When did you start feeling like an adult (if you ever have)?

Jotari

When did you start feeling like an adult?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start feeling like an adult?

2. 2. What life milestones made you feel more like an adult?

• Having a job
    • Buying a car
    • Buying a house
    • Losing my virginity (is that too private to ask? Don't feel compelled to answer if it is)
    • Living with a partner
    • Having a child
    • Going to college
    • Moving out of my parents house
    • Finally becoming President of the United States
    • Nothing as of yet.
    • First time someone important to me died
    • Finally beating Thracia 776

Legally we all become adults at 18 (I presume), but obviously that's just a general law. Humans aren't butterflies, there's no fine line between childhood and adulthood. Some people can be very mature as teens and some people never really grow up personailitywise. What about you? At what age in your life (if any) could you say to yourself "Yes, I feel like a fully matured human being now."

Edited by Jotari

I felt like an adult when I taught kids younger than me for two months during the summer. Even if you don't think you are, everyone around you thinks of you as one, so you have to be one to meet the kids' expectations. Now that I'm done with that job, I think I'm starting to dip back into being a kid myself lol.

the year I turned 18 I ended up going through living hell in every way and I found out how evil adults can be to decent people.  After that I have never felt like a kid again and sadly I still carry this pain with me and it makes me wary of trusting anyone ever again.  There is this saying that "childhood is the kingdom where nothing dies" I think that if you go through something that makes a part of you die you can't go back to being a kid.

When I was 15 years old, I got very sick.

After that, I saw the world in a whole other view. I was 'mature'.

I barely had any real connection with kids of my age. To this day I still got trust issues

Fun fact: when I became 18, I felt kinda right. 

2 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

the year I turned 18 I ended up going through living hell in every way and I found out how evil adults can be to decent people.  After that I have never felt like a kid again and sadly I still carry this pain with me and it makes me wary of trusting anyone ever again.  There is this saying that "childhood is the kingdom where nothing dies" I think that if you go through something that makes a part of you die you can't go back to being a kid.

I agree. A number does not define if you are an adult or mature. It are the events that ones experience in life that determined whether you feel mature.

But I am not saying that you cannot grow into an adult without any drastic event. In fact, I envy those (in a good way) who turn into a mature adult in a natural way without any drastic experiences.

I think that, mature adults are those who realize their existence in this world, who can listen to another with an unbiased view and who can respect each other for the person they are. 

i feel mature, and i'm <18 years old, but that doesn't mean i feel like i'm completely done with growing up. to phrase it better, i feel like i could take on the world already, but i think there's still way more room for me to grow as a person, like i think of most people, rather judgementally. 

its ass'o'clock for me, jesus. i'm a mess. 

6 hours ago, Edgelord said:

hahahahaha

this, basically.

I'm 22 and I still don't feel like an adult. Instead, I just deal with any problems that might arise with adulthood, then look back and think "well, I guess I'm more mature now, but I still got ways to go". I still feel the same as I did when I was a kid, and I'll probably still feel that way when I'm old.

tl;dr I just feel like someone who rises to the occasion out of necessity when there is a problem, but who in no way feels like an adult (or fitting into the ideal of adulthood).

17 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

27 and still waiting, the only thing that changed was my perception of time. Time starts to go so fast once you hit 20. I’m 27 but I swear I was 22 yesterday! I swear!

He isn't lying. I still feel like I'm 20

To me, adulthood is so annoying at this point that it feels so boring to reach. Society looks at you weird when you have +20 years and you jump like Mario just for fun and laughs.

"Stop playing games!" "Stop making jokes!" "Stop being cheerful all the time!" "Stop having fun!" "What are you? Some sort of man-child?"

I'm a fun and pretty nice guy and I don't want to give up all of my goodness because of some society-imposed life milestone, no thanks. Growing up is learning from your mistakes and how to resolve problems in better ways, not becoming a boring and lifeless person.

51 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

To me, adulthood is so annoying at this point that it feels so boring to reach. Society looks at you weird when you have +20 years and you jump like Mario just for fun and laughs.

"Stop playing games!" "Stop making jokes!" "Stop being cheerful all the time!" "Stop having fun!" "What are you? Some sort of man-child?"

I'm a fun and pretty nice guy and I don't want to give up all of my goodness because of some society-imposed life milestone, no thanks. Growing up is learning from your mistakes and how to resolve problems in better ways, not becoming a boring and lifeless person.

THANK YOU SOMEONE WITH SOME SENSE!

I can be responsible and cheerful at the same time while still having a soul dammit! 

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

THANK YOU SOMEONE WITH SOME SENSE!

I can be responsible and cheerful at the same time while still having a soul dammit! 

I mean, why you should give up your cheerfulness for some responsibilities? Make the best of it, instead! :D

There's always a way to see things in a good way.

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

27 and still waiting, the only thing that changed was my perception of time. Time starts to go so fast once you hit 20. I’m 27 but I swear I was 22 yesterday! I swear!

Oh gods. This is so ridiculously true.

Poll added for life milestones. Feel free to suggest more.

Edited by Jotari