Who became better / worse in Heroes than in their original FE game(s)?

MisterIceTeaPeach

Which units became better or worse in Heroes than in their original game(s)?

My list

better

• Karla
  • Nino
  • Dorcas
  • Nephenee
  • pretty much all armor knights (especially Arden and Wendy)
  • Leif 
  • Aira (she's still great in FE4 but outclassed for being foot unit)
  • Roy
  • Lilina
  • Sophia
  • Deirdre

worse

• Seth
  • Finn
  • Canas
  • Florina
  • Merric
  • Seliph
  • Titania
  • Mathilda
Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

Spoiler

Better:

Nino now needs less investment to be more than decent.

Karla, to be blunt, is ridiculous. Ayra could be added here, but it's not that she was awful before as much as she was on foot.

Deirdre was just awful in Genealogy, so any step up would have been better.

I'm counting Cecilia here entirely because Cav buffs. Eliwood kind of is as well

Lyn is a bit borderline with her base class, but her alts definitely break past that point.

Ninian: Being able to fight back is nice.

Worse:

Still salty about the Canas nerf, though that doesn't mean I never bother to try. Finn's in a similar boat.

Mathilda went from possibly the best unit on Alm's route to.... what, outside the top 5 lance cavs? 10 on that list?

Robin/Corrin (Regular): Considering how powerful both are in their games, they're not all that great here. Far more noticeable with Robin though, even if F!Corrin's the worst dragon imo and M!Corrin's not all that high in a sea of swordlords.

I'd argue regular Camilla's just alright honestly. Which is worse than what she is in Conquest in particular.

Oboro: From best retainer to meh infantry.

Hawkeye: very viable berserker goes to crap. How he isn't considered bottom tier makes no sense imo.

Seth: Not worth the promotion full stop.

Debatable (imo)

Lilina (I haven't tried Forblaze myself, but the answer is probably yes here to be fair)

Leif is better than in Thracia, but wait until he gets a horse before comparing to Genealogy.

Tiki is an interesting one, because out of 4 version of Tiki, one of them is far better in base game than Heroes

The one that stays the same is Olwen, in Thracia you'd rather get Olson. In Heroes you'd rather get Reinhardt. She's only good with further investment(Vantage with Holy Water and Blarblade with LnD)

Reinhardt is better in Heroes since in Thracia he was a deadweight who get carried by Saias being in the same map as him. Its because Thracia is broken, and by the time Reinhardt is around he's a complete joke.

Saias is worse in Heroes for obvious reason. Dude was a monster who is used as a time bomb "you fucked up" button in the game and even when he joins he's not much worse than Sety than people beieve because Saias have the most broken thing in Sety's toolset

Nanna literally have Wrath!Nanna shenanigans and FE5 Healers are broken, so shes automatically worse, despite FEH Healer being pretty good now

Leif is worse because FE4 Leif is a phenomenal Staffbot while FE5 Leif is outright really damn good

Lachesis is simmilar to Leif - Lachesis was good in FE4 because she's the ultimate Staffbot. FEH is incapable to making Staffbot lives up to what they used to be so they are automatically worse

Jeigan is worse in Heroes since SD Jeigan can use forged Ridersbane and kill 90% of the game. He's actually top tier back in SD

Palla is literally a goddess in every game shes in, even in FE1 and FE11 the only reason she's not a goddess is because she joined after the game basically ends, and ironically shes top tier if the game doesnt end right there. FEH Palla is way worse

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Takumi kinda mirrors his own game's (Birthright specifically) developement.He starts out pretty awesome, and as one of your better units, but tends to fall off slightly towards the middle (ofc Heroes' Takumi did more than just fall of slightly but still). In the end, he is still a pretty great unit to have and does well during endgame, so maybe he'll be salvaged in Heroes too? (let me dreammmmm..)

Edited by Nanima

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Lyn is a bit borderline with her base class, but her alts definitely break past that point.

Lilina (I haven't tried Forblaze myself, but the answer is probably yes here to be fair)

OG Lyn pre-refinement and Wrath access was pretty accurate to FE7. Maybe even worse because at least she can dodge there. But after that, she becomes a much stronger character than her base game.

My memory of Lilina in FE6 isn't that good but in Feh, she can be built to do insane amounts of damage. The one I saw recently in VG could do 87 effective damage without additional team support, from one attack. Yikes.

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Worse:

• Xander

Xander started out pretty accurate too. He was a staple on horse teams and used his DC and high defense well. He fell off as the game went on though.

I'll have to look at the group as a whole later, but off the top of my head Roy's doing much better than he did in Binding Blade. He actually did pretty well in my playthrough, but not as good as my Heroes Roy's been.

Florina for sure. She’s depressingly slow for no reason, and she’s hands down the worst flier in the game. Her FE7 incarnate is probably rolling in her grave.

Better:

• Elise
  • Maribelle
  • Kana
  • Azura
  • Est and Catria

Worse:

• Lon'qu
  • Navarre
  • Palla
  • Olivia
  • Xander
  • Oboro
  • Tobin

I would have put Selena and Laslow as worse if I was thinking of them as Severa and Inigo (who were both pretty great in Awakening) but if I'm seeing them as their Nohr incarnations (who both sucked ass for me) then I'll just be neutral on them~

6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

RIP Tatiana. Outclassed before even making it in.
(I get that you meant Titania and this was just a typo)

Nooooooooo......!

