Cirosan

[FE5] Project Exile - Thracia 776 Script and Menu Translation - FULLY COMPLETE AND RELEASED!

1 hour ago, CappnRob said:

You know what the patch doesn't do? Make the game any easier. Tell you that Leif and friends are gonna be BTFO'd at the end of chapter 3 and you should manage your gear first. Tell you when EP reinforcements are coming. Tell you that the bishop is gonna swipe that meteor unless you GO FAST. Tell you that enemies can capture your guys and steal their shit. Tell you that enemies will trade with each other. Tell you about Pursuit Critical Coeffecients, tell you about the 25% hard cap on initial attack crit rates, and basically 95% of all the shit Thracia is infamous for if you're familiar with it.

Amen!

The game is still very hard- or at least is to me.

The Scrolls have barely done anything to affect the difficulty. My success has been luck, a little savestating, and a super-good Leif (with 2 Move procs, Asbel has 3 and Orsin 1). Even if you have an idea of what to do, this game is really really tight on the challenge, particularly if you don't want deaths or most/all rewards to be obtained.

Maybe the Scrolls will make things easier later, but because they boost growths, their impact isn't so felt earlier.

Looking over your notes on the parts of the translation I've played up to so far, I can see how a line or two might be questionable nitpicks (in other words- not serious criticisms). The Thracia-Kempf parallel in Chapter 10 could be one. Though I myself do like parallelism. And I can't deny liking a few more liberal localizations- the BK's reason for survival in RD of course being one of them. Adding the Sothe and Micaiah Lekain mention at 4-P's end was another good localization move from RD.

For reason of hornets hairs and moldy onions and apple eaters, I don't think adding the Kempf "I have swords older than the prince" line is bad. As long as it isn't done too much and keeps to the person's character, and Kempf is a petty bravado baddy, that is fine for me. As long as you don't do something like an infamous FFIV's fan translation, where Golbez, a quiet and serious Darth Vader-esque personality in Japan, becomes incredulously sarcastic in English- that utterly betrays the character's spirit. The village dialogue being punched up (just no memes or politics or pop culture references here) is funny and elegant too- it's otherwise completely forgettable.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I just ordered a new PC to have the opportunity to (re)play this. 

FE5 is already a splendid game, but understanding the plot and dialogue would be even more awesome. 

Naga's FE4 translation was superb, so I have high expectations. 

Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the incredible work you’ve put in to bring us this translation. Can’t wait to play it as soon as I finish Genealogy!

1 hour ago, Syndixel said:

Anyway, Nickdos is never going to be satsified so I say just ignore him.

don't ignore him, report him. like or dislike the patch, dude's just being a shitbag and he was already warned for his attitude in this thread about this topic lmao

EDIT: so as not to be read wrongly - you guys have actually been absolute dolls about reporting people who are just being salty manchildren in this thread. i've been pretty proud.

Edited by Integrity

Ignore the edgey pre-teen. As somebody who's seen an LP of Thracia before but barely remembers anything (What I remembered boils down to capture enemies for their loot, fatigue for anyone not named Leif, warp tiles exist, that one of the archers has lol worthy strength and mind boggling magic for some weird reason, and Pugi Pugi Pugi), the translation is pretty great. I don't feel like I'm having anything spoiled for me, nor does anything feel out of place. Clearly not revealing too much as I'm still sitting here staring down a bishop with a meteor tome trying to decide if I can try to rush him or if I'm most likely looking at a restart of the chapter. Appreciate the growth rates on the scroll as pointed out: anybody who's savvy enough to find that there's an English translation either already knows what the scrolls do or is just going to look it up. 

The fan-translation scene has come such a long way since the 90s and people still don't know that a proper translation involves localization. Making a 1:1 Japanese-English script just results in awkward sentences and I very much appreciate some liberties taken with the dialogue to ensure that the characters' personalities shine through and, you know, don't read like robots. Anyone remember Suikoden 1 and 2 and its scripts? Very much that.

As for the script now hinting the player about upcoming game mechanics and displaying info about the scrolls, I can see why people would be a bit skeptical about that but Thracia 776 is a game long-since rumoured to have been designed to sell strategy guides by suckerpunching clueless players. Omitting critical information to the player is never a wise design choice and I'm glad that part of the game has now been brought up to snuff with the rest that it offers. Besides... you were all going to use a walkthrough online and don't even attempt lying about the fact.

After the considerable criticism surrounding it, lead editor Miacis has revised the intro to 24x in accordance with the views expressed by the thread. View footage of the new chapter intro below.

59 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

After the considerable criticism surrounding it, lead editor Miacis has revised the intro to 24x in accordance with the views expressed by the thread. View footage of the new chapter intro below.

Absolutely stellar revision. Where can I download this update?

On one hand, my issues with Thracia are tied to gameplay, and no amount of localization is going to fix those.

But on the other hand, this patch intrigues me.  I appreciate the notes and whatnot!

So

Guess who just found out that when an enemy unit captures your healer, they can take their heal staff?

1 hour ago, TheNiddo said:

So

Guess who just found out that when an enemy unit captures your healer, they can take their heal staff?

They can also take Lockpicks from thieves and pretty much everything else barring personal weapons I think, including Scrolls. Although I think you can steal (and capture) personal stuff from enemies.

That is going to be important for me, because I just realized Warp is A rank, and I've a chapter coming up where I'll need to steal preserve a personal I'll probably never use, plus very useful Sleep. The problem is Saphy is only B Staffs, and I've realized I need to field Nanna in my current chapter, and that I'm only two chapters from the one I need Warp for. If I fatigue Nanna here (0 fatigue presently; Safiya will be given a chance to rest), then I won't have a healer for the next fight- unless I prematurely promote Asbel. I might do that, I was holding off until his Thunder hit D, but then I noticed only E and A matter for Thunder magic, and there is no way he's getting to A. Thus I could promote him here, but then I mustn't fatigue him (he doesn't have any right now thankfully having skipped the last fight) here, and I want his combat for this battle.

