Event Schedule! (Sep-Oct)

Diovani Bressan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Morswo said:

I hope that the next banner is hoshido, so I could finally get Caeldori. Maybe is the voting gauntlet nohrian dusk vs. hoshidian dawn.

Yes I think that we're going to have a banner named hoshidian dawn too, and I really want it.

48 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

If the next banner is Hoshido, I want Mitama and Rinkah~

EDIT: How could I forget Orochi~

I hope that we get Scarlet, Hayato or Rinkah, Miitama, and Hisame in the focus (if they take units like those in nohrian dusk), and maybe Sumeragi for a hidden GHB

8 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

Yes I think that we're going to have a banner named hoshidian dawn too, and I really want it.

I hope that we get Scarlet, Hayato or Rinkah, Miitama, and Hisame in the focus (if they take units like those in nohrian dusk), and maybe Sumeragi for a hidden GHB

Oh, I forgot about Hayato, he's one of my favorites~ Sumeragi would be good for GHB~

6 hours ago, Garlyle said:

And why is it Fates anyway, I see a lot of people criticizing it as one of the titles that could've had a lot of potential, but it's just isn't good. I mean if it comes up in polls deciding which title is the worst, and it's competing with Shadow Dragon, why do the devs think that bringing another Fates banner to the table would be a good choice to get us buy more orbs?

Because the unwashed masses don't care so much that the plot of Fates is terrible, or even think it good. They are also used to Fates and love it and its characters, regardless of how critical we the brilliant elite can be of them. You're also forgetting the gameplay is generally very good, generally considered. The games too are very recent, which massively helps.

My use of the terms "unwashed masses" and "brilliant elite", aren't to be taken too seriously FYI, I try not to be arrogant. They're meant somewhat critically of we "elites" as well.

I don't want Hoshido next!:sob: Yes I get that Fates is 1-2-3ish games with 69 PCs all of whom have actual personalities, and that there should be fair representation of both sides, even if the Nohrian has the perception of being more popular. But no other game has this issue. RD's Parts aren't the same, and the Generational divide of FE4 is also found in Awakening and Fates. This "symmetry issue" works in Fates's favor, and what can other games leverage to the same effect? 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Because the unwashed masses don't care so much that the plot of Fates is terrible, or even think it good. They are also used to Fates and love it and its characters, regardless of how critical we the brilliant elite can be of them. You're also forgetting the gameplay is generally very good, generally considered. The games too are very recent, which massively helps.

My use of the terms "unwashed masses" and "brilliant elite", aren't to be taken too seriously FYI, I try not to be arrogant. They're meant somewhat critically of we "elites" as well.

I don't want Hoshido next!:sob: Yes I get that Fates is 1-2-3ish games with 69 PCs all of whom have actual personalities, and that there should be fair representation of both sides, even if the Nohrian has the perception of being more popular. But no other game has this issue. RD's Parts aren't the same, and the Generational divide of FE4 is also found in Awakening and Fates. This "symmetry issue" works in Fates's favor, and what can other games leverage to the same effect? 

You forgot something that explains why there are so many fates banners: The developers loved those games. And for the writing, yes sometimes it's bad, but it is one of the only fire emblem that does something more. An unexplainable plus. Yes the date simulator help, but if those game we're REALLY bad, they would not have sold so well. More than that, when you play older fire emblem games, there are the same writing problems sometimes, like Marth annoying innocence or Rudolf way of life.

I'm not saying that the fire emblem games are all bad, I'm just saying that they all have their defect and that fates have as much as the other, but not more.

And again, with the cast of fates, it's not surprising that they get more banners, think about the people who don't have their favorites in the game, like Selkie, Velouria, Scarlet, Orochi and Izana

Edited by Drakhis

26 minutes ago, Drakhis said:

You forgot something that explains why there are so many fates banners: The developers loved those games.

