Cirosan

[FE5] Project Exile - Thracia 776 Script and Menu Translation - FULLY COMPLETE AND RELEASED!

Nice project,I'm certain the team put a ton of effort and passion into it in order for as many people as possible to enjoy this game they love but I personally can't help but be disappointed.

As it stands,as a player who wants to experience Thracia as genuinely as possible without having to put the time investment into learning a foreign language,the years old patch with broken ass menus and Yugioh abridged memes is legitimately the better alternative,and that's just baffling.

I'm sure you have had a ton of input from different people but I'd say the average person who's interested in playing an obscure SNES SRPG from the late 90s would vastly prefer a "simple translation" as you put it,to a localization that takes a ton of creative liberties in order to make the game more accessible and more in tune with modern video games.People who want to play this know what they're getting into;is having unexplained mechanics and hidden,deadly traps bad design? maybe,but they're still part of the original game's design and changing those elements is not only disingenuous as it's going to skew the perception of the player on what the game was like (as fan made patches generally do not meddle with these design choices and players will assume they were part of the original experience) but also feels like it's a lack of respect for the original work,especially in parts where the thought process for the changes appears to be "huh this enemy bandit has uninteresting dialogue,I'll just ad-lib some made up verbose fluff to improve the world building or something".

Overall I think there's just a big disconnect in what this project wants to do and what a lot of players wanted it to be.

Edited by Gocciole

3 minutes ago, Gocciole said:

I'm sure you have had a ton of input from different people but I'd say the average person who's interested in playing an obscure SNES SRPG from the late 90s would vastly prefer a "simple translation" as you put it,to a localization that takes a ton of creative liberties in order to make the game more accessible and more in tune with modern video games.People who want to play this know what they're getting into;is having unexplained mechanics and hidden,deadly traps bad design? maybe,but they're still part of the original game's design and changing those elements is not only disingenuous as it's going to skew the perception of the player on what the game was like (as fan made patches generally do not meddle with these design choices and players will assume they were part of the original experience) but also feels like it's a lack of respect for the original work,especially in parts where the thought process for the changes appears to be "huh this enemy bandit has uninteresting dialogue,I'll just ad-lib some made up verbose fluff because to improve the world building or something".

Overall I think there's just a big disconnect in what this project wants to do and what a lot of players wanted it to be.

You're vastly overblowing what this patch does in terms of creative liberties. It does change a few things here and there and spruces up the dialogue in some areas, but it is nowhere NEAR close to what other people have done. Do you know how many fan-patches make shit up on the spot or just change dialogue for the fun of it? Kain calling Rosa a whore in FFIV (that whole translation is a damn mess, along with VI's SNES fan-translation); Kempf with the "In America!" line; that whole "fucks like a tiger" ordeal in Tales of Phantasia and so many other examples. Hell, this patch pales in comparison to what official localizations have also done. Point is, the changes made aren't a lot in the grand scheme of things, even in the realm of fan-translations and you're probably talking out of sheer ignorance.

Overall, I think there's a big disconnect between what you want and you think everyone else wants. This is a quality fan-patch and this is coming from someone who's been playing them for ages, fully knowing most of them are innacurate in ways this patch isn't.

Honestly, I for one welcome knowing what the scrolls do without having to look up a guide.  The game was released 20 years ago and the director's vision has already been realized by this point.  Besides, I'm sure there'll be a good number of additional changes to be made when the inevitable remake rolls around.  They did it in Shadows of Valentia after all.

22 minutes ago, Almedy Rock said:

You're vastly overblowing what this patch does in terms of creative liberties. It does change a few things here and there and spruces up the dialogue in some areas, but it is nowhere NEAR close to what other people have done. Do you know how many fan-patches make shit up on the spot or just change dialogue for the fun of it? Kain calling Rosa a whore in FFIV (that whole translation is a damn mess, along with VI's SNES fan-translation); Kempf with the "In America!" line; that whole "fucks like a tiger" ordeal in Tales of Phantasia and so many other examples. Hell, this patch pales in comparison to what official localizations have also done. Point is, the changes made aren't a lot in the grand scheme of things, even in the realm of fan-translations and you're probably talking out of sheer ignorance.

Overall, I think there's a big disconnect between what you want and you think everyone else wants. This is a quality fan-patch and this is coming from someone who's been playing them for ages, fully knowing most of them are innacurate in ways this patch isn't.

I'm aware that some official localizations have done ever worse,but that's precisely the very reason why some people are butthurt.This could've been an amazing,10/10 translation patch for a classic game had it not tried to be Treehouse jr. and started localizing stuff for the sake of ...accessiblity?,and that's why people like me are bitching about it.

