So do people still watch standup comedy or am I an old head already?

ChefGuevara

I've watched a fair amount of standup, usually while doing homework, haven't really seen it talked about much here, figured I might as well throw a thread about it out there

So just to get the ball rolling, I'm gonna recommend something I watched just yesterday, actually, two sets from Daniel Sloss that are on Netflix, just released a couple days ago. Very dark, but very sincere in spite of that (think like, old Bill Burr routines, but focused on a central metaphor), its the only time I can think of where something has made me laugh and cry so hard within the same hour. 

I used to be really into it in middle and high school in the mid-late 00s. The unfortunate era when hacks like Dane Cook and Jeff Dunham were all the rage, and the Blue Collar Comedy guys were still relevant. But also an era with plenty of legitimate talent, and the resurgence/influence of Mitch Hedberg.

By college I mostly listened to it to fall asleep to. Haven't really payed attention to stand up in the last 5 years at all, though.

Edited by Slumber

I still listen to standup. Jim Gaffigan's new special Noble Ape was stupidly hilarious. I'm very partial to him and Brad Upton as of late, but I'm pretty much steeped in the "tradition" of guys like Carlin, Pryor and Bruce. Seems like the only people doing that kind of acerbic, sartorial humor those three do nowadays would be Louis C.K., Kathleen Madigan, or Lewis Black

I do. But it can also be because it is a really big thing in my country. There is one stand up comedian we have that is particularly loved by 100% of the people there, he's become some sort of cultural thing, and there are two others following closely behind. But in general, stand up comedy is very common and loved where I come from. I didn't even know it was regarded as something old, dated or whatever anywhere else.

Watch it intermediately, with my favorites being Bill Burr for a bit of honesty and shock value, Bo Burnham since that man is the best and a great songwriter, and John Mulaney as the funniest man I have ever had the pleasure of watching, when he's telling his own material. Mulaney isn't a very good actor, as seen with a few of his SNL skits. But with his specials, especially his most recent one, I could literally watch it on repeat for an entire day and still find it just as funny. 

My favorite standups are either Dave Chappelle or Lewis Black, probably because we're from the same area. I actually saw Lewis Black live on campus once too! Jim Jefferies is a close third though.

I've also seen second city in Chicago and DC (not exactly standup but plenty of famous comedians got their start here) and a few night clubs in New York. I've also seen Nick Offerman live and he wasn't that great, but Donald Glover is a pretty fucking good standup comedian live. I do love watching Bill Burr and Norm Macdonald in the right mood. John Mulaney is timeless and regardless of mood I enjoy watching him.

Edited by Lord Raven