What popular franchises do you dislike?

Fabulously Olivier

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh i meant that as more of a general statement. Because GameFaqs is bottom of the barrel for any video game fandom (although in the case of Xenoblade 2, it's actually Tumblr who gives off the most bullshit criticism. Most haven't even played the game, they just want to bitch about Pyra's design). Although Kotaku's Xenoblade 2 review was pretty laughable, not because of the criticisms, but because they got a guy who hates the series to review the game, like why would you do that? Although i think Kotaku also put out an article bitching about the female character designs. I threw in Polygon in there because they are a massive joke.

Most of the comparisons i saw were to the scale of the world. Both Xenoblade and FF15 are JRPGs with massive worlds (though from what i hear, FF15 becomes linear during the second half of the game). But i hear a lot of criticism on FF15's part about how going off the main path for long periods of time gets you swarmed with enemies or something, discouriging exploration.

Oh, that irrelevant bullshit. My brother straight up told me that Pyra had an "unacceptable character design." I stared at him, rose an eyebrow, and just found myself wondering how we've fallen to the point of calling any artist's right to express their vision as they please "unacceptable."

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/13/2018 at 2:36 AM, Etheus said:

I was also concerned about the high school simulation aspect. But it's seriously not cringy like highschool animes tend to be. School days generally just skip class time, unless there is story dialogue. You'll also get an occassional single-question pop quiz to raise your intelligence social stat.

Aside from that, you get to choose your jobs. You get to choose which friends to bond with and gain combat and non-combat boosts for it. Dating is optional, as high end bonds can be romantic or platonic at your choice. There is so much variety and spontaneity in Persona's life simulator mechanics which really helps add unexpected twists to what could otherwise be an excellent but linear, predictable turn-based JRPG.

I recommend watching a little bit of let's play content to get a feel for the life sim half of the game.

@Von Ithipathachai: I second the above opinion as well, at least for Persona 4. It's one of the lighter entries, but the main story is nevertheless very well done and talks about serious stuff in life. The characters are something I feel in-place in real life, and their social links (or as I call them, their stories shared with you, the player) are something that we can relate with to. Even my least favorite character contributed something to the story that was worth thinking about, to say nothing of my more favorite ones. Speaking of social links, the majority of them are platonic friendships and extended family ties, with the exceptions of the girls in your high school, and the story focuses on the importance of friendships and general camaraderie (including those involving your extended family members) much, much, more than romance - which is seen as an minor optional bonus story-wise and comes without any effects gameplay-wise.

One possible caveat to all of this, however, would be that I recommend some knowledge of cultural/social norms in Japan, as there are certain things which aren't acceptable in your end of the world that are shown in a non-negative light in the game as said cultural norm. For example, one of the underage characters (the player character's cousin) regularly stay home alone, which is quite normal in Japan, and which I have done myself numerous times. This is considered okay due to Japan generally being safer than most other countries across the world.

Edited by henrymidfields

Xenoblade Chronicles- I used to like Xenoblade but X and 2 basically killed my interest in that series. X because the game moved slower than snails and the free downloads that were suppose to make the game go faster wouldn't download for whatever reason so I just gave up on the game out of frustration. 2 made me shy away from the series completely because the majority of the playable characters look like pre-teens and the more anime-like graphic and...certain character designs didn't appeal to me either. Even looking back on Xenoblade 1 I remember the majority of sidequests being tedious and the save scumming you need to do to get items from chests.

Legend of Zelda- I like the games as a kid but Twilight Princess was probably the last game in the series I genuinely like and after the disappointment I had playing Skyward Sword and A Link Between World I was done with the series. No, Breath of the Wild wasn't good enough to make me want to come back.

Metroid- I tried to give this series a chance and tried several of their games but the only game I like and finished to the end was Super Metroid. Plus the loud majority of their fanbase is annoying to listen to as well.

Other popular franchises I dislike but won't go into detail are Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Kid Icarus, Metal Gear and Star Fox. Gosh, this post makes me look like a Nintendo hater.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Tbh, the boss fights aren't really the highlight of Zelda games. It's more of the dungeons and the degree of exploration you get.

