Playstation 4: Should I go Slim or go Pro?

Dai

For my birthday recently, a friend of mine got me a game for the Playstation 4 that I've been wanting for some time. However, I do not have the console to play it on. I was already planning on getting one, but I've just moved it up to the top of the list for my upcoming purchases. So, my question is this: is it worth my while to go ahead and get the Pro? Or is it not worth the $100 over the Slim?  I'd just like a few more opinions. My only issue with the Pro is the fact that, so far, it isn't available locally. I'd need to order it either online and have it ship to the store I purchase it from, or order it from another business (Amazon, etc.) and ship it home.

I'd say Pro. As nice as $100 is, being able to play most games with better performance and visuals will probably be worth more in the long run. It is a pretty reasonable upgrade for the price.

Edited by Slumber

I went with the Pro personally, though the God of War Bundle - featuring the game I was buying a PS4 to play - was pretty solid incentive to ignore the Slim.

If you can see yourself playing Playstation 4 games long into the future, then it's nice to be future proof with max performance on the games coming out, as well as better load times in general compared to the base or Slim model. I'd only go Slim if your money is tight and the PS4 isn't your system of choice for multiplatform games.

• 2 weeks later...

My only issue right now is that the Pro is literally sold out everywhere within range. I walk everywhere, and few people are willing to drive me upwards of twenty miles just for a game system. Amazon certainly isn't faring better, what with new versions costing almost $500. And, for record's sake, I'm trying to get a new one. Used is...not something I want to go for unless I absolutely must.

I should also add that shipment from certain retailers are out due to being unavailable as well. Why the hell is this thing selling like nuts?

Edited by Dai

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's only been like a week, but things have been looking...rather grim. Thus far, the moment I set out to buy it, it all vanished, with two particular stand-out examples. First, I bought it from Best Buy. It was available, but I bought it on their online store. They wanted me to verify my credit card via a pin that they were going to text me. The number they said they were going to text to did not match the number I gave them, in spite of receiving a text from them confirming my purchase. I never received the pin, and since I didn't verify it, they cancelled my order.

And yesterday, I saw a GameStop store close by had one in stock...so I went there right after work and waited an hour to buy it. They told me they didn't actually have it. Which...both were pretty heartbreaking.

Edit: To add insult to injury, the GameStop store updated not too long ago to add the Spiderman and Jet Black Pro's available for order, so I wound up going to the bank to drop money in to order, only to find out that it's a sham, yet again.

Edited by Dai

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as a wrap-up to this, I finally got my PS4 Pro. After some trouble ordering it online where the order would continue to cancel, I finally went into GameStop and ordered it in-store for a home delivery once they had a pre-order going on for a restock. At least now, a month after I got the gift, I can finally enjoy it. XD Looking forward to Kingdom Hearts III, now.

Oh, I have a similar question in this regard.
Since I have no idea how much space PS4 games need, I don't know how much memory the PS4 should have.
To give a few information: I don't plan to have more than like 15 games and most of them will be JRPGs (Sen no Kiseki III + IV, Tales of Berseria + Vesperia...)
If I can save a bit money, it would be cool.

I think all current models come with one terabyte, save for the 500 million, which is sold out: it had two. Hobestly, one is probably all you need.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:41 AM, Necrofantasia said:

Oh, I have a similar question in this regard.
Since I have no idea how much space PS4 games need, I don't know how much memory the PS4 should have.
To give a few information: I don't plan to have more than like 15 games and most of them will be JRPGs (Sen no Kiseki III + IV, Tales of Berseria + Vesperia...)
If I can save a bit money, it would be cool.

Low end, you'll see games around 25gigs as far as AAA titles go. Most seem to be around 30-40gigs, which realistically ends up being about 10-12 full digital games at a time. Red Dead Redemption 2 represents the opposite extreme, as that game is 105gigs.

I want to say the older Cold Steel games are like 15-20gigs. I have no idea how big 3 is, but I feel like it'd be quite a bit more, being built for more modern hardware. 

Indie stuff rarely ever gets much more than a gig or two. 

Edited by Slumber