Cirosan

[FE5] Project Exile - Thracia 776 Script and Menu Translation - FULLY COMPLETE AND RELEASED!

PE_Logo_60.png.603281827dd6aa3a24178fdfcbaa9994.png

Project Exile
A Complete Thracia 776 Menu and Script Translation

Thracia 776 has long been the FE community's white whale, but not anymore. Project Exile is a full translation patch which affects all chapters, all menus, all items, all epilogues, the intro and outro crawl, the world map, and much more. It makes Thracia 776 playable in its entirety, and was created using the remnants of Kirb's patch as a foundation and merging Zane's menu translation with it (as well as receiving considerable technical advice from him).

In addition, the script has been written from scratch, using a new translation done by myself. In the spirit of transparency, and to help disseminate this new translation more quickly, you can view complete PDFs of my translation here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aj36m6wh82be3dx/AADqxV-pZOVxn2-GA3OxPbUPa?dl=0

Project Exile represents a grand collaboration between many people from across the world, none of whom have ever met in person. Our translation team consisted of people from throughout the United States, France, and Austria, who all pooled their expertise and talents to make this patch a reality. We hope you enjoy this patch as much as we enjoyed making it!

Without further ado, download links follow below, as well as contact info and the Discord server the patch is being coordinated out of.

Download here

PE Discord for updates, help, and FE talk
Mirror on RHDN

PDFs of the script

Screenshot gallery

Installation:

PLEASE NOTE: If you would prefer a video guide telling you how to patch the ROM, Mekkah has one prepared: https://youtu.be/dRfWIuuE2dY

1. Obtain an unmodified, cartridge ROM of Thracia 776. I cannot help you do this. Your ROM should have the following checksum values:
File MD5      C3FD1CAD754256D7A013864D917F47FA
File SHA-1    75B504921D08E313FF58150E40121AC701884517
File CRC32    FC519952
If you don't know what that means, this tool can help you: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/

2. Extract your unmodified ROM, flips.exe, and ProjectExile104.bps to the same folder.

3. Open flips.exe.

4. Click the "Apply Patch" button.

5. Select ProjectExile104.bps.

6. Select your unmodified Thracia ROM.

7. Choose a filename for the new, patched ROM. This is the ROM you'll use to play Project Exile. Its checksums should now be equal to:
ROM MD5       EEDD67FDD73A5F6D761DA46B9421EFDF        
ROM SHA-1     1BB7267A4B291EB107E18C7B69BB8131AD387DDF
ROM CRC32     17F75FD7     

IMPORTANT: If you receive an error message, it's because you tried to patch the wrong ROM. Make sure your ROM's checksum values are equal to those provided above.

IMPORTANT: Not all emulators are compatible with Project Exile, because the ROM has been expanded. It will work with Snes9x and bsnes without any additional effort on your part. PE is also compatible with the ZSNES 8MB custom build.

IMPORTANT: If this is your first time playing Thracia 776, I HIGHLY recommend using the Unit Ordering Patch found in the Optional folder.

Further Updates, Discord, and Contact Info:

This patch is coordinated out of a Discord server. To keep up to date with the newest developments, join the Discord here: https://discordapp.com/invite/cVRt5CM

Known issues:
- In the shop menu, certain characters of description text will temporarily remain on screen after moving the cursor to another item
- The Sound Room is not yet translated

fe5trans093.png.e919a970fdcc4a6888f69b86a71d198b.pngordering_noheader000.png.922f2f68e8782ad976a3d4d2a3d87d1c.pngwPSrP72.png.e6e68ba51a955910472d9aba8cac5030.pngKUBBcJh.png.d9b23a3e7465983a1eea7c79d6c7ab4a.png

LtFApQP.png.071ef05f6726d4a9ee5166ac5ba288a7.pngZhV7VR2.png.baede24ca4781eae5d9f74f86b9a7f54.pngfe5trans081.png.bad5d267602c9e5f6b3e0cf9ebdb2a0b.pngfe5trans079.png.3f8ce9c143315b676b748df5b7a30bb3.png

To preempt some additional questions:

"What's your stance on names from Heroes content?"

