Sanctaea Chronicles (SRPG Studio, Fully Playable)

Von Ithipathachai

16 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I've already unwittingly addressed the problem of Boudicca being too difficult for the next version of the game.

Reveal hidden contents

Dougall and Boudicca join your army once Claudius and Carol's armies merge, and she has the exact same stats and inventory as a playable unit that she does as a boss.  She can be very OP in the current version of the game, especially if you decide to pump her full of stat boosters, so I nerfed her by replacing her Spirit Lance with an ordinary Javelin (among other things).  This should make her easier as a boss as well, since she hits Def instead of Res now on top of having less attack power.

What Level are your units?

Spoiler

They're all level 3-5. I've been trying to disperse EXP evenly. I got gimped on Ch.3 because Tito had no issue taking down everyone on the left side before I could even reach them.

I think that maybe I wasn't fast enough in that chapter, but I wasn't expecting him to be over by the blue village by Turn 3~

Other than Boudicca, I've no problems with the chapter. I also got pretty unlucky with Vin missing and Bertus was killing the shaman off to the side. I think I'll try to have Bertus closer next time. I also healed one of the green units (i think the one that triggered Boudicca), so I won't heal him next time. Hopefully they're all K.O.ed before they can reach her next time.

I don't think I'm screwed, but I do have to rely on some luck. The green unit dodging a lot and my units missing their hits on Boudicca despite having 70%+ chance was definitely unlucky for me. I don't think it's a greatly difficult chapter, I was mainly screwed over by RNG each attempt.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:
Spoiler

They're all level 3-5. I've been trying to disperse EXP evenly. I got gimped on Ch.3 because Tito had no issue taking down everyone on the left side before I could even reach them.

I think that maybe I wasn't fast enough in that chapter, but I wasn't expecting him to be over by the blue village by Turn 3~

Spoiler

As long as you can get everyone to at least Level 3 in Chapter 3, you should have enough EXP for Chapter 5, so I've never considered Tito stealing the boss kill to be a problem.  If Ferrum somehow manages to get close enough to Tito, he can rescue him, which will prevent him from stealing any more kills.  Though, Ferrum's main job here should be visiting the red Villages, so that may or may not be feasible.

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Other than Boudicca, I've no problems with the chapter. I also got pretty unlucky with Vin missing and Bertus was killing the shaman off to the side. I think I'll try to have Bertus closer next time. I also healed one of the green units (i think the one that triggered Boudicca), so I won't heal him next time. Hopefully they're all K.O.ed before they can reach her next time.

I don't think I'm screwed, but I do have to rely on some luck. The green unit dodging a lot and my units missing their hits on Boudicca despite having 70%+ chance was definitely unlucky for me. I don't think it's a greatly difficult chapter, I was mainly screwed over by RNG each attempt.

Don't worry about saving the green units, they're pretty much only there to be meat shields, though they do have an annoying habit of stealing kills.  Ciceria and Bertus are definitely good choices for going after Boudicca, since both of them have Hit +10 and Bertus should still do a bit of extra damage to Boudicca despite getting his damage output halved against her.

12 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  Hide contents

As long as you can get everyone to at least Level 3 in Chapter 3, you should have enough EXP for Chapter 5, so I've never considered Tito stealing the boss kill to be a problem.  If Ferrum somehow manages to get close enough to Tito, he can rescue him, which will prevent him from stealing any more kills.  Though, Ferrum's main job here should be visiting the red Villages, so that may or may not be feasible.

Don't worry about saving the green units, they're pretty much only there to be meat shields, though they do have an annoying habit of stealing kills.  Ciceria and Bertus are definitely good choices for going after Boudicca, since both of them have Hit +10 and Bertus should still do a bit of extra damage to Boudicca despite getting his damage output halved against her.

Ok thanks! I'll switch up my strategy and hope there's a better outcome for me.

Here be the Dragon Riders!

DragonRider_present.png?width=553&height

Omar_Pres.png?width=564&height=475

And with that, v3.1 is now available!  No new chapters have been added, but further refinements have been made to the game to enhance the gameplay experience.

Unfortunately, your v3.0 and prior save files will not be compatible with v3.1 due to the new weapon proficiency system.

Dangit. I’m getting reports of Seraph Robes not working. And the game crashing when you beat Chapter 14.

I’m guessing these issues are due to a plugin Lady Rena has been trying to help me with which is supposed to prevent higher than displayed stat gains on promotion after using stat boosters on capped stats. We’ve been struggling with it for a while now and I may just have to simply allow these excess stat gains as a legitimate game mechanic with an explanation of it provided somewhere in-game.