(I know this was am.obvious typo, but couldn't resist)

Back on topic:

Odin and Arthur are both better, as far as I'm concerned - they're both borderline if not outright useless in Conquest.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Florina for sure. She’s depressingly slow for no reason, and she’s hands down the worst flier in the game. Her FE7 incarnate is probably rolling in her grave.

She DOES start with a Heavy Spear, which amounts to -10 AS in FE7 due to low her Con and high weapon Wt. Est and Oboro exist in games without the Con system and Wt, and without Heavy Spears at all.

8 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Better:

• Ayra
  • Amelia
  • Deirdre
  • Dorcas

Worse:

• Julia
  • Seliph
  • Robin
  • Titania
  • Mathilda
  • Lachesis

Not really for Ayra. For those not ranking or trying to reduce turn counts, FE4's infantry units are the better combat performance choice than the mounts. Meteor Sword's 5 hits upon activation or 10 hits if it is with the Hero sword is pretty broken, even if Ayra has bad durability. 

Lachesis is basically a healer without Elite Ring+staff abuse to accelerate her promotion. Her Master Knight for would be fitting for an alt, though.

Worse:

- Finn
- Seth
- Arvis
- Seliph
- Merric
- Florina
- Jagen
- Xander (somewhat)
- Clive
- Mathilda
- Titania

Better

- Arden
- Ayra
- Karla
- Amelia
- Nino
- Roy
- Celica
- Hector
- Eliwood (thanks to LA Eliwood)
- Lyn (Brave Lyn and Armor Lyn mostly)

This list could go further on but these are some of the major ones that come to my head at first.

2 hours ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Not really for Ayra. For those not ranking or trying to reduce turn counts, FE4's infantry units are the better combat performance choice than the mounts. Meteor Sword's 5 hits upon activation or 10 hits if it is with the Hero sword is pretty broken, even if Ayra has bad durability. 

Lachesis is basically a healer without Elite Ring+staff abuse to accelerate her promotion. Her Master Knight for would be fitting for an alt, though.

I mean at the same time i could took off her Hero Sword after she gets it, give it to a horse, use Hero Sword Canto and its like

"Why does this shit even fucking exists in this game"

Which left Ayra behind. Ayra isn't even that good as a whole since shes fairly squishy, although she's much better than horse emblem implied she is

Palla

Yeah, she's worse than in Archenea, but I still consider her as a very good fodder unit at least for having goat fliers and moonbow.

Odin and Arthur are both better, as far as I'm concerned - they're both borderline if not outright useless in Conquest.

Arthur did very well for me without gamble in Conquest, even became my MVP.
He's somewhat inacurrate with his skill early on, but without it and good support he was fantastic against lanceusers.
In Heroes he's very mediocre, really weak for a fighter.

Odin is the worst blue mage statwise, but he's a really good fodder unit (moonbow, red tomebreaker).

If I say Xander is worse, then it really shows how an awesome tank he was in Fates. Tbf only his bad speed screws him in Heroes.  But in horse Teams with hone cav buffs he's still really good. 

But I have to agree with Roy definitely. He's better without doubt since his latest refinement. Added him.

4 hours ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

Unfortunately, she's in THE Horse Emblem game, and thus can consider herself lucky to contribute in any meaningful fashion without constantly forcing me to slow down... In a game that's already super slow as things are. Boo, hiss.

2 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

Arthur did very well for me without gamble in Conquest, even became my MVP.
He's somewhat inacurrate with his skill early on, but without it and good support he was fantastic against lanceusers.
In Heroes he's very mediocre, really weak for a fighter.

Odin is the worst blue mage statwise, but he's a really good fodder unit (moonbow, red tomebreaker).

The issue is, he's extremely unreliable even without Gamble, and his presence on the team is honestly a HELL of a lot more of a hindrance than a help thanks to you-know-what. That's bad, bad, bad if your existing alone drags the team down.

Well, being a good fodder unit is more use than I can think of for him in Conquest, so there's that.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Unfortunately, she's in THE Horse Emblem game, and thus can consider herself lucky to contribute in any meaningful fashion without constantly forcing me to slow down... In a game that's already super slow as things are. Boo, hiss.

The need for horses in FE4 is a tad overrated given that forests and desert exist. If I played without giving a crap about ranks and special events, it'd be the infantry show in FE4 because they're so many nukes running around. With Jamke, Ayra, Holyn, Brigid and Lewyn, there is simply too much offense. Prologue, and Chapter 2 until Anphony is the only time horses are absolutely needed.

6 minutes ago, SuperTroll Maxim Lapierre said:

The need for horses in FE4 is a tad overrated given that forests and desert exist. If I played without giving a crap about ranks and special events, it'd be the infantry show in FE4 because they're so many nukes running around. With Jamke, Ayra, Holyn, Brigid and Lewyn, there is simply too much offense. Prologue, and Chapter 2 until Anphony is the only time horses are absolutely needed.

Yeah, well, I don't really care for any of that, and yet I still would see the mounts getting far more use because having a horse is just that significant an advantage thanks to the maps being bloated. It helps (or doesn't help, depending on your perspective) that enemy quality in Genealogy is mostly pretty low.