In fact I'm not even telling people to change it,I'm just expressing my righftul disappointment,like some other people already have.Write it off as a vocal minority or what you will,it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Gocciole

i never realized four strings in a program meant so much to goobs on the internet

1 hour ago, Gocciole said:

I'm aware that some official localizations have done ever worse,but that's precisely the very reason why some people are butthurt.This could've been an amazing,10/10 translation patch for a classic game had it not tried to be Treehouse jr. and started localizing stuff for the sake of ...accessiblity?,and that's why people like me are bitching about it.

In fact I'm not even telling people to change it,I'm just expressing my righftul disappointment,like some other people already have.Write it off as a vocal minority or what you will,it doesn't really matter.

Theres a difference between "rightfully expressing your disappointment" and slamming/trying to insult our work by calling us "treehouse jr." in an obviously inflammatory way. You've got a couple options, u could join our server and try to make ur case there, or just play the old patch, its that simple. but ur wasting everyone's time by bringing this up. Its not like we never had internal discussions about this, we did, the thought certainly did cross our minds.

31 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i never realized four strings in a program meant so much to goobs on the internet

Thanks for your guy's help moderating this thread btw (discord server owner here), i dunno why these peeps wont come in the server if theyre so adamant about their views

MODEDIT: speaking of moderating, yo don't doublepost 😉

1 hour ago, Gocciole said:

Nice project,I'm certain the team put a ton of effort and passion into it in order for as many people as possible to enjoy this game they love but I personally can't help but be disappointed.

As it stands,as a player who wants to experience Thracia as genuinely as possible without having to put the time investment into learning a foreign language,the years old patch with broken ass menus and Yugioh abridged memes is legitimately the better alternative,and that's just baffling.

I'm sure you have had a ton of input from different people but I'd say the average person who's interested in playing an obscure SNES SRPG from the late 90s would vastly prefer a "simple translation" as you put it,to a localization that takes a ton of creative liberties in order to make the game more accessible and more in tune with modern video games.People who want to play this know what they're getting into;is having unexplained mechanics and hidden,deadly traps bad design? maybe,but they're still part of the original game's design and changing those elements is not only disingenuous as it's going to skew the perception of the player on what the game was like (as fan made patches generally do not meddle with these design choices and players will assume they were part of the original experience) but also feels like it's a lack of respect for the original work,especially in parts where the thought process for the changes appears to be "huh this enemy bandit has uninteresting dialogue,I'll just ad-lib some made up verbose fluff to improve the world building or something".

55 minutes ago, Gocciole said:

Kay but lemme tell you why your bitching (and many other's) is really damn goofy.

Have you literally ever played a video game from Japan before in English? 9/10 times, its had SOMETHING changed to it. Localization is not just "direct adaptation of the words that are written". Doing that IS possible, but it results in static, uninteresting language because Japanese does not 1:1 adapt to English at ALL. Embellishments are par the course for ANY translation project. Acting like changing Bucks' damn death/release dialogue to say more than "URGH YOU BASTARDS" to fit his piratey persona despite him being a literal one off disposable Axe Bandit Goon boss is disingenuous is what the REAL disingenuity here.

And really? "Accesibility"? There are SIX very MILD hints, phrased as in-character dialogue. One of them just phrases "gotta dismount indoors" with brackets so people realize it's a command. One of them rephrases Leif's escape quote so we don't have to deal with THIS anymore:

AGdMp1f.png

One is a minor elaboration on the warp tiles in 24x. The biggest change is hinting at Linoan's promotion (which fwiw is not "TAKE LINOAN HERE DUMMY" its "if you have any priestesses maybe letting them pray at the local church would prove helpful" so I mean RIP if you stick Safy in there instead lol). And another reworded clarification about how to win the final chapter.

All of you guys acting like "ITS NOT AUTHENTIC TO THE ORIGINAL VISION REEEEEE" are EXTREMELY nitpicking. Fucking CinemaSins tier nitpicking. This ain't some DeJap era Tales of Phantasia patch where Klarth says "I BET ARCHE FUCKS LIKE A TIGER" because they were being silly. This ain't Treehouse Jr. If fucking anything, Treehouse should be MORE like Project Exile instead of y'know REWRITING ENTIRE SUPPORTS or what have you.

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, you think the old broken patch with yes, as you admitted, YUGIOH ABRIDGED SERIES MEMES IN IT, is the "more authentic" patch??? That Kempf joke alone, for as much as I found it funny, drops the old patch WAY below Project Exile's. You wanna talk about embellishments that ruin a game's tone and fell? THAT'S WHAT THAT IS. Putting fucking brackets around "dismount" and telling people "theres warp tiles in the narrow hallways" (on a map that is 50% narrow hallways) is RUINING THE VISIOOOON is pure ungrateful garbage. So fuck off with your "complaints" becuase they don't stack up to even the most MINISCULE of applied common sense.

