Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio, Fully Playable)

Von Ithipathachai

I feel your idea for the base shop is pretty much perfect; it pushes players to use the on-map shops so it makes for an objective to get, but it doesn't screw them over entirely if they don't use it correctly. 

By the way, since next release is going to be up to chapter 15, do you have any rough ideas of how many chapters the full game will have? It's just idle curiosity, but curiosity nonetheless :) Also, are you going to sell it on completion? Unlike a rom hack, it's legally possible to sell an SRPG Studio game if you own all the assets. The portraits are done in GBA Fire Emblem-style, but they are still your own work. The rest is all default SRPG Studio assets if I'm not mistaken so nothing would prevent you from selling it if you wanted to do so.

Speaking of SRPG Studio assets, comment about stage 5. I genuinely enjoy the default map music quite a bit: it's pretty darn catchy actually. I'm just questioning if its the best fit for chapter 5: it's a pretty grim stage (especially when you visit the villages and see what they have to say) and the super upbeat music feels at odd with it. It's not an uncommon thing in Fire Emblem (6 in particular comes to mind), but I'm wondering if one of the other available music track would not fit better. It's not an important issue at all of course, just thought I'd point it out!

Final question: Are save files generally compatible between versions, or do you need to restart from scratch? If there's little-to-no changes in the first seven chapters, will we probably be able to just continue with update 2.0, or do you need to restart from the beginning? 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I feel your idea for the base shop is pretty much perfect; it pushes players to use the on-map shops so it makes for an objective to get, but it doesn't screw them over entirely if they don't use it correctly. 

By the way, since next release is going to be up to chapter 15, do you have any rough ideas of how many chapters the full game will have? It's just idle curiosity, but curiosity nonetheless :) Also, are you going to sell it on completion? Unlike a rom hack, it's legally possible to sell an SRPG Studio game if you own all the assets. The portraits are done in GBA Fire Emblem-style, but they are still your own work. The rest is all default SRPG Studio assets if I'm not mistaken so nothing would prevent you from selling it if you wanted to do so.

Speaking of SRPG Studio assets, comment about stage 5. I genuinely enjoy the default map music quite a bit: it's pretty darn catchy actually. I'm just questioning if its the best fit for chapter 5: it's a pretty grim stage (especially when you visit the villages and see what they have to say) and the super upbeat music feels at odd with it. It's not an uncommon thing in Fire Emblem (6 in particular comes to mind), but I'm wondering if one of the other available music track would not fit better. It's not an important issue at all of course, just thought I'd point it out!

Final question: Are save files generally compatible between versions, or do you need to restart from scratch? If there's little-to-no changes in the first seven chapters, will we probably be able to just continue with update 2.0, or do you need to restart from the beginning? 

A full playthrough will have 29 playable chapters.  If you add in the interludes (like what was between Chapters 6 and 7) that only have story and no gameplay, as well as the alternate route chapters, that will be 35 in total.

I have no plans to sell the finished game, mainly because it uses edited portraits from the GBA Fire Emblem games and I can't sell a game that has those.  Also, some assets were made by other people (Japanese users) who may or may not be okay with their stuff being used in a commercially released game.

I'll be honest, the only reason Chapter 5 uses that music is because the music changes strictly based on how far into the game you are.  SRPG Studio has 4 sets of default Player/Enemy Phase music.  Chapters 1-8 use the first set, Chapters 9-21 use the second set, Chapters 22-28 use the third set, and Chapter 29 (the final chapter) will use the fourth set.

I have not tested save file compatibility between versions.  For now I would assume there is no compatibility and start over, mainly so you can see changes to earlier chapters you wouldn't catch if you started right where you left off.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

It's there now.  Lots of other people on the /r/SRPGStudio Discord seem to be quite impressed with it.

It's pretty warranted I'd say. I haven't played everything made with SRPG Studio of course, but from what I've seen and played, Sanctaea Chronicles is the best English SRPG Studio game out there in my opinion. 

There's not much more I can personally say about it on the moment though, so I'll be waiting for the next version. Thank you for your time and effort developing this!

Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

I've finished all of v2.0's chapters and am now doing final playtesting.  I'm attempting to playtest Chapter 7 again and for seemingly no reason the game just locks up the moment the first Pegasus Rider reinforcements spawn.

Obviously some of you will know that this didn't happen in previous versions of the game.  I have no clue what's causing it now.  So v2.0 will probably take a little longer to come around than expected.

