What are some stuff that other countries have that you wish your country got?

XRay

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Apparently.

fd1af97e-551d-40a3-9a89-a274244a4641.jpg

Ugh... How are we still considered a first world country?

Well, it could be worse; at least it is not toilet water. The water coming out of that facet should be clean... I think. When my cat was a kitten, she once dipped her paws in the toilet and proceeded to drink the water on her paws. She immediately got a very long bath time afterwards to drive home the point that it is not okay to drink nasty toilet water.

15 minutes ago, XRay said:

Well, it could be worse; at least it is not toilet water. The water coming out of that facet should be clean... I think. When my cat was a kitten, she once dipped her paws in the toilet and proceeded to drink the water on her paws. She immediately got a very long bath time afterwards to drive home the point that it is not okay to drink nasty toilet water.

Aww. Cheeto will drink out of the toilet sometimes and Scamper would sit there and watch the toilet flush. As long as the water has nothing in it it's fairly clean, but just the fact of where it is, yeah. Dogs do that too. They don't care or understand. If it were my cat I'd just let it happen because it's not that big of a deal honestly.

Despite not actively living in Ireland, I'm actually mostly satisfied with it as a country. About the only thing I'd want would be a decent and affordable public transport system (rent prices in Dublin could also serve to be a hell of a lot lower, but that's more of a area specific than countrywide problem). Oh, that idiotic blasphemy law totally needs to be overthrown, but hopefully that'll happen soon.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:33 AM, Pengaius said:

Want every other EU country not sharing a border with a country that's leaving the EU (our economy already sucked now we're screwed)

also japans hirohiko araki and every other country's not having to learn the Irish language ( it sux so bad)

You don't have to learn it. Just fail the tests. Not like it's ever going to have any practical life applications, and they only count six subjects for the leaving cert anyway.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, DragonFlames said:

I want what Switzerland has: A national referendum for every single important decision and law, with emphasis on important. As it stands, Germany isn't a democracy, but a totalitarian state pretending to be a democracy (think capitalist DDR (GDR)).

I'd also like some of those epic sports cars you got in the US, please.

I'd like it if the rest of the world was more like Switzerland too, although a near absolute democracy like that does have some problems too.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, I don't exactly shout it from the rooftops. And since the Dutch are never talked about on here I don't really have much reason to bring it up either. 

We do lack that charm but on the other hand.....we got drugs :^_^:

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

You don't have to learn it. Just fail the tests. Not like it's ever going to have any practical life applications, and they only count six subjects for the leaving cert anyway.

True, but the fact that the class is mandatory for the majority of people is the worst, also the standard they require is just absolutely ridiculous. The problem is it gets rid of the one fail that the leaving cert allows you to get away with for nothing. Our secondary education system is so messed up in terms of scoring, an ordinary ( a word that means average mind you ) level A ( called an O1) is wort the same as a Higer level D (H6) so if you do ordinary level that subject is basically worth nothing ( unless it's required for a course), and the fact that you get 10 bonus marks on each paper if it's done through Irish (Doesn't count for the English or Irish paper) just gives people in the Gaeltacht an unfair advantage. The 25 extra points for higher level maths is just the worst though, as it means someone who's bad at maths can't get all 625 points in the leaving cert. 

8 hours ago, Pengaius said:

True, but the fact that the class is mandatory for the majority of people is the worst, also the standard they require is just absolutely ridiculous. The problem is it gets rid of the one fail that the leaving cert allows you to get away with for nothing. Our secondary education system is so messed up in terms of scoring, an ordinary ( a word that means average mind you ) level A ( called an O1) is wort the same as a Higer level D (H6) so if you do ordinary level that subject is basically worth nothing ( unless it's required for a course), and the fact that you get 10 bonus marks on each paper if it's done through Irish (Doesn't count for the English or Irish paper) just gives people in the Gaeltacht an unfair advantage. The 25 extra points for higher level maths is just the worst though, as it means someone who's bad at maths can't get all 625 points in the leaving cert. 

The bonus for doing via Irish is actually smallee than it seems. It's not a flat 10 marks, it's 10% of your grade up to 75%. So say you get 65%, you get a boost of 6.5%, which can be significant as it pushes you up a grade, but not as significant as the flat +10 that a lot of people think it is. I can't really fault them for wanting to keep the language alive, giving a bonus incentive in exams is about the only practical thing they have done with it (regarding everything else, it's just way too forced and lacks any practical advantage).

Regarding Honour's maths, it's hella hard so I think it should be weighed higher than other subjects. It wasn't in my day, and honours maths classes were basically empty by the end of sixth year. It just wasn't profitable to put so much energy into a subject that difficult when you can get a higher mark in something else for less effort and equal points. It was basically going extinct, at least in my community, which is a terrible thing as maths is like really, really important.

On other things Ireland lack, decent country roads. I don't know if any country is famed for having a decently maintained road system, but Ireland certainly ain't.

Edited by Jotari