New Nintendo Direct at 9/13/2018 3pm PT: New date

Jingle Jangle

Lots of stuff coming out like Civ 6 more info on Starfox stuff in Star Link.

Also the note that Nintendo’s cloud service wont even be on most of their games like Splatoon 2 or Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. A pal of mine in particular expressed his rage with none for Splatoon 2

Good to see they’re already on a bad track with folks for the online service. ;/

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I was searching for the Direct on Youtube yesterday because I had missed the news that it was canceled and I saw several videos stating that it was going to be on the 13th.  I don't have the link since I did not save any and who know if what they were saying was true, but I hope they were.

This is, if I'm not mistaken, based on Splatoon 2 content scheduled for the day after the direct being moved to the 13th. It is possible, of course, that this moved date is a placeholder.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

This is, if I'm not mistaken, based on Splatoon 2 content scheduled for the day after the direct being moved to the 13th. It is possible, of course, that this moved date is a placeholder.

Considering it's exactly one week after, it feels like a placeholder to me.

With the amount of 3rd party stuff coming out now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Direct ends up having to be re-cut and shortened due to several of the "announcements" being old news at that point.

42 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Can I ask something? Why are they announcing and teasing so many games now while we are waiting for a direct. All these ports/Indies and stuff could make good topics. What's the point in doing this?

I think that other companies like Squire counted on the direct airing for scheduling reasons. They wanted to confirm FF15 pocket edition on that day and have written several dates down in advance to give more information or statements. Maybe they don't like veering to far off scedule. 

18 hours ago, Jedi said:

Also the note that Nintendo’s cloud service wont even be on most of their games like Splatoon 2 or Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. A pal of mine in particular expressed his rage with none for Splatoon 2

Actually just saw they made a statement about it here.

The vast majority of Nintendo Switch games will support Save Data Cloud backup. However, in certain games this feature would make it possible to, for example, regain items that had been traded to other players, or revert to a higher online multiplayer ranking that had been lost. To ensure fair play, Save Data Cloud backup may not be enabled for such games. To ensure that Save Data Cloud backups cannot be used to unfairly affect online multiplayer rankings, the feature will not be enabled in Splatoon 2.

So basically because they can't get with the times and do cloud saves properly, they're just going to not do it for games where the players could cheat if they exploited the system.

ffs Nintendo, numerous companies have found ways to prevent that kind of crap from happening.  Not all of them are the best, but it's just...  Every day Nintendo's business ethics and rationale make less and less sense to me.  It's like an uncle who was once cool, but now, while you still love him, is just having a hard time keeping relevant or understanding your world.

52 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think that other companies like Squire counted on the direct airing for scheduling reasons. They wanted to confirm FF15 pocket edition on that day and have written several dates down in advance to give more information or statements. Maybe they don't like veering to far off scedule. 

Makes sense to me, lots of fiscal stuff depends on proper scheduling and timing.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:32 PM, Jedi said:

Good to see they’re already on a bad track with folks for the online service. ;/

Seeing as you get randomised abilities on your gear in Splatoon 2, it's to stop people like your pal from saving his data on the cloud and then save scumming until they get the abilities that they want (and a similar thing with Pokemon).

So yeah, it seems okay to me.

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Every day Nintendo's business ethics and rationale make less and less sense to me.  It's like an uncle who was once cool, but now, while you still love him, is just having a hard time keeping relevant or understanding your world.

Because their successful mobile venture and the Switch's success is making them irrelevant... ?

16 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Because their successful mobile venture and the Switch's success is making them irrelevant... ?

What I mean by relevance is not their success, but rather their lagging behind in terms of business practices.  Particularly with the internet; they clamp down on content that ought to be protected under fair use laws, their cloud saves are garbage, and they seem to not favor quality netcoding and the like.

Sure they're successful now, but their refusal to embrace the internet proper could end with them buried under a tide of consumer frustration.  As such, I kind of have this love-hate relationship with Nintendo.  Lots of nostalgia for them, love their games - heck, the only modern gen console I've bought is a Switch - but I hate their business model.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

What I mean by relevance is not their success, but rather their lagging behind in terms of business practices.  Particularly with the internet; they clamp down on content that ought to be protected under fair use laws, their cloud saves are garbage, and they seem to not favor quality netcoding and the like.

Sure they're successful now, but their refusal to embrace the internet proper could end with them buried under a tide of consumer frustration.  As such, I kind of have this love-hate relationship with Nintendo.  Lots of nostalgia for them, love their games - heck, the only modern gen console I've bought is a Switch - but I hate their business model.