If enough time passes and I still can't figure out what's wrong, I may have to temporarily remove those reinforcements and maybe restore them in yet another later version.

What a pain in the ass.

That is pretty unfortunate; even if removed, that problem might occur in other places too...

That chapter is super heavy character-wise; is it possible that it passes a threshold? Can you try removing a few units (same amount as the reinforcements) out of curiosity? Not much I can suggest :(

On a positive note... Good job "finishing" version 2! Glad to see the development going surprisingly quickly!

11 minutes ago, Ayra said:

That is pretty unfortunate; even if removed, that problem might occur in other places too...

That chapter is super heavy character-wise; is it possible that it passes a threshold? Can you try removing a few units (same amount as the reinforcements) out of curiosity? Not much I can suggest :(

On a positive note... Good job "finishing" version 2! Glad to see the development going surprisingly quickly!

The maximum amount of characters that can be present on a map is 200, considerably more than the ~75 total that should be present in Chapter 7 at any point.

I may have fixed the problem by making reinforcements spawn one at a time with the Wait for Completion option, but I'll need to do more testing to know for sure.

I had started over my playtest run to verify the problem's been fixed partly to be safe, but also because Fritz got a blank Level Up and Marcela was getting Def-screwed and that made me sad.  :(

I'll try to re-test Chapter 5 when I get home and continue on from there.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Big news, guys!

First off, v2.0 is now available!  It's got 15 of the planned 29 Chapters and a ton of new characters!  (Their Support chains will have to come later, though.)

Second, the project now has its own Discord server that you can join!  It should be the best place for you to keep up with the game's progress and provide feedback now.

Third, and possibly most importantly, FuranSuwa has decided to lend their services and create new halfbody portraits for the game!  It'll probably take a very long time to get this new portrait system implemented, but what I've seen of their work looks highly promising.

So have fun!  Development on the game will likely enter another slow period for now as I concentrate both on school and on coming up with Support chains.

Thanks for the update! Half body portraits sounds great, looking forward to see that!

Finally had the chance to play some of it. I restarted (as suggested) and I'm currently at chapter 10 (the prison). So far, I'm overall pretty darn happy with the game. It's honestly pretty fun!

I skipped the dialog for chapter 1 to 6 though (I hadn't realized there were some changes, and I just now noticed the patch notes), so I can't comment on the dialog changes there. Thanks for the arrow height correction! It's just a silly little thing of course, but it was annoying me to no end. Much better now! Thief changes are good too.

Chapter 6 looks better and thanks for the clarification of objectives (and naming the big building "shop"). Having just the generals makes it look less jarring so I approve the change. Still not my favorite chapter, but it's better now. I did have a bit of weirdness with the enemy AI for the top cavalry group though. They seemingly didn't know if they should go north or south, so one turn they backtracked instead. It happened again once one of them blocked the path; the other two went back the other way for one turn. Not a real problem, just a strange behavior.

Chapter 7 I missed the top right village by one square, I did get the bottom one though. I kept Marcella near the start on a tree to handle the Pegasus knight reinforcements; it turned out not to be a great idea when Cato popped up though... Oops. My fault; the Scout report (good feature) did warn me to keep moving forward.

Chapter 8 marks the start of the hardest part of any Fire Emblem game: the deployment screen and deciding who to use. I decided to settled on my usual "Only women, with exceptions" in the end. I knew I'd shoot myself in the foot (no Omar in particular who is super powerful, and no cavalry), but hey, at least it makes the selection screen slightly less difficult. I still brought Lee for the chests. On my first attempt, the Jake-lookalike died on turn 2 (the monk attacked him two turns and he died); on my second attempt he was still at full health at like turn 5 (monk never went for him) so there's some randomness present.

Overall a decent chapter. Druscilla and Boudica were incredible (great stats, flight and canto makes a powerful combo). For a boat map, there's enough space to move (besides the intential choke points, of course) so it plays well.

Chapter 9 is exceptional. Best chapter in the game in my opinion: it looks good, it's very challenging but still fair, there's a ton of objectives to take care of but none feel unfair. It's my favorite map in the game so far. Thanks for making the reinforcements not same-turn. I did bring Chauster despite my themed run because I feel like just Rosa didn't have enough healing (and I'm used to always use at least two healers). Chaos everywhere, the wagon bait was instrumental and I still needed a restart, but it was super fun. Two thumbs up for this chapter!

