If you could add one more FE character...

Fire Emblem Fan

If you could add one more FE character...  

43 members have voted

1. 1. ...who would it be?

• Anna
    • Lyn
    • Hector
    • Ephraim
    • Micaiah
    • The Black Knight
    • Azura
    • Celica
    • Edelgard
    • Other (specify)

I'll start off by saying this: "Too many FE characters, too many sword FE characters, too many..." yadda yadda yadda. Please don't bring that here. This thread is for people who may still want another Fire Emblem character playable in Super Smash Bros. If you are not one of those people, then this thread is not for you. Now, on to the topic...

Let's hypothesis! Let's say that they announce they're adding ONE more FE character to Smash Bros. Ultimate's cast, and YOU get to decide who it is! You could promote Lyn from Assist Trophy to playable fighter, or bring in someone entirely new. Any FE character you wanted! Who would it be? (The choices on the poll are just the characters I've seen requested the most; if the character you'd pick isn't there, sincerest apologies!)

I think you all know by now who I'd pick. Lyn, of course! She's been my most-wanted character since Brawl, it'd literally be a dream come true if she were finally added as a playable character.

Due to my Bias towards Sacred Stones, Ephraim would have to be my choice. I even have a potential moveset

His moveset would probably be similar to Corrin's, in that the tip of his lance does more damage.
 His Neutral B could be or his crit, where it charges up and acts like Melee Marth's Sheild Breaker 
 Side B would be a standard Lunge, used for horizontal recovery. 
 Down B would be a counter, cuz FE character. Or it could be a sort of backstep-stab thingy, where it acts like a backroll without the invincible frames and an added attack. 
 Up B would be some kinda recover. I have no clue what tbh. Maybe he throws Reginlief upwards, and uses it as a tether (Reginlief has a rope/ribbon thingy on it)?
 Side smash would be a shorter version of his lunge
 Up smash would be him jabbing upwards with it, maybe able to slightly angle the lance
 Down smash would be a sweep, kinda like Roy's. Maybe instead of launching the opponent, it trips them, allowing for a quick set up combo.
 Jabs and grabs would be basically Ike's and Roy's, I guess.

His victory quote or one of his taunts would be "I don't pick fights I can't win"

His final smash would either be
-him and Eirika both doing a promoted crit, but coming from opposite sides of the screen (Ephraim in the direction he faces, Eirika from the opposite direction), hitting the opponents in a straight line, much like Marth's. It wouldn't be an insta-kill, unless both Ephraim and Eirika hit the opponent

OR

-Him doing a solo crit, as unpromoted Ephraim, where the spinny thingy draws people in close. (if it isn't his neutral-b)

I want the Black Knight, preferably with a Zelgius alt for obvious reasons. I'd like to see how Sakurai and his team could do the whole commanding presence he brings to the battlefield that evokes fear in opponents at all times. It'd be cool to actually see him kicking ass, taking names and duelling interrupting a duel that Ike is involved in for his reveal too.

Plus, it'd be awesome to see him facing the one character I want in that outside of a few silly variables, Dante from Devil May Cry. It'd be equally as awesome to see them fighting each other as it would with Ike and the Black Knight. (Damn, all these thoughts are really making me want to see some of these reveal ideas...)

Lyn is one I sadly don't see happening (due to having already been revealed as an assist trophy) and regardless of whether or not that'd matter, I think that ANY of these listed characters would make fine choices and be fun or interesting to play as.

Anna is my pick. She is somewhat of a mascot for Fire Emblem and she has no presence whatsoever in a game about mascots fighting each other, what? Not to mention I could see her bringing all the different weapon types from Fire Emblem all on her own with her moveset. I would also be fine with Alm, Celica or Azura as well.

I think the next Fire Emblem newcomer should be Alm. It would work since he's counted as a past Fire Emblem character and it would get him to be added since Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was released last year. His neutral special move would be the Bow and it be similar to Link's and Pit's Bow attack so that would be avoided to the plain swordsman category. And his final smash should be his skill Scendscale.

