Where do you draw the line between friend and acquaintance?

XRay

8 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I'm the same. I don't really give money to charity or homeless people or anything like that, but I'll pay for something for a friend without a second thought. 

It's a good smile.  I just prefer this one to the regular face because it looks cuter. :]

@XRay I'm a generous person in general, but that doesn't mean much coming from me myself.

Ah, it looks like the kind of smile, when you're pretending to smile, but it's a fake looking smile.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

I learned a new word today.

And the person, who if they didn't first show me the word, certainly is responsible for its integration into my normal vocabulary, is this guy:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20180527215640

Who said video games couldn't be educational? He used the word in the phrase "The epitome of ennui", describing ordinary human existence. Who'd have thought Loki would find non-chaotic situations boring?

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Could not find the clip, but I did find some articles.

Saucy.

Colbert said it explains a few Beatles song titles, like "I Get a Little Help from My Friends" :XD:.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I totally get that, and I think I am even more shy than you with non-friends. Some of my coworkers watch anime and play video games, but I still find it difficult to initiate conversations with them even though I think we may have a good chat.

I managed to have the balls to ask a girl out in high school once even though I barely know her. For some reason, talking to my coworkers feels harder, although in a different way.

That's more than I've ever managed, I've only ever been asked once in ninth grade and I didn't give a straight response, I just tried to shrug it off.

35 minutes ago, ViceTOLUCT said:

Basically, you posted a swear word in your thread, and somehow you're still here, so therefore, i think something is suspicious about you.

Who did what now?

1 hour ago, ViceTOLUCT said:

Basically, you posted a swear word in your thread, and somehow you're still here, so therefore, i think something is suspicious about you.

I think minor swearing is fine, according to the rules, and I am not sure where in my post I sweared. The closest thing there is to swearing that I could find is about me yelling penis at my friends.

I probably sweared in other threads, but nothing I could find in this thread.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:59 PM, XRay said:

Maybe it is just me, but friendships are like the easiest relationships to ever maintain. Like, enjoying friendship is the same as maintaining friendship.

When you are bored just call em up and do something, and that act increases your bond. Kind of like in Awakening with the pair up system, where there is not significant down side to using it, and the more you use it, the better the results you get. Not sure if that made sense.

It's more like a case of people having other responsibilities that get in the way, like crazy work hours or children. They'd love to hang out, if they had the time, so it just becomes less and less frequent, to the point where you might see them once or twice a year at best. Generally I try to invite those friends to my parties and movie nights and things as often as I can, but you'd have better luck summoning with 5 orbs at 3%.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:59 PM, XRay said:

That sucks. I never encountered that in real life before, so I always thought it was only in TV dramas and fiction. I get that people might not be comfortable around their friend's friend, but being jealous seems like a strange response to me.

To be fair, I've only had one friend who acts like that in my entire life and she's got issues that really require professional support, but she won't seek. What's probably more common is when two friends you have don't like each other (or it's openly and aggressively one-sided) and they back out of things if they know the other will be there. That, too, is rather rare, and I tend to just not invite them (or the aggressor if it's one-sided) if I know they're going to be needlessly difficult.

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

I wish I could unlearn that word. And un-read Camus' The Stranger.

You thought it was bad? Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis is way way worse. Or for something a few centuries older in the field of philosophy, Immanuel Kant's Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You thought it was bad? Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis is way way worse. Or for something a few centuries older in the field of philosophy, Immanuel Kant's Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics.

I've read A Hunger Artist years ago, so I'll look it up. As for Kant, it'll take a lot more work for me to digest anything coming from him. I've been reading too much Spinoza lately.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:30 PM, XRay said:

I think minor swearing is fine, according to the rules, and I am not sure where in my post I sweared. The closest thing there is to swearing that I could find is about me yelling penis at my friends.

I probably sweared in other threads, but nothing I could find in this thread.

Alrighty, an acquaintance is just a mook, a friend is self explanatory, an ENEMY however is people like you trying to blatantly steal ideas from people on Miiverse, maybe AmericanBuizel and Lucario666 were more truthful than I thought.

7 minutes ago, ViceTOLUCT said:

Alrighty, an acquaintance is just a mook, a friend is self explanatory, an ENEMY however is people like you trying to blatantly steal ideas from people on Miiverse, maybe AmericanBuizel and Lucario666 were more truthful than I thought.

You must be super bored thinking of false accusations.

An acquaintance is someone I can work with without problem, and can trust to complete the job they were assigned. However, I would see no reason to discuss personal information with them, nor would I see any reason to meet with someone outside of work. The only exceptions to the former is if said information is relevant to the task at hand, and/or is required in a formal situation. I.E. I wouldn't see any reason to discuss the fact that I had back surgery in a normal conversation (unless it's relevant, which has happened before), but I would have to provide that information when getting hired for a job due to that being legit medical information that the employers would need to know (despite the fact that in practice, I'm only forbidden to do two hobbies I have little interest in in the first place. I also can't sign up for the military, but that would raise questions of why I would waste the time of a recruiter).

With friendship however, well, all it takes is a combined interest in a even a single thing for me to consider someone a friend. I wholeheartedly agree with C.S. Lewis when he says "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'" Whether or not the friendship between a person grows deeper depends on where life them. You'll learn more and more about a person the more you spend time with them, but in friendship, this process is gradual.

I consider someone a "best friend" when they fulfill the role of an ally, but do so out of necessity and obligation rather than it being their duty. Unlike an ally, they'll stay with you afterwards, and would consider the whole incident to be a waste of time distraction, as it could have been spent hanging out together. I would also say that my best friend is someone I could have both a serious and a light-hearten conversation with, and they would stay for both.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

You must be super bored thinking of false accusations.

I think he's just mad that you mentioned a male-only organ yet aren't getting yelled at by a mod for it.

3 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I think he's just mad that you mentioned a male-only organ yet aren't getting yelled at by a mod for it.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

there's a lot for me that distinguishes a friend from an acquaintance, there's the thing with being completely comfortable saying the most wack things in front of them, like OP mentions, but there's other things too. 

for me a friend is a person i can comfortably talk about otherwise mundane interests with, such as just nerding out over video games, or what music i like, without the conversation feeling stilted, being able to flagrantly make fun of them for the sake of comedy without feeling like a complete dick afterwards, and just being able to laugh it off, and most importantly for me, being willing to listen to me bitching about something pointless when i get neurotic, because that helps getting me back up out of a slump a lot.

i mean, all that considered, those are large qualifiers, but i do tend to consider people friends after just a conversations or 2 really, but i suppose that might just be the naivete of youth, as OP mentions. 

holy shit i need to sleep