Story-wise it did feel a bit questionable though: I feel they went against the current king a bit too fast. Unless the mercenaries are known to be super powerful, it sounds like a really, really bad idea to get two countries against them. Of course once we know that they are part of "legitimate rebels" it makes sense, but they kind of went with it without knowing first. It's no big deal, just that it's the first bit that makes me go "hmm... I'm not sure about this" storywise. It's not a plot hole or anything though, so it can certainly stay as is.

Chapter 10 I'm stuck at the deployment screen: I have two new female units I want to use (Ciceria already covers my lancer need, but I could really use the mage and cavalry), but there's even less deployment slots (just 9!) and bringing Lee seems like a good idea (one thief up, one thief down)... Guess I'll have to actually make a decision on who I'm dropping next time I play; so hard to pick though!

I've seen three supports so far: Chaster-Lee, Chauster-Carol, Carol-Elma. They're fine; nothing incredible but they're fine. I admit that as usual, I pay basically zero attention to keeping pairs together, so it's nice to see that the values are friendly enough for me to view a few. 

So yeah, overall I'm very happy with the game so far. I don't have any major recommendations to give at this point, but in any event I'll give you my thoughts when I finish the rest of it. Again, thanks for the fun game!

6 minutes ago, Ayra said:

Chapter 8 marks the start of the hardest part of any Fire Emblem game: the deployment screen and deciding who to use. I decided to settled on my usual "Only women, with exceptions" in the end. I knew I'd shoot myself in the foot (no Omar in particular who is super powerful, and no cavalry), but hey, at least it makes the selection screen slightly less difficult. I still brought Lee for the chests. On my first attempt, the Jake-lookalike died on turn 2 (the monk attacked him two turns and he died); on my second attempt he was still at full health at like turn 5 (monk never went for him) so there's some randomness present.

Overall a decent chapter. Drusilla and Boudicca were incredible (great stats, flight and canto makes a powerful combo). For a boat map, there's enough space to move (besides the intential choke points, of course) so it plays well.

Chapter 9 is exceptional. Best chapter in the game in my opinion: it looks good, it's very challenging but still fair, there's a ton of objectives to take care of but none feel unfair. It's my favorite map in the game so far. Thanks for making the reinforcements not same-turn. I did bring Chaucer despite my themed run because I feel like just Rosa didn't have enough healing (and I'm used to always use at least two healers). Chaos everywhere, the wagon bait was instrumental and I still needed a restart, but it was super fun. Two thumbs up for this chapter!

Story-wise it did feel a bit questionable though: I feel they went against the current king a bit too fast. Unless the mercenaries are known to be super powerful, it sounds like a really, really bad idea to get two countries against them. Of course once we know that they are part of "legitimate rebels" it makes sense, but they kind of went with it without knowing first. It's no big deal, just that it's the first bit that makes me go "hmm... I'm not sure about this" storywise. It's not a plot hole or anything though, so it can certainly stay as is.

Chapter 10 I'm stuck at the deployment screen: I have two new female units I want to use (Ciceria already covers my lancer need, but I could really use the mage and cavalry), but there's even less deployment slots (just 9!) and bringing Lee seems like a good idea (one thief up, one thief down)... Guess I'll have to actually make a decision on who I'm dropping next time I play; so hard to pick though!

I've seen three supports so far: Chaucer-Lee, Chaucer-Carol, Carol-Elma. They're fine; nothing incredible but they're fine. I admit that as usual, I pay basically zero attention to keeping pairs together, so it's nice to see that the values are friendly enough for me to view a few. 

So yeah, overall I'm very happy with the game so far. I don't have any major recommendations to give at this point, but in any event I'll give you my thoughts when I finish the rest of it. Again, thanks for the fun game!

Oof, yeah, only using female units when possible is really going to screw you over.  If you're doing that, Cami will be your only magic user for a while unless you promote Rosa early.

Balancing the enemies attacking Troy and Josie to ensure that leg of Chapter 8 isn't too luck-based is going to be tricky.  They need to be weak enough to not be able to kill them too quickly, but strong enough to still be threatening.  If both Troy and Josie are still alive by the end of Chapter 8, they'll join you in Chapter 12 as pre-promotes and make it a bit easier.  If only one of them lives, you lose both of them, but you do get a Merit Crest as a solid consolation prize.

I do feel I need to figure out a better way to get Carol's army against Suleiman, but I haven't been able to think of anything good.

Anyway, I'm glad you're liking the game!  Any thoughts about the new Guard Skill on Armored classes?

10 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Oof, yeah, only using female units when possible is really going to screw you over.  If you're doing that, Cami will be your only magic user for a while unless you promote Rosa early.

