What are some stuff that other countries have that you wish your country got?

XRay

I am bored.

So, uh, yeah. What the title says! So what is missing in your life?

Canada, France, Germany: Can America borrow and never return your leaders please?

World: I want "regular" bathroom stalls. If you are not American, you might not know this, but our public bathrooms are very, very, very not private. Imagine a bathroom stall, and have the top and bottom 1/4 of the door and walls cut out. I guess one redeeming feature of the gaps are that you can ask your neighbor for spare toilet paper and have them hand it to you through the large gap.

Japan: Your toilets are amazing.

Europe: I know you are not a country, but I want NAFTA to be like the E.U. or maybe even combine NAFTA, the E.U., Latin America, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. Visa free, hassle free travel is the best.

Europe, Japan: I want modern trains. Even New York's subway is kind of shitty and outdated.

Brazil: I want your ethanol industry. I am not sure how expensive that is compared to gas, but it is a lot more environmentally friendly!

UK: Your accent is hot.

South Korea: Can you help us start a good girl band?

India, Mexico: We already have your food, but shout out to your food anyways because it is amazing, and THANK YOU for sending your people here! It does not offset our shitty foreign policy, but I hope it means something. I had Indian buffet during lunch and it was the bomb obviously.

Germany: Export your Radeberger to the West Coast, dude. It is not fair that only the East Coast got it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, XRay said:

Brazil: I want your ethanol industry. I am not sure how expensive that is compared to gas, but it is a lot more environmentally friendly

Ethanol is way cheaper than gas because Brazil doesn't have proper refineries to turn its oil into gas, it exports its own oil and buys it back as gas. One of the things I love about my country.

I'd say "everything". Brazil has a terribly high living cost overall (rent, services in general etc.), terrible infrastructure, high crime rates and poor public security, very expensive and poorly executed public transportations (without trains! Like, what the hell?), terrible education (it is sitting well below the world education rank), a high GINI coefficient, absurdly high taxes and fines, very few jobs for people without technical formations, and the amount of radical political parties/candidates is concerning.

Any first-world country is instantly better at any aspect.

19 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Ethanol is way cheaper than gas because Brazil doesn't have proper refineries to turn its oil into gas, it exports its own oil and buys it back as gas. One of the things I love about my country.

Interesting. Why not go full ethanol and not buy the gas back? That way, you keep all the money from exporting unrefined gas.

19 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I'd say "everything". Brazil has a terribly high living cost overall (rent, services in general etc.), terrible infrastructure, high crime rates and poor public security, very expensive and poorly executed public transportations (without trains! Like, what the hell?), terrible education (it is sitting well below the world education rank), a high GINI coefficient, absurdly high taxes and fines, very few jobs for people without technical formations, and the amount of radical political parties/candidates is concerning.

That sucks, do you think the next generation of politicians will be better? Usually, younger politicians seems to be more honest and more for the people, at least here in the US.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Every other first world country: Affordable healthcare

That is a good one. I think California is planning its own universal health care since Republicans basically scrapped the national one, although I am not sure how far our health care planning has gone.

Edited by XRay

I'll just look beyond the border for stuff to be jealous for. 

I want Belgium's beer culture and all their varied brands. 

I also want Belgian cities. From all I've seen those got those cute medieval looking buildings and cozy markets as opposed to our more modern looking ones. 

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Any first-world country is instantly better at any aspect.

Yeah, all of this! Like, they tried trains a century or so ago but we just don't use them cause things that use gas/ethanol have better industries that can lobby hard. Since this is a gaming forum i'm not ashamed to also put console/games prices as well, it's expensive as hell to play.

England, Japan, other 1° world countries: I want your efficiency in updating your Pharmacopeia, i hate that ours hasn't been updated since 2010! (more job related stuff than the rest, i know).

1 hour ago, XRay said:

World: I want "regular" bathroom stalls. If you are not American, you might not know this, but our public bathrooms are very, very, very not private. Imagine a bathroom stall, and have the top and bottom 1/4 of the door and walls cut out. I guess one redeeming feature of the gaps are that you can ask your neighbor for spare toilet paper and have them hand it to you through the large gap.

YES 

PLEASE

Basically Japan has a bunch of tech that I want including those toilets. I'm saying this specifically because I've recently went to Japan, and it was probably like a completely different futuristic world for me in comparison to New York City. Plus I want more Sushi, and more of Japan's perfectionist beef, and fishes.

Free Healthcare would be nice too.

There's also faster internet speeds like that from Korea and Norway, and that crazy one from that one place in Sweden that's like 1.6 Terabits/s.

Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, and France I want better soccer players in the US so I can finally cheer for my own country in the World Cup.

China: I just think Chinese girls are cute lol. Yeah, I guess China's tech and buildings would be nice too ;P

2 hours ago, XRay said:

That sucks, do you think the next generation of politicians will be better? Usually, younger politicians seems to be more honest and more for the people, at least here in the US.