Yo, Treehouse localized Fire Emblem 7, 8, 9 and 10. I fucking wish we were Treehouse Jr.

Edit:

the years old patch with broken ass menus and Yugioh abridged memes is legitimately the better alternative,and that's just baffling.

Ah, got it. So minor hints for accessibility is betraying the author's vision and more of a misrepresentation of the game than the patch whose script not only completely misses a ton of nuances, outright mistranslates or forgets(???) a good dozen vital info, hasn't inserted a ton of text OR the epilogues (said Epilogues are inexplicably all cut short in the FL script, too). The patch whose first 30 seconds are this absolute carnage. Oh, and the two memes, I guess. They're barely an issue, in comparison.

Uhuh. Wow. I guess we somehow did worse than that, huh.

Edited by Miacis

2 hours ago, Gocciole said:

Leaving memes aside, you DO know that the original japanese rom says literally in square brackets "make sure Leif [ESCAPES] last" (as the PE patch has correctly localized) while the Shaya Patch translates that as "when Leif escapes, everyone does too!"... don't you?

2 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Leaving memes aside, you DO know that the original japanese rom says literally in square brackets "make sure Leif [ESCAPES] last" (as the PE patch has correctly localized) while the Shaya Patch translates that as "when Leif escapes, everyone does too!"... don't you?

EXACTY this, please read the script notes, the shaya patch is NOT  perfectly accurate 1:1 translation, there are plenty of mistakes with it too.

59 minutes ago, Xylon7373 said:

EXACTY this, please read the script notes, the shaya patch is NOT  perfectly accurate 1:1 translation, there are plenty of mistakes with it too.

It's also toneless and dry as all hell, which is less of an indication of accuracy than it is about being low-effort.

3 hours ago, Gocciole said:

the years old patch with broken ass menus and Yugioh abridged memes is legitimately the better alternative,and that's just baffling.

Leaf:
“I can’t do that! When I escape, so does everyone else!”

(the first words of the game)

After escaping with his life from the collapsing Lenster Castle, Leaf, together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia.

Murder Hollace

game-breaking bug in chapter 24

Checks out.

Beg your pardon, but the first words of the game are actually:
rn coast of Thracia.

Edit: Btw, just so we're clear that we're not trying to shit on Shaya's work:
1) The script isn't his. It's FireLizard's, whose goal with that translation seemed to mostly be as a general guide for those trying to play the game in Japanese. Not a professional translation by any means, with fairly minimal research, little to no actual creative direction, and no apparent intent of actually inserting the text into the game.
2) Shaya's patch was basically a high school holiday solo project done on a bit of a whim.
Shaya himself is an extremely cool dude (and a Roy main!) who got most of this here translation team into the game in the first place, and it's honestly fairly impressive how far he got more or less on his own. For its scope, Shaya's patch was good. But, based on the reception we got, I'm pretty sure most FE players these days aren't content with these types of projects anymore.

Edited by Miacis

14 minutes ago, Miacis said:

Yo, Treehouse localized Fire Emblem 7, 8, 9 and 10. I fucking wish we were Treehouse Jr.

Humility is wonderful, but don't sell yourselves short. Don't forget they forgot the RD Extended Script, axed drunkeness and meaningful Dozla development, turned a woman into essence, and left some people hanging on a whether Rajaion lived or not not to mention they forgot to write in the cut PoR supports out of the ether.

I do love all those translations though, despite their faults.

One other question. I think in the pdfs you cited Legends of Localization on one on clarifying a term (Maou?), although I can't find it again. Has Clyde over there been informed of the patch? I know he isn't into FE, but he could throw it into his next Localization Roundup article. 

And to provide meaningful commentary, I don't think I like Mareeta calling Leif "Little Leif". I wouldn't rule out her calling him that, but they seem to be about the same age, she is possibly young I could imagine, and if anything she is the inexperienced one in combat. I'm not sure what you should have her call him though. It would be too wordy to say "Little Leif, as Mother used to call you".

I appreciate you didn't resort to either of Leif or Mareeta referring to the other as a sibling. They shared a "mother" in Eyvel, so in a sense I guess they are siblings and have a good relationship with each other. But I like leaving it unsaid and little ambiguous as to if they really do see each other as siblings, not that I'd ever ship the two together via that little ambiguity.

On the Saias monologue to Mareeta, maybe consider dropping "They are what they are because their creator wished them to be that way.". I say this, because while yes, the Shadow Sword was forged to be evil, Saias then makes the point that swords can be changed, and this statement contradicts that in a way. Furthermore, the next line- "Holy blades and cursed blades alike were forged by the hands of men." seems to get the same point across as the line I think you could drop. 

