Vestaria Saga: English Localisation Interview with DANGEN Entertainment

VincentASM

After it was revealed that DANGEN Entertainment were handling the English translation of Vestaria, I reached out to their staff to talk about various matters related to the localisation and acquistion of the game.

You can find our interview on the main site ^^

I tried my best to ask as many relevant questions as I could, but if you have any feedback, do let me know! Sharing would also be hugely appreciated : )

DANGEN not being willing to pin down a timeframe for when the translation will be complete is a tad worrying, if they can't get it done by June, they're over the moon.

At 100000 Japanese characters, that should mean about 50000 English words.

They do sound devoted to the task though, and understand the challenges associated with it. They sound like a small group that can't have it easy if what they do is just indie games, they can't pay that well I imagine.

How would they translate this game into other languages? I thought a general rule of translations was to translate primarily only into your mother tongue(s)?

I like the change from Liege to Lord, in a way it downplays the nobility of the title. Lord is a noble rank, a liege just means someone whom another serves, and while the connotation is a noble, it doesn't have to be.

I don't know whether is more annoying or a good thing that they didn't name any characters they particularly like. It feels like an evasive answer and denies me someone to attach my hype to. However, it too keeps my first impressions open and unbiased, and not, perhaps wrongly setting expectations for certain characters, which are later failed.

I was a little disappointed in this interview, to be honest. I don't think that's really your fault (or anyone else involved in it), but I got the impression that the translation team was unused to doing interviews and wasn't ready or able to reveal much. A lot of their answers were evasive or uncertain, and I felt I didn't get much from it.

They do seem dedicated to the project, though, and that's a good sign. I hope it sells well enough that they can tackle the second part, too... I really need to get around to trying out the demo sometime.

Also, 100,000 characters actually seemed low to me in comparison to numbers I've heard before, for what I assume is a story-heavy game... but that's still hardly a small number. Maybe my expectations are just skewed by things like the Kiseki games, which are absolutely massive. Does anyone know Vestaria Saga's script compares to Fire Emblem games or other RPGs? I'm wondering just how long it is and how much text it has.