Is Trick or Treating Dead?

Ronnie

I know Halloween isn't until next month but I can't shake this feeling that this holiday tradition is dead now... at least in NYC. How about where you live?

I used to go trick or treating as a kid and I still saw kids doing it even when I was in high school. Around 2013 onward I've seen less and less kids ringing doorbells for candy. One time there was a Halloween where no kids stopped by. Now that was spooky. I guess with all the kidnappings and shootings, etc. becoming even more prevalent every day, parents have become more paranoid to let their kids stay outside knocking on stranger's doors.

Odd, I've felt it's been the reverse. When I was a kid living in Georgia, there were a good amount of trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood. But when we lived in the same area again ten years later, there were MORE. Like TONS. And the neighborhood I lived in in NC after that had tons as well, though I can't say if it was less than years before since I wasn't there then. I also feel like kids are waiting longer and longer to stop trick-or-treating. I see a lot of teenagers that look close to 18 coming for candy. I'm guilty of this too lol. My last trick-or-treating trip happened when I was 21. Yup. Though part of the reason for that, admittedly, is that since I look 14/15, I can kinda pass myself off as that age, so I was taking advantage of that. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Clinton Hill in Brooklyn is pretty safe, but I do not recall seeing trick or treating kids very much when I lived there, although that is probably more due to me just staying home on Halloween and turning off my door light.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I know Halloween isn't until next month but I can't shake this feeling that this holiday tradition is dead now... at least in NYC. How about where you live?

In the Netherlands, there isn't really a tradition with Halloween.

Only a few kids do Trick-or-treat. And the adolescents who go to those Halloween parties (including me)

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

^

I like your spritework of Elincia & Ike and their family btw ^^

21 minutes ago, Truebladee said:

I like your spritework of Elincia & Ike and their family btw ^^

Off topic, but thank you! :) I made them myself and all of them are full custom except the boy who is comprised of several different existing FE7 mug sprites with the headband being a custom part.

My town does a "safety treat" every year on main street and it's always packed as hell.

Pretty sad that the state of the world makes traditions like this...nearly die. People give out drugs or put razor blades in the candy. Seriously? Hasn't happened here as far as I know but still.

Trick or Treating has been pretty active in our neighborhood in the past. It helps that the shape of our neighborhood made it easy for trick or treater's to visit every house without missing anything, and it doesn't take too long or too short of a time to go to every house. With that said, it's been a lot less active in recent years, and less effort has gone into decorations, but I'd chalk that up to most of the kids having grown up. There are still enough that it's worthwhile to buy several bags worth of candy, though.

As for our Churches Trunk or Treat event... that's been going strong ever since it's inception, and I don't think there was ever a time when we had less than a hundred people come.

Trick-or-treating is virtually nonexistent here in the Philippines. It probably has something to do with the anti-Halloween stigma of the Protestant churches, at least, where I'm from.

20 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

As for our Churches Trunk or Treat event... that's been going strong ever since it's inception, and I don't think there was ever a time when we had less than a hundred people come.

That sounds fun. I wish our church did that.

1 hour ago, Purple Mage said:

That sounds fun. I wish our church did that.

Being fair, our church did buy a large amount of property as plans for building a new, well, building, even though construction wouldn't even begin till over a decade later (and even then, it was a different design than originally planned, although in that case the mindset rightfully went from "we aren't a cruise ship; we're a rescue boat."), so we had a lot of space to use in the meantime. We have several soccer fields, a small baseball field, and a playground, and we've reached several people through several events, so those aren't just for show.

As for Trunk or Treat, people basically signed up to decorate the trunk of their car, and have it parked in a line for the trick or treaters to go through. We've had some pretty cool designs over the years, ranging from zoos to police stations to Dr Seuss to pirate ships to Noah's ark to a workout routine, and several more I have no doubt forgotten about.  Although it was hard, my mother actually made a very good cardboard replica of our new church when the year the building was completed. And as I said, we're never had less than a hundred people attend since we started doing the event.

There's really no one in my area... Then again it's still getting houses built so...

A lot of the kids in my area are tiny babs and I can pass off for at least a kid younger than 15 since I am very vertically challenged. A lot of my classmates are getting drunk and high so... Who knows really. 

48 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

There's really no one in my area... Then again it's still getting houses built so...

A lot of the kids in my area are tiny babs and I can pass off for at least a kid younger than 15 since I am very vertically challenged. A lot of my classmates are getting drunk and high so... Who knows really. 

Maybe weed is the new treat.

Trick or weed!

My house has always been popular, mainly because we're one of the only houses that bother putting up decorations and we give out the "good candy". Even so, the lack of Halloween spirit is sad to me. I wish people in my town were more festive. I love seeing what decorations people do and such.

8 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

"good candy"

What is your definition of good candy? When I was a kid, I was continuously disappointed by people telling me that rich neighborhoods gave out better candy. They gave out candy comparable to pretty much everyone else. Most of the candy I got are on the shit list that I dislike or hate. Candy corn, Dots, Mike and Ike, and Smarties are like the nastiest of the bunch, and dread wells up inside me when I see those disgusting crap going into my pumpkin basket.

