Idea for skills (also a form of Create-Your-Own, in its own way)

MilodicMellodi

It was a random idea I had an hour ago while I was walking, so don't take it too seriously. Still, I happen to like the idea.

We have exclusive/semi-exclusive weapons that are upgrades of non-exclusive weapons (Camilla's "Camilla's Axe" from Brave Axe+, Fir's "Nameless Blade" from Killing Edge+, etc.) that were not on them at the time of their creation.

Well, what if that was also the case for Assist, Special, and Passive skills? What if Lon'qu got an upgrade of Vantage exclusive to him, or Default!Ike got an exclusive upgrade of Heavy Blade for himself? What if Valter got an exclusive Panic Ploy, or Default!Frederick got his own version of Luna?

So, I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts on this. Also, I'd like to see your guys' ideas about what upgrades characters can get. Not just Passives, but Specials and Assists as well. I think it's a pretty interesting idea, whether or not it'll make it into the game. Have fun~

Edited by MilodicMellodi

Lethality - Cooldown 4, exclusive to dagger units only. Instantly kills an enemy if amount of damage unit can deal >= 1. Does not trigger specials.

So basically we have this probably potentially broken special that is only exclusive to daggers (assassins). It's high cooldown is a reference to how low the percentages are to trigger it in the original games. But it can only trigger if unit can naturally deal at least 1 damage to foe. "Does not trigger specials" meaning it doesn't trigger Holy Vestments, Aegis, Sacred Cowl, Miracle, and even Ice Mirror. May really sound broken though.

17 minutes ago, riccochet said:

Lethality - Cooldown 4, exclusive to dagger units only. Instantly kills an enemy if amount of damage unit can deal >= 1. Does not trigger specials.

So basically we have this probably potentially broken special that is only exclusive to daggers (assassins). It's high cooldown is a reference to how low the percentages are to trigger it in the original games. But it can only trigger if unit can naturally deal at least 1 damage to foe. "Does not trigger specials" meaning it doesn't trigger Holy Vestments, Aegis, Sacred Cowl, Miracle, and even Ice Mirror. May really sound broken though.

I did say exclusive skills, but I do like the idea of a Lethality special skill being in the game. Tbh though (and this is my own thought, I do love your build but I do have my own thoughts about it) Lethality could be an Astra upgrade that deals +5 damage and ignores Pavise/Aegis/etc. but not Miracle.

I would probably say a skill that insta-kills by default should be at least 5 cooldown, especially considering the unit only needs to deal 1 or more damage, but I do like the exclusivity to dagger units.

Here's my idea for what I mean.

Donnel getting an exclusive upgrade to his HP+5 that transforms it into HP+6 and gives him an Absorb effect when his HP is lower at the start of battle (as a reference to Underdog, dealing more damage if his level was lower or equal to the opponent). The Absorb effect would be a reference to how effective Sol was for him in Awakening, and this effect would essentially give him a great deal of sustain that is balanced by his Brave Lance+'s low Might and Spd drop. It would not interfere with any of his skills, and would in fact help Reciprocal Aid's effectiveness in making him a Player Phase pseudo-Healer. It would also not give him any stat enhancements, ensuring that he'll need outside help to take full advantage of the healing.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

1 hour ago, MilodicMellodi said:

and this effect would essentially give him a great deal of sustain that is balanced by his Brave Lance+'s low Might and Spd drop.

If Donnel is not killing something, that negatively impacts his sustainability. Killing things in two hits via Moonbow-Death Blow-Heavy Blade means Donnel would not take any damage at all in the first place.

It would not interfere with any of his skills, and would in fact help Reciprocal Aid's effectiveness in making him a Player Phase pseudo-Healer.

Pseudo healers rely on Renewal to generate HP, not Sol, Noontime, nor Aether. Going into combat is almost always a net loss in HP, unless you gain 100% of each hit as HP or something equally ridiculous.

