Dragoncat

Race poll!  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Options

• TeamClavat
    • TeamSelkie
    • TeamLilty
    • TeamYuke

I'm so excited. One of my favorite GC games! I really hope they add a lot to it. Crystal Chronicles always had a lot of potential, so I hope they capitalize on it. It looks like they'll keep the stock characters instead of a character creator, but I really hope this remake has more visual customization, more side quests, and maybe more dungeons? 

Well I wanted to add a poll but the stupid captcha won't let me so...

@Dandy Druid @Chocolate Kitty What race are you?

Again... #TeamSelkie

Semi aquatic ninja pirates that call their kids "pups" like seal pups because they're kinda associated with seals? Yes please!

They also have knotted dicks like canines so they can have sex in water and not easily separate until they're done and they won't chap or get infections, and they have sex in water ALL THE TIME

Okay like 95% of that is headcanons but meh.

Anyone who posts after this is free to say what race they are too.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Time to track down my middle school buddies and relive the nightmare that was arguing over who had to be Chalice Bitch.

I hope the remake fixes that! Just have Mog be there in multiplayer. Not that hard.

I saw a good bit of the game in ye olde Nintendoe Powere back en the daye, but I never actually played this game. I'm not an online multiplayer person, so I'm probably going to skip this game again. I've also heard mixed thing about it. Nonetheless, I for some reason have something of a desire to play it.

If I were to play, I thought I heard something about having a character for each background or something was a good idea. But if I had to pick one playable character, me being my indecisive self, I'm not sure.

Lility: I don't like them visually at all, but they are the strongest melee, which is always easy good.

Clavats: The most boring visually being just ordinary humans, but they've their charm. Balanced is boring too, but not bad at all.

Selkies: A slight human variation, nothing much. Being the fast character does sound fun.

Yukes: They look real weird, but I did back in the same day as them come to really like Guillo in BKO, and he like them is magic-oriented too. Certainly an option.

I'm thinking Yuke > Selkie >= Clavat >> Lility for my preferences.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I saw a good bit of the game in ye olde Nintendoe Powere back en the daye, but I never actually played this game. I'm not an online multiplayer person, so I'm probably going to skip this game again. I've also heard mixed thing about it. Nonetheless, I for some reason have something of a desire to play it.

The single player mode is viable, you know.

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Well I wanted to add a poll but the stupid captcha won't let me so...

@Dandy Druid @Chocolate Kitty What race are you?

Again... #TeamSelkie

Semi aquatic ninja pirates that call their kids "pups" like seal pups because they're kinda associated with seals? Yes please!

They also have knotted dicks like canines so they can have sex in water and not easily separate until they're done and they won't chap or get infections, and they have sex in water ALL THE TIME

Okay like 95% of that is headcanons but meh.

Anyone who posts after this is free to say what race they are too.

#TeamSelkie

The Short-haired Selkie male was my main, but I also like the Short-haired Selkie female wearing lavender. Selkies have my favorite moveset because they're versatile and fast. I also like how their charge attack can be long ranged, keeping them from jumping in a potentially dangerous spot. Plus, I'm a fan of their dancing animation.

I'm also a fan of Clavats and Lilties, but Selkie is still the best for my style of play. Yukes are my least favorite mainly because they can be a little hard to play as, but the Shella Caravan is still one of the more interesting ones. But the Leuda Caravan and the Thieves had my favorite random events.

Edited by Dandy Druid

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

#TeamSelkie

The Short-haired Selkie male was my main, but I also like the Short-haired Selkie female wearing lavender. Selkies have my favorite moveset because they're versatile and fast. I also like how their charge attack can be long ranged, keeping them from jumping in a potentially dangerous spot. Plus, I'm a fan of their dancing animation.

I'm also a fan of Clavats and Lilties, but Selkie is still the best for my style of play. Yukes are my least favorite mainly because they can be a little hard to play as, but the Shella Caravan is still one of the more interesting ones. But the Leuda Caravan and the Thieves had my favorite random events.