The present developers did. And I'm sure, be it naturally or as Stockholm syndrome, most people on a game development team come to love what they are working on. If we interviewed someone who worked back on Path of Radiance or Thracia to use some examples, I would expect them to say they too loved developing that game. The only case in FE where I wouldn't possibly expect to find this is Shadow Dragon, given the game has the impression of not having had much love placed in it.

The thing is, many if not most of the people who loving worked on those older games are DEAD! gone now.

And for the writing, yes sometimes it's bad, but it is one of the only fire emblem that does something more. An unexplainable plus.

You speak of ambition? Genealogy was the first real ambitious FE narrative-wise, and Radiant Dawn also tried to be more, it even tried pitting two respectable heroes in Micaiah and Ike against each other. Fates doesn't have the monopoly on failed ambition.

Yes the date simulator help, but if those game we're REALLY bad, they would not have sold so well.

Sales are a combination of factors. It is true shovelware-quality will mean a giant sales drop. To call Fates shovelware would be a massively trollish insult to it, for it is not that, period. 

More than just quality affect sales however. Marketing plays another role- no publicity can doom a high quality product. 

And there is something of a carryover effect sometimes. Fates came after Awakening, which people loved and sold well. Mega Man Battle Network 4 was the best selling MMBN title, despite being the worst game in the series. Why? Because MMBN3 was so good. MMBN5, despite being much better than 4, sold less, because people didn't trust MMBN after the atrocity of 4, which is unfair to 5. You buy a game, and then discover its quality, you can't only pay for games you've enjoyed. 

I'm not saying Fates shouldn't have sold well, but I am saying sales =/ proof of quality in general. That is a fallacy, in some measure.

More than that, when you play older fire emblem games, there are the same writing problems sometimes, like Marth annoying innocence or Rudolf way of life.

Or Nergal being totally irrational. Or SS having ultra-thin world building not much better if at all than Fates (hello five heroes of yore of whom we have the names of only two). Or Manfroy being too powerful until he just randomly isn't in FE4. Or RD trying to do too much for one game. Or Binding Blade going back to an outdated form of narrative where dull and always right Roy is giving a monologue periodically interrupted by others, but is otherwise devoid of vibrancy. 

For the sake of being fair to all games, I slash across them all and acknowledge their faults and arguable faults. I'm not only looking to tear down Fates, or Fates and Awakening.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You speak of ambition? Genealogy was the first real ambitious FE narrative-wise, and Radiant Dawn also tried to be more, it even tried pitting two respectable heroes in Micaiah and Ike against each other. Fates doesn't have the monopoly on failed ambition.

No I mean something Really unexplainable, and it allows people who don't like some other fire emblem to play it easily.  If I had to advise a fire emblem to start, it would be fates. It's thanks to this game that i was able to put friends to fire emblem when they hated playing fire emblem RD and PoR. Now they can play those two games, but they would not have been able to appreciate them without playing fates before.

It's not my favorite Fe games(My favorite being fe7), nor the first one I played (fire emblem SS).

It's just that if find it easy to criticize fates, saying that the older games were better, whereas not necessarily.

1 minute ago, Drakhis said:

No I mean something Really unexplainable, and it allows people who don't like some other fire emblem to play it easily.  If I had to advise a fire emblem to start, it would be fates. It's thanks to this game that i was able to put friends to fire emblem when they hated playing fire emblem RD and PoR. Now they can play those two games, but they would not have been able to appreciate them without playing fates before.

This "unexplainable" thing would likely be partly quality of life improvements I think. Casual Mode was a huge help in all likelihood.

Supports being so many, so colorful and lighthearted, and not restricted to 5 convos per playthrough, that people get loving lost in them is probably another factor of this "unexplainable". Shipping and the Avatar feature, if not what entirely sells the game, I think had to help in some measure here as well.

I'd have to rule out art style, since FE has always been in a way mainstream aesthetically.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If Fates' writing is so bad, why do Fates characters have so many votes compared to all the other games? You can argue sales, but if it was so bad, those people who played the game would be utterly disgusted instead of voting for them. 