I'm sure I'll be fine! I've done that for every Fire Emblem game (both official and hacks) and I always managed somehow so I should be fine (although you know better than I do what's upcoming!). It's not an absolute rule either: for example, I don't mind bringing male units like Chauster or Lee when necessary.  I admit it's the first time this will mean a lack of mages though: normally, it means a lack of physical units (especially durable ones). Considering I favor tough female units and how many there are in Sanctaea Chronicles, this is the game for me. 

In both my attempts Josie was in no trouble whatsoever; most of her guards were still alive. Troy was the one in the most danger due to both being farther and having a lot more enemies attacking his group than Josie's. I can attest that keeping units alive long enough while still presenting a challenge is tough though; back at the original Japanese release of SRPG Studio I had made a 1-chapter game as a "demo" for the engine (and translating everything I could in it, since no English version was announced). In that scenario, my #1 problem was getting the savable characters to live long enough. I had to tweak the stats around and give one of them an elixir for it to work well... but my setup was a lot simpler than yours too so that'd make it even harder to get right (probably impossible). Maybe I simply got very unlucky on my first run though.

I'll inform you if I manage to think about potential Suleiman improvements; I think the merchant knowing about the mercenaries following the princess might be a start though. Maybe them having a flag representing her faction or some such.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Guard skill has made any difference so far. I've been using effective weaponry against them most of the time so they still died I don't think mine got saved by it either. It's a good thing to have (especially since by default, being marked as an armor is a 100% negative thing), but it hasn't been significant for me yet.

4 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I'm sure I'll be fine! I've done that for every Fire Emblem game (both official and hacks) and I always managed somehow so I should be fine (although you know better than I do what's upcoming!). It's not an absolute rule either: for example, I don't mind bringing male units like Chauster or Lee when necessary.  I admit it's the first time this will mean a lack of mages though: normally, it means a lack of physical units (especially durable ones). Considering I favor tough female units and how many there are in Sanctaea Chronicles, this is the game for me. 

In both my attempts Josie was in no trouble whatsoever; most of her guards were still alive. Troy was the one in the most danger due to both being farther and having a lot more enemies attacking his group than Josie's. I can attest that keeping units alive long enough while still presenting a challenge is tough though; back at the original Japanese release of SRPG Studio I had made a 1-chapter game as a "demo" for the engine (and translating everything I could in it, since no English version was announced). In that scenario, my #1 problem was getting the savable characters to live long enough. I had to tweak the stats around and give one of them an elixir for it to work well... but my setup was a lot simpler than yours too so that'd make it even harder to get right (probably impossible). Maybe I simply got very unlucky on my first run though.

I'll inform you if I manage to think about potential Suleiman improvements; I think the merchant knowing about the mercenaries following the princess might be a start though. Maybe them having a flag representing her faction or some such.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Guard skill has made any difference so far. I've been using effective weaponry against them most of the time so they still died I don't think mine got saved by it either. It's a good thing to have (especially since by default, being marked as an armor is a 100% negative thing), but it hasn't been significant for me yet.

Some of the enemies near Josie have AI that prioritizes attacking player units so that they can act as obstacles to reaching her and Troy, so maybe it'll help if the enemies that start near Troy prioritized attacking player units as well.

I finished chapters 10 to 12. Here goes!

Chapter 10: Note to self: Check enemy weapons before selecting who to deploy. I picked Dolcinée because I finally had a female cavalry... it didn't turn out to be a great idea considering how an immense amount of enemy units had anti-cavalry weapons. Whelp. The first half of the map was relatively tough: No terrain bonuses anywhere, lots of enemies, open spaces and high damage enemies, coupled with a thief to catch. The second half was a piece of cake: the bottom right side of the map was easier to clear and the bonus exp wasn't too hard to get. The "boss group tracking you down" thing really didn't work for me though: I plopped the new dark mage in the entryway so no enemies could leave and I simply had Fatima leisurely stride to the exit over multiple turns (with a few rescues to save a bit of time, but I didn't think she'd have to exit from all the way where we started so I wasn't ready for a quick exit). Fun for about two thirds of it, but the last third didn't work correctly for me.