Then there's Majora's Mask, my favorite Zelda game. It takes everything that makes Zelda great and adds a dark atmosphere around it (and i don't mean like in a Twilight Princess sense, where they forgot what colors are). The Moon falling in three days, with an in-game timer means you can actually fail. Seeing the people's dread become more and more appearant as the final day approches (and this is reflected in the Clock Town theme) and it seeing it repeat itself every time you use the Song of Time. I love it.

I don't know if you're willing to play another Zelda game but if you are, play Majora's Mask. It's the best Zelda game in my opinion for both the reasons i just gave and the Mask mechanic. It also has the Stone Tower Temple, which is the best Zelda dungeon in my opinion.

I recommend the 3DS remake obviously. The original N64 version is pretty dated.

Are they still considered the gold standard today? I know in the past they definetely were, what with FF7 being considered one of the best games ever made and it's legacy continues to this day with Cloud's Smash 4 reveal shattering the Internet. But i don't know if people consider it the gold standard nowadays. Though i think we can all agree that it is the entry level JRPG.

I heard lots and lots of good things about Majoras Mask, but I think on the whole, the gameplay of Zelda isn't for me. I like dungeon exploration and puzzles, but I'm pretty lukewarm on the whole combat aspect of it.

Do they not, though? I was always under the impression that every JRPG in existence gets overshadowed by Final Fantasy, no matter how good they are. My perception could be wrong, though.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I actually felt the same way for a long time. But eventually I got over it and grabbed DQV. The franchise has its strengths in how much it clings to tradition, but at the same time, that is arguably its downfall. I like it overall though.

Not to be negative or anything, but I'd chalk it up to an inherited reputation. It was the first JRPG franchise to hit it big everywhere, and this repute has stuck ever since. SE constantly tries to live up to this reputation, but the weight on their shoulders is a heavy one, and big ambition = big chance for big failure.

Maybe I will pick one of the games up, as well. I'm just not interested enough to pay full price for one.
At the moment, I have other games on my radar, like the Devil Survivor games you recommended to me and that new game I played the demo of two days ago, Shining Resonance or whatever it was called (I honestly forgot).

That's a fair point. Hype in general is hard to live up to, just look at most modern games.
Personally, I love Final Fantasy XII, I think I've said before that that game is one of my favourites and I like X enough that I had the patience to beat the Dark Aeons and Penance. I just never got these "best game ever" vibes from the games, maybe because I didn't grow up with them.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

But i hear a lot of criticism on FF15's part about how going off the main path for long periods of time gets you swarmed with enemies or something, discouriging exploration.

The game will tell you whether or not you're in range of something, and there's plenty of opportunity to run away if you don't want to fight.  If they appear out of nowhere, they're probably cannon fodder, and stomping them flat shouldn't be a problem.   The only exception is if you're traveling at night, you're low-leveled, and you don't know how to fully leverage the battle system.  The player is explicitly told that wandering around after dark is a Bad Idea (and even then, the Iron Giants are beatable at level 1, but I don't have the patience or the mechanical skill to do that).  Oh, and the Menace dungeons, but anyone who whines about the encounter rate in those isn't worth listening to (complaining about the monsters in the dungeon is usually legit, especially Steyliff).

Yes, FF15 has problems, but this is one of the more ridiculous criticisms I've heard.

I don't mind dislike/criticism, but I want it to be informed.  It would be like me complaining about Xenogears because it's too hard to spell or something.

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Do they not, though? I was always under the impression that every JRPG in existence gets overshadowed by Final Fantasy, no matter how good they are. My perception could be wrong, though.

