Ideas and models for a what if: "Fire Emblem 64"

Killgore5253

Hello everyone.  As you may have seen from my other thread, I work on an ocarina of time project.  In recent events of me learning and modeling NPCs for that project, it had made me remember my ideas I had for an FE5 Hack.  Fire Emblem 5 is my favorite Fire Emblem and every since I have played it, I had wanted to make a rom hack for it.  I had an idea similar to, I think Arch made it I am not sure, Elibean Nights.  It would have been called "Thracian Nights." (Very not stealing I know.)   Fast forward to forgetting about that and modding OoT for 2 years, I have came to remember my ideas for an FE5 hack and my brain had a flood of ideas go to it.  Some of which I had articulated into a 3D Model and let me show you all (Please note some are more done than others and I do plan to go back and finish the others and I am not a very good texture artist, so sometimes I make due with what I have.)

Spoiler

5bab032d508be_CosmicDragon.thumb.png.2af93dd4f64b9ff811b3ca6b8e587f11.png

Cosmic Dragon

Spoiler

5bab02dc00ccf_NobleLink.thumb.jpg.055e2897f8b2e64e406b107e4e32b3d8.jpg

Emble: My version of Link as a Noble fitted for Fire Emblem

Spoiler

5bab01d099edc_MagicLady.thumb.png.1ba26ed35f23a4f90348ca72d84ebe4c.png

Witch Lady:  I still don't have a name for her yet.  She is based off of 1 character from Fire Emblem 5 and Edea from Final Fantasy 8.

Spoiler

5bab012c956d1_Fergus3.thumb.jpg.4a9977dfea256b4837b27d548f7dbad2.jpg

Fergus!  Based off of and named after the FE5 character but with a little twist of my own.  To the right of him is a basic Iron Sword and a sheath for it.

• 1 month later...

If you need assistance with the modeling, texturing or rigging of your models, I can probably help you with the assets. Out of curiosity, what softwares are you using? I'm looking forward to what you're up to- cheers, bud.

I currently use Sketchup.  Which cannot animate, UV properly, nor rig.  I plan to learn a program like Blender or Maya to learn how to do that kind of stuff.  Right now, I am focusing on the world for my OoT Project.  But after that, I will pursue my take of a Fire Emblem game with an N64 look. 

10 hours ago, Killgore5253 said:

I currently use Sketchup.  Which cannot animate, UV properly, nor rig.  I plan to learn a program like Blender or Maya to learn how to do that kind of stuff.  Right now, I am focusing on the world for my OoT Project.  But after that, I will pursue my take of a Fire Emblem game with an N64 look. 

Since the principles are the same, the learning curve is roughly the same for both of them. Knowing the basics of modeling means you roughly know both- good topology, etc. Blender is free and open source, has tons and tutorials and a thriving community, and it can do most of the things Maya can, so I'm told.

Each have their different set of tools and plugins to take into account. Arnold is Maya's rendering powerhouse. Unfold 3D plugin can help you get a clean job with uvs fast. And Nucleus is just great dynamic simulation engine for cloth, hair, effects, you name it. It might come as obvious I only know Maya, and trust me as a beginner I thought its UI all over the place, but it's a mini-studio all by itself. Still, I'd start with Blender and choose later.

If you're also a student it's possible to freely install Maya, Mudbox (sculpting & texturing) for a period of 3 years. A few other compagnies do that too, like Foundry's 1 year for Mari (3D painting), Nuke (compositing) and Modo (modeling). 

Simpler than that, you can export your uvs and paint over them with softwares like of Photoshop: good uvs is usually the most important part, no matter the SW you're using. How you cut and organize your shells along with managing texture resolution and the like...  What I mean is, in no way do you need to pay subscriptions for fancy stuff, especially for passion projects. PaintCube, Sculptris, Blender, search a bit and you'll find what you need. Cheers!

I got Blender and Maya on my computer, I just dont know how to use them X).  I haven't tried learning them yet mostly because my time is constrained right now and I am just trying to make progress on my current work before learning new software.  Thanks very much for the info though!

38 minutes ago, Killgore5253 said:

I got Blender and Maya on my computer, I just dont know how to use them X).  I haven't tried learning them yet mostly because my time is constrained right now and I am just trying to make progress on my current work before learning new software.  Thanks very much for the info though!

No problem. If you decide to try them and need a few pointers, feel free to ask.