Chapter 11: Desert map... At least, no hidden items to find (I think), so there's at least that. For a desert map, it actually wasn't annoying... But to be honest it wasn't too much fun either. It was basically the inverse of the boat map: the units I had to protect were in zero danger whatsoever. Hera and the archer lady were at full hit points, and only one of the generic armors received any damage (it was minor). After maybe turn 3, there was no enemies anywhere close to threaten them for the 9 remaining turns. Cami 1-round the boss when he was still a few turns away from reaching the castle, so no issues there. I did require a Sleep Staff use at one point to save Marcella from death (she was too close to reinforcements I wasn't expecting). Most of my foot infantry just kind of waddled around the middle doing nothing of note; they first were heading to the castle but there was nothing left, went back toward the bottom left when wyvern groups started appearing there and ended up in the end fighting a small piece of the north side reinforcements. Kind of tedious chapter in my opinion and not too interesting.

Storywise, the timeline seems off. Carol's group went: Town -> prison -> desert fight; I'm sure a few days went by here, but... In the same amount of time, Cato got possessed by something, formed the Inquisition, terrorized the population, managed to bring the evil-lord-from-Carol's-story-I-don't-recall-the-name-of into submission, and have that lord's troop march all the way into the desert to attack Hera? 

Chapter 12: Pretty fun on the whole. The thieves were surprisingly easier here to stop than many other stages. I enjoyed this one; no complaints or suggestions to give here. I'm wondering what happens if you clear all the enemies before the amazons spawn though? I had only two enemies remaining on the map when they spawned, and I could have beat them on that turn if I didn't want to shop. Very enjoyable chapter imo.

I did peak at the chapter 13 map, and... uh... first impressions are not great. Visually awful, and it looks like the enemies were randomly vomited on the map every few square. Maybe it will play better than it looks, but... yeah. I'll wait until I actually play it to give out a final judgement though.

Character performance: I know character growth is partially random and some units might be unduly blessed or cursed, but here's some opinions about units that are noteworthy on my playthrough, 

The dark mage seems absolutely borked? I'm not sure of his join stat at level 8, but at level 9 he had 14 defense. On a mage with full 1-2 range access. He literally killed the entire boss room in chapter 10 (including the boss) except for a few archers (he could have beat them by himself easily, but I wanted to save time). Since he's male I benched him after his join chapter, but I probably would have benched him anyway because he seems to be WAY too good unless his growths are awful.

Bouddica, Ciceria and Cami are my star units. Bouddica did get stat booster favoritism(including the wrath + vantage-like scrolls), but she was already great in the first place especially combined with flight + canto. Ciceria is my strongest unit overall: fast, tough, very strong and with decent resistance. Note that she's level 15 and with 15 defense and I consider her to be super tough (just to compare with the level 9 mage with 14...). Cami 1-round absolutely everything and is basically immune to magic; she's not durable to physical hits but besides that she's just incredible.

Speaking of tough unit, Chauster, at level 11, has 16 defense. That's more than anyone in my army. It's strange, especially since the only units I have that are close are Ciceria, and...

Marcella. 14 defense as a level 11 armor knight. Awful resistance, mediocre speed. Decent but not exceptional strength. She's okay at best in battle, but with armor weakness and less movement than everyone else. Awful.

Petricia is faring pretty badly too. She's faster than most unit, but awful everywhere else: with Marcella, she's certainly the worst unit on my team. Claudius is faring better, but veeery slightly only. Carol has no defense to speak of (4 still I think?), but at least she has great offense, evasion and hit point pool so she's still good.

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

I finished chapters 10 to 12. Here goes!

Chapter 10: Note to self: Check enemy weapons before selecting who to deploy. I picked Dolcinée because I finally had a female cavalry... it didn't turn out to be a great idea considering how an immense amount of enemy units had anti-cavalry weapons. Whelp. The first half of the map was relatively tough: No terrain bonuses anywhere, lots of enemies, open spaces and high damage enemies, coupled with a thief to catch. The second half was a piece of cake: the bottom right side of the map was easier to clear and the bonus exp wasn't too hard to get. The "boss group tracking you down" thing really didn't work for me though: I plopped the new dark mage in the entryway so no enemies could leave and I simply had Fatima leisurely stride to the exit over multiple turns (with a few rescues to save a bit of time, but I didn't think she'd have to exit from all the way where we started so I wasn't ready for a quick exit). Fun for about two thirds of it, but the last third didn't work correctly for me.