It would also not give him any stat enhancements, ensuring that he'll need outside help to take full advantage of the healing.

Without an offensive A skill, Donnel cannot fight properly. Without Renewal on his Weapon, he cannot generate HP quickly enough; getting into combat will break even on HP at most, but without an offensive A skill, he will most likely be losing more HP than he gains if he eats a counter. Needing outside help just just to take advantage of his own healing makes him dead weight at best.

If he cannot fight nor heal properly, it is better to run someone else instead or even skip the fourth unit entirely and low man your team.

Edited by XRay

My usual list with new additions:

Provoke 1/2/3: Passive B. If unit's HP ≥ 100/50/0%, foes cannot initiate combat against allies (without a similar skill) if unit is in range of attack.

Shade 1/2/3: Passive B. Dagger only. If unit's HP ≥ 100/50/0%, foes cannot initiate combat against unit if at least one other ally (without a similar skill) is in range of attack.

Sneak Attack 1/2/3: Passive B. Dagger only. If unit's HP ≥ 90/70/50% at the start of combat, if the number of foes within 2 spaces of target (excluding target) = 0, foe cannot counterattack. If the number of foes within 2 spaces of target (excluding target) ≥ 1, unit and foe cannot make a follow-up attack.

"Quickclaw" 1/2/3: Passive B, Sacred Seal. If unit cannot counterattack, deals 3/7/10 damage to foe after combat.

Parity 1/2/3: Passive B. If unit's HP ≥ 90/70/50% at the start of combat, neutralizes unit's and foe's bonuses during combat and unit and foe cannot trigger a Special skill.

Daunt 1/2/3: Passive C. Foes within 2 spaces of unit have bonuses limited to a maximum of +4/3/2 in combat.

Daunt Atk/Spd/Def/Res 1/2/3: Passive C. Foes within 2 spaces of unit have Atk/Spd/Def/Res bonuses limited to a maximum of +4/2/0 in combat.

"Wide Guard" 1/2/3: Passive B?. If unit's HP ≥ 90/70/50% at the start of combat, foe's skills that activate after combat do not occur.

Fortify+: Assist. Staff only. Range 1. Restores HP = 50% of Atk. (Minimum of 8 HP.) Greatly accelerates Special trigger (cooldown -2).

Saint's Staff, Latona: Assist. Staff only. Inheritable to same unit only. Range 1/2?. Restores HP = 50% of Atk +10. (Minimum of 15 HP.) Greatly accelerates Special trigger (cooldown -2).

Aum: Assist. Staff only. Inheritable to same unit only. Range 1. Restores HP = 50% of Atk. (Minimum of 8 HP.) Grants the following status to targeted ally (1 turn): "If unit’s HP > 1 and foe would reduce unit’s HP to 0, unit survives with 1 HP. (Once per turn.)"

Edited by Ice Dragon

Nihil: Foe's cannot trigger special skills during battle. (It can be two different skills: Close Nihil and Range Nihil).

Nihil can also have different versions. Like:

Nihil A: Neutralizes foe's A skill during battle. Nihil B: Neutralizes foe's B skill during battle. Nihil Seal: Neutralizes foe's sacred seal skill during battle.

Canto: If unit initiate a combat before doing a movement, unit can move after the combat but cannot initiate another combat.

Nullify: Neutralizes weapon triangle during battle.

(Close/Range) Parity: Neutralizes foe's combat bonuses (from skills like spur, drive, etc.) during combat.

Boon: At start of each turn, neutralizes penalties (from skills like Panic, Threaten, etc.) and negative status effects (preventing counterattacks, restricting movement, etc.) from adjacent allies.

Deflect Ward: If a adjacent ally receives consecutive attacks, reduces damage from foe's second attack onward by 80%. (It can have 3 versions: Melee, Magic and Missile)

Healing Descant: Azura only (maybe as a alt version or Legendary version). Restore 10 HP of adjacent allies at start of each turn (basically Spur Renewal)

28 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aum: Assist. Staff only. Inheritable to same unit only. Range 1. Restores HP = 50% of Atk. (Minimum of 8 HP.) Grants the following status to targeted ally (1 turn): "If unit’s HP > 1 and foe would reduce unit’s HP to 0, unit survives with 1 HP. (Once per turn.)"

