Cirosan

[FE5] Project Exile - Thracia 776 Script and Menu Translation - FULLY COMPLETE AND RELEASED!

On 4/1/2019 at 6:21 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is perfectly compatible with OpenEmu, right? Just checking.

It should be. We have a few users on the server who play it on OpenEmu, I believe.

If it doesn't seem to work for you, just come on the server for a bit, and we'll have some people help you figure it out.

Edited by Miacis

On 28/9/2018 at 5:27 AM, Cirosan said:

Project Exile
(yet another) Thracia 776 Menu and Script Translation

Thracia 776 has long been the FE community's white whale. Project Exile is my own attempt to finally put this English patch to bed, using the remnants of Kirb's patch as a foundation and taking the menu translation (and considerable technical advice) from Zane.

The script uses a new translation, done by myself. In the spirit of transparency, and to help disseminate this new translation more quickly, you can view complete PDFs of my translation below. As you would expect, I've translated a few names differently from how many people might know them, but any changes were made for the sake of clarity.

Without further ado, download links follow below, as well as contact info and the Discord server the patch is being coordinated out of.

Download here

PDFs of the script

Screenshot gallery

Installation:

1. Obtain an unmodified, cartridge ROM of Thracia 776. I cannot help you do this. Your ROM's CRC32 checksum should be equal to: FC519952
If you don't know what that means, this tool can help you: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/

2. Extract your unmodified ROM, LunarIPS.exe, and ProjectExile032719.ips to the same folder.

3. Open LunarIPS.exe.

4. Click the "Apply IPS Patch" button.

5. Select ProjectExile032719.ips.

6. Select your unmodified Thracia ROM.

7. Your previously unmodified file, which you selected in step 6, is the patched ROM you should now use. Its CRC32 checksum should now be equal to: 3175A6D6

Known issues:
- Text on the world map has not yet been updated to reflect the translation, nor has the title screen been altered
- In the shop menu, certain characters of description text will temporarily remain on screen after moving the cursor to another item
- Win text for the Arena is not yet translated
- The "Pick Units" header in the Deploy menu contains a minor error

To preempt some additional questions:

"What's your stance on names from Heroes content?"

If it's in mainline Heroes content OR was in Awakening, I'll use it. Names from Heroes supersede names from Awakening (so "Loptous" in favor of "Loptyr", for instance). However, this has one exception: names that were ONLY in the CYL poll for Heroes will be ignored. If this sounds arbitrary, that's because it is. Joking aside, though, with names like "Carrion" it's easy to get the impression that the CYL list was probably a rush job and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

"What's your stance on Project Naga?"

To be clear, I and my team have absolutely no involvement in Project Naga whatsoever. However, to avoid confusion, since most players will be coming from Project Naga's FE4, any names that were used in PN will be used here as well, provided they aren't contradicted by Heroes material (so retaining location names such as "Connaught" over "Conote", for instance). PN was how I was exposed to FE4 to begin with, and I think BoH and the PN team did a stellar job, so this is the least I can do.

"How can I help?"

There are two areas I need help with, first and foremost:

Firstly, the menu font could be altered to be more legible and technically flexible - currently, the number of unique character strings it can display is limited, unlike the dialogue font. If you have experience with SNES fonts and would like to help, please see the Discord info below.

Secondly, precise editing of the world map has yet to be done, and location names are still untranslated ("Conote", etc.). If you have expertise with this area and believe you can help, see the Discord info below.

Credits and Acknowledgments

Script Translation, Localization, and Text Insertion by Cirosan
Based on a patch architecture first developed by Kirb
Incorporating Zane's FE5 menu translation
ROM expansion by Kirb and dn

Project Lead:
Cirosan

Lead Script Editor:
Miacis

Lead Playtester:
KrashBoomBang

Additional Programming:
Miacis
Ando
HidoranBlaze

Additional Script Editors:
KrashBoomBang
Shaleblade
Bartz
ShikiLoveShikiLife
NitroAssassin524

Discord Administrator:
Xylonphone

Lead Script Editors Emeritus:
Alan Smithee
Shaleblade

Both Kirb and Zane have continued to provide me with technical advice, and I'd like to stress that this patch would not have been possible without them.
This patch would not be possible without the ROM expansion performed by Kirb and dn, and I wish to thank them again.

Further Updates, Discord, and Contact Info:

This patch is coordinated out of a Discord server generously maintained by Xylonphone (Discord tag: Xylon73). To keep up to date with the newest developments, and to volunteer for helping with the patch, you can join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/aDCnGVu

Have fun!
- Ciro

Hi is this still alive or is it dead?? I wanted to ask: can I use your translation on a project I have??

Hi, I'm just about to finish FE4 and am looking forward to starting Thracia pretty much immediately after, likely starting before the whole project is finished. What will I need to do to start playing with the most recent patch and then updating to a new patch when released? Could I just apply the patch to the same ROM or will I need to download a new ROM and then open my save on it? Thank you for doing this btw. It'll be so handy for me and many others, so it is greatly appreciated :)

10 hours ago, axelloid said:

Hi is this still alive or is it dead?? I wanted to ask: can I use your translation on a project I have??