*high fives* The long ranged focus attack is definitely a plus.

The Striped Brigands are hilarious and I picture Bal Dat hitting on my PC and her telling him to fuck off lol.

My only gripe: paddles? Seriously? Give them DAGGERS instead.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I missed this title, and I won't make the same mistake again!  Looks like we get to team up with people from around the world, so this'll be great!  I hope.

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

*high fives* The long ranged focus attack is definitely a plus.

The Striped Brigands are hilarious and I picture Bal Dat hitting on my PC and her telling him to fuck off lol.

My only gripe: paddles? Seriously? Give them DAGGERS instead.

Daggers would be more fitting. OR they can take inspiration from Ring of Fates and give them a bow. But I can see how a bow will make it easy to steamroll this game.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I missed this title, and I won't make the same mistake again!  Looks like we get to team up with people from around the world, so this'll be great!  I hope.

Serenes Team When?

Man, I remember playing through Crystal Chronicles. I was a Clavat main (the red hair with the bandanna). If/When I get the remastered version, I'll gonna go Clavat again, but with the "main Clavat girl" that shows up in various promotional materials. When I played the "My Life as a King" spinoff, I had an amazing Clavat that shared her design and carried me through that game.

I hope there's some new stuff in the remastered version, but I'll be happy just to play through Crystal Chronicles again on the Switch.

I successfully added a poll! *happy seal noises*

Fun fact: in Norse mythology, selkies were people who shapeshifted into seals. So yeah that's where that came from.

What is everyone's hopes for little things added to make the game even better? I want a quick save option. I don't have the patience to do a long dungeon in one sitting anymore. I also want Mog in multiplayer so nobody has to be chalice bitch.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

idk maybe litly? I honestly have played every race and enjoy them all

Maybe you're a moogle then? xD

Selkies are winning the poll. Bark bark! And you have now lost all the money in your pockets.  No down with racial stereotypes! DOWN WITH THEM I SAY! *does an epic back flip and sprints over to the water and dives in and starts chasing fish*

Edited by Dragoncat

On 9/13/2018 at 12:08 AM, Dragoncat said:

Fun fact: in Norse mythology, selkies were people who shapeshifted into seals. So yeah that's where that came from.

Note it's not entirely Norse. Celtic cultures also had selkies in their list of mythical beings, seemingly originating from the Shetlands and Orkney, islands north of Scotland and it bleeding over to Norse myth would make sense. Similar stuff is elsewhere in the too, with the Faroes, Iceland and Ireland also having stories with Selkies in them. 

Aside from that jostling in, I have to ask about this game as a person who never played it (never had a GC). How is the combat? Is it pretty open-ended? Can you customise any allies you'd get in single player? Are the other CC games worth mention? Just some questions for now.

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Note it's not entirely Norse. Celtic cultures also had selkies in their list of mythical beings, seemingly originating from the Shetlands and Orkney, islands north of Scotland and it bleeding over to Norse myth would make sense. Similar stuff is elsewhere in the too, with the Faroes, Iceland and Ireland also having stories with Selkies in them. 

I see.

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Aside from that jostling in, I have to ask about this game as a person who never played it (never had a GC). How is the combat? Is it pretty open-ended? Can you customise any allies you'd get in single player? Are the other CC games worth mention? Just some questions for now.

Combat is nice. You can run and hide and pull off ambushes and stuff. No ally customization, but you can pick from 4 appearances for each gender of each race. I only played the original and Crystal Bearers, the latter is kinda similar to Zelda gameplay wise, has more of a story, but the final boss is a major jump in difficulty so I never beat it. Crystal Bearers has a set protagonist unlike the original too: a magic clavat named Layle, in a time period where magic is pretty much unheard of. Him and Belle the selkie have sparks. I laughed when he had to use his magic to keep her from falling off a cliff and proceeded to tell her she needed to lose weight lol.