No. I think our politicians are way too oriented for their radical views to provide with something interesting. It's either the radical left or the radical right that that catters enough support. For reference, the two leading candidates for Brazil's election are our ex-president from a radical left party (that won presidency runs thrice in a row), and a neoconservative with libertarian economy preferences and very unprogressive political and jingoistic preferences.

I wish our politics wasn't so... stagnated? There are plenty of left-wing parties and I'm tired of the same old politics from our political parties. I wish there was some sort of balance between the left and the right, between old and new ideas, but not even the newer right-wing is impressing me much with their libertarian economic views and hard conservative and unprogressive political views.

Overall, ok, to end this rant, I value a country for the opportunities it gives its citizens, and currently I don't see any short or medium term opportunities in Brazil. Finding a job is hard, living is expensive and dangerous, and there is little prospect for improvements. I wish I could move to another country and not return.

________

Belgian chocolate is also pretty good, from what I recall.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahaha

no

2 hours ago, Ae†her said:

There's also faster internet speeds like that from Korea and Norway, and that crazy one from that one place in Sweden that's like 1.6 Terabits/s.

I cannot believe I forgot about this. Our internet providers fucking suck. It is one of the few industries that I actually wished the government would nationalize or heavily regulate like other utility companies.

2 hours ago, ChefGuevara said:

Singapore's public transportation, it's super cutting edge, efficient, keeps traffic down, and it's environmentally friendly. It's really great!

New York's public transportation is probably the best in the whole country, and that is a little sad. Everywhere else needs more transportation options. On the West Coast, at least in California, public transportation is kind of a joke. Unless you live along the light rail, most neighborhoods in my city do not have access to reliable public transportation; we have buses, but we operate too few of them to have a reliable schedule.

We are starting to have rental bikes, but I wish they are better regulated. We are getting more reports that bikes are being left or abandoned in improper places, like people's front lawns or driveways, and unlike New York, I do not see any bike racks where people can leave their rental bikes.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

Every other first world country: Affordable healthcare

I wish I could provide a more fun answer but yeah. 

I guess public transit would be nice. I don't know which other countries are doing it the best in this regard but I'd take anything. Buses are infrequent and seldom within walking distance from your home. This is more a California thing than an America thing, but c'mon we should be leading the charge in this. Our car culture is outdated and getting way too expensive. Put more bike lanes in the streets - or at least more sidewalks to start. More bus routes. And build a bullet train between San Fran and LA. These sorts of public works projects would pay for themselves in no time. And also put a lot of people to work during construction - then ensuring those people can get to work cheaper after construction. Almost nobody in my state works in the same town they live. So a Driver's license is also basically a worker's license.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Almost nobody in my state works in the same town they live.

I live in Sacramento and most of us work where we live. Sacramento is pretty good at hogging all the government jobs.

I have to drive over to the next adjacent city for work, but at least it is still considered part of Sacramento's metropolitan area.

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And build a bullet train between San Fran and LA.

I think the proposal stalled a few years. I would not mind waiting a little longer and build the Hyperloop instead. I would not mind paying taxes for it, but I am not sure about everyone else though. Hopefully Elon Musk can negotiate with the government to work something out.

6 hours ago, Ae†her said:

Free Healthcare would be nice too.

*laughs in Britainese*

Something from another country that i would like is a consistent weather cycle FE3-6 because we still don't have officially released versions of those, nor remakes of them.

for something more specific to me, you've heard of those compact hotels from japan right? Because those would be useful pretty much anywhere, considering the fact that they're cheap, centrally located and just convenient (from what i've heard anyways). 

Going on about more lighthearted stuff

Japan: Clean streets. Littering is absolutely awful here

USA: Better curbs. For some reason they paint the curbs here white with cheap quality paint, which makes them extremely dirt and ugly.

Anywhere: Better sidewalks. Side walks here are awful.

On 31-8-2018 at 1:13 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I'll just look beyond the border for stuff to be jealous for. 

I want Belgium's beer culture and all their varied brands. 

I also want Belgian cities. From all I've seen those got those cute medieval looking buildings and cozy markets as opposed to our more modern looking ones. 

I can't believe you've been around since 2016 and I only just now realized you're Dutch.

I'll definitely agree on old buildings. I feel like the Netherlands just lacks that kind of charm...

1 hour ago, Julius Nepos said:

I can't believe you've been around since 2016 and I only just now realized you're Dutch.

I'll definitely agree on old buildings. I feel like the Netherlands just lacks that kind of charm...

Well, I don't exactly shout it from the rooftops. And since the Dutch are never talked about on here I don't really have much reason to bring it up either. 

We do lack that charm but on the other hand.....we got drugs :^_^: