What are your unpopular Smash opinions?

Fabulously Olivier

10 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I thought the subspace mode was generally really popular aside from the lack of VA?

Can't say whether Subspace was popular or unpopular for the majority, but to me, it was one-playthrough-to-unlock-everyone deal, mostly.  It's a Kirby game modified to be one mode in a fighting game with a roster widely varying in character abilities, which meant it was a crude Kirby game. I liked the lack of actual dialogue, since for some characters it makes absolutely no sense, and it'd just be hard to do without being real weird. Other than fun, I didn't see much point in replaying the mode, even if I did try the boss rush several times.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27-10-2018 at 6:53 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

I thought the subspace mode was generally really popular aside from the lack of VA?

I recall a lot of negativity around it at the time. To me it always seemed that people's opinion on the mode only started to shift when it was no longer there. I don't think the mode as it was has ever been really popular but more the potential of what a better version could be. Sakurai could try to improve Subspace in so many ways but simply not trying wasn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I recall a lot of negativity around it at the time. To me it always seemed that people's opinion on the mode only started to shift when it was no longer there. I don't think the mode as it was has ever been really popular but more the potential of what a better version could be. Sakurai could try to improve Subspace in so many ways but simply not trying wasn't one of them. 

Has story mode: lol this sucks

loses story mode: wait we change our mind

is the smash community ever happy?

I've never been on board with either team Ken or team Geno. 

Ken always struck me as the most boring option imaginable. A boring looking echo fighter with a moveset we already knew that he shares with a character that also bores me. But as someone with no knowledge of streetfighter that opinion is probably worth very little. 

Geno just seems...unambitious to me. I don't really see the value of his addition. Marth and Roy brought the Japanese only Fire emblem to Western attention, Pit's inclusion revived him and his series from the death, Lucas inclusion is a little ray of hope for the abused Mother fans and Ness gave Earthbound a second chance after it tragically failed. Geno can't do any of this. He's from a game that the west already got and since its already been re-released its readily available to anyone, Mario rpg isn't dead like Kid Icarus was since Paper Mario was always meant as its revival, and Mario rpg didn't fail as tragically as Earthbound did so a second chance isn't required. Geno might be a fun inclusion but he would not change the Nintendo landscape like certain other dead or one shot characters have done.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I've never been on board with either team Ken or team Geno. 

Ken always struck me as the most boring option imaginable. A boring looking echo fighter with a moveset we already knew that he shares with a character that also bores me. But as someone with no knowledge of streetfighter that opinion is probably worth very little. 

Geno just seems...unambitious to me. I don't really see the value of his addition. Marth and Roy brought the Japanese only Fire emblem to Western attention, Pit's inclusion revived him and his series from the death, Lucas inclusion is a little ray of hope for the abused Mother fans and Ness gave Earthbound a second chance after it tragically failed. Geno can't do any of this. He's from a game that the west already got and since its already been re-released its readily available to anyone, Mario rpg isn't dead like Kid Icarus was since Paper Mario was always meant as its revival, and Mario rpg didn't fail as tragically as Earthbound did so a second chance isn't required. Geno might be a fun inclusion but he would not change the Nintendo landscape like certain other dead or one shot characters have done.

Unpopular opinion of unpopular opinion: Ken should have used his modern SFV design, so he'd at least be aesthetically unique and interesting. 

I don't see the ambition of Lucas' inclusion. "A little ray of hope for the abused Mother fans" doesn't amount to anything if there was no sequel or other form of follow-through, and is thus ultimately sentimental bullshit. Quite the opposite, he was just another case of a bare-minimum effort clone back in the Brawl days. 

But perhaps inclusions don't need value. No one bats an eye at R.O.B. or Game and Watch not leading to another R.O.B. or Game and Watch game. Sometimes, a nostalgic nod has value in and of itself. 

49 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't see the ambition of Lucas' inclusion. "A little ray of hope for the abused Mother fans" doesn't amount to anything if there was no sequel or other form of follow-through, and is thus ultimately sentimental bullshit. Quite the opposite, he was just another case of a bare-minimum effort clone back in the Brawl days. 

What I meant with that statement is that Lucas inclusion keeps a possible Mother 3 release at least somewhere on the agenda. Lucas is now known and seems rather well liked. Thus there will always be some sort of demand for a Mother 3 because he has been in Smash. Nintendo has made it clear that they are aware of this demand even if they had Reggie burn someone over it. 

