Amazon Listing for Smash Ultimate

Jedi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-Nintendo/dp/B07GBTDS57?th=1

It has a curious detail.

”All 71 fighters are here”

As you all know Isabelle is our 68th, Echoes not included. Could this possibly be our final roster count before dlc?

Amazon did accidentally leak the 50 facts that Nintendo did about Smash 4. So this isn’t out of the question.

Similar sort of "leak" comes from the box art. But as Derrick points out this could just be a placeholder image meant to convey the fact that there are still more characters to announce and not necessarily how many. Similar to how the gaps in the Smash Mural image mean nothing since the characters are constantly moved around to accommodate new inclusions.

Funny, I was just texting a friend that I think the final Smash Direct will have two more characters, but I stipulated they'd be non-echos. In general I maintain my theory however that they won't go crazy with echos until post-release DLC, but a couple of them appearing in the final Smash Direct feels pretty likely to me as well.

Edit: Also the box art is missing Isabelle. But you need to count Isabelle as a slot in order to arrive at 70 slots - since Mii Fighters and (presumably) Pokemon trainer have all three characters consolidated into one slot. So that makes the image even more fishy to me.

Edited by Glennstavos

27 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Similar sort of "leak" comes from the box art. But as Derrick points out this could just be a placeholder image meant to convey the fact that there are still more characters to announce and not necessarily how many. Similar to how the gaps in the Smash Mural image mean nothing since the characters are constantly moved around to accommodate new inclusions.

Funny, I was just texting a friend that I think the final Smash Direct will have two more characters, but I stipulated they'd be non-echos. In general I maintain my theory however that they won't go crazy with echos until post-release DLC, but a couple of them appearing in the final Smash Direct feels pretty likely to me as well.

Edit: Also the box art is missing Isabelle. But you need to count Isabelle as a slot in order to arrive at 70 slots - since Mii Fighters and (presumably) Pokemon trainer have all three characters consolidated into one slot. So that makes the image even more fishy to me.

Actually, I think this one is very much worth looking at. For easy reference, the box art.

Now, notice that it starts with Luigi at the top and then goes in sequential order. It's missing 9 characters right away - the original 8 plus Dark Samus. It then continues for another 9 characters, up to Sheik, before breaking. 9 more characters are missing, from Zelda to Mewtwo. Then we get Roy to Snake, 9 characters. 9 more are missing, Ike to R.O.B. Then we get Toon Link to Mii Fighters, another 9. Then eight characters are missing, from Palutena to Cloud, suggesting an echo fighter of one of those 8 (Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr. Ryu, Cloud). Then we have 9 more slots, with Isabelle missing and one more unknown.

If this is supposed to include everyone and just has unrevealed fighters edited off, this would mean we're getting one more newcomer and an echo fighter of one of the above 8.

This looks like a very deliberate design to me, so while it's technically true that it can still be edited, I don't think it will be. Would they really resize it just to make it look like this is how it will look when it actually doesn't? Everyone is saying it means nothing, but I think people just don't want to believe it because it's disappointing. It is also possible that just not every fighter will appear on the box, but then why design it like this?