate…

Removed:

Lucina: I never minded Lucina being a Marth clone, but I couldn’t just make her an alt. She deserves better than that.

Dark Pit: Same with Dark Pit. Don’t mind him as a clone, but he deserves better than to be an alt.

Wii Fit Trainer: I don’t hate her, but let’s be real; she wasn’t necessary to save Smash Bros., if at all.

Falcondorf: I’d like to believe that, as stated by Zangetsu above me, Ganondorf would’ve had a unique moveset if Sakurai had more time to develop him.

Waluigi (Assist Trophy): Just to please his whiny fans (no offense to people who don’t whine about it).

Lyn (Assist Trophy): If Little Mac can do it, so can Lyn (and Waluigi, I guess).

Corrin: I suppose people do have a point about Azura being more iconic.

Added:

Alm: I would’ve technically replaced Chrom with him as Roy’s Echo, but with a bow. And the Final Smash would be Dragonscale.

Neku Sakuraba: If we are to have a second Square Enix rep and it couldn’t be Sora or Geno, then I’d pick Neku.

Paper Mario: No, he’s not gonna be a third Mario and no, Mario doesn’t have too many reps.

Heihachi Mishima: I feel like Bandai Namco needs a second rep, so Heihachi was the guy I picked.

Decidueye: It’d probably be a Greninja situation if I was handed Decidueye’s conept art as well that of his Z-Move.

Bandana Dee: I’m getting pretty sick of this “Goomba with a hat” nonsense.

Hector: Just so everybody can shut up about too many Marths.

Azura: Please refer to Corrin, also Warriors shows that she has moveset potential.

The OP states you have to replace characters with other characters from the same series. So, for example, you have to replace Wii Fit Trainer from the Wii Fit series, with some other character from the Wii Fit series.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

10 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The OP states you have to replace characters with other characters from the same series. So who are you replacing Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit and Ganondorf with, again? :smug:

For Ganondorf I think he wanted jsut an updated moveset so he’s no longer Falcondorf

Dark pit- easy Pyrrhon

wii fit trainer- what other Wii fit characters are there?

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

For Ganondorf I think he wanted jsut an updated moveset so he’s no longer Falcondorf

Dark pit- easy Pyrrhon

wii fit trainer- what other Wii fit characters are there?

Since when do you speak for him?

On 8/27/2018 at 8:04 PM, thecrimsonflash said:

(removed) chrom

(added) literally anyone else or nothing for that matter though, speaking in the context of preferences I would like to see the black knight, smash bros. could use more villains and the black knight is the only one who manages to have popularity and realizability when compared to others, also, he just brings waaay more to the table than mr. proof that Ike is gay... for marth.

(removed) lucina

(removed) Lyn (assist trophy)

(added) cut due to time constraints Lyn, she actually brings something to the game unlike bargain bin meth, not to mention stupid popularity, I think if they started working on ultimate in 2017 lyn would be without a doubt in smash bros. a thing that would cause the fan base to implode due to backlash.

(added) moar sords, just to spite the complainers

While I would also remove Chrom for design/roster reasons, calling him a "bargain bin Marth" is unfair, in my opinion. Marth (just like almost every other character in SD) is lacking from a personality standpoint, whereas Chrom has a personality, aspirations, and personal failings. He's actually one of my favorite lords, despite being overshadowed by the female-empowerment of Lucina and the wish-fulfilment of Robin.

While this is very much a matter of "for it's time" storytelling, the truth is that Marth is a diet Chrom, not the other way around; he just gets a free pass for being the original lord. 

Edited by Etheus

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

While this is very much a matter of "for it's time" storytelling, the truth is that Marth is a diet Chrom, not the other way around

I wouldn't call Marth a diet Chrom either. Marth is more mild and refined, and more willing to put country over personal relations- Chrom would've let Grima live and given Gangrel the Fire Emblem at different points in the plot had it not been for others, Marth I don't think would have done either. Marth is also on the whole more mild in personality, and softer in appearance, Chrom's DNA has genes inserted from the bolder, more brawling characters of Hector, Ephraim, and Ike.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't call Marth a diet Chrom either. Marth is more mild and refined, and more willing to put country over personal relations- Chrom would've let Grima live and given Gangrel the Fire Emblem at different points in the plot had it not been for others, Marth I don't think would have done either. Marth is also on the whole more mild in personality, and softer in appearance, Chrom's DNA has genes inserted from the bolder, more brawling characters of Hector, Ephraim, and Ike.

Perhaps that is fair as well. 

Though I think it important to state that Chrom is also quite mild in personality - especially if we count Warriors (which is also one of the main sources of dialogue and characterization for Marth). He's no Hector or Ike. He's not flawless with a significant sense of self-doubt and a degree of confidence issues. He's certainly not stoic or unromantic like Ike. If anything, I'd say he bears more similarity to Ephraim, with more emphasis placed on his political and social shortcomings. But even that's a stretch; Ephraim is a larger than life superhero with recklessness and lack of political acumen as his only downfalls, whereas Chrom emphasizes the same strength through unity that defines Marth with more grounded limitations and more humility. 

Edited by Etheus

27 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Perhaps that is fair as well. 

