Tips for FE3 specifically

Spectraman

Hey guys, so I am starting FE3 because I want to play some of the old school games, I just have a couple of questions.

What are the rules regarding promoting in Book 1 and Book 2. Do you promote early because max stats are twenty or just max lvl a character to 20 and then promote?

Also, do prepromotes get the same experience gains as normal unpromoted units?

Just to let you know, these questions are for both Book 1 and Book 2.

I would recommend promoting ASAP because max stats are 20. Also, prepromos get the same exp as non-promoted units because enemies give out a fixed exp amount when defeated.

Also of note, you need the five orbs to get the true ending. You also need to take Sirius, Julian, Merric and Minerva to the endgame (which is a multi-part chapter).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Despite only getting halfway through book one before my computer deleted my emulator save files, I can give some advice:

• Serenes Forest has a walkthrough of both books, and it's pretty good.
  • Keep Shiida/Ceada/whatever her name is alive, as she is responsible for recruiting a good chunk of the cast.
  • Speaking of recruiting, use a guide or the Serenes Forest website. Characters only speak when they are attacking, so you may not know if a character is recruit-able until it's too late.
  • There is no weapon triangle. Expect you and your enemies to have pretty even hit rates.
  • There are several differences between unit effectiveness between books. Characters that are great in one book may be bad or average in another, and vice versa.
  • Speaking of which, Book 1 is a remake of the first game, with a few characters and chapters missing.
  • Weapon weight only really matters for cavaliers and other units with middling speed. Just give knights your stronger weapons and call it a day. Likewise, mercenaries will double most enemies, so you can also let them use heavier weapons without much worry.
  • The game has one of the better handlings of permdeath in the series. Don't feel the need to reset after every death. You can let a few deaths slide without it affecting much.

23 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also of note, you need the five orbs to get the true ending. You also need to take Sirius, Julian, Merric and Minerva to the endgame (which is a multi-part chapter).

Addendum: This is only a concern in Book 2, in Book 1 you just need to concern yourself with getting the Star and Light Orbs, and even then it's more that ultimately endgame will just be more difficult without fulfilling that requirement.  Story clues should be enough for you to figure out the rest.  Also, it shouldn't be too difficult to use those units, the only stragglers might be Julian and Merric since they're comparatively low level and akin to a leaf of paper in terms of defense.

Another thing to note is that levels and the like do not transfer if you beat Book 1 and choose to use that save to go on to Book 2.  The option to continue is just to bring transfer you to the next story more quickly than if you reset the console and made a new save.

Aside from what Shadow said, any units that are mounted and have reached 20's in some stats should dismount before they gain more levels.  Their stats lower a certain amount when they dismount, and the dismounted stats can be brought to 20 (and kept as such) as long as they level as dismounted knights.  Don't worry about them switching to swords, weapon leveling is just one big stat instead of separate weapon ranks like most FE games, and most weapons can be used at weapon level 10 anyway.

And yes, promoted units get the same experience gains; you could be level 19 promoted and still get the same EXP gains for killing bandits as an unpromoted level 1 unit would.  Though you still shouldn't rely on Jeigan or Aran very much because any levels they gain will be garbage.  But feel free to use Sirius as much as you want, he's OP and only becomes moreso through levels.  Same with every pegasus knight not named Est (sorry, gal).  And Ogma.  And Feena's a better combatant than she has any right to be.

One more thing, certain items help growth rates.  You can look up more information here, but read at your own discretion.  Aside from that, just have fun.

In Book 2, to get the real ending, you must collect ALL the shards, spheres, and save the priestesses that were kidnapped. So you have to use specific units like Julian, Sirius, and so on. Not that that is an issue...in FE12. However in 3, Dismount exists and dismount was made by satan

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

My best advice would be win.

V E r Y  g ü D   A D v i C e .

WB2ffNm.png

Good joke, tho

2 minutes ago, Kazuya said:

However in 3, Dismount exists and dismount was made by satan

It is kind of realistic though.  Infantry aren't as powerful as cavalry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And mounted units kinda need to be better balanced in general.  But that's a discussion for another thread.