I think it's just because it's mainstream. The average gamer probably knows about Final Fantasy but are probably clueless as to what most other JRPGs are.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

The game will tell you whether or not you're in range of something, and there's plenty of opportunity to run away if you don't want to fight.  If they appear out of nowhere, they're probably cannon fodder, and stomping them flat shouldn't be a problem.   The only exception is if you're traveling at night, you're low-leveled, and you don't know how to fully leverage the battle system.  The player is explicitly told that wandering around after dark is a Bad Idea (and even then, the Iron Giants are beatable at level 1, but I don't have the patience or the mechanical skill to do that).  Oh, and the Menace dungeons, but anyone who whines about the encounter rate in those isn't worth listening to (complaining about the monsters in the dungeon is usually legit, especially Steyliff).

Yes, FF15 has problems, but this is one of the more ridiculous criticisms I've heard.

I don't mind dislike/criticism, but I want it to be informed.  It would be like me complaining about Xenogears because it's too hard to spell or something.

Thanks for clarifying. I was just repeating what i had heard so i apologize if i came off as uninformed (which i was). Again, i haven't played FF15 or any other FF game.

Edited by Armagon

I wouldn't say "dislike", more just have no interest in, but...

Metroid - I dunno...Super Metroid, as popular as it is, didn't really grab my interest.

Most FPS with realistic visuals - A common sight and sorta boring in my eyes. Splatoon is a breath of fresh air (no pun intended :P).

Bubsy - ...what? It's popular in the infamous way. :P

FPS with realistic visuals: I'm not a big fan of these kind of games in general. Althought Overwatch and TF2 do seem interesting and have appealing visuals, so I might give them a try.

Pokemon: I only played a bit HeartGold and the GBC games. I was unable to get used to the GBC graphics so I dropped them quickly. HeartGold I dropped early as well because it just felt boring.

Grand Theft Auto: I guess its funny when you do random shit in the games, but otherwise its not my cup of tea. 

Sports Games like FIFA: They just seem boring. I don't get why people love them so much, but ah well. 

Edited by Flee Fleet!

I don't find myself disliking games, despite my predisposition towards hot takes. God I love hot takes. More of those please.

I guess I have a weird relationship with JRPGs that errs consistently on the side of dislike when they clearly waste my time. I feel like I never share any opinion with anybody on these sorts of games unless they and I have both recently played it for the first time. Honestly I feel like this is the genre that sees the least genuine critique among players. They're extremely comparable games but every time you bring up something that bothers you, somebody's got some fancy way of saying "that doesn't bother me".

"This game is too long" "It needs all that time to tell its story!" "But it's a basic revenge plot that we later learn will save the world thus artificially justifying our main character as a murderer."

"C'mon that was a perfect opportunity for character development and they dropped it" "If this character responded that way then it woudn't be true to their character! Why do they need to change???"

All these walls of text and it's often a conflict of opinions, never facts about game mechanics. It's like watching an argument between two casual movie goers about a movie. But I guess unlike movies, JRPGs also suffer from the MMO/MOBA problem where each one is a huge investment to learn the rules and mechanics that people don't feel like branching out.

I'm not sure how popular this franchise is, but since they're making a third game, I figure it's popular enough to count: Luigi's Mansion

I bought the original for the GameCube. I'm not much of a fan of haunted house games, but it was a Mario (well, Luigi) game, so I thought I might as well try it. It really wasn't my cup of tea, if I'm honest, and I personally found the controls a bit tricky to fully use. Now, looking back, it may have been because I was around seven, but I fully understood Ocarina of Time's controls when I was four. 

I never saw the point of disliking a franchise as a whole, but the only exception for me is Mortal Kombat. Personal distaste of the gratuitous violence aside (as well as admittance that I've only actually tried 1-3 in the arcade, although they, along with youtube, told me enough), it's not hard to get the sense that the games use their infamy to hide the fact that the games are far, far from mechanically good, especially when compared to other fighting games on the market. Neither does it help that the main selling point of the games, the fatalities, kept getting more and more lazy as the series progressed, starting even as early as the third game, and only getting worse from there. It's not hard to get the sense that the series only remained popular solely due to the fact that it wasn't afraid to get bloody and gory.

With that said, despite the fact that I haven't played it myself, the reboot seems to be a very solid fighting game, and so does X and NetherRealms Injustice series, so I won't blame anyone for liking the series now that it seems to have gained more depth. Especially since the Reboot onward are considered tournament-worthy, which was something the past games could only hope for.