So expect a v3.1.1 later, I guess, which’ll also include some minor rewrites to Chapter 3.

• 2 months later...

Geez.  How long ago has it been?  A few months, huh?  Well, I guess with FEE3 going on, now would be a good time for a progress report.

I'm not going to be showing Sanctaea Chronicles off at FEE3 this year because I don't really have anything new to present that isn't uncomfortably close to endgame.  If you're following the showcase, then please check out Scratchy and Robinco's projects when they get shown off.  Chances are they'll end up more compelling than my own anyway.

Also, ever since the whole Mangs debacle I've been feeling increasingly alienated from the larger Fire Emblem community in addition to the English SRPG Studio community.  Simply put, I feel like I'm running out of things to meaningfully contribute besides my own main project.  Of course, I still intend to complete it so I can proudly say it didn't die prematurely and give the SRPG Studio community some more ammo against the engine's naysayers.

Which brings me to where it is now.  As of writing this I've finished writing all of the story material save for Aetius's Support conversations and completed the maps for the Tirna branch of the route split.  Hopefully the full story will be playable within this year or next provided school and work don't prove too much of a burden.  Furan, for his part, should be resuming work on the halfbody portraits sometime this month after a major work-related meeting.  So look forward to those.

So yeah.  Just something to let you guys know I'm not dead.  With that, I wish you a good day/night and safe travels.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:23 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Also, ever since the whole Mangs debacle I've been feeling increasingly alienated from the larger Fire Emblem community in addition to the English SRPG Studio community.  Simply put, I feel like I'm running out of things to meaningfully contribute besides my own main project.  Of course, I still intend to complete it so I can proudly say it didn't die prematurely and give the SRPG Studio community some more ammo against the engine's naysayers.

i probably have already told you this before, but in any case you shouldn't care too much about people not willing to leave their comfort zone. their loss, not yours.

considering all you've done so far, the time and effort you've put into developing your project, i believe you should just focus on completing it first. after that, you can start thinking about how to promote it and eventually do showcases.

then, time will tell.

2 hours ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

i probably have already told you this before, but in any case you shouldn't care too much about people not willing to leave their comfort zone. their loss, not yours.

To be clear, when I said "Mangs debacle", I was referring to the whole sexual assault scandal involving him and Goosaphone and not his statement of refusal to play SRPG Studio games altogether.

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

To be clear, when I said "Mangs debacle", I was referring to the whole sexual assault scandal involving him and Goosaphone and not his statement of refusal to play SRPG Studio games altogether.

to be honest, it wouldn't be a first. similar stuff happened before with other youtubers such as ProJared as well, yet life goes on.

anyway, take your time with Sanctaea. it's better to work on something when you're actually inspired about it, rather than rushing on things that might backfire later on.

for how i see it, i'd rather wait a while longer for its completion if it means getting a game that could turn out to be quite interesting, but that's just me of course.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figure I might as well put an update here too since I put one on FEUniverse WRT its updated content policy for projects.  All the maps and story content are done, and the only things left to tackle are additional playtesting and other miscellaneous stuff.  Once all that is finished, the game will finally be fully playable.

Of course, it won't be complete until all of FuranSuwa's halfbodies are finished and implemented, but at least you can still experience the whole story.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the Pegasus Riders:

PegasusRider_present.png

Drusilla_Pres.png?width=802&height=676

Boudicca_Pres.png?width=802&height=676

I've also finished writing up a new instruction manual for the game.  With that done, all I need to do is insert these new halfbodies and complete one last full test run and the game will be fully playable, though fully implementing the halfbody system will have to wait for another release.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

17 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I've also finished writing up a new instruction manual for the game.  With that done, all I need to do is insert these new halfbodies and complete one last full test run and the game will be fully playable, though fully implementing the halfbody system will have to wait for another release.

Very exciting. I've been holding off on playing until a "complete" version was released, and once the halfbodies are in, I think that will be the perfect time to try it. Congratulations on getting so far with this game!

4 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Very exciting. I've been holding off on playing until a "complete" version was released, and once the halfbodies are in, I think that will be the perfect time to try it. Congratulations on getting so far with this game!

Well, there are still many more halfbody portraits that need to be finished, and I expect the remaining ones will take another two to three years to finish based on FuranSuwa's need to balance his work on this project with his work on more important IRL stuff.