Though I think it important to state that Chrom is also quite mild in personality - especially if we count Warriors (which is also one of the main sources of dialogue and characterization for Marth). He's no Hector or Ike. He's not flawless with a significant sense of self-doubt and a degree of confidence issues. He's certainly not stoic or unromantic like Ike. If anything, I'd say he bears more similarity to Ephraim, with more emphasis placed on his political and social shortcomings. But even that's a stretch; Ephraim is a larger than life superhero with recklessness and lack of political acumen as his only downfalls, whereas Chrom emphasizes the same strength through unity that defines Marth with more grounded limitations and more humility. 

You're probably right. Chrom is rather regal, his HEI influences concern more his physical appearance than his personality. I can't see him being like Ephraim and telling Lissa to take the throne while he runs off fighting what Naga only knows. Not a bad idea, combining aspects of the two prior distinct male types of FE, the strong and the Marth-likes (as in Marth, Seliph, Roy, and Eliwood; I don't know what to do with Sigurd or Leif, although I've once heard Sigurd called "Eliwood but good at fighting"), I think the combination worked well. Take the general personality of the pretty boy, but downplay how effeminate it is to some by placing it on an indisputably manly form (those shoulders!).

I also find it odd that Ike in being stoic, is in a sense a step back from Ephraim and Hector and towards the Marth-likes, despite being the nominal commoner. Stoic is somewhat similar to mild, just more rough-hewn. I'd apply this more to PoR Ike than RD Ike.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're probably right. Chrom is rather regal, his HEI influences concern more his physical appearance than his personality. I can't see him being like Ephraim and telling Lissa to take the throne while he runs off fighting what Naga only knows. Not a bad idea, combining aspects of the two prior distinct male types of FE, the strong and the Marth-likes (as in Marth, Seliph, Roy, and Eliwood; I don't know what to do with Sigurd or Leif, although I've once heard Sigurd called "Eliwood but good at fighting"), I think the combination worked well. Take the general personality of the pretty boy, but downplay how effeminate it is to some by placing it on an indisputably manly form (those shoulders!).

I also find it odd that Ike in being stoic, is in a sense a step back from Ephraim and Hector and towards the Marth-likes, despite being the nominal commoner. Stoic is somewhat similar to mild, just more rough-hewn. I'd apply this more to PoR Ike than RD Ike.

He never expressed an interest in leaving the throne to Lyssa as far as I remember (THAT would be a terrible idea) but both siblings were clearly intent on letting Emmeryn rule and were justified in doing so. Of course, that didn't work out for obvious reasons, thrusting Chrom into a position he neither wanted nor was prepared for. 

I've always thought of Sigurd as being entirely unique among FE protagonists. He is the Ned Stark (or maybe Robb Stark) of Fire Emblem. He's honorable to a fault, trusts those he shouldn't, takes risks for love and country, and eventually pays the ultimate price for it. FE4 has so many unintended parallels to Game of Thrones. 

(And Sigurd is, without a doubt, my favorite FE lord because of it).

Edited by Etheus

Smash 64

Pokemon

Jigglypuff (Removed)

Mewtwo (Added)

Smash Melee

Fire Emblem

Roy (Removed) 

Eliwood (Added)

They should have made Sword of Seals localized 

Smash Brawl

Earthbound

Lucas (Removed)

Paula (Added)

Reason we couldn't even play Earthbound 3 until 2015 we still could even get earthbound 2 untill 2013

Tripping Mechanic (Removed)

Smash 4

Legend of Zelda

Sheik (Removed)

Impa (Added) 

At the time of skyward sword her popularity was growing, and hyrule warriors proved that they could make her stand out, zelda and sheik are already the same person . 

Fire Emblem

Robin (Removed)

Lucina (Removed)

Chrom (Added with a unique moveset)

That way awakening has only one representative veterans and casual FE fans are satisfied. (Remember I am trying to simulate going back in time, which means I'm going back to 2014 where Lucina and Robin arent as popular as they are now) 

Dark Pit (Removed)

Hades or Medusa (Added)

Sakurai what where you thinking!? 

Smash Ultimate

Castlevania

Ricther (Removed)

Its too soon for Simon to get an echo, that being said I think the game needs only one Belmont representative at the moment.

Dracula or Alucard (Added)

On 8/28/2018 at 1:01 AM, Glennstavos said:

The designs are virtually identical with Smash taking elements from both. Also worth noting is that A Link to the Past is "Triforce of the Gods" in Japan while A Link Between Worlds is "Triforce of the Gods 2"; the Japanese could've just as easily been referring to the subseries, and again the designs were merged together and incredibly similar in the first place-- so trying to "correct" someone saying it's from ALBW is rather petty.
https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/smash-bros-ultimate-which-zelda-is-that-alttp-albw/ (which specifically calls out SG's translation as lacking in context)

Edited by The DanMan

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The designs are virtually identical with Smash taking elements from both. Also worth noting is that A Link to the Past is "Triforce of the Gods" in Japan while A Link Between Worlds is "Triforce of the Gods 2"; the Japanese could've just as easily been referring to the subseries, and again the designs were merged together and incredibly similar in the first place-- so trying to "correct" someone saying it's from ALBW is rather petty.
https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/smash-bros-ultimate-which-zelda-is-that-alttp-albw/ (which specifically calls out SG's translation as lacking in context)

What I said in the first place is that nothing in smash represents a pre OoT Zelda. Now Zelda's redesign does. With my joke of a hashtag (which is not a substitute for an argument, it's a joke meant to encourage some research on something I find interesting)I was trying to point out there was more to it than our false translation suggested. Now you say I'm not only incorrect, but petty? Imagine a pot doing so much research before calling the kettle black.