If it's in mainline Heroes content OR was in Awakening, I'll use it. Names from Heroes supersede names from Awakening (so "Loptous" in favor of "Loptyr", for instance). However, this has one exception: names that were ONLY in the CYL poll for Heroes will be ignored. If this sounds arbitrary, that's because it is. Joking aside, though, with names like "Carrion" it's easy to get the impression that the CYL list was probably a rush job and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

"What's your stance on Project Naga?"

To be clear, I and my team have absolutely no involvement in Project Naga whatsoever. However, to avoid confusion, since most players will be coming from Project Naga's FE4, any names that were used in PN will be used here as well, provided they aren't contradicted by Heroes material (so retaining location names such as "Connaught" over "Conote", for instance). PN was how I was exposed to FE4 to begin with, and I think BoH and the PN team did a stellar job, so this is the least I can do.

Thanks and Acknowledgments:

Script Translation, Localization, and Text Insertion by Cirosan
Based on a patch architecture first developed by Kirb
Incorporating Zane's FE5 menu translation
ROM expansion by Kirb and dn

Project Lead:
Cirosan

Lead Script Editor:
Miacis

Lead Playtester:
KrashBoomBang

Lead Programmers:
HidoranBlaze
Ando

Lead Graphic Designer:
Ando

World Map Editing:
Ando
Robert of Normandy

Title Screen Design:
EnDavio

"The Ballad of Yied" written by:
Sam Heitzer

Additional Script Editors:
Bartz
KrashBoomBang
NitroAssassin524
Shale
ShikiLoveShikiLife

Additional Playtesting:
Ves

Additional Programming:
Cirosan
Miacis

Additional Graphic Design:
EnDavio
Miacis

Lead Script Editors Emeritus:
Alan Smithee
Shale

Special Thanks:
DDS
FireLizard
Kirb
Mekkah
Shaya
Zane
And everyone else who helped make this project a reality.

Both Kirb and Zane have continued to provide me with technical advice, and I'd like to stress that this patch would not have been possible without them.
This patch would not be possible without the ROM expansion performed by Kirb and dn, and I wish to thank them again.

Have fun!
- Ciro

Edited by Cirosan
Updated links

33 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

Project Exile
(yet another) Thracia 776 Menu and Script Translation

Thracia 776 has long been the FE community's white whale. Between Shaya, Kirb, and Unified Thracia, we've seen anywhere between three and five attempts at translating this game, depending on which ones you count - all of them incomplete. Project Exile is my own attempt to finally put this English patch to bed, using the remnants of Kirb's patch as a foundation and taking the menu translation (and considerable technical advice) from Zane.

The script uses a new translation, done by myself. In the spirit of transparency, and to help disseminate this new translation more quickly, you can view complete PDFs of my translation below. As you would expect, I've translated a few names differently from how many people might know them, but any changes were made for the sake of clarity.

Without further ado, download links follow below, as well as contact info and the Discord server the patch is being coordinated out of.

Download here
Mirror

PDFs of the script

Screenshot gallery

Installation:

1. Obtain an unmodified, unheadered ROM (the ROM version, not the NP version) of Thracia 776. I cannot help you do this. Your ROM's MD5 checksum should be equal to: 2A33F6F4D8070426C60BECE6E7F1409B. If you don't know what that means, this website can help you: http://onlinemd5.com/

2. Extract your unmodified ROM, LunarIPS.exe, and ProjectExile092718.ips to the same folder.

3. Open LunarIPS.exe.

4. Click the "Apply IPS Patch" button.

5. Select ProjectExile092718.ips.

6. Select your unmodified Thracia ROM.

7. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 6, is the patched ROM you should now use. Its MD5 checksum should now be equal to: F9248F372320C5694246C325914C2DE6

Known issues:
- Individual reactions to Leif dying in the game over dialogue are not yet translated (Finn's response, Eyvel's response, etc.)
- In the shop menu, certain characters of description text will temporarily remain on screen after moving the cursor to another item
- Win text for the Arena is not yet translated
- The "Objective" text for the status screen is not yet implemented
- Current description for staves do not say "Weight" before their weight value; it's just a number with no preceding label
- Text on the world map has not yet been updated to reflect the translation
- Other minor text headers have slight visual errors

To preempt some additional questions:

"What's your stance on names from Heroes content?"