-I don’t mind Subspace Emissary, except for the fact that didn’t feel like this epic crossover story due to the generic environments and mostly populated by random enemies over other franchises. Seriously, I’d trade those boring prims with darknuts and space pirates any day. Melee’s Adventure Mode was superior and more fun due to that

-I don’t mind FE having only sword users, my beef with it is that we have THREE clones of one character by now. They could have put FEH Anna as a composite character much like Zelda is

-I think Young Link not using the Fierce Deity’s Mask as his final smash is an insult 

-I think there should have been a Lords of Shadow music or two. There are lots of epic tracks for Smash there, and they can’t use the “LOS wasn’t in a Nintendo game excuse” nor the “Most of the tracks are from non-Nintendo games” (right Snake?)

-I’ve hated listening to Marth and Roy’s gratuitious japanese dialogues in their victories pre-Ultimate. Yuri Lowental and Ray Chase, welcome to Smash (the latter must be fanboying XD)

-I’m pretty excited for Zelda having an English voice 

Ike's new voice sucks compared to his old one.

Game & Watch's new designs for his attacks (using actual G&W models) aren't as good as his pre-Ultimate Smash ones.

Robin still having Chrom as his FS really annoys me and reeks of laziness (not sure if this is actually "unpopular" as such, but I'll include this regardless).

I hate that they got rid of "For Fun" mode, because I'm a filthy casual who only plays with items on totally going to get destroyed online.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I hate that they got rid of "For Fun" mode, because I'm a filthy casual who only plays with items on totally going to get destroyed online.

It still technically exists-if you play with items on as part of your rules, you’ll be matched with people that so the same.

20 hours ago, Dai said:

It still technically exists-if you play with items on as part of your rules, you’ll be matched with people that so the same.

Yeah, all one of them. Besides, even if I state that I want items on, there's no guarantee that I'll get a match where items are available (unlike For Fun mode).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

-Simon's hair should be red. I don't care about how many depictions he's blond or what he was first. My Simon is Ginger Simon.

-I would have preferred to see no new comers and instead have every existing character get Palutena/Mii Fighter style custom specials.

-I know it's selfish, but I'd rather there were no third party characters in the series at all. Not that I don't enjoy the ones that are here. I just feel that this is Nintendo damnit.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

-Simon's hair should be read. I don't care about how many depictions he's blond or what he was first. My Simon is Ginger Simon.

I find myself surprised that there isn’t a red-haired alternate, actually.

12 minutes ago, Dai said:

Snake was hated?

I concurr. Who hates Snake? I recall people were disappointed, but not at all surprised when he was cut from SSB4, and it was his reaction that really made everyone lose their shit when they opened up the "Everyone is back" reveal for this game.

49 minutes ago, Dai said:

Snake was hated?

As a character, absolutely not. I do, however, recall significant balance-related controversies regarding Snake in Brawl. He was a particularly high tier and obnoxious opponent because of his tilts. At least that was the case back in the day. It would seem that he might have dropped a bit on certain lists today.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

As a character, absolutely not. I do, however, recall significant balance-related controversies regarding Snake in Brawl. He was a particularly high tier and obnoxious opponent because of his tilts.

His weight was also completely unreasonable. He was heavier than Ganondorf!

Sorry if this is a spoiler, but Robin's final smash is still the same. I don't understand why. if you have a Robin v Chrom match going on and robin gets the smash ball and hits Chrom. Chrom would be killing himself? Why did keep it stay the same. I feel like it would've been better if it was a cutscene final smash like Corrin's and Robin becomes Grima who crushes your opponents. Don't know just an opinion.

6 minutes ago, TheWildestCat said:

Sorry if this is a spoiler, but Robin's final smash is still the same. I don't understand why. if you have a Robin v Chrom match going on and robin gets the smash ball and hits Chrom. Chrom would be killing himself? Why did keep it stay the same. I feel like it would've been better if it was a cutscene final smash like Corrin's and Robin becomes Grima who crushes your opponents. Don't know just an opinion.

Because Outrealms. Not like the trophies are killing eachother in Smash.

On 11/7/2018 at 12:04 PM, TheWildestCat said:

Ok that's really stupid though, I mean really, I feel like Nintendo was just being lazy on that one. Would it really have been that hard to replace Chrom with Morgan for Robin's final smash, or some other character? It really doesn't make since.

29 minutes ago, Robin126 said:

Ok that's really stupid though, I mean really, I feel like Nintendo was just being lazy on that one. Would it really have been that hard to replace Chrom with Morgan for Robin's final smash, or some other character? It really doesn't make since.

A lot of people are speculating that Chrom being playable was a sort of last-minute thing, which I suppose makes sense given how a lot of the resources were already in place to make him. It does seem odd though given how they managed to add new Final Smash helper characters for Mega Man and Shulk.

31 minutes ago, Robin126 said:

Seeing both male and female Morgan in Smash in some form or another would have been so great. Them being in the final Smash would have given them Smash models too. Oh well.