10 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I never saw the point of disliking a franchise as a whole, but the only exception for me is Mortal Kombat. Personal distaste of the gratuitous violence aside (as well as admittance that I've only actually tried 1-3 in the arcade, although they, along with youtube, told me enough), it's not hard to get the sense that the games use their infamy to hide the fact that the games are far, far from mechanically good, especially when compared to other fighting games on the market. Neither does it help that the main selling point of the games, the fatalities, kept getting more and more lazy as the series progressed, starting even as early as the third game, and only getting worse from there. It's not hard to get the sense that the series only remained popular solely due to the fact that it wasn't afraid to get bloody and gory.

With that said, despite the fact that I haven't played it myself, the reboot seems to be a very solid fighting game, and so does X and NetherRealms Injustice series, so I won't blame anyone for liking the series now that it seems to have gained more depth. Especially since the Reboot onward are considered tournament-worthy, which was something the past games could only hope for.

After a certain point(AKA Mortal Kombat 2), I don't think you'd find many people who'd go to bat for pre-reboot Mortal Kombat. Just a string of slightly above-average fighters at best, completely embarrassing at worst, with bad spin-offs here and there. Shaolin Monks was a great co-op game, though.

It's amazing that the series survived the decade of questionable quality between 2 and 9, and I'm convinced Ed Boon had some back alley dealings with shady people to push copies of these games.

I really don't like Grand Theft Auto. I feel it normalizes and glamourizes crime and violence as a fun thing to do to pass time. Gameplaywise the open-world adventure doesn't appeal to me anyway, but GTA goes beyond just "not for me" because I feel it did a lot to poison the video game industry as a whole. The way the game journalism circles heap praise on it feels like the equivalent of giving best picture Oscars to brainless violent action flicks, and helps prevent gaming from being taken more seriously by the world at large. (I also resent how you can hardly find any journalist willing to give the game a bad review, even when people like me are hardly uncommon; I feel unrepresented.)

Most other gaming series top out at "not for me, but I can see why someone might like 'em". As an RPG fan, among the more notable ones for me are Xenoblade (exploration does nothing for me, and I really didn't like the gameplay) and modern Persona (mostly basing this on 3, which I found extremely offputting due to some skeevy dating sim elements + not actually seeing anything I liked about it).

All games made by Blizzard Entertainment. I'll admit they have very polished gameplay, but despite solid mechanics I get bored with them relatively easy. I absolutely loathe all of their characters, art and story. Non-stop cliches, ugh. On the other hand, I play their games more than I'd like because many of my friends are unfortunately big fans of Blizzard and I'd rather have fun with friends playing games I don't like than playing alone with games I enjoy.

Assassin's Creed. Played the first game to completion. I had fun, but I've never had any interest in the subsequent titles. Combat system is terrible, and Ubisoft open world design is a blight upon the world. I did try my hand at other similar games (Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor), but that just furthers my belief that those games aren't for me. One of my favorite open worlds is from Shadow of the Colossus and there is almost nothing to do in it. I suppose having repetitive menial tasks is what kills my enjoyment.

Just to be clear, I like open world games, just not the Ubisoft flavor we see all the time.

Animal Crossing. Ridiculous limits everywhere based on the time outside of the game. Sorry, I only like wasting time on my own terms.

MMOs, whatever flavor they come in. Same as animal crossing.

I'm sure there are others I can mention but I don't have the patience to try to remember. Ah well.

