Mugen is cool and all but...

Francie

What if someone made a mugen style fire emblem game, think along the line of samurai showdown but with the different characters in the series.

I can't code for poop so i'm never gonna make it, but its nice to think about these type of things every now and then.

wp2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I thought something along the lines of Soul Calibur, but the 2D graphics might be more appropriate.

I'd be easier to animate i'm assuming, since most MUGEN uses pixel art and all that.

3 hours ago, Francie said:

I'd be easier to animate i'm assuming, since most MUGEN uses pixel art and all that.

Ehh, not really...

2D animation is actually a bit trickier than 3D animation.  3D animation is easier because you can make the model move without making an entirely new model from scratch thanks to 3D skeletons, while 2D animation doesn't really have that except for in stuff like FEH that make the limbs and weapons move individually (though that would hardly suffice for a fighting game).  In most cases, you have to make entirely new sprites frame by frame, and for a good quality video game you need to have 60 frames for every second of animation.  Or 30 FPS would be the lowest standard for an indie game before people start getting frustrated by the jankiness of the animation.

It's partly why in spite of people's general preference for 2D animation in FE games, they keep doing 3D animation for the actual fights.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Ehh, not really...

2D animation is actually a bit trickier than 3D animation.  3D animation is easier because you can make the model move without making an entirely new model from scratch thanks to 3D skeletons, while 2D animation doesn't really have that except for in stuff like FEH that make the limbs and weapons move individually (though that would hardly suffice for a fighting game).  In most cases, you have to make entirely new sprites frame by frame, and for a good quality video game you need to have 60 frames for every second of animation.  Or 30 FPS would be the lowest standard for an indie game before people start getting frustrated by the jankiness of the animation.

It's partly why in spite of people's general preference for 2D animation in FE games, they keep doing 3D animation for the actual fights.

A fighting game at anything less than 60 frames isn't a fighting game, so yeah that would be problematic to our theoretical MUGEN game.

It's not like they have 60 unique frames per second

Skeletal animation isn't really the best for fighting games or fighting-esque games but it's possible if there's enough time and care put into it (not FEH-esque basic animation)

and as for 3D animation, it's easier in some ways sure but 2D is also easier in some ways, it really depends on the project's wants/needs

anyway, a little kid once made a crappy little collection of FE characters for Mugen, but it was just that. crappy (awful by modern non-fan-work standards) and it used the GBAFE pixel art (with some edits), an actual fighting game with full sprites (like with BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle or such) would be cool but given that it'd almost definitely focus on just Marth and Awakening/Fates characters ala Warriors if it was made or supervised by IS, I'm personally not too excited by the idea

(that's just me though, I like to see variety in my games, I'd be upset if it were all FE8 characters, all sword-users, etc. too)