Considering Battlefront 2, with one of the biggest shitstorms surrounding it I've seen in gaming, only barely missed it's sales target (9 million instead of 10 million copies-- yes, it still sold 9 million)... I think the effects of "consumer frustration" are going to be negligible. My whole view (and probably the view of the overwhelming majority) is "eh, could be better, but it's not a dealbreaker". People like me shelled out for XBL just for the online functionality; if the Switch gets a semi-steady stream of games I'm interested in with notable amounts of online content I'll pay for online. Which, again, is only $20-- being 1/3 as much as competitors should also probably be a factor in setting your expectations. 

Edited by The DanMan

Ertrick is right when he says that Nintendo's business policies have been questionable at best in recent times. This is not a controversial opinion. It doesn't mean they can't shift units. Merely it's an observation that may or may not have any effect on what actually happens financially (and likely not).

But you better hope that the Switch Online is at the same level as XBL or PS+, then. Even at a lower price a little more should be expected - which started to be a problem for Microsoft as well as XBL becomes more outdated.

Edited by Edgelord

I hope they're not reworking the Direct from the ground up to account for announcements that would be no longer news. Both because I hate extra work and because if I were Nintendo I'd still brag about these games coming to Switch like it's no big nbd.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

You've been bamboozled. Look closely at the Twitter handle.

At first I didn't notice either even when you pointed it out. It being written correctly in much larger letters above the handle really throws you off. Oh well. I wonder what they will do now. If they want the direct posted in Famitsu they need to hurry, or they could tell Famitsu earlier but I heard they are prone to leaks. 

https://imgflip.com/i/2hmptt

Edited by Etrurian emperor

So I don't get it what is the matter with the date? Is it fake? If it is then I hate the fakers for doing this.

Edit: I get it niRtendo of America are real rolls. So this has turned kinda weird for ninty some announcements have been made already officially those that do not have an official teaser will get one I believe (civ6, FFXVpe). Famitsu will most likely spoil stuff and there is no official announcement yet from Nintendo it may happen in Thursday most likely as Tuesday or Wednesday is unlikely.

On another note serious note are the people in Hokkaido doing any better?

Edited by SuperNova125

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

So I don't get it what is the matter with the date? Is it fake? If it is then I hate the fakers for doing this.

Well, aside from the Twitter handle, the date 9/11 is rather suspect being that it's the date of one of the most devastating attacks by foreign invaders in recent American history.  Sure, Nintendo isn't from America, but whoever made that fake account likely is, and I'm sure Nintendo is in-tune enough with American sensibilities to know that advertising their products on that date is a big no-no.

21 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, aside from the Twitter handle, the date 9/11 is rather suspect being that it's the date of one of the most devastating attacks by foreign invaders in recent American history.  Sure, Nintendo isn't from America, but whoever made that fake account likely is, and I'm sure Nintendo is in-tune enough with American sensibilities to know that advertising their products on that date is a big no-no.

Being in tune has never really been Nintendo's strong suit. 

I also don't think there's really enough correlation between video games and 9/11 for Nintendo to avoid that day. Of course any government agency that holds an event on that day, any politician who decides to campaign that day or public figures hosting big events on 9/11 would be incredibly strange but Nintendo is none of those things. Its just a video company without any sort of overlap to public events. Nintendo sharing information or game companies releasing new games on that day is more akin to a supermarket still being open for business on 9/11 which I think most are. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Being in tune has never really been Nintendo's strong suit. 

Although Advance Wars I was scrapped in Japan due to being planned to be released on the actual terrible day of 9/11. They didn't release it until it was bundled on a single pak with AW2 much later.

46 minutes ago, Florete said:

Super Mario Maker released three years ago on 9/11. I don't think that date matters to Nintendo anymore.

I agree. Plus, Tuesdays (and Fridays) are traditionally the most important days for video game launches, patches, and news. It is an ideal time, especially if they care about preventing a Famitsu leak.

Japan had nothing to do with 9/11, so it's fine for them not to acknowledge it. If they ever did out of respect, cool. If they don't. Eh, not a big deal. It's so depressing to think about anyway. Like, yeah, never forget, but it's still sad, you know? And what's even sadder is that there are people crying for open, unsecure borders despite that tragedy.

Now, anything in games that would seem insensitive because of 9/11 would definitely get changed/censored by localization here. It's only right.