Also, if the unwashed masses are the majority and they found Fates writing to not be so bad, then if the goal is to appeal to as many people as possible, does that imply Fates writing isn't bad? 

They are very biased against Hoshido.  Nohrian summer was all Nohr, Festival in Hoshido had one unit from Hoshido (one from Nohr).  The NY banner had one unit from Hoshido as well, and Camilla for whatever reason.  Nohr is a million times more popular for whatever reason.  I guess most popular waifu, Camilla.  Most popular loli waifu, Elise.  The maids Felicia and Flora, handsome butler Jakob.  

However Hoshido is the one that introduced all the new weapon types and classes and IMO was much more interesting.  Anyways being a month long banner seems that it won't be an ordinary banner.  Not associated with a single game.  It will be beast units or OCs likely.  

5 hours ago, Venmi said:

Please be Tellius next week!  I know the month long banner means it might be something else, but we haven't had a new character since January (or February, depending on when World of Dawn entered), and had no characters at launch.  We don't need more alts (Elincia and Micaiah were great, Sanaki not so much)- we need new characters.  Tellius is currently the least represented continent.

I'll be okay if they are holding off a Tellius banner because the first shifter banner in say, October, will be entirely Tellius.  If it also turns out to be 3DS characters...  (Only one 3DS shifter is more popular than all the Tellius laguz, so popularity wouldn't be an excuse there).

Anyway...  please no more Fates next week!  Tellius needs it a whole lot more.

If we get a beorc banner, what theme do you want? Greil Mercenaries with options such as Boyd, Rolf, Gatrie, Shinon and Rhys. Crimean Royal Knights with options such as Geoffrey, Lucia, Kieran, Marcia and Astrid. Daein Liberation Army with options such as Nolan, Edward, Leonardo, Laura, Meg, Zihark, Jill and Tauroneo. 

5 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

If we get a beorc banner, what theme do you want? Greil Mercenaries with options such as Boyd, Rolf, Gatrie, Shinon and Rhys. Crimean Royal Knights with options such as Geoffrey, Lucia, Kieran, Marcia and Astrid. Daein Liberation Army with options such as Nolan, Edward, Leonardo, Laura, Meg, Zihark, Jill and Tauroneo. 

My favorite with a theme would actually be Zihark, Jill, and Tauroneo.  Yes, I know Zihark would be another sword, but he's a personal favorite (up there with Ike and Zelgius, and I like the three of them a lot more than Lucia, Mia, Meg, or one any of the sword women).  If they were going to craft a banner off my true favorite beorc still missing, it'd be Zihark, Boyd, and Rolf.

Then again...  Maybe I should just hold out hope for a laguz banner, and soon.  I'd much rather have a Tibarn, Reyson, Nailah, and Ranulf banner, and somehow I doubt they'd give us both a laguz and beorc banner in the next few months.  So if I could be guaranteed laguz before the end of the year, I'd be okay with no beorc banner. However, I'm worried Tellius will get nothing, or one token laguz among 3DS beasts, when Tellius desperately needs more representation.

8 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

My vote goes to Crimean Royal Knights! 

Blue Lance Cav Geoffrey with The Wishblade!

Green Axe Cav Kieran with... some axe? Maybe built in Life and Death? Well, he will be the demote.

Colorless Bow Cav Astrid with Guard Bow Plus!

Red Sword Cav Renning with the Runesword!

24 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

However Hoshido is the one that introduced all the new weapon types and classes and IMO was much more interesting.

That are literally just reskinned normal classes and weapons with different names.

Calling it now: Hoshidan Dawn will feature Midori, Dwyer and a King!Leo alt. 

It'll be released a year from now and have another Nohrian seasonal banner in it's wake. For balance.