Chapter 11: Desert map... At least, no hidden items to find (I think), so there's at least that. For a desert map, it actually wasn't annoying... But to be honest it wasn't too much fun either. It was basically the inverse of the boat map: the units I had to protect were in zero danger whatsoever. Hera and the archer lady were at full hit points, and only one of the generic armors received any damage (it was minor). After maybe turn 3, there was no enemies anywhere close to threaten them for the 9 remaining turns. Cami 1-round the boss when he was still a few turns away from reaching the castle, so no issues there. I did require a Sleep Staff use at one point to save Marcella from death (she was too close to reinforcements I wasn't expecting). Most of my foot infantry just kind of waddled around the middle doing nothing of note; they first were heading to the castle but there was nothing left, went back toward the bottom left when wyvern groups started appearing there and ended up in the end fighting a small piece of the north side reinforcements. Kind of tedious chapter in my opinion and not too interesting.

Storywise, the timeline seems off. Carol's group went: Town -> prison -> desert fight; I'm sure a few days went by here, but... In the same amount of time, Cato got possessed by something, formed the Inquisition, terrorized the population, managed to bring the evil-lord-from-Carol's-story-I-don't-recall-the-name-of into submission, and have that lord's troop march all the way into the desert to attack Hera? 

Chapter 12: Pretty fun on the whole. The thieves were surprisingly easier here to stop than many other stages. I enjoyed this one; no complaints or suggestions to give here. I'm wondering what happens if you clear all the enemies before the amazons spawn though? I had only two enemies remaining on the map when they spawned, and I could have beat them on that turn if I didn't want to shop. Very enjoyable chapter imo.

I did peak at the chapter 13 map, and... uh... first impressions are not great. Visually awful, and it looks like the enemies were randomly vomited on the map every few square. Maybe it will play better than it looks, but... yeah. I'll wait until I actually play it to give out a final judgement though.

Character performance: I know character growth is partially random and some units might be unduly blessed or cursed, but here's some opinions about units that are noteworthy on my playthrough, 

The dark mage seems absolutely borked? I'm not sure of his join stat at level 8, but at level 9 he had 14 defense. On a mage with full 1-2 range access. He literally killed the entire boss room in chapter 10 (including the boss) except for a few archers (he could have beat them by himself easily, but I wanted to save time). Since he's male I benched him after his join chapter, but I probably would have benched him anyway because he seems to be WAY too good unless his growths are awful.

Bouddica, Ciceria and Cami are my star units. Bouddica did get stat booster favoritism(including the wrath + vantage-like scrolls), but she was already great in the first place especially combined with flight + canto. Ciceria is my strongest unit overall: fast, tough, very strong and with decent resistance. Note that she's level 15 and with 15 defense and I consider her to be super tough (just to compare with the level 9 mage with 14...). Cami 1-round absolutely everything and is basically immune to magic; she's not durable to physical hits but besides that she's just incredible.

Speaking of tough unit, Chauster, at level 11, has 16 defense. That's more than anyone in my army. It's strange, especially since the only units I have that are close are Ciceria, and...

Marcella. 14 defense as a level 11 armor knight. Awful resistance, mediocre speed. Decent but not exceptional strength. She's okay at best in battle, but with armor weakness and less movement than everyone else. Awful.

Petricia is faring pretty badly too. She's faster than most unit, but awful everywhere else: with Marcella, she's certainly the worst unit on my team. Claudius is faring better, but veeery slightly only. Carol has no defense to speak of (4 still I think?), but at least she has great offense, evasion and hit point pool so she's still good.

