Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H26258_Panzer_V_-Panther-.jpg

The Panther was a German medium tank (although its weight was closer to the classification of a heavy tank. However, it’s high power-to-weight ratio meant it was extremely mobile) built and used during the second World War along both the Eastern and Western fronts from mid-1943 to the wars end in 1945. It was officially designated as Panzerkampfwagen V Panther until February 27, 1944, when Hitler ordered the Roman numeral “V” be removed.

Image result for panther tank

The Panther is often considered one of the best tanks in World War 2, with excellent firepower and protection, even if its reliability was less than stellar. Indeed, it had the same engine as the Tiger I, but with more efficient frontal armor and better gun penetration, along with being lighter and faster and being able to traverse rough terrain more easily. The trade-off was its weak side armor, making it vulnerable to flanking. It also suffered several technical difficulties due to being rushed into the war, although they because less prevalent as time went on.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-244-2323-06A,_Ostfront-Süd,_Panzersoldaten

Tank crews consisted of a commander, a driver, a gunner, a loader, and a radio operator who doubled as a machine gunner. The Panther had a 7.5 cm gun, which was among the most powerful weapons of World War 2, due to its large propellant charge and long barrel. It held a supply of 40 anti-tank rounds and 39 high explosive shells, along with two MG 34 machine guns with and 5,100 rounds of ammo. Altogether, the Panther weighed 44.8 tons.

170px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-478-2167-09%2C_Italien%2C_Panzer_V_%28Panther%29%2C_Panzersoldat.jpg

Although 6000 Panther tanks were made by the Germans, interestingly, nine were made by the British army. Indeed, one of their strengths was their ease and cost of manufacturing. The French and Russian armies also used them when they could, although the latter often abandoned the tanks whenever they broke down, finding them too complex and not worthwhile to repair.

Image result for panther tank

As you can see, the Panzerkampfwagen V Panther was one of the best tanks in World War 2. However, its name had to come from somewhere, and to that, we look too...

Image result for panther

...Actual panthers. Interestingly, the word simply refers to any large cat species. Black panthers refer to the melanistic color variant, while white panthers refer to big cats with pale or albino fur. In Asia and Africa, panthers are called leopards, while in the America, they are called jaguars, and there is a subspecies of both called cougars.

Image result for panther

Panthers are great swimmers and are one of the strongest tree climbing cats, often pouncing on their prey from 20 feet away from a tree. They also have a strong jaw, as well as good eyesight and excellent hearing. Their fur makes it difficult to spot in the wild, especially at night.

Image result for panther

Although extremely rare, there actually are black panthers living in the wild in the state of Florida.

Image result for black panther comics

And last, but most certainly not least, there’s Marvel’s Black Panther, who recently had a movie release this year. The king of the fictional nation Wakanda, T’Challa is a brilliantly intelligent scientist and inventor, and is rigorously trained in both acrobatics and hand-to-hand combat. Having eaten the heart shaped herb, he has access to the previous Black Panthers memories and experiences, as well as increased strength, speed, durability, and senses. He also wears a vibranium suit, made of the same material as Captain America's famous indestructible shield, and isn't afraid to use a wide variety of technology on missions.

Created in 1966 in a Fantastic Four comic by legendary comic writers Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Black Panthers name predates the formation of the infamous Black Panther party, which was noted by Lee to be a “strange coincidence” (the character was temporarily renamed The Panther or Black Leopard for a while, although this change was short-lived). Mostly appearing in solo adventures with the Fantastic Four and the Avengers, it wasn't until Jungle Action #5 that the character had a story focused on him. Pioneering the self-contained, multi-issue story structure, the series was critically acclaimed, even if sales were low. Since then, Black Panther has had his own series, penned by several different people over the years, with perhaps Christopher Priests run being the most well-known.

Given that the Black Panther is a title that must be earned, several others have taken up the mantle, including Kasper Cole,Eric Killmonger, Shuri, and, hilariously, Everett Ross. T’Challa also married the super-heroine and mutant Storm in a highly publicized event. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he is portrayed by Chadwick Boseman, and debuted in Captain America: Civil War in a 2016.

170px-Chadwick_Boseman_as_Black_Panther_in_Captain_America_Civil_War.jpg

There's also this dastard:

Image result for star fox panther

This is my first ever shite post. Tried to do something a little clever. YMWV on whether or not it is, of course.

I spent more hours than I'm willing to admit, although less than I originally thought I would, creating this whole thing.

And trust me, if this weren't a FftF thing, I would be much, much more stingy about avoiding plagairism. As it is, yes, I did copy word for word (although I didn’t copy-paste (except once or twice)) information from wikipedia, as well as these sites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank 
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/top-25-facts-about-the-panther_tank.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/animals/panther.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(comics)
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/BlackPanther

Despite this being a FftF thing and altogether a shite post, FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ANYTHING I GOT WRONG!

I also listened to Corneria-Star Fox Zero Music Extended while writing this, in case you were wondering.

And the Main Theme for Smash Ultimate.

And the Warthog Run from Halo 3.

And the Theme of Ryu-Street Fighter 5 Music Extended.

And Danse Macabre, which I actually memorized and played during marching band season of my senior year of high school. I could play it so fast I was nicknamed “the Flash”. I also won a game of Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars while this song was blaring.

And finally, all the Wild Dog Themes from Time Crisis.

Edited by Hawkwing

13 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It took this long before you got a chuckle out of me. Well done.

