Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio, Fully Playable)

Von Ithipathachai

Okay, some updates to the release plans.

My original idea was to release v4.1 with both the planned bugfixes and some new game refinements such as a new soundtrack, improved enemy AI, and changes to Chapters 22-28.  However, someone else on Discord reported encountering the custom.rankSkills crash, meaning that I can no longer in good conscience put the bugfixes off much longer.

So expect a v4.0.1 with just the planned bugfixes and new title screen, and a v4.1 with the game refinements later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shamans' artwork is done:

Shaman_Prez.png

Manzarek_Pres.png?width=802&height=676

Playtesting of v4.0.1 is still in progress, though going slower than I'd like due to numerous school-related obligations.

Also, positions for new map and battle sprite artists are still open for anyone able and willing to take them.  More details can be found here:

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

v4.0.1 is now available!  It fixes several bugs of varying severity found in v4.0 and makes a couple of other minor gameplay tweaks.  Your v4.0 save files should be compatible with it, though your Support Log completion will not carry over (this has been the case for several previous versions, but I've only now gotten around to noting it).

And when you finish the game, don't forget to fill out the v4.0+ popularity poll if you haven't done so already!  Thank you.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey, guys.  Sorry I've gone so long without updating.  I have some difficult news to share with you guys regarding the state of Sanctaea Chronicles.

I've gotten back in touch with Furan, and to make a long story short, it's been decided that he will no longer be doing the full capacity of Fateswakening-style halfbody portraits initially planned for the game.  His IRL responsibilities right now are simply too great for him to juggle alongside making full expressions for everyone, but more importantly alongside making portraits for generics and NPCs later on down the line.

To bring proper closure to his time doing art for SC, the remaining playable characters will receive halfbodies with default expressions, and that's it.  They will be retained for viewing in the game's gallery as a bonus feature, but will not be used in any gameplay capacity.  Furan will still be co-credited with me as a primary character designer.

As for how I plan to replace the GBAFE-style portraits currently being used in-game, ...I don't know.  I really don't.  What would most likely happen is I'd have to make new in-game portraits for everyone myself after getting back in practice with drawing.  But that will probably take a very long period of time to accomplish, time that I'll be having difficulty setting aside when I also have stuff like school and then, when that's done, adulting to deal with.  In addition, my motivation to work on the game in general has basically gone down the crapper now that the only major additions remaining to be made are related to graphics and music, things I have a hard time caring about on my own in comparison to game design and writing.

I guess that's all I have to say at the moment.  I'm sorry if any of you are disappointed by this news, and I understand if you are.  Hopefully I've still been able to entertain you with my work, which is perhaps the most important thing at the end of the day.

v4.1 of Sanctaea Chronicles is now available! This release introduces weapon/item merging, improved enemy marking, an extra inventory slot for units, and other quality of life enhancements. Your previous v4 save files should be compatible with it, though your Support Log completion will not carry over.

When you finish playing the game, also please fill out the v4.0+ popularity poll if you haven’t done so already.

This will probably be the last release for a while as I continue sorting out the graphics and audio situation and deal with other IRL business. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy.

• 6 months later...

If I'm understanding things well, the game is actually completed from a story and mechanics standpoint?

A few years ago, I did play an early version of the game and I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I generally don't play unfinished versions of games since I dislike replaying the same sections over and over. 

Engage being announced does get me back in a "must play Fire Emblem" mood, and to fill that I'd certainly be interested in playing a "finished" version of this game. If all that's missing is the new portraits and audio, I'd definitively be up to play Sanctaea again!

7 hours ago, Ayra said:

If I'm understanding things well, the game is actually completed from a story and mechanics standpoint?

A few years ago, I did play an early version of the game and I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I generally don't play unfinished versions of games since I dislike replaying the same sections over and over. 

Engage being announced does get me back in a "must play Fire Emblem" mood, and to fill that I'd certainly be interested in playing a "finished" version of this game. If all that's missing is the new portraits and audio, I'd definitively be up to play Sanctaea again!

Further updates to the game are currently on hold due to IRL stuff, but yes, the game has indeed been fully playable since February of last year.  I can't remember which version you played last, but hopefully you enjoy this new one.

EDIT: Geez, you played a while ago.  Well, I'm sure revisiting this game should be very interesting for you.