• Chapter 10
    • This was the map I expected to hear the worst reception from due to how slow it makes you play with the large amount of anti-Cavalry weapons.  Though I guess it's not too bad if you're keeping your fliers away from the central walls where the Archers can take potshots at them.
  • Chapter 11
    • In practice this chapter mainly has you protecting Fatima.  There should be a Priest trying to put Hera to sleep, but that may not be enough.  I may need to add some more enemy magic users near her that prioritize her.  I thought Shakur would be able to reach Hera and attack her if you took too long to kill him (i.e. you didn't have any magic/Dagger users or fliers deployed), but maybe not.
    • I may also want to lower the duration of the chapter by a couple of turns because honestly it does get boring near the end when you've probably already dealt with all the initial enemies.
    • I didn't think Cato's rapid expansion of Reman control over Ferenca seemed that far-fetched, assuming as I'm sure you did a few days went by here and there, but now that you mention it it does sound a little weird.  Maybe I can just have him and his troops head back to Ferenca instead of back to Rema's royal palace and that could partially fix it.
  • Chapter 12
    • I thought the enemies in this chapter would be strong and numerous enough that it wouldn't be possible to kill them all before the Amazon reinforcements spawned, but perhaps I was wrong here, too.  I may need to add an alternate ending to account for this.
  • Chapter 13
    • This chapter is supposed to be a claustrophobic forest maze with a kind of creepy atmosphere, hence the unusually dark lighting and the torches in the center.  I would've  even used the Forest Temple music from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time here, but again, I'd rather not get C&D'd.
    • Honestly, randomly vomiting enemies all over the place is how I distributed the initial enemies in most of this game's chapters.
  • Units
    • Claudius and Carol may have gotten RNG-screwed if they're doing that badly.  Carol in particular sounds like she got very Def-screwed.  Assuming she's Level 11, she should have 8-9 Def on average.
      • Has WLv been a problem for them?  I'm hoping the super-powerful personal weapons they get at the end of Chapter 17 (which isn't in this version, sorry) will remedy it.
    • Your Marcela also sounds like she was RNG-screwed, which makes me very sad because she's one of my favorite characters.  She should have 17 Def on average at Level 11 and you may need a Dracoshield and/or Power Drop to make up the difference.
    • Petricia is meant to be better against magic users, while Vincenzo is meant to be better against physically-attacking enemies.  This may be a bit of a problem since magic users are not as common.  I wanted to avoid having too many magic-wielding enemies because I want to make Armors more useful.
    • Chaucer, meanwhile, sounds like he got RNG-blessed, especially if you're using him over Rosa in your female units-only run.  Chaucer is supposed to be like Azama in Fire Emblem Fates, having high Def and mediocre Pow.
    • Manzarek is intended to be kind of like a magic-wielding Armor, with excellent Pow and Def but awful Spd and Res and shaky hit rates, too.  I may need to tone down his base Def a little.  :(

33 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Check out FuranSuwa's new halfbody portraits for Claudius and Carol!

dcyjqbm-49a7fa1e-d7c8-4dc0-8839-1781e3fedcyjqcc-b2d3d554-199b-4e73-a56f-cbd319cf

They probably won't see their intended full use yet (I'd need everybody's for that), but they'll still be visible in the next version under Extras!

not bad, looks quite professional as original artworks.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:50 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Check out FuranSuwa's new halfbody portraits for Claudius and Carol!

dcyjqbm-49a7fa1e-d7c8-4dc0-8839-1781e3fedcyjqcc-b2d3d554-199b-4e73-a56f-cbd319cf

They probably won't see their intended full use yet (I'd need everybody's for that), but they'll still be visible in the next version under Extras!

Wow these look amazing. Very impressive!

I haven't gotten to the most recent release but I'll let you know when I do.

On 1/31/2019 at 4:36 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • Chapter 10
    • This was the map I expected to hear the worst reception from due to how slow it makes you play with the large amount of anti-Cavalry weapons.  Though I guess it's not too bad if you're keeping your fliers away from the central walls where the Archers can take potshots at them.
  • Chapter 11
    • In practice this chapter mainly has you protecting Fatima.  There should be a Priest trying to put Hera to sleep, but that may not be enough.  I may need to add some more enemy magic users near her that prioritize her.  I thought Shakur would be able to reach Hera and attack her if you took too long to kill him (i.e. you didn't have any magic/Dagger users or fliers deployed), but maybe not.
    • I may also want to lower the duration of the chapter by a couple of turns because honestly it does get boring near the end when you've probably already dealt with all the initial enemies.
    • I didn't think Cato's rapid expansion of Reman control over Ferenca seemed that far-fetched, assuming as I'm sure you did a few days went by here and there, but now that you mention it it does sound a little weird.  Maybe I can just have him and his troops head back to Ferenca instead of back to Rema's royal palace and that could partially fix it.
  • Chapter 12
    • I thought the enemies in this chapter would be strong and numerous enough that it wouldn't be possible to kill them all before the Amazon reinforcements spawned, but perhaps I was wrong here, too.  I may need to add an alternate ending to account for this.
  • Chapter 13
    • This chapter is supposed to be a claustrophobic forest maze with a kind of creepy atmosphere, hence the unusually dark lighting and the torches in the center.  I would've  even used the Forest Temple music from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time here, but again, I'd rather not get C&D'd.
    • Honestly, randomly vomiting enemies all over the place is how I distributed the initial enemies in most of this game's chapters.
  • Units
    • Claudius and Carol may have gotten RNG-screwed if they're doing that badly.  Carol in particular sounds like she got very Def-screwed.  Assuming she's Level 11, she should have 8-9 Def on average.
      • Has WLv been a problem for them?  I'm hoping the super-powerful personal weapons they get at the end of Chapter 17 (which isn't in this version, sorry) will remedy it.
    • Your Marcela also sounds like she was RNG-screwed, which makes me very sad because she's one of my favorite characters.  She should have 17 Def on average at Level 11 and you may need a Dracoshield and/or Power Drop to make up the difference.
    • Petricia is meant to be better against magic users, while Vincenzo is meant to be better against physically-attacking enemies.  This may be a bit of a problem since magic users are not as common.  I wanted to avoid having too many magic-wielding enemies because I want to make Armors more useful.
    • Chaucer, meanwhile, sounds like he got RNG-blessed, especially if you're using him over Rosa in your female units-only run.  Chaucer is supposed to be like Azama in Fire Emblem Fates, having high Def and mediocre Pow.
    • Manzarek is intended to be kind of like a magic-wielding Armor, with excellent Pow and Def but awful Spd and Res and shaky hit rates, too.  I may need to tone down his base Def a little.  :(

