Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio, Fully Playable)

Von Ithipathachai

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Terashi said:

How do you use bows in this game?  I tried equipping them via the item command but that doesn't seem to do anything.

?????

You automatically equip the equippable weapon in the closest inventory space from the top.

To equip a weapon after a character has moved, click on "Item", then on the weapon you want to equip, then on "Equip".

I plan to write an instruction manual for this game and ship the next version (v3.0) with it.  Hopefully that will clear up some confusion people have been having with certain mechanics.

2 hours ago, Terashi said:

Okayyy, so how do you attack with them?  That was my question.

I should have worded it better, my bad.

Uhh...  Like you attack with Bows in every other Fire Emblem game, except Bows in Sanctaea Chronicles are all 2-3-Range?

Here come the dreaded Thieves!

Thief_present.png?width=710&height=610

Lee_Pres.png?width=723&height=610

Rael_Pres.png?width=723&height=610

Josie_Pres.png?width=723&height=610

(Note: Josie's class here should be given as Rogue (Thief), as she is first seen as a Thief, but is recruited as a pre-promoted Rogue.)

All of the v3 chapters are done and I'm now working on Supports for this new version of the game.  This includes making them all viewable through the new Support Log feature.

I'm also going to be submitting this game to FEE3 again.  Now that I have a better idea of what to expect, I've specified that whoever plays it (ideally Mangs or Mekkah) should show off Chapter 16, including the Base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, EdelgardHresvelgTargaryen said:

are u entering fee3?

Yes.  My last post already said so.

Before I can give Arch a copy of my game I need to finish writing a few more Support chains and test the game at least up to Chapter 16.  v3.0 will use a new weapon balancing scheme that cuts out Mythril and Sterling weapons entirely and makes Slim weapons into uncommon specialty weapons.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Here are the generic Cavaliers!

Cavalier_present.png?width=669&height=57

Remember that Cavaliers in this game come in Sword, Lance, Axe, and Bow varieties.

There are more playable Cavaliers (between these four varieties) than playable units of any other class.  What I'll probably do is go ahead and post the generic Cavaliers and wait until later to post the playable ones.

I'm almost done writing v3.0's Support chains and should start playtesting soon, among other things.

• 4 weeks later...

Small progress update.  I've sent Arch the download link for the FEE3 2019 demo of Sanctaea Chronicles.  Hopefully we'll be able to see it in action.

I'd like either Mekkah or Mangs to play it.  Mangs would get the game some more recognition, while Mekkah already has experience with the game from playing it at last year's FEE3.

As for things that need to be done to make the game ready for release, I need to not only finish testing the new chapters and writing the instruction manual, but also rewrite portions of the story and Support conversations to make the Church of Saint Ariel (including a new playable character named Margaret) more relevant.  This includes making Lee, Chaucer, and Omar people working for the church rather than leading members of a generic Resistance that quickly becomes irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the playable Cavaliers.

Quixana_pres.png?width=685&height=578

Dougall_pres.png?width=685&height=578

Dolcinee_pres.png?width=685&height=578

Ashaki_pres.png?width=685&height=578

I've finally resumed playtesting of individual chapters, having just wrapped up testing for Chapter 17.  Once all chapters are playtested individually I can do one last playtest run of the full game and then v3.0 should be ready for release.

I'm hoping I can release v3.0 on the same day the game gets shown off at this year's FEE3.  If I have some spare time beforehand, maybe I can do some more work on that instruction manual.

• 3 weeks later...

Another progress update.  I've just recorded Sanctaea Chronicles's FEE3 2019 video with Ukulele from FEUniverse.  It was quite entertaining; I got to talk about the game and give him hints as he played through Chapter 16.

I've also been doing the full game playtest for a while now and am on Chapter 16 myself.  There may be a couple more kinks in the boss's AI that I need to work out.  But as videos aren't actually due until the 31st, that should hopefully give me enough time to finish this playtest run and consider the game ready for release.

Chances are I'll just release v3.0 as soon after watching the uploaded FEE3 video as I can, similarly to what I did for v1.0.  I'll just work on the instruction manual as I wait for feedback on v3.0 to roll in.

v3.0 is now available!  It's got 21 of 28 Chapters playable and adds a few new characters!

Your save files for previous versions should technically work with it, but you will likely encounter errors such as now-cut weapons turning into Bronze Swords.  So I would just start a new playthrough if I were you.

A feedback survey has also been added to the OP.  Please consider filling it out when you've finished this version of the game.  Thank you.