MMOs - I Just despise them mechanically and for the amounts of downtime in between content that matters to me. That said I think that a lot of them have pretty underrated Lore compared to say, square Enix, and they do occasionally try to address their gameplay issues (albeit usually only at the endgame raid levels)

Diablo - On the surface level these kind of games fix the downtime problem of MMO by letting you fight constantly, but go too far and hit another problem - you get too used to the fighting and it starts to become simliar and blobber-ish, despite the initial breadth offered by charather types and differnces between say, melee, DoT, and summons, Later the "real game" starts to feel more like the gearing up rather than the actual combat itself- I think it's bad when what you do in fights is AN AFTERTHOUGHT

Borderlands - I really hoped to use it as a gateway into Diablo hack and slashes due to my familairty with FPS and but it kind of feels terrible as both a shooter and a hack and slash... I despise a lot of the game play, and don't like that trying to use cover or aim better is usually less effective than going and getting... that on-level legendary. It is possible to play it as a scavenger, but if you choose to do it then it becomes a "health sponge" game and the vague interest sparked by the different manufacutar gimmicks is ruined by the ultimate dependence on uniques/legendaries that usually perrform as general use weapons and therefore ignore the positvie/negative trade off that the rest of the game's design calls for.

Farmville/Growtopia/etc - Not really a series as much of a genre due to the way they sustain themselves over years and don't normally need sequels - tldr all the anti-grinding stuff and desire for active content > downtime I mention elsewhere

Falcom / YS / Trails of  - In my opinion the prime feature of Falcom compared to the other giants (square and enix) is that they were open about being "Light RPGs" as opposed to just "RPGS" and thus avoid the confusion and chain-effect due to influence on what is allowed in a mainstream RPG (mechanic-wise)... however, this of course means that I don't really like their actual games any more than the competition, just their marketing policy.

Tales of - While it's worth pointing out that the Zestira branch gameplay > Graces branch gameplay .... I think that in general, Tales games have a problem with giving players access to too much hitstun... which is particualrly noticable in older Tales games, which are obscenely easy and repetetive because of pretty much being able to ignore bosses in say, Symphonia, just by wailing on them so they never get a chance to use any of their attacks. Even in the most gameplay intensive titles, enemy super-armor only goes so far, and after all, it's not like the defensive/healing abilities, even when you finally have a reason to use them, are that complicated to figure out and are more of a bandaid that still lets you "wail" 50% of the time anyway. 

Golden Sun - Battle System is interesting up to midgame with the summons vs stat question, but all games in series are boring as heck for their endgame (but really the last 3/5 of the game) because collecting all the Djinn starts to award a bit too much stats, .... I felt like 3 physical beaters + 1 groupheal charather was pretty much what all 3 games in the series boiled down too, and for some games the "interesting" part of the game was really only 2-3 dungeons due to Djinn distribution allowing you to get into the "statstick" territory too early. 

Overwatch -  I  would honestly like Overwatch if it were not for ultimates.... in the FPS context, I think that not only do ultimate have the drawbacks that they do in normal MOBAs (adding timing elements seperate from the healthy positiong and information timing element) , but a couple ones specific to FPSs themselves - namely a kind of pseduo-predessecorin "grenade spam" it's no mystery why loadout points systems and lowered carried equipment is done in FPS games over the years... it's an undoubted improvement that makes fighting for an advantage against humans a more meaningul process... Ultimates... are a step backward, and largely fill the shoes of grenade-spam enabled tactics.. 

Castlevania Symphony of The Night : I've always preffered  1 / 3 / Rondo / Super, branch of the series than the RPG/adventure branch that eventually became the "face" of the series... I still think they RPG-vanias are pretty good games and  like top 30 material on GBA/DS but I kind of think that the adventure-platform that the series traded its more methodical hack/n/slash platforming roots for was something that was good for a couple individual games, but kind of stopped the series from ever really peaking what it had done in the 3rd and 4th console generation  .... In fact I'm not really all that excited about Bloodstained ritual of the Night, and many of the Indie type metroidvanias that have come and gone because of these tastes...

Genres are not series.

As in, I see any more of this, I close the topic.

Also, if you dislike a lot of things, it might be time to step back and ask yourself why.

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

... and modern Persona (mostly basing this on 3, which I found extremely offputting due to some skeevy dating sim elements + not actually seeing anything I liked about it).

