New Nintendo Direct at 9/13/2018 3pm PT: New date

Jingle Jangle

1 hour ago, Dai said:

I like Luigi’s Mansion. I feel like we kind of anticipated it with Simon’s reveal trailer, so the hype might be lessened.

Oh yeah. xP I actually forgot about that trailer, so I still got really hyped. But I see, that's understandable. :P

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! That's up there for one of the most packed non E3 Nintendo Directs. I wish we got release windows for most of these reveals though. Luigi's Mansion 3 opener. Animal Crossing casually announced during a Smash trailer? Talk about class. The Wii U port this time was New Super Mario Bros, which is a bummer. I had my fill of the Wii U game, and if I wanted to experience the Luigi U expansion I could probably buy or download that for cheap on my still-plugged in Wii U. Also why not just have Peach, it's gotta be Toadette? At least replace yellow toad with Captain Toad in that case. The Final Fantasy Homecoming to nintendo systems was surprising - and I might indulge in the Zodiac Age since I've been itching to give FF12 for PS2 another chance. I also heard the international version content is actually worth a damn unlike FF10, along with the speed up feature which is appropriate. Question: No FF8? Not that I'm about to start complaining lol.

Yoshi's Crafted World is a get for me. Wooly World was a very fun co-op experience, and I think these levels are going to be much more fun to explore with the omnidirectional travel. Super Mario Party is also looking more content packed than I anticipated. Despite my jokes earlier I truly did believe they would have legacy boards from previous Mario Parties as some kind of parallel to the 100 mini games game on 3DS. But a single player campaign is a neat call back to the original. Can definitely envision playing this at parties and will need to work out who among my friend group is picking this up. And finally, Isabelle in Smash, I was onboard the minute it was clear she wasn't an echo. As well as the announcement of the new game making for the perfect excuse. 

I came into this direct anticipating nothing but a nintendo character revealed for Smash and info of already announced games. Compared to other Directs, this is an easy 8 out of 10. Maybe higher, Nintendo's had plenty of stinker E3s, to say nothing of the Wii U hell of 2016

Edit: OH! and the Capcom beat em up collection is great. Definitely interested in the price point for that compilation, as I have played three of those games on their PS2 Capcom Classics Collection. Knights of the Round, Captain Commando, and of course Final Fight. Can vouch for all three of those games being great if you're a fan of this genre.

Edited by Glennstavos

Like I've seen some other people say, this direct really wasn't for me. I don't think it was bad, but there was basically nothing that interested me.

• Luigi's Mansion 3 was probably the most exciting thing for me, and I'm not even certain I'll actually get it.
  • The Pokemon stuff was already known.
  • Isabelle is a good choice for Smash, but I don't like Animal Crossing, so I really don't have any attachment.

So...yeah.

Edited by Florete

Definitely getting XII, though I still need to pick up a Switch at some point.

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I might indulge in the Zodiac Age since I've been itching to give FF12 for PS2 another chance. I also heard the international version content is actually worth a damn unlike FF10, along with the speed up feature which is appropriate.

Yeah, this version fixes a LOT of gameplay problems and has some other goodies. I had my brother do some stuff to our PS2 so we could play the International version (which is largely the same as this), and I can assure you that it's far more fun. A few things I recall:

• Speed up thing obviously, makes those longer treks and any grinding you do significantly more bearable
  • Job system is really fun, unlike how in the original where you can just give everybody whatever. Some people might not like that, but it works out pretty great and makes for a more classic FF-style experience. This newer version lets you use two jobs instead of just one too, so you have a lot of options.
  • There's no damage cap on attacks, making magic and heavier weapons much more useful
  • Magic also doesn't have that "only one at a time" animation issue that made it a liability to cast big spells
  • I recall that all gambits were available right away, and they have new ones too
  • Guests are controllable, you can change their gambits too. I don't think they get unlimited potions anymore, but they come with more abilities and are much more useful.
  • Espers are controllable, you can fire off their spells and ultimate attacks whenever you want. Waaay more useful.
  • Quickenings and Espers don't use MP, they have a separate meter
  • Treasure chests are generally less random and far more rewarding. Many spells and things are found in specific places that appear 100% of the time and will only have that item, making exploring areas much more fun. That dumb missable Zodiac Spear chest ordeal is no longer there, and you can get one from a guaranteed method late game.
  • Quests and hunts also generally give more useful and unique rewards
  • Lots of new items, and many existing items have been tweaked to be more useful depending on the situation.
  • Meanwhile, some of the more game-breaky items are harder to get
  • Some enemies were tweaked, I don't remember the details but killing the super bosses didn't require hours like I had heard they did originally
  • A 100 battle boss rush is available after beating the game, and you can also unlock a level 1 Hard Mode, which was a very fun challenge

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

I want you to know @Alkaidand I were screaming to eachother after the direct because AC was revealed.

Animal Crossing already made my year for 2019. I'm so excited it's finally happening.

Luigi's Mansion 3, Three Houses and the new Pokemon game means next year is going to be amazing. The only thing I'm really missing from Nintendo is Pikmin 4.

I already had New Super Mario Bros. U along with New Super Luigi U and I already got it for free from buying Mario Kart 8 at Club Nintendo back at 2014 and got New Super Luigi U from Christmas. I definitely not rebuying it again since I didn't rebuying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Captain Toad for Nintendo Switch.

But, I am definitely getting those NES Controllers since I definitely wanted to play Retro style experience on Nintendo Switch console. But, I definitely like how Isabelle gotten revealed, but not as an echo fighter of Villager is a surprise. Too bad we didn't see a single new echo fighter reveal today. But, I definitely knew that Poltergust in Luigi's Mansion 3 trailer is the same one that was shown in Simon and Richter Belmont's trailer.

