Opinions on Lyn

indigoasis

Yay or Nay for Lyn?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay for Lyn?

• Yay!
    • Nay!
    • Other!

Even if is the frist Lord Introduced in a fire emblem game outside of The Japan,Is just like she is Created Just to Introduce With that BORING lyn mode,That if you played Another Fire emblem before (like awaking or sacred stones our ever other fire emblem) it can be boring because you cannot Skip shit

ok ok,i guess that i talked More about who Lyn mode sucks more than lyn,Ok at frist look she seems ok if you start on Lyn mode and level up She until the End,BUT (butt) If you start at Eliwood or Hector Mode She can be kind Shit Due to Her Stats,Like you waste 3 Levels on He,Even thought you can just play the mode and not use Lyn that much just to Not have shitty Stats

Basic:She Sucks,Bad lord And unit

Well... she essentially embodies the idea that family bonds are more important then anything else to an absurd and self-destructive degree. Like, she learned that she has a grandfather who tried to have her parents murdered and she just doesn't care about any of that. She just wants to meet him because he is the only family she has left, without even acknowledging any other information.

And that would be fine if the story was going somewhere with that, but it really doesn't. She is just fortunate that her decision to ignore her grandfather's actions do not blow up in her face because the Marquis does genuine regret his past actions. And that's really not a compelling character journey. It does not make for good drama if every obstacle a character faces is tailored to their natural inclinations.

Not much to add when it comes to the main story. She is just there to be there.

Quite frankly, she is transparently designed for the player to want to bone her. I mean, it's not very subtle really. She wastes no time revealing her scared and troubled hearth to the player. And she ask's the player to train her, firmly putting herself below him, despite her being this badass warrior princess while the player is just a bookworm who can't even fight at all. And that's just the freaking prolouge. It's quite frankly embarrassing.

She is not a bad person at the very least, which is more then I can say for any of the Lords in the post Awakening era. But there is just nothing about there that makes her a compelling character. Prior of Awakening and Fates she was my least favorite Lord by a fair margin.

Edited by BrightBow

On 9/13/2018 at 1:33 PM, Bartozio said:

As a character, I absolutely love her. 

As a unit... she's far from the worst unit ever, but she's still pretty bad overall.

^^^
I'm on board with that.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:08 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

The BEST character in the series with the most interesting background 

...thats a bit much...

Yeah--shes an interesting character with a great backstory. But there's LOTS of interesting fire emblem characters with great backstory. I don't even think she has the most interesting backstory in her own game. (Renault)

On 9/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, ChefGuevara said:

Lyn having to struggle with accepting her newly discovered mixed heritage is more interesting than like, 75% of fire emblem characters.

Yep. I'd agree with that. 

My Own Thoughts 

Pretty much any character who gets a lot of screentime in FE7 is going to be an interesting, well-developed character. Fe7 writing in general makes for some charming, character-driven moments. 

Lyn gets plenty of screentime to shine, and its all put to good use to flesh out her character + make her feel like a real person. When you really stop and breakdown everything that we know about her history and her personality and her relationships from her supports and in-game dialogue--she's got ALOT going on.  

In Heroes she has like the same 5 lines of dialogue as every other hero and doesn't really get a chance to pop--unitwise she's much-improved, but her character got whitewashed and doesn't have that FE7 charm. 

...As a unit...

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shes fine (not great) once she promotes. Early to midgame she needs alot of babying, and feeding her kills is an absolute chore--you're almost always going to have to bench a more useful unit to field her. 

Lyn is one of the more severe victims of 1-2 range swords being almost non-existent in GBA. With her high speed and paper-thin defense, Lyn is a unit that really wants to be hiding behind a tank and doubling at 2-range against frontline units. Not frontlinining herself (at least not until shes leveled up enough that her evasion really starts to kick in, and even then you don't want to be exposing her to cavalry charges and wyern knights)

If this were Archanea Saga where you could throw an early game Levin Sword on her. Or Jugdral, where the game is just constantly handing you magic swords. Or PoR, where you can full-on stock up on wind swords at the generic armory.

She'd be fine.  

FUN SIDENOTE:  On randomized FE7 runs, if you manage to role Lyn as a Monk or a Mage. She's fucking fantastic.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

but her character got whitewashed and doesn't have that FE7 charm. 

Blame Treehouse for everything. I recently found out that BB!Tharja had her summoning quote changed from the classic waifu greeting (Dinner, bath, or me?) from Japanese to a super bland sentence in English.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

How is going generic from "Hi I'm in the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedroom, and barefooted" a bad thing? This was the character who in Awakening's Bonds DLC said she'd turn men to pigs when Nowi said they were commenting on her breast size. Her offering herself to the player sounds awfully out of character.

Such a quip caters only to a specific otaku and or incel crowd, terribly so. It hurts FEH's reputation. What woman IRL would ever go up to stranger and say that? It's demeaning and treats womenkind as objects of men to carry out their every whim and desire.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How is going generic from "Hi I'm in the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedroom, and barefooted" a bad thing? This was the character who in Awakening's Bonds DLC said she'd turn men to pigs when Nowi said they were commenting on her breast size. Her offering herself to the player sounds awfully out of character.

Such a quip caters only to a specific otaku and or incel crowd, terribly so. It hurts FEH's reputation. What woman IRL would ever go up to stranger and say that? It's demeaning and treats womenkind as objects of men to carry out their every whim and desire.

It caters to some players' fantasy. We are not so dense that we cannot separate fantasy from reality.

Other men are not Kiran or Robin, so her being selective with who she wants to be intimate with sounds normal to me.

To be fair, gacha games are kinda meant to appeal to uh...loser weebs...It's hardly a surprise that they'd make a character say that in FEH lmao

Gotta make that good waifu/husbando money 

Edited by ChefGuevara

I've never found Lyn particularly interesting or well written, she is overly selfish and clingy at times as well.

As a unit she also kind of suffers unless it's Heroes or FE:W (but then again in FE:W she got powercrept by Navarre).

Edited by Jedi

Generally just neutral on her; She's not particularly unique or gripping other than that she's our Marth in terms of first actual Lord played in a Fire Emblem game.

About the only thing that makes me support her inclusions in spin-offs is that she gets to talk with Player Avatars because that's basically her main role in Fire Emblem and she has not let me down so far yet.

So I guess she's sort of the proto-Camilla before Camilla, being an attractive woman who mainly talks with the player representation of the game.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:39 PM, BrightBow said:

Like, she learned that she has a grandfather who tried to have her parents murdered and she just doesn't care about any of that.

Haha, what? It was never stated anywhere that Lyn's grandfather wanted her parents dead.

10 hours ago, Gnome with a Wand of Death said:

Haha, what? It was never stated anywhere that Lyn's grandfather wanted her parents dead.

Sorry, I misremembered that a little. He did order Wallace to drag them back by force though. The point still stands that Lyn completely ignores how he treated her parents.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

The enemy must be a very large sandwich.

That it is. XD

Okay in her own game, vaulted to near-nauseating levels of ubiquity in Heroes.

In effect, THE ENEMY, err,  her name precedes her now, wherever IS puts her.

Edited by Karimlan