...A week ago, I posted an update that completed 30/35 of the game's chapters. This should be obvious, but yes, it's still alive.

What exactly do you want to use my translation for? What's the project? I need to know more before I can answer.

8 hours ago, Lucario21 said:

Hi, I'm just about to finish FE4 and am looking forward to starting Thracia pretty much immediately after, likely starting before the whole project is finished. What will I need to do to start playing with the most recent patch and then updating to a new patch when released? Could I just apply the patch to the same ROM or will I need to download a new ROM and then open my save on it? Thank you for doing this btw. It'll be so handy for me and many others, so it is greatly appreciated :)

When the next update is released, don't patch your old ROM - you'll need to patch a fresh, unaltered ROM. Other than that, your save file will carry over perfectly as long as it still has the same filename as the ROM. All saves are perfectly compatible with each new update.

11 hours ago, Cirosan said:

What exactly do you want to use my translation for? What's the project? I need to know more before I can answer.

The project is a GBA remake of FE4 and FE5 that takes FE5 inside of FE4 as part of it (maybe) as a optional start of 2nd generation, and mixing the levels from both games in the parts that they occurred in parallel and also to re-balance all stats from weapons, classes, characters, etc,

4 hours ago, axelloid said:

The project is a GBA remake of FE4 and FE5 that takes FE5 inside of FE4 as part of it (maybe) as a optional start of 2nd generation, and mixing the levels from both games in the parts that they occurred in parallel and also to re-balance all stats from weapons, classes, characters, etc,

That sounds like a very ambitious project that would take a long, long time. How about this: when you have a proof of concept - by which I mean a few working chapters and most of the mechanics/commands are functioning - come back and ask me again. However, until I get a better look at what exactly your project would be, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it use my translation. Just use placeholder dialogue until your proof of concept is done; you'll save time.

2 hours ago, Cirosan said:

That sounds like a very ambitious project that would take a long, long time. How about this: when you have a proof of concept - by which I mean a few working chapters and most of the mechanics/commands are functioning - come back and ask me again. However, until I get a better look at what exactly your project would be, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it use my translation. Just use placeholder dialogue until your proof of concept is done; you'll save time.

Sounds fair... I'll get to it. Yes it is very ambicious, but not that difficult, is just sooooooo much to re-do and make fit with the GBA parameters and improvements in what the saga means. See you in a few months xD

I got a question.  A stupid one, but I'm pretty new when it comes to patches.

You have 30 of the 35 chapters completed.  But once you get a later patch out, will it be compatible with the save I have if I decide to go with the current patch of your game?

Also, out of curiosity, how long does it take to go through a chapter?

8 hours ago, Teach said:

I got a question.  A stupid one, but I'm pretty new when it comes to patches.

You have 30 of the 35 chapters completed.  But once you get a later patch out, will it be compatible with the save I have if I decide to go with the current patch of your game?

Also, out of curiosity, how long does it take to go through a chapter?

Yes. You'll have to patch a fresh ROM, but you can copy your save file over just fine.

The time it takes to go through a chapter varies, but all I have left currently is the script for Endgame and the Epilogues.

Amazing!  You're doing God's work here.  I can't wait to give it a play once you've finished!  I'm quite eager to see how I fare in Thracia 776.

I can sort of remember when the only Thracia translation a long time ago had "In America!" in it. How far we have come since then.

I really appreciate all of your hard work on this game. I've been itching to play it for a long time now, and seeing the project get so close to completion is nothing short of amazing. Thank you!

On 4/20/2019 at 7:55 PM, Cirosan said:

Yes. You'll have to patch a fresh ROM, but you can copy your save file over just fine.

The time it takes to go through a chapter varies, but all I have left currently is the script for Endgame and the Epilogues.

Hey Cirosansince its a week away from being a month since your last comment/update I was just curious on hows progress so far?

10 hours ago, Blizzagan said:

Hey Cirosansince its a week away from being a month since your last comment/update I was just curious on hows progress so far?

Script insertion is complete, and the game's dialogue, closing text crawl, and character epilogues are now fully translated (you can see the scripts in the discord server, by the way). However, I've agreed to briefly delay releasing so our hacking team can complete additional technical elements, like implementing a new menu font that's much easier to read, inserting a new, edited world map, and a few other things. The finished Project Exile patch will be released by or before the end of this month.

In the future, the discord server is the easiest way to stay updated on the patch, but I do try to check the SF and FEU threads every few days.

Oh, and since I'm all too aware of the Thracia Curse and how people tend to vanish, I've already sent copies of the script-complete patch to several key team members, with instructions that if I suddenly fall off the face of the Earth, they are to release it. Maybe that's a little paranoid, but you can't be too careful once you get this close to the finish line.