That's a interesting assist. Miracle in Assist form.Like Restore+, it will not work if ally's HP = 100%, which is fair.

49 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

neutralizes penalties (from skills like Panic, Threaten, etc.)

This just made me realize that the skill description for Restore(+) is so horribly wrong and perpetuates the incorrect belief that Panic actually changes your bonuses into penalties (which is what Panic's skill effect says) instead of simply reversing the sign on your bonuses. Ugh.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

This just made me realize that the skill description for Restore(+) is so horribly wrong and perpetuates the incorrect belief that Panic actually changes your bonuses into penalties (which is what Panic's skill effect says) instead of simply reversing the sign on your bonuses. Ugh.

Yeah... I just copied Restore's text...

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah... I just copied Restore's text...

Yep, I was going to comment on how the text was wrong, but then I realized you just copy-pasted the text from Restore and... ugh. The localization team is just ugh.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Quickclaw" 1/2/3: Passive B, Sacred Seal. If unit cannot counterattack, deals 3/7/10 damage to foe after combat.

Why would you want enemies to damage themselves safely though? Vantage and Wings of Mercy are already super annoying to deal with, so I am not sure why people want to make it harder on themselves unless it gives like 350+ points or something.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Why would you want enemies to damage themselves safely though? Vantage and Wings of Mercy are already super annoying to deal with, so I am not sure why people want to make it harder on themselves unless it gives like 350+ points or something.

The AI might find a use for it, considering how PvE maps literally never use Distant Counter on units that don't have it by default.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The AI might find a use for it, considering how PvE maps literally never use Distant Counter on units that don't have it by default.

But that still helps the player way more than it helps the AI. I had switch out Swift Strike on my NS!Corrin for Fury on the Abyssal maps because she could not get into Desperation range by the time archers show up since she is not eating any counter attacks.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

But that still helps the player way more than it helps the AI. I had switch out Swift Strike on my NS!Corrin for Fury on the Abyssal maps because she could not get into Desperation range by the time archers show up since she is not eating any counter attacks.

If the enemy has a charge-down strategy with a few Wary Fighter armors and a bunch of ranged cavalry, I could see an argument for putting that on the armors. I'm sure someone can come up with something obnoxious to do with a skill like that (especially on 99-HP armors).

Let's try another one then. I do like the ideas for skills you guys come up with, but I did ask for character-exclusive skills. Anyhow, it's not really worth making a point about it because I know the community just does what it wants, so I'll just roll with it and continue making skills.

Ice Mirror+
Exclusive to Fjorm as an upgrade of Ice Mirror, it increases its power from 30% to 50% (essentially turning it from Sacred Cowl to Aegis). Still has the 2 cooldown. That's it.

Divine Retribution
Exclusive to Azama as an upgrade of Solid-Earth Balm. If he cannot counterattack, or can counterattack but deals no damage, and lives such a in combat where the opponent initiates, the opponent takes damage equal to half of Azama's current Atk stat (on top of his Pain/Pain+ effect, if he was able to counterattack). It has a cooldown of 2, similar to Ice Mirror above. However, it activates after battle and only does so when it has 0 cooldown left — very similarly to a Pain/Poison effect — after which it will reset to 2.
Essentially, he takes advantage of his low Atk stat by doing extra burn on his enemy if he's incapable of dealing damage at all (either by not being able to attack or by not dealing damage). This skill is a direct reference to his Personal Skill in Fates under the same name, where he would deal half the damage his opponent inflicts back at the enemy if he's not equipped with a weapon. This skill (the upgrade here) is less of a Counter and more of an Enemy Phase "Poison" effect.