They only 3 things I was interested

1) Obviously Isabelle, although I can't help but wonder with Isabelle being more original character would the reaction if Dixie was an echo fighter. There's a depression thought.

2) "Capcom Beat' Em Up Bundle", I'm a huge fan of this dying genre so it's makes me extremely happy to see this collection gets announce. It would've been better if "Cadillac  Dinosaurs, Punisher, D&D, & AVP got announce too, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with licensing issues. It's too bad, they could've ride off that hype train for "The Predators". Assuming there was any hype to begin with.

3) The FF Collection.

Final Friggin Fantasy 7 is now officially on a Nintendo Console! This should've been inevitable given Cloud's inclusion but I still can't believe this is a thing. On top of that, IX & X duology is included. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time these games were on another console besides PC. Anyone feel free to correct me on that.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Don't mean to be a downer, but just as a reminder, no classic is guaranteed to be beloved by all. Your opinion of the game once you've played it, particularly if subjected to too much hype, might be something of a letdown.

Nice to see XII is coming to Switch, I've been wanting to play it. LM3 is okay too, but the ice boss in DM stopped me from ever finishing that.

I understand where you're coming from, but I love FFVII - I've seen LPs, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus included, I've watched Advent Children and loved it...I'm sure I'll love playing through FFVII myself - it's turn based, that's all I need, hahah.

5 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Final Friggin Fantasy 7 is now officially on a Nintendo Console! This should've been inevitable given Cloud's inclusion but I still can't believe this is a thing. On top of that, IX & X duology is included. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time these games were on another console besides PC. Anyone feel free to correct me on that.

VII and IX were definitely on PSN before, while X + X2 remastered were released on PS3/Vita in the first place. All can be gotten on PS4.

First time they were released on a non-Sony console for sure though, much as they're also going to XBOne.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

VII and IX were definitely on PSN before, while X + X2 remastered were released on PS3/Vita in the first place. All can be gotten on PS4.

First time they were released on a non-Sony console for sure though, much as they're also going to XBOne.

I could've sworn the PS1 FF games were also on the PC?

19 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I was talking about console releases, PC and mobile are separate when talking about consoles imo.

I somewhat share the same sentiment.

Well the point still stands that FF games are becoming less Sony exclusive now. Granted, it's not like FF never touch a Nintendo console again, but it's still crazy to say FF 7 is on a Nintendo console.

16 hours ago, Thane said:

Guys, you can play online with people from all over the world! I mean, you can do that now for free, but shh, fork over some money for Nintendo.

I had low expectations. We just had a Smash Direct and I think both Metroid and Three Houses will have a low profile until next year, but I was very disappointed by just how little they revealed about the online deal. They keep specifying they'll release NES games, but...why? Why can't they sell us games that were released on later consoles? I just want to play some of my favorite games on the Switch.

This. 

This entire direct was pretty much: "Hey, yah remember these games! Wait, you wanted some info on games that we haven't given you any info on yet? Nah, we're just gonna show you this new Yoshi game for the 18th time and pretty much just restate everything you already new about it. But hey, ISABELLE. Wait you didn't care? Oh. Um. Luigi's Mansion? Whats that? You liked the first one better than dark moon and this looks more like Dark Moon 2? Nah! Its.. uh.. totally not that..

Edited by Tuvy

Cloud Saves go kaput when you stop paying for your subscription.

Now I want one of those Mario character animations where Luigi comes up short on his payment and Lakitu smuggingly takes his save data from the cloud and drops it in the garbage while Luigi cries.

12 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

The Wii U port this time was New Super Mario Bros, which is a bummer. I had my fill of the Wii U game, and if I wanted to experience the Luigi U expansion I could probably buy or download that for cheap on my still-plugged in Wii U. Also why not just have Peach, it's gotta be Toadette? At least replace yellow toad with Captain Toad in that case. 

Captain Toad can't jump; he'd be useless in a 2D Mario game. 

On 9/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, Thane said:

They keep specifying they'll release NES games, but...why? Why can't they sell us games that were released on later consoles? I just want to play some of my favorite games on the Switch.

Doesn't help that it'll more than likely just be all the same games they released on the Virtual Console and the NES Classic, with maybe one or two other games at best.  I almost wonder what the point was of the NES Classic if they were just going to release NES games on their Switch subscription service anyway.  Not to mention that I'm pretty sure most people either emulate NES games or just buy them from, like, pawn shops and the like for about $1 per game.

So Isabelle's in Smash?  I somehow had kind of a gut feeling that would happen along with a new AC announcement.  She and Tom Nook seem to be the most popular characters from AC.  Though @Scoot is a personal favorite; you couldn't find a more athletic, zip-zoomin' duck if you tried.

Only other thing I be interested in, as one of the chief Luigi fans, is Luigi's Mansion 3.  Probably Mario Party as well.  And maybe Yoshi.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Tuvy said:

Nah, we're just gonna show you this new Yoshi game for the 18th time and pretty much just restate everything you already new about it.

Which is funny since nothing has been said about it since it was announced that it was going to be pushed back until 2019, not even at Nintendo's E3 this year.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Tuvy said:

Oh. Um. Luigi's Mansion? Whats that? You liked the first one better than dark moon and this looks more like Dark Moon 2? Nah! Its.. uh.. totally not that..

Thing is, everyone I've watched has said that it resembles the first game more.

If you're going to pour scorn over the Direct, you could at least get your facts right.