Normally interspecies is frowned upon, but I kinda ship it. They'd have a quick fling with birth control probably xD And both crap themselves if it failed and they ended up with a clavat/selkie hybrid kid who might have inherited his/her father's magic, and THAT would be a riot and a half...

Edited by Dragoncat

3 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

The concept of Selkies are from Norse Mythology, but what about the names? I heard Korean, but the source wasn't sure themself.

All I know is that they have two part names like Lilties. Clavats and yukes have one part names with yukes sounding more exotic.

And then you get to Crystal Bearers time and the naming rules seem to go out the window...actually all other FFCC games don't do the same naming system as the original.

English trailer:

Edited by Dragoncat

I have overall positive feelings on this game, but I hope they touch up a couple of things other than adding online multiplayer and giving us an alternative to the GBA awkwardness.

Equipment - probably needs a major overhaul... the defense and attack values in this game are easy to ignore ... and don't logically translate to "how many hits needed to kill things" very well. 

I kind of feel like the Default, Novice, Warrior, and Master equipment is the only equipment that matters because of thresholds.... The typical Square Enix math in DQ and FF is 4 points of attack = 1 point of damage, and it is obviously translated into FFCC , meaning that  pretty much every equipment outside of 5 point increments is pointless (despite having arbitary, random drop dependent crafting recipes)

This is especially bad lategame, as In between master and the "boss drop" equipment are - Victorious, Valiant, Mighty, and Father's -  However ALL of them are pointless - The difference between 30 and 35 has an obvious 1 hit less to kill advantage, but these 4 in-between weapons with values from 31-34 require the same number of hits to kill ALL enemy types as the 30 damage Master equipment, despite requiring specific forging equipment instead of purchasable scroll + the fairly common mythril. 

Revisits - Every level has 3 cycles, but you aren't really encouraged to do revisits except when forced too by geography or on your first blind playthrough... with early levels it's pretty easy to see how things are changed between cycles, but with later levels (Conall Cullach) the cycle difference is almost unnoticeable, as the levels are kind of cluttered on their first cycle to begin with.  One disappointing thing about the 3 cycles is that bosses are unaffected, unlike the normal parts of the levels.

Repetiveness - I think that some of the ARPG design is a little clumsy compared to other things in the subgenre - dodging everything is a little too possible (exception with mount vellenge status effect enemies) and even when you can't dodge, you almost always have the option  of infinte use, non-consumable healing to tank through everything, even in 10-15 minute long segment. I kind of also think that while simpicity is nice and all, a lightweight combo system would be really nice, because (depending on race) you either use normal attacks and ignore charge attacks, or NEVER use normal attacks and only use charge attacks, which kind of feels unnatural.

Vendor locations : Reinforcing the Noivce>Warrior>Master status quo is the convienient location of it in the second town... while making accesories or the "in-between" armor types requires trips to cities on the edge of the map  (and more complicated inner-city navigation  than the simple 2 exit crossroad) ... worst of all is probbably the Player town merchants, which are upgraded according to the  somewhat arcane rules of the relationship system, and even then, the size of the town is a bit unwieldy compared to all other non-dungeon areas. 

I think that the Switch remaster will definitely be better than the original game, but I kind of feel like it needs to make these little tweaks to help me escape the "blobber" mentality that the game's mechanics inspiried... I don't really think that the music/atmosphere need much change, since they are great already, but I think that the gameplay issues were a bit larger than just "GBA UI + carrying the crystal" .

Edited by Reality

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Dragoncat said:

All I know is that they have two part names like Lilties. Clavats and yukes have one part names with yukes sounding more exotic.

And then you get to Crystal Bearers time and the naming rules seem to go out the window...actually all other FFCC games don't do the same naming system as the original.

English trailer:

I'm lowkey peeved they didn't keep the naming pattern in future Crystal games, but I can make an exception for Crystal Bearers, because that game takes farther place in the future and there was a lot of intermingling between the races (cough CLAVATS especially COUGH). It made sense for Rose to have her name because she had mixed ancestry.

