[Datamine] New GHB: Garon, King of Nohr

Poimagic

55 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Too bad. Travis didn’t come back. But I just learned Patrick Seitz also voiced Ghetsis from Pokémon Genrations! Maybe this is quite fitting.

I wonder what those two have going on between them. First Travis stole the Camus role from Patrick and now Patrick steals the Garon role from Travis. Travis probably got the better deal since he got to voice Camus and got out of voicing Garon. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wonder what those two have going on between them. First Travis stole the Camus role from Patrick and now Patrick steals the Garon role from Travis. Travis probably got the better deal since he got to voice Camus and got out of voicing Garon. 

Probably availability and that their voices sound similar enough :P

25 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

It's not technically an "effective against dragons" effect, so I'm guessing no, but does anyone know if Garon's breath negates Shield of Seals?

"Effective against dragons" and "if foe is dragonstone" are not the same, so no, Breath of Blight will not negate Binding Shield.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Huh? What do you mean? Travis voiced Camus first in Heroes and then Patrick voiced him as Zeke in Echoes after that, Seitz took the role Willingham had both times. 

Garon looks like an interesting unit, though I think I'll be sticking to using Young Tiki and Summer Young Tiki since I just like them more as characters. Good to see that Garon comes built with an amazing Base kit though so only a B-skill like QR or Guard and an assist skill is really needed to make him great. Being a dragon also gives him access to some pretty powerful inheritable breathes like Lightning Breathe and Dark Breathe, though I think I'll be sticking with his legendary breathe since it has a pretty powerful effect in nullifying Falchion effectiveness. I might run something like double savage blow and an AOE special to capitalize on his weapon.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:19 PM, NobodiePichu said:

who else could they possibly use? Hans or iago? maybe sumeragi or mikoto i guess, but they're all about as appealing as garon.

namely, eh whatever.

It’s sad Garon is the most interesting out of all of them XD

16 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Garon looks like an interesting unit, though I think I'll be sticking to using Young Tiki and Summer Young Tiki since I just like them more as characters. Good to see that Garon comes built with an amazing Base kit though so only a B-skill like QR or Guard and an assist skill is really needed to make him great. Being a dragon also gives him access to some pretty powerful inheritable breathes like Lightning Breathe and Dark Breathe, though I think I'll be sticking with his legendary breathe since it has a pretty powerful effect in nullifying Falchion effectiveness. I might run something like double savage blow and an AOE special to capitalize on his weapon.

You could also use the res-based ploy skills with him, I was looking into some builds for him myself last night. I'll probably use Atk ploy myself for his seal spot. Water Breath on him looks interesting as well.

Should we 5* Garon? Seems like he needs to be at least 5* to be something, as it unlocks Distant Def 3 and Breath of Blight, but is he good enough to spend 20k feathers on him? I didn't experiment with Fallen Takumi, but I feel like it's not a good practice to rely on the effect where you need to drag the game out. Garon's defense looks promising though.

7 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Why is he shouting? 

Because Corrin has to be deaf to not hear that his "real family" is Hoshidan. Even Garon is confused as to why he sided with Nohr tho we know why

I like this difficulty. Keeps me constantly on my toes

13 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Because Corrin has to be deaf to not hear that his "real family" is Hoshidan. Even Garon is confused as to why he sided with Nohr tho we know why

But I didn't bring Corrin. 

I like his warm welcome already when he is "summoned". 

Garon Infernal in one turn: 

This one was solved fast as well, regardless of precharged Dragon Fang, Wary Fighter and Guard (Guard on the healer prevented a player phase only clear though). I left animations on this time, it's one of the rare moments when Roy uses a damage special. Oscar needs Spur SPD from Cordelia since the Sword Fighter is buffed by the mage. Cordelia needs to kill the Knight before Roy kills the Healer, their support would make Cordelia kill the Knight too fast to proc Galeforce. 

Not sure if I'll do the Celica emblem and team Oliver clears. Reinforcements are nasty.  

/Edit: Oliver's and Celicas clears are posted here: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/84983-grand-hero-battle-breaks-garon/&do=findComment&comment=5310917

Spoiler

Edited by mampfoid

I know not why we have two threads for this, but I guess I'll fetch my clear from the other one:

Here's your obligatory reminder that Cancel Affinity exists! Grima slotting her regular B skill back in turned one of the most annoying units on the map into a joke, and stepping out of that godawful Panic Ploy allowed her to instagib the other annoying unit. There was nothing threatening to her after that, so most of the challenge in this map was in keeping the other units alive, requiring me to get creative with Special cooldown timings. Fortunately Veronica was there to handle buffs while Groom Marth was rampaging down right hallway, and through their combined efforts they plowed through all of the deadlier units. Bridal Ninian is still a great blue supplement to the team, having a Bladetome, being a Dancer and running Goad Fliers to make Grima even meaner.

7 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Why is he shouting? 

In Japanese, writers can make the stylistic choice of making a character speak in all katakana or a katakana/kanji hybrid.  Normally katakana is reserved for foreign words, names, or for emphasis, and using it almost exclusively has the effect of indicating that the speaker is not all-together human, or maybe they're possessed.  Many final bosses in the FE series speak this way.  All-caps is one way to translate that, I guess.  Personally I think it looks goofy. 