This question is already on the feedback survey, but I’d like to go ahead and get an idea of the extent to which people are willing to desire such a major change:

As you may know, this game uses FE1 and 3’s WLv system for weapon proficiency, which I know quite a few people dislike. Indeed, from the outset I wanted to use Weapon Ranks like in most games, but WLv is what SRPG Studio uses by default, and by the time I found the plugins that allow for Weapon Ranks I was almost halfway done and weary of dedicating so much time to redesigning the game back around Weapon Ranks.

I’m more willing now to make the changes for v3.1, but doing so at this point will significantly delay its release as I need to fix/rebalance every single class, weapon, and unit for its inclusion. I’d like to know whether people would rather the game stick to WLv for a faster release or change to Weapon Ranks for a progression system that more people will like.

...You know what? I think I'm gonna just go ahead and switch over to Weapon Ranks for v3.1. Nobody on Serenes Forest or FEUniverse ever gave feedback on two different revisions of the same major release, so I don't think people are going to care that badly if they're playing v3.0 already and are probably going to wait until v4.0 (the full, but not final release) to play the game again.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

...You know what? I think I'm gonna just go ahead and switch over to Weapon Ranks for v3.1. Nobody on Serenes Forest or FEUniverse ever gave feedback on two different revisions of the same major release

Hey man I would have, I'm just waiting for the game to be finished.

I find weapon ranks to be a bit of a chore, but I also haven't played FE1/FE3 and can't speak to the superiority of that system. If weapon level is working out though, I think it's fine to stick with it.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hey man I would have, I'm just waiting for the game to be finished.

I find weapon ranks to be a bit of a chore, but I also haven't played FE1/FE3 and can't speak to the superiority of that system. If weapon level is working out though, I think it's fine to stick with it.

Basically in FE1 and 3 weapon proficiency is measured in a WLv stat that can grow like HP, Str, Skl, etc.  Essentially whether or not you can wield high-level weapons can turn into a matter of luck of the RNG.  But if you wield multiple weapon types, all of those weapon types share the same WLv, meaning for example if you gain Staves on promotion, instead of having to train up a separate Staff rank, you could in theory use any Staff as soon as you promote if your WLv is capped.

I think WLv has its perks (like that it can be increased with Bonus EXP Level Ups whereas WLv can't, and you don't have to grind proficiency for weapon types gained on promotion), but a lot of players seem to hate WLv for being less organic or reliable than traditional Weapon Ranks.

20 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Basically in FE1 and 3 weapon proficiency is measured in a WLv stat that can grow like HP, Str, Skl, etc.  Essentially whether or not you can wield high-level weapons can turn into a matter of luck of the RNG.  But if you wield multiple weapon types, all of those weapon types share the same WLv, meaning for example if you gain Staves on promotion, instead of having to train up a separate Staff rank, you could in theory use any Staff as soon as you promote if your WLv is capped.

I think WLv has its perks (like that it can be increased with Bonus EXP Level Ups whereas WLv can't, and you don't have to grind proficiency for weapon types gained on promotion), but a lot of players seem to hate WLv for being less organic or reliable than traditional Weapon Ranks.

Well, while I still can't say how it would work out in practice, I certainly prefer weapon level conceptually.

"Organic" and "reliable," to me, means "tediously hitting things with an iron sword over and over until I can use an actually cool weapon." Weapon level working for all weapon types sounds like it makes new weapon types gained after promotion a lot more useful.

I prefer the Weapon rank system because it takes the RNG factor out of what weapons a unit can use, as Fire Emblem games are already RNG-heavy. Not many would like how a high-level unit can't use powerful weapons/tomes/staves because of RNG screwage (yes, I know that there are manuals in your game that increase the weapon level stat).

• 4 weeks later...

Geez, it feels like it's been a while.  At any rate, here are the Armors:

Armor_present.png?width=734&height=630

Marcela_Pres.png?width=748&height=631

Bill_Pres.png?width=748&height=631

Palin_Pres.png?width=748&height=631

Work has already begun on reworking the game around Weapon Ranks.  Right now I'm working on fixing classes to abide by them.  Mounted and Armored units in general will suffer from worse Weapon Ranks than Infantry, particularly in their promotions.

• 3 weeks later...

@Von Ithipathachai

How'd you get your Fire Emblem Ascension project get popular

I'm starting to work on my own project it's called Fire Emblem: Song of Oblivion

and I kind of wanted to get some tips from the guy who gave me the inspiration to do it

I Probably should have PM'd this )