Meanwhile Ring of Fates (a prequel?) goes from names like Gnash to Gan Noo and the like.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Reality said:

I have overall positive feelings on this game, but I hope they touch up a couple of things other than adding online multiplayer and giving us an alternative to the GBA awkwardness.

Equipment - probably needs a major overhaul... the defense and attack values in this game are easy to ignore ... and don't logically translate to "how many hits needed to kill things" very well. 

I kind of feel like the Default, Novice, Warrior, and Master equipment is the only equipment that matters because of thresholds.... The typical Square Enix math in DQ and FF is 4 points of attack = 1 point of damage, and it is obviously translated into FFCC , meaning that  pretty much every equipment outside of 5 point increments is pointless (despite having arbitary, random drop dependent crafting recipes)

This is especially bad lategame, as In between master and the "boss drop" equipment are - Victorious, Valiant, Mighty, and Father's -  However ALL of them are pointless - The difference between 30 and 35 has an obvious 1 hit less to kill advantage, but these 4 in-between weapons with values from 31-34 require the same number of hits to kill ALL enemy types as the 30 damage Master equipment, despite requiring specific forging equipment instead of purchasable scroll + the fairly common mythril. 

Revisits - Every level has 3 cycles, but you aren't really encouraged to do revisits except when forced too by geography or on your first blind playthrough... with early levels it's pretty easy to see how things are changed between cycles, but with later levels (Conall Cullach) the cycle difference is almost unnoticeable, as the levels are kind of cluttered on their first cycle to begin with.  One disappointing thing about the 3 cycles is that bosses are unaffected, unlike the normal parts of the levels.

Repetiveness - I think that some of the ARPG design is a little clumsy compared to other things in the subgenre - dodging everything is a little too possible (exception with mount vellenge status effect enemies) and even when you can't dodge, you almost always have the option  of infinte use, non-consumable healing to tank through everything, even in 10-15 minute long segment. I kind of also think that while simpicity is nice and all, a lightweight combo system would be really nice, because (depending on race) you either use normal attacks and ignore charge attacks, or NEVER use normal attacks and only use charge attacks, which kind of feels unnatural.

Vendor locations : Reinforcing the Noivce>Warrior>Master status quo is the convienient location of it in the second town... while making accesories or the "in-between" armor types requires trips to cities on the edge of the map  (and more complicated inner-city navigation  than the simple 2 exit crossroad) ... worst of all is probbably the Player town merchants, which are upgraded according to the  somewhat arcane rules of the relationship system, and even then, the size of the town is a bit unwieldy compared to all other non-dungeon areas. 

I think that the Switch remaster will definitely be better than the original game, but I kind of feel like it needs to make these little tweaks to help me escape the "blobber" mentality that the game's mechanics inspiried... I don't really think that the music/atmosphere need much change, since they are great already, but I think that the gameplay issues were a bit larger than just "GBA UI + carrying the crystal" .

I agree with your ideas. These would really polish the game up. I never played multiplayer, so I can only speak from single player experience. All I can say that the family relationship system was weird, and the forging system had little benefit to it. It made the game feel grindy at times.

I also think they could add more content via sidequests and more "caravans". Although I think some of the sidequests are enjoyable, some of them take far too long and the end result isn't satisfying. There's only one sidequest that's worth finishing IMO, so adding some that have some real benefits would be nice. I would enjoy sidequests that are similar to how you get certain classes in Bravely Default. For example, for following the story of the Black Knight will give you some "Dark Armor" which changes your appearance and gives a stat boost in STR and DEF. Or encountering a dancer will result in getting Dancer garb that allows one to buff allies and has a passive that makes enemies drop more money. I also feel like adding some monster quests can give the repeating cycles of dungeons something more to think about. For other "caravans", it could be nice to see some non-Myrrh gatherers, like the Bandit Trio. I think having a merchant guild, an entertainment troupe (whom you can watch in-town), pirates, and such can really liven up the world some.