...I kinda like having to think strategically.🤔 Thracia is recreational stress, but it's fun. Thanks for the translation that makes this possible.

Though I'll shut up. This isn't the topic for Thracia 776 gameplay help. I was considering making one in the appropriate forum, but wasn't sure if anyone would want it.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Though I'll shut up. This isn't the topic for Thracia 776 gameplay help. I was considering making one in the appropriate forum, but wasn't sure if anyone would want it.

given as the patch is fresh, such a thread would probably actually be appreciated by a lot of people

If a unit gets captured the enemy will take EVERYTHING from them except maybe personal rank weapons yep. Fortunately you can counter-capture them (easy since they're being statted down from their own captured unit) and take your shit back. Fun times!

19 hours ago, Cirosan said:

I will now break down for you all the "hints" that were added, in total:

Six. Six things. Six things in a game filled with secrets and tricks and all sorts of things for you to discover. We only added warnings for the most egregious things, things which players often complained was detracting from their enjoyment of the game, and did so in a way that conforms to the original text's style and narrative. If these six things are so much of a deal-breaker for you that you'd prefer to wait for a patch which has not yet even officially started, nor has a finalized script, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah I think I'll wait. Just feel 'improvements' should be confined to their own separate rom hacks. And the video is kind of in poor taste IMO, even if the guy was acting like a jackass. Sorry if I sound unreasonable, I'll refrain from further comments.

1 hour ago, DukeBox said:

Yeah I think I'll wait. Just feel 'improvements' should be confined to their own separate rom hacks. And the video is kind of in poor taste IMO, even if the guy was acting like a jackass. Sorry if I sound unreasonable, I'll refrain from further comments.

You're refusing to download the first competent AND completed FE5 fan translation ever because of four improvements to wording (which are most definitely within the scope of a new translation, unless you like finding that you've lost all the units you brought to the last chapter except Leif because the game lied to you about how escaping works), one in-dialogue hint that you should bring a specific character to a certain chapter (which is not only something that other Fire Emblem games do, but that FE5 ITSELF does with Sarah and 24x), and an in-dialogue warning about one of the worst chapter gimmicks ever conceived (a vague indication of where the tiles are that still doesn't remove the trial and error, but does at least reassure players that most of the map is safe). You're no Nickdos, far from it, but this doesn't sound like the most valid of reasons to avoid something.

Edited by ThroningErmine8

2 hours ago, DukeBox said:

I didn't intend for this video to be posted in thread, as this was meant to be shared in a few Discord chatrooms I'm in, but then I fucked up and made it more public than intended. I'm sorry. For what it's worth, this is tongue-in-cheek, and I don't resent anybody here for their criticism (except the one really rude person).

I understand your point of view and respect your choice to not play our patch. Unfortunately, we cannot take your suggestion. Most everyone we've had the chance to interact with, in chatrooms, social media, or streams have been extremely positive about the accessibility improvements we've added. Sorry to say, but you're a minority opinion, there.
Confining them to their own separate patches is indeed something that could be done. However, considering the amount of trouble people seem to have with applying our patch in the first place, making them stack patches seems like it would cause trouble for a large portion of our audience, way more trouble than these accessibility details are causing for a small minority. It's just not something we really can afford to do.

I do find it a bit strange to prefer deploying considerable efforts (like learning Japanese, or dealing with Shaya's unfinished patch) over mentally blocking the (fairly minimal) parts of the script and UI that bother you, though. Don't let that deter you from learning new languages, of course, but this just seems like strange priorities?

Edited by Miacis

5 minutes ago, Miacis said:

Confining them to their own separate patches is indeed something that could be done. However, considering the amount of trouble people seem to have with applying our patch in the first place, making them stack patches seems like it would cause trouble for a large portion of our audience, may more trouble than these accessibility details are causing for a small minority. It's just not something we really can afford to do.

Since it's in the minority, the theoretical optional patch should be to remove the accessibility changes, not add them in. If people want to make the game harder on themselves, they should be prepared for the patching process to be harder, too. You could even be cheeky about it and not explain how to apply the accessibility removal patch in true vanilla FE5 fashion.

And no worries about the joke video. I might have an opinion, but I also have a sense of humor. I'm actually kind of happy to see my ramblings immortalized. Cheers. :P:

A good patch with all the menu translations and everything gets released.

People still bitch.

I'm just gonna play through this one.  I haven't waited nearly as long as most of you...but I was really looking forward to this patch.  So I'm gonna play through it.

Sadly though due to "reasons" (which I'll explain later) I'll be playing though slowly.  I just reached chapter 3.

P.S.: I know that liberties were taken here as far as dialogue.  And I'm glad for helpful hints every so often.  And I know that not everyone will agree on this matter, but the simple fact is, translation is an art, not a science.

Edited by Teach

2 hours ago, Teach said:

A good patch with all the menu translations and everything gets released.

People still bitch.

I'm just gonna play through this one.  I haven't waited nearly as long as most of you...but I was really looking forward to this patch.  So I'm gonna play through it.

Sadly though due to "reasons" (which I'll explain later) I'll be playing though slowly.  I just reached chapter 3.

P.S.: I know that liberties were taken here as far as dialogue.  And I'm glad for helpful hints every so often.  And I know that not everyone will agree on this matter, but the simple fact is, translation is an art, not a science.

Everything is art, not science.