If I am thinking of the same thing you mentioned, I did hear about this (refering to the bold italics) for Persona 3 - from both the game guides and the SMT Wiki, with absolutely no way of friendzoning anyone, and the jealousy system, which forces you to juggle your schedules with the social links, or only focus on one and ignore the others. Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to play the vanilla version - thankfully, the female PC route which was added in P3 Portable (the one I just started playing right now) is apparently better from a gameplay point, where the social links are more friendship sims with optional dating which was adopted from Persona 4 (see below). I can maybe let you know how that goes once I finish the story.

I can confirm that Persona 4, the one I completed once (and 75% done for my 2nd run) is a lot better with the friendship sim system. As I previously mentioned, the majority of the social links are platonic, with the exceptions of your female schoolmates/classmates, and even those you can friendzone. There is also no jealousy system at all - there is only one case where you can permanently screw up a social link, and for that you have to be pretty dumb to activate it. The stories/character arcs are also generally less angsty than Persona 3. (I suggest having a look at a couple of scenes from Youtube.)

-----------------------------------------

As for my dislikes:

The Mario series: There are many aspects I dislike, but the one thing standing out is this: No, Peach, I saw you busting out your moves since Smash Melee. I refuse to believe your claims of being a legitimate hostage of the fire-breathing behemoth; you are an idiot for not even trying. And no, Shit-Geru, you are not the video game guru anymore as seen by how the lower-downs had ideas of stories for Super Mario Galaxy, the deeper story they added for Rosalina (against your wishes), how Galaxy won the BAFTA Award, and you still think the extra story (and the generally serious story) was a bad idea. Stop acting stubborn and maybe get some ideas from Square-Enix or Atlus.
Also, Mario Kart for being unnecessarily unfair in Single Mode GP after Double Dash. Particularly for the former point - instead of handing out tons of blue shells and thunderbolts to the competitors for 150cc - what's the problem of item boxes handing out the bare basic items (and stars/thunderbolts being rarer) to the enemy like in 64, and with increased chances on higher difficulties, also to the player? With the net effect being that the player need to actually stay on top of things for 150cc instead of relying on stars/thunderbolts in 50cc?

Edited by henrymidfields

Metroid

When ever I see a new Metroid tile on a Nintendo direct I makes me mad that they they out so much work on a (opinion) a boring lazy game. I see the interest in this game, but to me its recycled cluster f**k of enemies and items most games barely make sunlight. When they do its all the wrong reason like federation forces.

Any FPS

All are just the same thing over and over again. Also the bullet sound probably would bug me after a while. Splatoon is different 

On 9/16/2018 at 3:04 PM, TheAuraKnight said:

Metroid

When ever I see a new Metroid tile on a Nintendo direct I makes me mad that they they out so much work on a (opinion) a boring lazy game. I see the interest in this game, but to me its recycled cluster f**k of enemies and items most games barely make sunlight. When they do its all the wrong reason like federation forces.

Any FPS

All are just the same thing over and over again. Also the bullet sound probably would bug me after a while. Splatoon is different 

YOU FOOL YOU SAID FPS AS A GENRE ECLIPSE IS GOING TO SHUT THE THREAD DOWN QUICK I'LL POST A SERIES ONE AND WE'LL HOPE SHE DOESN'T NOTICE

It is something of a wonder that Metroid is so popular considering how ridiculous the games can be if you think about it - collect 100% of the items that are hidden in sometimes obscenely obscure/complicated ways in fairly ridiculous(to the average gamer, anyways) timeframes so you can...see Samus in gym clothes?

Incidentally, you also reminded me that Splatoon is one I'd like to say I can't stand. The concept sounds ridiculous in a bad way to me(let's see who can graffiti the most in a set timeframe...also we can swim in less-than-an-inch-thick-ink, that makes sense), the controls really REALLY frustrate me, specifically the aiming, though I'm told 2 has better aiming than 1 so if I could get past the rest of the ridiculousness I might be able to tolerate 2, and the Inklings in general just get under my skin - why the heck do they look like they're part of some stupid fashion shoot all the time, and why, for example, did Sakurai make a point to talk about how fashionable they look in 5mash? The Octoling expansion trailer was only surpassed in ridiculousness by the anime opening that was the most recent Direct's Splatoon trailer, it's like the game is trying to be some sort of TV show or something and I absolutely can't understand how it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