7 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Figured this one would be pretty easy given how clustered the enemies are.  Green unit with TA?  Oscar doesn't care. 

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't play End of All here.  Even reusing Takumi's Land version would have been more appropriate than the generic Fates music they used. 

Edited by DLNarshen

1 hour ago, DLNarshen said:

Many final bosses in the FE series speak this way.  All-caps is one way to translate that, I guess.  Personally I think it looks goofy. 

Interesting, didn't know that. Strange that he would speak in that way in the opening dialog of the map but not all the time (summoning dialog etc.)

1 hour ago, DLNarshen said:

Figured this one would be pretty easy given how clustered the enemies are.  Green unit with TA?  Oscar doesn't care. 

Yeah, funnily Oscar could kill the green TA mage, but not the Lance Knight (even with Brave+ and Lance Breaker). 

Oliver's clear was more interesting this time. 

3 hours ago, DLNarshen said:

In Japanese, writers can make the stylistic choice of making a character speak in all katakana or a katakana/kanji hybrid.  Normally katakana is reserved for foreign words, names, or for emphasis, and using it almost exclusively has the effect of indicating that the speaker is not all-together human, or maybe they're possessed.  Many final bosses in the FE series speak this way.  All-caps is one way to translate that, I guess.  Personally I think it looks goofy. 

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Interesting, didn't know that. Strange that he would speak in that way in the opening dialog of the map but not all the time (summoning dialog etc.)

Except that Garon in Japanese is not speaking in all katakana in the opening text at all. He's just speaking normal Japanese:

お前たちは…
わしに負けるためにこの道を選んだ…
ここで死ぬのが…運命なのだ…

... with a lot of ellipses.

All katakana would look like this:

オマエタチハ…
ワシニマケルタメニコノミチヲエランダ…
ココデシヌノガ…ウンメイナノダ…

EDIT: Because I'm bored, here's the direct translation in English:

All of you...
You chose this path so that you would be defeated by me...
To die here... is your fate...

Edited by Ice Dragon

11 hours ago, mampfoid said:

This one was solved fast as well, regardless of precharged Dragon Fang, Wary Fighter and Guard (Guard on the healer prevented a player phase only clear though). I left animations on this time, it's one of the rare moments when Roy uses a damage special. Oscar needs Spur SPD from Cordelia since the Sword Fighter is buffed by the mage. Cordelia needs to kill the Knight before Roy kills the Healer, their support would make Cordelia kill the Knight too fast to proc Galeforce. 

Not sure if I'll do the Celica emblem and team Oliver clears. Reinforcements are nasty.  

/Edit: Oliver's and Celicas clears are posted here: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/84983-grand-hero-battle-breaks-garon/&do=findComment&comment=5310917

Reveal hidden contents

That is a thing of beauty.  Looks so much more fun than how I cleared it (multiple turns, all reinforcements, much of battle enemy phase, dragon emblem).

I already said it, but that is how you work with less BST, they dumped his speed stat to give him mixed bulk rivaling that of armors.  Keeps good attack, and solid if not high HP.  Not to dwell, but really wish they optimized Julius's stat line like this dumping his speed so he could have good defense and thus make better use of his tome.  

Anyways looks like dragons got another good option.  Minus legendary Marth, being red with good res/def he should be able to handle all Naga and falchion users pretty handily thanks to his weapon.  

Ultimate theme team for Garon.  Team possessed, consisting of all powerful end boss characters possessed by something else.  Garon, Fallen Takumi, M Fallen Grima, Hardin.  

32 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

That is a thing of beauty.  Looks so much more fun than how I cleared it (multiple turns, all reinforcements, much of battle enemy phase, dragon emblem).

Thanks, glad you liked it! Just tell me if you want a tag next time. 

That's what I'm telling people all the time: Build more Galeforce units! Killing everyone on turn one saves you the trouble of dealing with ploys, buffs, debuffs, assists, AI, Firesweep and reinforcements. 

Plus it's fun. 

Advertisement end.

39 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I already said it, but that is how you work with less BST, they dumped his speed stat to give him mixed bulk rivaling that of armors.  Keeps good attack, and solid if not high HP.  Not to dwell, but really wish they optimized Julius's stat line like this dumping his speed so he could have good defense and thus make better use of his tome.  

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll promote him. He'd be a good addition to Oliver's team. 

No idea how to build him, I don't think he would be worthy of my last DC fodder. Lightning breath is boring. 

43 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Ultimate theme team for Garon.  Team possessed, consisting of all powerful end boss characters possessed by something else.  Garon, Fallen Takumi, M Fallen Grima, Hardin.  

Didn't know Garon was possessed. 

My team would be Oliver, Walhart, Garon (substitute for Stahl) and F!Grima (substitute for FH!Takumi).

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Except that Garon in Japanese is not speaking in all katakana in the opening text at all. He's just speaking normal Japanese:

お前たちは…
わしに負けるためにこの道を選んだ…
ここで死ぬのが…運命なのだ…

... with a lot of ellipses.

All katakana would look like this:

オマエタチハ…
ワシニマケルタメニコノミチヲエランダ…
ココデシヌノガ…ウンメイナノダ…

EDIT: Because I'm bored, here's the direct translation in English:

All of you...
You chose this path so that you would be defeated by me...
To die here... is your fate...

related, how does Grima, Grima, Hardin, and Zeph speaks?