If it's in mainline Heroes content OR was in Awakening, I'll use it. Names from Heroes supercede names from Awakening (so "Loptous" in favor of "Loptyr", for instance). However, this has one exception: names that were ONLY in the CYL poll for Heroes will be ignored. If this sounds arbitrary, that's because it is. Joking aside, though, with names like "Carrion" it's easy to get the impression that the CYL list was probably a rush job and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

"What's your stance on Project Naga?"

To be clear, I and my team have absolutely no involvement in Project Naga whatsoever. However, to avoid confusion, since most players will be coming from Project Naga's FE4, any names that were used in PN will be used here as well, provided they aren't contradicted by Heroes material (so retaining location names such as "Connaught" over "Conote", for instance). PN was how I was exposed to FE4 to begin with, and I think BoH and the PN team did a stellar job, so this is the least I can do.

"How can I help?"

There are two areas I need help with, first and foremost:

Firstly, this English script takes up considerably more size than the original Japanese text, and we're running out of space in the ROM somewhat quickly. Both PN and Unified Thracia expanded the ROM, and would welcome advice from anyone associated with either of those projects regarding how to best manage memory.

Secondly, precise editing of the world map has yet to be done, and location names are still untranslated ("Conote", etc.). If you have expertise with this area and believe you can help, see the Discord info below.

Thanks and Acknowledgments

Script Translation and Text Insertion by Cirosan
Based on a patch architecture first developed by Kirb
Incorporating Zane's FE5 menu translation

Script Editors:
Hero of Five Emblems
Shaleblade

Lead Playtester:
KrashBoomBang

Both Kirb and Zane have continued to provide me with technical advice, and I'd like to stress that this patch would not have been possible without them.

Further Updates, Discord, and Contact Info:

This patch is coordinated out of a Discord server generously maintained by Xylophone. To keep up to date with the newest developments, and to volunteer for helping with the patch, you can join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/f7Qtrpu

Hi, when translating to English, do you review the Japanese text to stay faithful or just use reference from other games for adapting ?

For example:

エーヴェルという女剣士 and 屈強の男たちが武装し近隣 are not Fiana Freeblades, but フィアナ義勇軍 is.

And no one knows Nanna is Finn's adopted daughter at the start of the game.

Shouldn't ノディオン王国 and レンスター王国 be translated as Kingdom rather than House?

I am impressed and excited to see more! I enjoy the creative liberties you have taken with the script so far. Too many patches are bland and boring to read. I will take your creative writing over that any day.

Great work! You might give me a reason to play Thracia again!!!

Edited by Tenders

As someone who has played with your hacks before (however big or small they might have been), I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this translation will be handled.  The script looks nifty so far.

An update is now available in the OP. The script is now complete through chapter 11, and numerous other small bugs have been fixed. The scripts for the three new chapters (9, 10, and 11) are also now available in the .zip archive in the OP.

Oh yeah boy, let's go, this MUST be the one, please be the translation we need, there have been so many that entered this obscure area, and none returned, this gotta be the one, if not, i will lose all hope, and if it is the case and this gets finished, this will enter in the history of FE fan works dedication alongside the translation of FE4, good luck mate, this is a difficult job, but you can make it, i believe in you!

5 hours ago, Cirosan said:

An update is now available in the OP. The script is now complete through chapter 11, and numerous other small bugs have been fixed. The scripts for the three new chapters (9, 10, and 11) are also now available in the .zip archive in the OP.

So you ignored my comment.