Edited by SoulWeaver

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Incidentally, you also reminded me that Splatoon is one I'd like to say I can't stand. The concept sounds ridiculous in a bad way to me(let's see who can graffiti the most in a set timeframe...also we can swim in less-than-an-inch-think-ink, that makes sense), the controls really REALLY frustrate me, specifically the aiming, though I'm told 2 has better aiming than 1 so if I could get past the rest of the ridiculousness I might be able to tolerate 2, and the Inklings in general just get under my skin - why the heck do they look like they're part of some stupid fashion shoot all the time, and why, for example, did Sakurai make a point to talk about how fashionable they look in 5mash? The Octoling expansion trailer was only surpassed in ridiculousness by the anime opening that was the most recent Direct's Splatoon trailer, it's like the game is trying to be some sort of TV show or something and I absolutely can't understand how it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

Other than the controls (which people say is better if you use gyro controlls but fuck that), i don't really understand some of your complaints. Especially this part.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

also we can swim in less-than-an-inch-think-ink, that makes sense

Like, is it supposed to?

I also don't really understand the fashion complaint. Customization is a big part of Splatoon, why wouldn't they try to capitalize on that?

THAT BEING SAID, to me, Splatoon isn't as good as it's made out to be. It's fun but i burned myself out within a month and have no desire to go back to it, not even for Octo Expansion. And now thanks to Nintendo Online, half of Splatoon players have been Thanos'd and i don't give any shits about Nintendo Online until Smash Ultimate comes out.

I regret downloading Splatoon 2 because that means i can't get a refund.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

Persona: Never got my interest at all and the fact that the new FE has someone from the art department working in the new game doesn't help.

Was this confirmed? I thought the new FE artist was Chinatsu, who's known for otome games.

Although I think the art is ok, I'd rather have someone from Heroes become the main artist instead. I don't dislike Chinatsu's style, but her body of work is making me worried about how the final cast will look.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

Other than the controls (which people say is better if you use gyro controlls but fuck that), i don't really understand some of your complaints.

Barring Conception 2, I usually like a game based on either Gameplay or Story. As I've mentioned, Splatoon's gameplay really doesn't hold up for me, and I don't find its story compelling enough to make it worth trying to stick it out through the gameplay. This is also why I find issue with the fixation on fashion - it has nothing to do with either the gameplay or the story. If equipping specific items increased your run speed or made for a neat disguise or something, I would have less issue with it(As an aside, this was also an issue I had with SoV - if I get to put a Death Mask on Alm and Celica, it really should let me not trigger aggro on any of the Masks in Thabes). I suppose I have less of a problem with that in Smash, since aesthetic differences caused by palette swaps has never made any difference to any fighter, but it still bugs me that Sakurai's got to try and say something neat about this new fighter and all he can come up with is 'look, they're all so fashionable' - I mean, Villager, Ness, and Lucas all did that basic idea too, but at least there was more to say about them than 'hey, check it out, all the Villagers are in different clothes, so cool!'

Also wow I just realized I wrote 'think' instead of 'thick' in my last post, whoops, fixing that.

Edited by SoulWeaver

26 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

If equipping specific items increased your run speed or made for a neat disguise or something, I would have less issue with it

It does though. Equipment, whether it be clothing or weaponry, does give you new abilities. You just have to unlock them, which i guess is a flaw.

On 9/19/2018 at 3:56 AM, Dandy Druid said:

Was this confirmed? I thought the new FE artist was Chinatsu, who's known for otome games.

Although I think the art is ok, I'd rather have someone from Heroes become the main artist instead. I don't dislike Chinatsu's style, but her body of work is making me worried about how the final cast will look.

There's a lot of rumors going on and these mostly say that someone from Persona was in charge of the art.

I'd rather have someone from Heroes too, I dunno how to explain it, but the art style that they chose for this FE doesn't feels... Right...