VERY nice portraits! I'm starting to understand Petricia a bit more now... Anyway, that's very professional work: to be 100% honest, I prefer that art style over what we've seen of Three Houses so far.

I didn't get the chance to play more of the game yet, but I can certainly offer a reply :)

- For Chapter 10, I personally didn't find the "going in" aspect to be slow or boring. I don't tend to do "rush strats" though, but at "infantry pace" (plus two pegasus) I thought the map moved quickly enough. The "going out" part was slow and boring though since the central units were a non-factor due to Manzarek. I could have setup rescue chains to make it faster, but I didn't think the dancer would have to exit from the entrance (I thought she would leave via the side exits like the villagers).

- In Chapter 11, a priest did cast sleep on Hera (I think it failed) but it felt irrelevant considering how the few attackers immediately died, and nothing existed to threaten her except for the slow-moving boss. I admit that making it harder to save her is very problematic since it's a desert chapter... it's possible that a player would have lost their flyers by then. It's probably safer to keep it easier like now I guess.

But yeah, chopping two turns off the turn count would probably be a good idea since you "run out of things to do" on the map. I admit that one of the reinforcement wave was a bit tricky (got hit by the southwest wyverns at the same time as the north reinforcements), but overall, it felt too long for its own good. The Cato change would help some I think.

- Chapter 12, I admit I fed a ton of bonus exp to Rosa to get her to 20/1 (made her a shaman since her res was already godlike; all she needed was some defense) which help clear the west side faster. Troy in particular can take care of a lot of the east side by himself (though I had close to half my army with him anyway), and Bouddica went straight up the middle to snipe the archer, then took down the boss via Spirit Spear canto out a few times. I didn't feel I was going amazingly fast though or doing unusual strategies to cut turns, so it's very possible someone who prioritize speed could clear it before the amazon spawn (pretty sure I would have if I didn't want to shop for two turns).

- Units:

Claudius and Carol weapon levels haven't been a problem this time around, even without scrolls. Despite her horrible defense Carol was still pretty handy offensively though, and had enough hit points to survive. Claudius... well, his rapier is still very good, so as long as I don't run out of uses he'll be fine. After that... he's not horrible, just less good than the rest of my army (bar Petricia and Marcella).

That's too bad regarding Marcella! I do like using an armor on my team despite them not being optimal, and I did give her the boots despite knowing it was a mistake. I don't really have stat boosters to give her (Boudicca got many of them), but I'll give Marcella another chance when version 3.0 comes out and hope for better RNG luck :)

I admit I haven't even checked Petricia's res. I did naturally make her go after mages though (since it's the only thing she had strength to hurt), but I admit she fared fine against them with her Kodachi. Cami did that job better though, with her "obliterate absolutely everything" trait and even higher res.

I am using Rosa too on top of Chaucer: I dislike having only one healer in my army, especially since there's multiple occasions when you want to split your army. He's kind of fun personality-wise though, so I don't mind him being part of my female-"only" run by default. I was just shocked at how durable he was: higher defense than anyone in my army, including an armor knight, was just shocking.

Maybe Manzarek isn't as powerful as I thought he was: the boss room in his join chapter is literally 100% physical units after all. I didn't use him past his recruitment chapter, but I felt he was absurdely powerful there. If he completely melts against mages I guess he'd still be balanced.

By the way, aren't Mend staves kind of priced high comparatively? They have 10 less uses, only heal for 5 points more, but cost like three times more?