Edited by King Marth 64

Ephraim, since he's my second favorite lord after Ike. Having both my favorite FE lords playable would simply be incredible. I'd be more excited than I was when Ike got revealed for Smash 4. And believe me, I was ecstatic for that. lol

Also, Ephraim is a lance wielder which Smash lacks entirely.

I also wouldn't mind Black Knight as an Ike echo though. He's my favorite antagonist.

Edelgard would make the most sense from a marketing perspective while also adding more variety to the playable Fire Emblem roster.  If she were to get in, she'd probably fight mainly with swords like everyone else and incorporate axes into her Special moves, which I think would be an okay compromise.  My vote goes to her, because axes while having more marketing relevance than Hector.

Alternatively, I could see Celica getting in as a far easier to implement Echo Fighter of Robin.

You have to keep in mind that marketing is the reason why so many of the more recent newcomers have been from Awakening/Fates (albeit mostly Awakening).  The facts are that the 3DS and Switch are still selling units whereas the Game Boy Advance and Wii are not.  Therefore the 3DS games (and probably Three Houses too, when it comes out) are far easier to continue squeezing life out of.

Other: Tana! Imagine the possibilities! Flying, and lance, and flying, and lance... I mean, at least she is not a sword user. Or a main lord. These are probably why she is not yet in any smash. Or becuase Sacred Stones is not popular enough. Ah well, any Magvel character would make me buy the game instantly at this point...

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Edelgard would make the most sense from a marketing perspective while also adding more variety to the playable Fire Emblem roster.  If she were to get in, she'd probably fight mainly with swords like everyone else and incorporate axes into her Special moves, which I think would be an okay compromise.  My vote goes to her, because axes while having more marketing relevance than Hector.

Alternatively, I could see Celica getting in as a far easier to implement Echo Fighter of Robin.

You have to keep in mind that marketing is the reason why so many of the more recent newcomers have been from Awakening/Fates (albeit mostly Awakening).  The facts are that the 3DS and Switch are still selling units whereas the Game Boy Advance and Wii are not.  Therefore the 3DS games (and probably Three Houses too, when it comes out) are far easier to continue squeezing life out of.

I sure am glad the topic is "who do you WANT," then!

10 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Hadn't noticed that when I wrote my post.

Though in that case, I will say I want Three Houses to be successful, and including Edelgard might help.

Oh for sure, I'm optimistic about Three Houses and definitely want it to succeed. If I didn't want Lyn so badly, Edelgard might even be my choice; I think she'd be a pretty good axe representative.

I would love to see Micaiah in Smash Bros. either as an Echo of Zelda, or as a new fighter with a unique moveset. I like her character and design, it would be cool to see the Tellius games get more representation outside of Ike, and her bringing pure light magic to the table would be interesting.

Plus, however they decide to use it, Thani could potentially be a very interesting unique gimmick for her. To reflect the fact that Thani is basically a magic rapier, they could have it that heavier opponents are flown further by this attack than light opponents. i.e. this attack would be terrible against Kirby or Jigglypuff, but would be awesome against Ganondorf, Bowser, etc. 

Plus, if they include Micaiah as an Echo of Zelda, than either Sothe or the Black Knight could appear as her down special, so one of them would also be in Smash in a way. 

Another reason why I would love to see Micaiah in Smash is that I have a feeling that Edelgard is pretty much inevitable as a DLC fighter. We all know they just love to use Smash Bros to advertise upcoming FE games. 

I think the next Fire Emblem newcomer should be Alm. It would work since he's counted as a past Fire Emblem character and it would get him to be added since Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was released last year. His neutral special move would be the Bow and it be similar to Link's and Pit's Bow attack so that would be avoided to the plain swordsman category. And his final smash should be his skill Scendscale.

Alm, even with the bow, wouldn't really be unique enough. If anything, I'd rather see him be part of Celica's Final Smash, where the two finish off the opponents together: her using Ragnarok and him using Scendscale. 

Edited by vanguard333

Hector, I feel like we already have to many lords with swords. (Oh that rhymed) I think Hector would be a cool addition with his axe. But pretty much any magic user would be cool to, as I said before we have to many lords with swords, and it would be cool to have a long ranged magic user.