This is my personal list of good candy: Air Heads, Hershey's cookies and cream, Fruit Gushers Laffy Taffy, Nerds, Reese's, Snickers.

Meh candy: Butterfinger, Crunch, Dum Dums, Hershey's, Jelly Belly, Kit Kat, Life Savers, M&Ms, Milky Way, Pay Day, Pop Rocks, Ring Pop, Skittles, Twix, Warheads.

Shit candy: 100 Grand Bar, 3 Musketeers, Almond Joy, Andes, Atomic Fireballs, Baby Ruth, Cadbury Eggs, candy corn, Dots, gummies*, Heath, Hot Tamales, jaw breakers, Jolly Rancher, Junior Mints, Lemonhead, liquorice, Mike and Ike, Milk Duds*, Mounds, Pez, Pixie Stix, Rocky Road, Rolo*, Smarties, Spree, Star Bursts*, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, Sweet Tarts, Tootsie Rolls, Twizzlers, Whoppers*, York Peppermint Patty, everything else.

*These are okay in small amounts, but I get tired of them really quickly. If they were not handed out as often, they will be in the meh list.

Edited by XRay

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

What is your definition of good candy?

This is my personal list of good candy: Air Heads, Hershey's cookies and cream, Fruit Gushers Laffy Taffy, Nerds, Reese's, Snickers.

I usually think of these in bigger sizes when I hear "good candy", and not just the "fun size" stuff.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, XRay said:

What is your definition of good candy? When I was a kid, I was continuously disappointed by people telling me that rich neighborhoods gave out better candy. They gave out candy comparable to pretty much everyone else. Most of the candy I got are on the shit list that I dislike or hate. Candy corn, Dots, Mike and Ike, and Smarties are like the nastiest of the bunch, and dread wells up inside me when I see those disgusting crap going into my pumpkin basket.

Meh candy: Butterfinger, Crunch, Dum Dums, Hershey's, Jelly Belly, Kit Kat, Life Savers, M&Ms, Milky Way, Pay Day, Pop Rocks, Ring Pop, Skittles, Twix, Warheads.

Shit candy: 100 Grand Bar, 3 Musketeers, Almond Joy, Andes, Atomic Fireballs, Baby Ruth, Cadbury Eggs, candy corn, Dots, gummies*, Heath, Hot Tamales, jaw breakers, Jolly Rancher, Junior Mints, Lemonhead, liquorice, Mike and Ike, Milk Duds*, Mounds, Pez, Pixie Stix, Rocky Road, Rolo*, Smarties, Spree, Star Bursts*, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, Sweet Tarts, Tootsie Rolls, Twizzlers, Whoppers*, York Peppermint Patty, everything else.

*These are okay in small amounts, but I get tired of them really quickly. If they were not handed out as often, they will be in the meh list.

If I give you my laffy taffy, nerds, and Hershey's Cookies and cream, Could I get your 100 Grand, 3 musketeers, Almond Joys, Any chocolate+mint and Mike and Ikes? I get a shit ton every year and I don't like them at all. 

On 9/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, XRay said:

Maybe weed is the new treat.

Trick or weed!

Not to me. I'd eat the outside of the pot brownie and ONLY the outside. 

8 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

If I give you my laffy taffy, nerds, and Hershey's Cookies and cream, Could I get your 100 Grand, 3 musketeers, Almond Joys, Any chocolate+mint and Mike and Ikes? I get a shit ton every year and I don't like them at all. 

That is a deal. In fact, please take the rest of the candy on my shit list since I am not going to eat them anyways.

Edited by XRay

It does seem kinda different now from when I was younger... We always went out after dark, but I've noticed a lot of kids are going out when it's light out now.  Also, I was at the mall on Halloween a few years ago, and there were kids trick or treating there!  That seemed weird to me, but who knows, maybe it's always been a thing & I just didn't know about it.

Also, my parents' place gets a lot less trick or treaters in recent years, though I imagine that could be because the houses are almost all owned by older people (they're worth a million and up) and the kids are mostly all grown up, possibly?  My generation can't afford to own a house.  

On 9/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, XRay said:

It appears that most of the candies on your shit list just so happen to be on my good candy list. I personally think that your taste in candy is bad, but I won't challenge you to a duel over it. I'm also giving you a pass on the ones handed out too often because it's understandable

Also I will do my absolute best to keep trick-or-treating for as long as I can. Even if it means I go out as a old 70 year old who has hearing aids and in a wheelchair (assuming that my health will slowly fail). After all, it's free candy!

Edited by IfIHadToPickADude

21 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

I personally think that your taste in candy is bad, but I won't challenge you to a duel over it.

I would happily admit defeat if you would just take that nasty stuff out my pumpkin basket. I do not care about winning. I just do not want to put that stuff in my mouth. I am perfectly happy to trade 10 or even 20 candy on my shit list for 1 candy on my good list.

I do not want to see them, I do not want to eat them, and I do not want to keep them.