With this next release, the game will be finished as far as a gameplay experience goes, with the only incomplete aspect being visuals.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Well, there are still many more halfbody portraits that need to be finished, and I expect the remaining ones will take another two to three years to finish based on FuranSuwa's need to balance his work on this project with his work on more important IRL stuff.

I am a patient man. I will wait many years for the best pink suit, and I will wait just as long for the best character portraits.

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I am a patient man. I will wait many years for the best pink suit, and I will wait just as long for the best character portraits.

Whatever floats your boat.

In the meantime, I'll need to think about how I can gradually "roll out" the new halfbody system as work progresses on them.  I'm reluctant to make the jump from GBAFE-style portraits to halfbodies immediately because a relatively small percentage of the necessary portraits have been finished, which would result in many instances of dialogue with characters whose art isn't complete looking something like this:

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, copywright said:

I'm going to download this later and put my thoughts here.

I was just recently playing Vestaria Saga I in Steam, which made me want to even make an SRPG myself.

Any plans to change tilesets?

I would wait until the next release is ready first.  That one will be fully playable and should be ready within about one or two weeks depending on what school has to throw at me.

I'm glad you asked about tilesets!  Right now, the main goal with regards to visual improvement is to get the halfbody portrait system for dialogue implemented once enough of them have been finished.  However, MarkyJoe is leading a community asset project to improve the engine's visuals, which includes new tilesets.  What they've done so far looks promising, and if it covers enough bases I'll readily change to using those instead of the RTP tilesets.

I doubt you're going to need SRPG Studio yourself, since you're set on using Unity, but you're always welcome to check out SRPG Studio University and see what the gang there is cooking up: https://discord.gg/GcTS5EH

Hey, everyone.  I'm proud to announce that v4.0 of Sanctaea Chronicles has finally been released.  With this release, the game is now fully playable from beginning to end.

Now, before you get too excited, I still need to make it clear that the game's presentation is still being worked on, and will continue to be that way for some time.  Future releases will gradually phase in the halfbody portrait system I've been teasing for a while now, among other things, until they're all fully implemented.  But for those of you who'd rather not wait any longer to experience the full story, you don't have to anymore.

I hope you enjoy the game.  Also, don't forget to check out the new instruction manual and revamped character popularity poll, which now allows you to select multiple characters at once and leave more detailed comments.

So apparently some minor issues like the Thief in Chapter 1 not being able to ransack Rosa's house and a typo in Fatima's unit description managed to slip through the cracks.  I'll probably do a small bugfix release or something once I hear back from people I already know are playing the game.

In the meantime, I've seen fit to add a "planned additions" section to the OP to further clarify that while the game is fully playable, my work on it still isn't quite finished.

good to see your project finally completed storywise.

by the way, after giving a look at the instruction manual, i noticed this:

6rQKLX4W-EqQx2qUbtCKNi_YSkuRnmHhzGJYOo6uHbxBaje7SfHi0Czm9NRv4VYNHvne1j0-_wcxtpsqRlWgk2p-qEAVv6RCtqtcPqaI8iiGqSUF5449aq5i3GrgrQ1-Pg1ccLAs

i was wondering if you had any other placeholder available for the title screen, because that purple one is...well, honestly it's not really good.

if you have any idea/concept on your mind, i can eventually give you a hand with that.

[edit] actually...i went ahead and made some examples on my own:

Spoiler

SC-BG-01.jpg

SC-BG-02.jpg

in any case, if you want to make things the "professional" way, you could also ask your artist to come up with something later on about the game's logo and eventually another title background too.

Edited by 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ

3 hours ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

good to see your project finally completed storywise.

by the way, after giving a look at the instruction manual, i noticed this:

6rQKLX4W-EqQx2qUbtCKNi_YSkuRnmHhzGJYOo6uHbxBaje7SfHi0Czm9NRv4VYNHvne1j0-_wcxtpsqRlWgk2p-qEAVv6RCtqtcPqaI8iiGqSUF5449aq5i3GrgrQ1-Pg1ccLAs

i was wondering if you had any other placeholder available for the title screen, because that purple one is...well, honestly it's not really good.

if you have any idea/concept on your mind, i can eventually give you a hand with that.

[edit] actually...i went ahead and made some examples on my own:

Hide contents

SC-BG-01.jpg

SC-BG-02.jpg

in any case, if you want to make things the "professional" way, you could also ask your artist to come up with something later on about the game's logo and eventually another title background too.

These title screens are nice.  For me the main issue with the title screen situation is that I don't really have a good idea of what I want out of it.  That said, this bottom one should at least make a good interim title screen until Furan or I can come up with something better.  Expect it to be used for the next bugfix release.