The music for the Wild Dog fights are amazing. I think the first one is my favorite, though. It's the fastest and most energetic, which is fitting as it's the only time he's the final boss. The second one is, well, a close second, as I like the instrumental differences. That, and Time Crisis 2 was the first game of the series that I played and beat (in the arcade), and it's where he gets his signature machine gun arm.

Also...thanks, I guess? Does this mean that this is the first time I've ever gotten you to laugh? That the fact I brought up Wild Dog from Time Crisis was the only thing that made you chuckle out of the whole ordeal? That I spent too much effort on this dumb joke, and that's what makes it funny? That, like this statement, I'm intentionally over-analyzing this because it's potentially humorous? Or is it just a simple "well done" for how much research went into this?

There are several downsides to potentially not having a sense of humor. Or at least, not one that works well in written format.

12 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

All these Panthers yet no mention of the Abel archetype? Say it ain't so!

8 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

No love for Pink Panther!? :(

3 hours ago, ViceTOLUCT said:

Aw man! No Abel or actual fury panthers!

Duly noted, and research will begin on them... tomorrow. Simply because I'll be very busy today.

tbh the panther is too showy and steeped in myth, the stug 3 is where it's at

i'd say 'they shoulda just kept making stugs' but i'm glad the nazis kept trying to make bigger cooler tanks because they completely fucked themselves over

EDIT:

16 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Indeed, one of their strengths was their ease and cost of manufacturing.

heavens betsy no, the panther was an overengineered piece of machinery. it was greatly simplified compared to the p4, which was itself already overengineered. easy, cheap to manufacture tanks are all over ww2 in the billion sherman variants and the t34 etc. (heck even the stug 3 if you want to look in-house) but the panther definitely wasn't one

Edited by Integrity

Blame it on Speer's (in)decision to strike a balance between Hitler's "bigger gun" complex and the desire to manufacture a tank just as maneuverable as the Shermans.

4 hours ago, Integrity said:

tbh the panther is too showy and steeped in myth, the stug 3 is where it's at

The Panther was simply chosen because its name was convenient for the joke, and nothing more.

It is also worth noting that technology alone does not win wars. The Germans knowledge and experience with tank tactics, along with competent commanders, helped raise the tank to the status of fame it has now.

4 hours ago, Integrity said:

Heavems betsy no, the panther was an overengineered piece of machinery. it was greatly simplified compared to the p4, which was itself already overengineered. easy, cheap to manufacture tanks are all over ww2 in the billion sherman variants and the t34 etc. (heck even the stug 3 if you want to look in-house) but the panther definitely wasn't one

The Panther was over-engineered. Indeed, it was rushed into combat at the Battle of Kursk, and thus suffered several losses due to mechanical failure. The technological cinks and quirks were address over the years, although some still present throughout its lifespan.

Also, I was by no means comparing the Panther to the allied tanks. The United States was an industrial titan during the war, and this was able to mass produce tanks, vehicles, and equipment more than the Germans could ever hope too. Not to mention that Axis factories were constantly bombed, delaying production. At best, any comparison to production rates would be unfair.

Besides, the Panther was designed to be far cheaper than the Tiger I, and was only slightly more expensive than the Panzer IV. It was also built in mind to use less raw materials and take less time to produce. Whether this worked in practice, I will admit I do not know. If this were a formal research paper, and not a FftF post, I would have gone into loads more detail about the tank and the circumstances surrounding it.

5 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

Alright!

Still would like to add someone else:

The Panther King from Conker's Bad Fur Day

Eeeehhh...

I admit that I have not played the game, nor do I have any interest in doing so. Largely due to my distaste of supposedly "adult" humor.

Someone else can do it, if they so wish. Just try to keep it clean. I don't want this topic locked.

I'll be honest, when I first saw this I was gonna to reply with my own researched thing. I gave up after realizing that I needed sleep before school. 

Also Lions and Tigers are both in the Genus Panthera if you didn't know.

Edited by IfIHadToPickADude
it was hot at school and so i forgot to capitalize an i. sorry about that.

4 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

I'll be honest, when I first saw this I was gonna to reply with my own researched thing. I gave up after realizing that I needed sleep before school. 

Feel free to provide your research whenever you'd like! InConveniently, I forgot that college started up again the day after I posted this, which basically means I'll be having a lot less time on my hands. Still, it took less time that I thought it would to write the original post, so I may or may not keep this up. Depends on what the future holds.

4 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Also Lions and Tigers are both in the Genus Panthera if you didn't know.

Before looking up black panthers, I did not know that. Afterwards, yeah, it's a pretty cool fact!

3 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Bruh you left out m'boy abel the strongest green haired Lance cav in heroes (screw you oscar fans) how could you

also what about the panther chameleon?

Apparently, a lot of people want to see Able, so I guess that's the next goal.

20 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

It is also worth noting that technology alone does not win wars. The Germans knowledge and experience with tank tactics, along with competent commanders, helped raise the tank to the status of fame it has now.

Guderian and Rommel, yeah. One shouldn't also discount the tactics of Montgomery, Patton, and Bradley (? IIRC) on the Allies' side.

Edited by Karimlan

6 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Guderian and Rommel, yeah. One shouldn't also discount the tactics of Montgomery, Patton, and Bradley (? IIRC) on the Allies' side.

Again, the topic was simply about the Panther tank.

If I wanted to discuss the comparisons and differences between Allied and Axis tanks, as well as how they were used in the actual war, I would have made a very different topic.

Also, since college started up again, I may or may not continue this as a "for fun" thing. Depends on how much free time I have.