Finished another "Ideal for RD transfer" PoR playthrough

Jhedin

So I picked up PoR and RD again lately and have been binging both.  After my initial new PoR playthrough heading into RD, I decided to do another PoR run focusing on useful A-supports to transfer as bonds, as well as the best possible stat transfers.  I also did something I always wanted to but never did before - I experimented a ton with Mist.

I finished with these lv 20s + stat caps:

Ike - HP/STR/SKL/SPD/DEF/RES

Mist - STR/MAG/SPD/RES

Ilyana - MAG/SKL/SPD/RES

Marcia - STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Kieran - STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Makalov - STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Jill - STR/SKL/SPD

Nephenee - STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Brom - HP/STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Astrid - STR/SKL/SPD

As an aside, I got this many 20s by doing some serious manipulation of Bryce in the endgame and just slow-poking him to death and letting the healer with a Physic blow through the entire Physic to keep him standing.  Mist got to 20 largely by good fortune - I loaded up my endgame characters that weren't fighting with all of my staves and let her blow through a couple Physics, a Ward, a Hammerne, a Rescue, and a Fortify to get her from lv8 to lv20.

On my initial playthrough, I focused largely on Daein characters to help with the Dawn Brigade - but in playing, I realized I tend to favor the non-transfer DB characters, so I focused this time on the Crimean knights instead, since I find those chapters drag the most due to lack of quantity and therefore lack of easy leveling.  Marcia and Makalov are almost always useless to me, so I made sure to get them set up for success this round.  In this spirit, I also linked in Kieran-Marcia and Astrid-Makalov for A-supports.  I also had Ike-Soren, Jill-Haar, Mist-Rolf, Zihark-Ilyana, and Nephenee-Brom at A.  I tried to get Zihark to 20, as well, but ran out of units - in fact, I had no units at 20 going into the endgame, with all of the above in the 16-19 range (including Zihark), so I had to pay attention a bit to manage it.  I'm a little annoyed that Jill didn't cap her DEF, either (she was one off).

I'm interested to see if my efforts pay off in the Crimea chapters of RD or not.  I'm also curious how other people get more than 10 20s - I had to really pay attention this playthrough to get this many; do people just abuse bosses on renewal tiles?  Knowing I missed my ideal goal (which would have included Zihark at 20) by about 3 levels, I can see where I might abuse Ena in the future.  Similarly, I made a mistake thinking Haar would make it to 20 and lost some overall team exp to him while I was getting his A-support with Jill.

As an aside - does anyone know if your entire support archive from PoR transfers to RD bonds?  I know the clear data in PoR stacks and keeps all of your historical supports, so that they transfer into the RD library - but do they all activate as bonds in that case, or only the active supports from the most recent playthrough?  

Hm, I'm a bit surprised that there's no Soren or Calill here, as RD mages definitely need a bit of a stat push to excel but obviously are quite good if they get it, since 1-2 range and targeting Res are good as always. Calill's omission in particular surprises me since you said you wanted to focus on the CRK, and she's one of the more useful ones.

Obviously the other notable omission is Zihark but your explanation that he just missed makes sense.

I find that Soren takes care of himself quite fine, and I pretty much barely use Calill, even in the Crimea missions.  I've always found Ilyana becomes a Part 1 beast with some transfers.

I rarely use Zihark or Volug, honestly - by the time Zihark isn't stealing xp from others, Edward is far superior and I have Mia waiting on the Greil Mercs side.  Zihark always ends up the odd man out.  And I just don't use many laguz, generally... that said, their support does help in that all-laguz Part 3 DB battle that everyone's underleveled for.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:41 PM, Truebladee said:

In my PoR playthrough for A supports & characters, I got around 20 characters of lvl 20. 

How?  I've never really managed more than 10 on a normal difficulty.  Maybe I'm not managing my kills/xp closely enough, but still never have come close to 20 regardless.

@Jhedin I don't think he is playing on normal or hard. I'm also very watchful of how I utilize BEXP and kills. I don't think I even average a dozen at 20 after multiple playthroughs of the game. Maybe, farming enemy healers and bosses allow for that many but I generally don't do that so that could be how but I guess I'll have to try that now. 

9 hours ago, Jhedin said:

How?  I've never really managed more than 10 on a normal difficulty.  Maybe I'm not managing my kills/xp closely enough, but still never have come close to 20 regardless.

I did it on easy difficulty. I can look up which characters I got to lvl 20. 

But I did not use boss abuse or something like that, because that is kinda boring

On 9/7/2018 at 1:38 AM, Jhedin said:

Oh yeah, I can't go easy since that wouldn't work for RD transfers.

It doesn't work with early NA editions of RD. Later NA editions and PAL region editions of RD work fine with Easy Mode saves.

• 4 months later...

This topic is kinda old but I’m going to respond anyway because it is on the first page. 

Playing on Normal difficulty, it is absolutely possible to get every single unit who is capable of transferring stats to 20/20. I did it myself and only left out Laguz who can’t possibly cap any stats anyways. Technically I didn’t finish the run, but I was only two or so chapters away with ~25 characters finished at 20/20 with multiple stats capped. It would have/ will finish someday with over 30 characters with transfers. It takes a lot of planning and odd tactics but if anyone is interested I could explain what I did in more detail.