Edited by Nanima

I am still irritated that this banner holds out for a month.
I think that Laevanteinn, Helbindi etc have a chance to appear for this banner. Maybe I am totally off. Of course my hope is a Hoshidian banner, because I like Rinkah.
Maybe I am thinking too much about it. At least I should not go all out tomorrow, even if Flora is bait.
Another thing is that I just cannot imagine them to be Legendary Heroes. The counter would be that they need to adjust the stats..but they could also make alternate versions of them. 

This may sound not so good, but I can't imagine it to be a normal banner if it holds out for a month. And Hoshidian banner would be strange if that Nohr banner which we have now only holds out for half a month...

I guess in Book 3 we will be introduced to new villains anyway. Would be a perfect timing for Laguz/Beast units. One of them could be a beast.

Edited by Stroud

Has the max number of units in a banner always been 4? Didn't that not-valentines day banner had like 5 seasonal units? At least it's what i can tell from playing the paralogue.

What i'm saying is: Unsual Month long banner, may be one with all the OCs at once (the muspell sisters, helbindi and the 2 nifl siblings that won't get to be legendaries).

20 minutes ago, Stroud said:

This may sound not so good, but I can't imagine it to be a normal banner if it holds out for a month.

I have no idea why a "normal" banner can't last that long.

We had people suspecting that the 21-day-long banner that ended up being Ylissean Travelers was going to be something special for being longer than any other "normal" New Heroes banner previously. (World of Radiance was 20 days.)

What makes its 32-day run any different from Nohrian Dusk's 26-day run? Is the extra 6 days that much of a difference?

Is there a reason why the banner extending until the end of its Arena bonus Heroes run an insufficient reason to run the banner that long (granted Doorway to Destiny will actually end 3 days before the end of its Arena bonus Heroes run)?

As for other "non-normal" New Heroes banners:

• Arrival of the Brave is 25 days.
  • Fallen Heroes was 16 days.
  • Farfetched Heroes was 20 days.
  • Brave Heroes was 16 days.

3 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Has the max number of units in a banner always been 4? Didn't that not-valentines day banner had like 5 seasonal units? At least it's what i can tell from playing the paralogue.

What i'm saying is: Unsual Month long banner, may be one with all the OCs at once (the muspell sisters, helbindi and the 2 nifl siblings that won't get to be legendaries).

Sibling Bonds and Blazing Shadows way back when were 6 characters. They have long since abandoned banners larger than 4 characters due to diluted focus pull rates.

Some banners may have come with additional Tempest Trials or Grand Hero Battle characters that appear in the associated story and paralogue missions, but weren't part of the banner itself.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

If Fates' writing is so bad, why do Fates characters have so many votes compared to all the other games? You can argue sales, but if it was so bad, those people who played the game would be utterly disgusted instead of voting for them. 

Also, if the unwashed masses are the majority and they found Fates writing to not be so bad, then if the goal is to appeal to as many people as possible, does that imply Fates writing isn't bad? 

Not necessarily. Popularity is not inherently correlated to quality. If it was, the Oscars wouldn't have the movies it usually does now.  To use one of your favorites Tauroneo, he can't have done well in CYL right? Does that make him an awful character?

The will of the majority wants does not necessarily equal what is right and should be the ideal either. Critics and masses have different standards, sometimes it's just a difference of what they are looking for- serious depth vs. light entertainment, and perhaps other times, it is a difference of quality and the absence of quality (a form of right vs. a form of wrong). Depth seekers lambast Ilyana, those looking for casual fun get a kick from her hunger.

I'm not actually raving against Fates here. I try to stay above the fray, it's partly why I withdraw from VG topics once the gauntlets have begun. It too is why I've never allowed myself through the whole of playing Fates for at least ten runs, have ever read a story dialogue or Support, to stay ultimately neutral. Albeit this "neutrality" is predicated on the acceptance of the critical consensus of others that the plot and characters are bad and it would be better than not if I did not experience them. Heck the fictious Takumi I've fabricated in my fanficts is attached to me enough, that I never want to know the real one at this point.