One other piece of advice I have is that most ballistae don't actually have effectiveness against fliers like they do in other games; only Arrowspates (or Quick Rain) and Hoistflamme (or Fire Guns) will deal effective damage against them.  This knowledge may make the wooden cavalry less of a pain in the arse to deal with.

2 hours ago, Kazuya said:

In Book 2, to get the real ending, you must collect ALL the shards, spheres, and save the priestesses that were kidnapped. So you have to use specific units like Julian, Sirius, and so on. Not that that is an issue...in FE12. However in 3, Dismount exists and dismount was made by satan

The four units needed are decent at worst, so I fail to see the problem. Also, if you want to whine about dismounting, this is the wrong game to be doing so...

3 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Its not really bad in this game as compared to dismount in FE5, which, from what I've heard, really puts axe and lance cavs at a disadvantage in indoor maps.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

6 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Its not really bad in this game as compared to dismount in FE5, which, from what I've heard, really puts axe and lance cavs at a disadvantage in indoor maps.

Yep, your best bet are guys like Carrion, Dean and Fergus out of your horse units.

It's a shame, I would have used Hicks in the endgame otherwise just because I had him cap so many stats. A big problem as a result is that Lances are utterly worthless in the last three chapters like in MotE unless you trained one of the knights and there's less of a reason to do that here as their lance ranks are just.... bad. They're both base E rank in a game where weapon ranks are so slow to level. This has to be dealt with in a remake, it could be a possible dealbreaker for me.

10 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Due to the absence of the weapon triangle, dismounting isn't as bad as it is in games like FE5. Indeed, it's not so much a "bad" as much as it's just "there".

Granted, it is nice to have a Pegasus rider be able to fight in range of a archer without worrying about effective damage at the cost of not having their signature mobility, but that's really the only time I can think of the mechanic being interesting. By the time the first indoor map comes along, you should have enough infantry units that you can simply bring all of them in no problem.

48 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Yep, your best bet are guys like Carrion, Dean and Fergus out of your horse units.

It's a shame, I would have used Hicks in the endgame otherwise just because I had him cap so many stats. A big problem as a result is that Lances are utterly worthless in the last three chapters like in MotE unless you trained one of the knights and there's less of a reason to do that here as their lance ranks are just.... bad. They're both base E rank in a game where weapon ranks are so slow to level. This has to be dealt with in a remake, it could be a possible dealbreaker for me.

Yeah, a remake should really fix the whole dismount issue. e.g. lance cavs who dismount still can use lances like the soldier class.

Or just get rid of the entire thing.

Since no one's mentioned Star Orbs and Star Orb shards yet, I guess I'll do so:

The Star Orb in Book 1 & 2 increases all of the holder's growths by 30% and prevents their weapon's durability from decreasing (Dragonstones are an exception to this in FE3, unfortunately). You'll likely want to take full advantage of both of these bonuses once you get the Star Orb. You may even want to trade the Star Orb to whichever character is going to level up next.

Star Orb Shards in Book 2 (eg: Taurus, Libra, etc.) boost certain growths of the holder by varying amounts, but may also decrease the growth rates of other stats. The overall growth change that a shard will make will always be positive, though. Here's the chart if you're interested. In order to optimize the stat gains obtained from level ups, you'll likely want to put a bunch of Star Orb Shards on your MVPs while levelling them up. You will need to get all 12 Star Orb Shards if you want to get good ending of FE3 Book 2.

Keep in mind, though, FE3 is an easy enough game (especially for an FE veteran like yourself) even without using the Star Orb and the Star Orb Shards in the manner I explained above. But I thought I should at least mention the bonuses it gives, so you'll at least have those bonuses at your disposal.

keep in mind that after reaching lv10 with a character, going further while doing arenas becomes pretty much hard and almost impossible due to rng always throwing at you overpowered enemies you can't normally defeat.

if we consider also stats-boosting consumable, there's really no need to farm arenas past lv10, except maybe for Marth or other special units, if you really need them to hit lv20 earlier since they can't promote anyway.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, Killgore5253 said:

Book 2: Ogma, Navarre, Every pegasus sister (Maybe except Est), Siriuis, Merric, and Linda are must use.

I would also put Phina in that list. I'd recommend leveling her up for dancer shenanigans (Hardin is quaking)