Does anyone still use Hones/Fortifies?

Corrobin

Not, like, Hone Cavalry or Fortify Armor, the basic ones (Hone Attack, Hone Speed, Fortify Defense, Fortify Resistance). It feels like they've been super powercreeped, and yet you still have the occasional newly released Hero with them (Legendary Ephraim with Fortify Defense, Mathilda and Fallen Celica with Hone Attack, etc.).

Do you use them? If so, where?

I don't use normal Hone/Fortify skills. In my Infantry Team I prefer to use Drive skills or Spur skills. Unless we get a Dual Hone/Fortify for infantry units, I don't plan to use them again.

For Emblem Teams, I use their especific Hone/Fortify. For Mixed Teams, I use Tactic Skills.

Considering how tactics buff fodder is hard to come by., I find occasional use for hone attack. Why has Legault still not shown up in my barracks? Speed tactic fodder doesn't exist unless you manage to get L!Lyn and even then why would I sacrifice a 5* Legendary hero when I don't have enough 5 stars for arena assault. 

Not really, but then again, I don't really have many optimized teams. I use flier buffs in my flier team, tactics in my "4 tactics Eirika" team, and none in my mixed, event/story team (bonus character, Fjorm, dancer, archer). I used to use hone speed back then, but I don't find it that useful anymore.

The vast majority of my infantry units use Hone Atk or Hone Spd. It's easy to use and works no matter what kind of team I throw them into for AA use. I also like being able to toss in a blade tome mage when needed as well, so they're better than having drives on everyone for me. It helps that I get a ton of F.Corrins, Olivias and Matthews for fodder.

Fliers and cavs mostly have their emblem buffs, and armors either wards or Armor March. Tactic skills are still too hard to come by for me to use them beyond my core arena team. I'm not spending 20k on L'Arachels or foddering extra Shiros and L.Lyns to units that only see much use in AA. I don't get many Legaults either.

Edited by Alkaid

Most of my dancers use Hones or Fortifies, partly because they come with them and I'm cheap, but also because I can't count on having an opportunity to use them in conjunction with Tactics. This is especially true in AA, which is where I need them the most.

I primarily use Hone Atk, Hone Spd, Drives, Ward Armor, Hone Cavalry, and Hone Fliers. Hone Atk and Hone Spd are used the most.

Most of my Dancers/Singers have Hone Attack and/or Hone Speed. Other buffs are not reliable or are too restrictive, so I do not bother giving it to them unless I need to clear some stuff out. However, my flying ones do not use them anymore since they are permanently supporting flying nukes in my Arena Assault teams, but I still switch them back if I need their mobility for PVE content.

50 minutes ago, Florete said:

I still use them plenty often since I don't have endless fodder of the new stuff, nor am I always using mixed teams for Tactic skills.

Basically this. I often have Nowi and Tiki carrying Hone Spd and Hone Atk between them to buff Nino.

Yeah, I still rely on them. They are easy to use and easy to get.

I have been meaning to add some Tactic skills but very often my team compositions, for Arena etc, don't allow for them.

Other times it's because they are super rare like Atk and Spd.

EDIT: I forgot Legault has Attack, but I only have one of him.

Edited by VincentASM

Pretty much entirely for regular infantry, I tend to stick with emblem teams.

Even still, drives are more my cup of tea when I can get them on units. Higher arena score and further range are enough for me that -1 is no big deal.

Only if the unit comes with it in his/her base set. For inheritance, not looking for it anymore. I prefer Drive skills, and combat buffs in general, but I'm more of a low budget builder than anyone else here.

One of my best blue mages is Delthea. With her Dark Aura tome giving +6 to physical allies at the beginning of the turn, I also gave her Hones/Fortifies for her C and S skills. Buffing three stats for my infantry units is amazing.

Edited by Lord_Grima

Yes I use them on most of my infantry units, especially hone atk and spd most of my dancers and dagger users have some type of hone skill on them. 

Edit: I have no Idea why I all of a sudden have a big white space after my post if the mods can fix be my guest because I really don't know what happened.

Edited by Ice Dragon
Fixed the giant white space.

On Eirika and if using blade tomes on a non tactic team.  However in general if running mixed team much prefer tactics, if running emblem of course will run the emblem buffs, if running infantry prefer pulse and drives.  I really really like drives in general.  No worry about panic ploy, can stack them to insane levels too.  The new guard skills seem very promising as well.