18 hours ago, Red Leaf said:

Oh yeah boy, let's go, this MUST be the one, please be the translation we need, there have been so many that entered this obscure area, and none returned, this gotta be the one, if not, i will lose all hope, and if it is the case and this gets finished, this will enter in the history of FE fan works dedication alongside the translation of FE4, good luck mate, this is a difficult job, but you can make it, i believe in you!

Agreed. The "inescapable room" in chapter 24x is like a metaphor for 4/5ths of the 776 Translation Project attempts I've seen on this site: suddenly disappearing without a trace.

The only complete translation missing from my life currently is for Thracia 776. Looks promising, this can become something amazing.

An update is now available in the OP. Four new chapters have been translated, making the script complete through chapter 13. Notably, this means that the game is now over halfway translated (18/35 chapters)! To keep things consistent with how the patch has progressed, I've also gone through all previous scripts and revised them accordingly. Finally, the scripts for the four new chapters (11x, 12, 12x, and 13) are also now available in the .zip archive in the OP.

Is there a patreon or Ko-Fi I can donate to, Cirosan? I've been waiting for almost a decade-and-a-half for this to come out in English and you've been giving the most steady and tangible results so far.

OMG good job guys with the progress.

I have a question, do you think this translation/menu patch will be done by spring break? Thracia 776 is the only fe game i have left to play and I really want to enjoy it with the new menu and translated script. Do you think with the work that has been done, will it be complete by spring break or maybe sometime in april?

Does it need to be LunarIPS specifically? I have my own patching software since I use a mac, but all the roms I've tried to patch with this have wound up either with the nintendo logo never showing and the game staying on black forever, or in one instance the game loaded, but then glitched out into some missingno-looking screen-covering graphical glitches the second I tried to move a unit.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:13 PM, Kysafen said:

Is there a patreon or Ko-Fi I can donate to, Cirosan? I've been waiting for almost a decade-and-a-half for this to come out in English and you've been giving the most steady and tangible results so far.

Much as I would like to accept, getting donations involved (especially on a Nintendo property) is the surest way to get C&D'd, so I'm afraid I can't.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:06 AM, Spectraman said:

OMG good job guys with the progress.

I have a question, do you think this translation/menu patch will be done by spring break? Thracia 776 is the only fe game i have left to play and I really want to enjoy it with the new menu and translated script. Do you think with the work that has been done, will it be complete by spring break or maybe sometime in april?

My goal is to be done by the end of April/sometime in early May, so that depends on when your break is.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Does it need to be LunarIPS specifically? I have my own patching software since I use a mac, but all the roms I've tried to patch with this have wound up either with the nintendo logo never showing and the game staying on black forever, or in one instance the game loaded, but then glitched out into some missingno-looking screen-covering graphical glitches the second I tried to move a unit.

Would it help if I included an xdelta version of the patch in the next release? Is that supported on Mac? In fact, what patching software is supported by Mac?

41 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

Would it help if I included an xdelta version of the patch in the next release? Is that supported on Mac? In fact, what patching software is supported by Mac?

I use Multipatch.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/746/

That’s worked well enough for me for everything but this, so I haven’t done any thorough searches for any others.

I barely peruse Serenes' boards nowadays, mainly lurking from time to time to check news, romhacks and fantranslations... 

BUT I HAD TO LOG IN just to post here. This project seems really promising! :o:

Even more so than ChimeraHardline's [FE5] "Unified Thracia" prototype: Menu and script translation through Ch. 3 project since he seems to have disappeared after April... :huh:

Good work so far, this was the last Fire Emblem I didn't play all those years since there was only a crappy lackluster patch available. I also tried to romhack it but it was such a mess to find the correct pointers and whatnot just to make the menu to work I gave up after a week lol :lol:

First of all, thank you for actually working on this project I remember the last translation patch I played only went up to chapter 6 or so and that was ages ago. That being said, I'm having some weird issues with the patch itself - the intro and the initial menu screen run fine and and are working perfectly but when I actually start playing the first chapter it becomes a mess of pixels for some reason. I tried removing the header on all three of the versions of the game I have but it all produces the same result.

Edited by sidd