So since I have so many backups in place, the short version is: be patient, because it won't be much longer. Millennium approaches.

Edited by Cirosan

So Thracia's translation is a translation equivalent of the Macbeth curse? It's good to see that there's not been much of that affliction here at least.

I can't wait to see the finished product, good luck to Project Exile's finale!

Darned and good! Now I really need to finish up the last four fights of FE12 so I'll be free to start Thracia as soon as it's finished. But first comes completing a fanfict wherein a certain Thracia character has a supporting role.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 hours ago, Cirosan said:

Script insertion is complete, and the game's dialogue, closing text crawl, and character epilogues are now fully translated (you can see the scripts in the discord server, by the way). However, I've agreed to briefly delay releasing so our hacking team can complete additional technical elements, like implementing a new menu font that's much easier to read, inserting a new, edited world map, and a few other things. The finished Project Exile patch will be released by or before the end of this month.

In the future, the discord server is the easiest way to stay updated on the patch, but I do try to check the SF and FEU threads every few days.

Oh, and since I'm all too aware of the Thracia Curse and how people tend to vanish, I've already sent copies of the script-complete patch to several key team members, with instructions that if I suddenly fall off the face of the Earth, they are to release it. Maybe that's a little paranoid, but you can't be too careful once you get this close to the finish line.

So since I have so many backups in place, the short version is: be patient, because it won't be much longer. Millennium approaches.

As much as it sucks that Donate=C&D, I really wish there was something I could do.

No, seriously. You've done an unprecedented service for everyone here, and I don't want to just sit idly by and not give some sort of compensation for the hundreds (if not thousands) of hours you've put to this beyond a "thank you".

Thracia 776 is my favorite game in the series, bar none. It has nostalgia value, and I could write essay after essay on how it inverts the Fire Emblem tropes, how it provides interesting and varied objectives to a degree and consistency that no Fire Emblem game has ever done since, and how fun it is to beef up your characters in Paragon mode with Crusader Scroll abuse.

I beat it first in late 2011, and I loved Shaya's work on the story dialogue, but the menus made it nigh-unplayable for anyone that didn't have a tab of https://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/ open on their PC (or in my case, my crappy PSP web browser).

Now, fans worldwide, who have invested themselves in the series, are able to finally play the game, complete with all of its warts and 99% max hitrate, and how broken Marita is when you give her Astra and Luna/Sol, and how annoying it is when an enemy reinforcement comes up at the beginning of the enemy phase and totally fucks up your strategy for the whole chapter and you have to restart it all over again, and the music, and the insanely obscure way of getting Dean's Dragon Lance, or Linoan's promotion. Thracia 776 is pure joy for me- a jaded, bitter, disillusioned 20-something guy that spews out bile on the internet- and now, that joy can be spread and enjoyed by basically every English-speaking person around.

I can't thank you enough for the efforts you've put forth into this. 

Edited by Kysafen

Thank you. Very rarely do people take the time to post messages of sincere gratitude.

I thought I'd post some screenshots from Endgame, the credits, and the epilogues, as a sneak preview.

The title screen was made by EnDavio, and inserted by HidoranBlaze, one of our superstar hacking duo. Since it looked similar to Unified Thracia's title screen, I did ask about its source, and as I understand it, EnDavio made it from scratch, but used a similar font. Note how the lowercase "a"s are slightly different and the shade of red is marginally darker.

fe5trans042.png

fe5trans051.png

fe5trans043.png

fe5trans044.png

fe5trans045.png

Dude I'm really excited for this game.  I really was looking forward to playing this game.  One with an actual readable menu.  Thank you so much.  Finish up and finish strong!  You're almost there!

I recently finished FE4 for the first time, and stumbled upon this. I made an account to be able to tell you how much I appreciate all the hard work you've done on this. Thank you, keep it up!

Holy shit, it's happening, the curse will finally die, the legend of a translated Thracia 776 fully playable and functional is finally upon us, and as a bonus Mangs will be doing a let's play with Mekkkkkkkkqkkkka,(if he keeps his promise) this will be interesting, absolute amazing job for everyone involved with this game's translation, i'm sure it wasn't easy, but i really do hope that it was something you all can look at and be proud of, thank you for your job with this project, just hope to play it as soon as possible, but no rushing of course, we have waited very long already, a bit more will not hurt that's for sure.

I would really like to say thank you guys so much for all the work you've done. Finally being able to play Thracia 776 with a proper translation (once its released) is gonna be on one of the greatest thing to happen to this year. I really wish I could have helped in some way but I'm not experienced at all with rom hacking. & especially thanks to Cirosan for organizing all of this. Y'all doing gods work, can't wait for the release. 

All I can say is wow. I've never been a fan of Thracia 776 but I think the old fan translation patch was a part of the reason why I didn't enjoy it as much. Looking forward to being able to play this game with the new updated patch that you guys have worked hard to complete. Gonna try to put this on my SNES mini when the patch comes out.