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That are literally just reskinned normal classes and weapons with different names.

And minor stat reshufflings and slight stat boosts for weapons. Clubs have a little natural Crit and more Hit than Axes, but less Mt, Yumi are stronger than Bows, but less accurate. Shuriken give +2 Spd passively and Daggers don't. Master of Arms is faster and lacks the Armor and Horse of Great Knight, but less Str and Def.

Spear Fighter/Master however, yeah, just a reskinned Soldier-Halberdier.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And minor stat reshufflings and slight stat boosts for weapons. Clubs have a little natural Crit and more Hit than Axes, but less Mt, Yumi are stronger than Bows, but less accurate. Shuriken give +2 Spd passively and Daggers don't. Master of Arms is faster and lacks the Armor and Horse of Great Knight, but less Str and Def.

Spear Fighter/Master however, yeah, just a reskinned Soldier-Halberdier.

Stat differences are already normal between games for analogous weapons and classes, so the Hoshidan and Nohrian weapons and classes being slightly different from each other but functioning similarly is nothing special.

Wait, the Nohrian banner is 26 days? Damn, I compared all New Hero banner and missed out the one which is the closest.

In that case I take back that I cannot imagine it. I just thought that it was strange for a new heroes banner to be as long as a seasonal banner. I also forgot that we have 3 new Hero banners in 3 weeks. So the length could also have other reasons like balancing out availability for the upcoming arena seasons and to give us the feeling that they give us time to stack up some orbs for these banners. At the end I can only guess about it. 

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It too is why I've never allowed myself through the whole of playing Fates for at least ten runs, have ever read a story dialogue or Support, to stay ultimately neutral. Albeit this "neutrality" is predicated on the acceptance of the critical consensus of others that the plot and characters are bad and it would be better than not if I did not experience them. Heck the fictious Takumi I've fabricated in my fanficts is attached to me enough, that I never want to know the real one at this point.

If what you're saying is true, then you CAN'T be neutral. You can't judge something by what you hear, because this is the ones that complain who are easier to hear.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not necessarily. Popularity is not inherently correlated to quality. If it was, the Oscars wouldn't have the movies it usually does now.  To use one of your favorites Tauroneo, he can't have done well in CYL right? Does that make him an awful character?

The Oscars have a political aspect and are not representative of the common opinion. The cyl, however, is an event where everyone can give their opinion. It makes a HUGE difference.

For Tauroneo it just means that the common opinion is that they are better characters, it does not mean that he's a bad character.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Recency bias and a lot of sales. Just like Awakening. Echoes did have a recency bias, but due to the 3ds being at the end of it's lifecycle there weren't that many copies distributed. They played smart with that one as they sold a bit less than what was distributed

As for the disgust regarding story, the characters and story are two separate things. Also, FE14 and 15 have a dating sim aspect to it so there's that. Husband and waifu bias is a real thing. There's also quirky characters that people love or amazing units. People like L'arachel for being herself, not a unit, and Seth for being good, not for being a character.

51 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Wait, the Nohrian banner is 26 days? Damn, I compared all New Hero banner and missed out the one which is the closest.

In that case I take back that I cannot imagine it. I just thought that it was strange for a new heroes banner to be as long as a seasonal banner. I also forgot that we have 3 new Hero banners in 3 weeks. So the length could also have other reasons like balancing out availability for the upcoming arena seasons and to give us the feeling that they give us time to stack up some orbs for these banners. At the end I can only guess about it. 

My theory (somewhere last page) is that the number of banners we're getting this month is to time it so that the upcoming seasonal banner (10/10-11/8) has its characters as Arena bonus characters (10/23-11/5) overlapping Halloween.

This avoids the complaint from last year that the Halloween banner started only a few days before Halloween (so that the Arena bonus characters would overlap Halloween) and mostly ran through November after Halloween was over.