I’m probably in the extreme minority here but I wouldn’t mind seeing Inigo being added. Yes, he’s another sword user but I’ve never really cared about the amount of sword users in the game. Plus his moveset could be dancer based. And he’s not a Lord character so that’s another bonus.

1 hour ago, Eqstrian819 said:

I’m probably in the extreme minority here but I wouldn’t mind seeing Inigo being added. Yes, he’s another sword user but I’ve never really cared about the amount of sword users in the game. Plus his moveset could be dancer based. And he’s not a Lord character so that’s another bonus.

Actually, I think that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind him replacing Lucina.

20 minutes ago, Robin126 said:

Actually, I think that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind him replacing Lucina.

I don’t think he’d replace her (Nintendo would never let that happen, if Warriors was any indication) but he’d maybe help expand on the FE second gen rep.

So I'm going to be a judgemental dickwad & give my opinion on all the choices here.

Anna)

I can easily imagine both a composite & an original Anna made specifically for Smash. Think something along lines of Dissidia Firion & a weapon master Anna is beyond appealing. If this idea miraculously ever makes it in (it won't) then I'm hoping that Anna has a combination look of a merchant & a mercenary.

Lyn)

As far I'm concern she's long overdue. Smash Bros doesn't have any Iaido sword users & the fact Lyn could dual wield Sol & Mani Katti would make her stand out from the rest of the swordsman. Add a bow & arrow for projectile & that's a winning combination. Too bad Lyn also proves the worst thing that could happen to a character is exposure, although I would argue Fire Emblem  as whole is already doing that.

Hector)

It sure would be nice to have Hector in for all the obvious reasons. A heavy weigh character, an ax user, & burly man makes him a winning combination. He's not going to make it in but it sure would be nice to have old man Hector as an alt. I personally think it would be nice if Hector had a counter that can retaliate regardless of the distance as a reference to his Distant Counter in Heroes. I think would also be better if said Distant Counter has him using heat ray vision as the counter animation.

Ephraim)

If Bandanna Dee does make it in (god I hope so) then I would like him to have another spear buddy. There's nothing I can really add here other than I would like Ephraim to throw a common javelin or whatever legendary spear instead of throwing Siegmund. It would be just nice to the source material. I imagine Ephraim being some sort lightning bruiser that leaves him open whenever he fails to land an attack. I am having difficulty time imaging what his Up B would look like other than what Final Fantasy's Dragoon has been doing.

Micaiah)

If done right, Micaiah could be one of the most visual appealing character in the series. I'm sure that's a lot of thing you can do with Light Magic (which Robin doesn't have at all in Smash) & the only reasons I can't think of any is because of my lack imagination.

Black Knight)

I would like him get in even if he is an echo of Ike. It would be just nice to have more villains & heavy weighs in general. I would love it if somehow BK can keep his sword beam as part of his attack somehow. I want to believe being Mii costume means something & that whole thing about not appearing Siege gotta means something. If not, at least a boss character?

Azura)

A bias choice for me personally. There's so much I can see in her moveset potential. In my bias opinion I think she's an even better choice than Ephraim  with her being a songtress that can manipulate water & Warriors only reinforce my notion. But she's a 3DS era character therefore she's a horrible choice.

Celica)

I hate that I can only see her get in because of being Robin's echo. There so much one can do with SOV's combat art & implement that into Celica's moveset. But no, every Fire Emblem character has to play like an already existing character. Which apparently Warriors wanted to reinforce on that as well.

Edelgard)

I don't like that Edelgard is already being consider a candidate because of promotional reasons but it's not like that's the only reason she's consider. Her having combat art & sorcery while wielding not only makes her an enticing choice, but it does wonder for her hypothetical moveset. That being said, it still incredibly annoying that she has leg up from the rest Fire Emblem cast because of Three Houses

You'll hate me for this, but Tharja. Seriously, I'd be super happy

If I had to choose a lord though, which they almost exclusively insist on putting in Smash, I'd definitely choose Ephraim. A spear-user would be a fresh change of pace for FE reps