Perhaps also drop the short and direct "Use it for your own ends". And tweak the wording of "Assert your will over that which once robbed you of it" to "Assert your will over the weapon (or sword) which once robbed you of it" to make that statement more direct.

For the next paragraph, maybe you should merge the next two sentences, they seem redundant. Something sorta like "In so doing, you can forge a a new legacy- for the blade and for yourself". I dropped the mention of the word "future", because you say "future" later on as well; and "can forge" denotes doing something in the future.

Could "If you wish to live as a Swordmaster," become the less wordy, but less formal "If you wish to be (or become) a Swordmaster,"?

You could drop the "for" in the "for they are" that follows I guess. Actually, drop the "for they are tools that allow you to enact your will". It seems a little redundant if clarifying with what is stated before it. And the point of treating swords means in the next sentence means much the same thing.

The "For" at the start of Saias last sentence could go as well if you wanted to trim things real finely.

Ideally, I think merging the top and bottom of the "In so doing" paragraph together would be good, but you have to respect the Japanese and that midsection of "love all swords" breaks it. Yet if you relocated bladephilia to the top of this paragraph, you break flow with the one that precedes it, and that isn't good either.

Just trying to help with breaking down Saias's first wall of defense, the second being his Stars. Speaking of which, RD calls them Authority Stars, but I absolutely get why you went with Leadership. "Lead" looks better than "Auth" and is more readily informative in a menu.

I'm not sure about Augustus being surprised about the Dandelions being good-doer thieves. Maybe if you think him cynical, and his introduction with Lifis had a Soren-ish chord to it, but if you think him worldly, maybe he wouldn't be so surprised. I can't quite tell yet beyond the Reinhardt perspectives dispute- evil or honorable- major differences of worldview between Leif's two tacticians.

For C12x, Salem speaking of the value of "independence" isn't a bad assumption, since he did try to just leave the Loptian Order and was almost killed for it. 

I thank you for toning down the Safiya-Pan-Tina stuff, I never noticed the victim shaming, but the not-actually-rape joke was and is utterly tasteless. In this era, I'm glad you snipped it.

I like the "Bleedin' Baldr" and other alliterative Crusader-based swear alternatives you added to the villages. What I like about them is they allude to the heroes of legend, but not with formal sacredness. Folk traditions develop alongside organized religions, and while they love and respect the targets of worship just as much as the institutional religion, they've a homey casualness. I like to think of these alliterations you invented as a hint of folk religion, but not so much I'd criticize it as you inventing too much. There is room for humor and bawdry tales even in scripture, but folklore can be more free with it, whilst still be not irreverent? -Do I make a point?

2 minutes ago, Xylon7373 said:

Murder Hollace isn't an actual thing but a mistranslation of "Murder Holes" and the "real world history" of the term is a sham. Yeah that is awful! I almost wish SF deleted its script of that, or relegated it to a less accessible dustbin and enshrined the new translation in its place.

And now, if you excuse me, I just realized I missed the Brave Bow....:(: I knew I should've brought Selphina!

Not that I'm going to go back for it, Selphina isn't worth it I think. That chapter was sincerely fun and fairly easy though. It was a better PoR 24, with Glade replacing Geoffrey; just like the Manster Escape being a better 6-9 PoR extended and partly in reverse (C7 PoR is C3 T776), with more danger. My current chapter looks to be real evil, particularly if I want that southwest village. I don't see how one could miss the Gaiden requirement though.

Those are all fairly good feedback, and some of it even touched on topics we've already discussed in chat. Right now, we are still busy doing a bunch of hotfixes, but later this month, we plan to have a fairly extensive final script review, to put some of the final touches. Do you mind keeping those notes (both the good and bad) tucked away until it starts? In fact, if you want to pass by on our Discord channel, you'll be able to drop those notes and participate in the actual discussions at your leisure.

I'm saying that because we might have forgotten your post by then, so it'd be kind of a waste. .w.

I started to read other comments, expecting to see an outpouring of congratulations and gratitude, and was incredibly shocked and disappointed by some of the responses here.

So I'd just like to give a heartfelt thank you for the insane amount of thought and effort you've put into making this 20-year-old game accessible to people such as myself, who don't understand Japanese but really enjoy Fire Emblem and having been itching to play the entire series. I've been following this project since your second release and I am so, so grateful that you've finished it. I'm going to start playing it immediately.

Thanks again for everything you've done. I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And to provide meaningful commentary, I don't think I like Mareeta calling Leif "Little Leif". I wouldn't rule out her calling him that, but they seem to be about the same age, she is possibly young I could imagine, and if anything she is the inexperienced one in combat. I'm not sure what you should have her call him though. It would be too wordy to say "Little Leif, as Mother used to call you".

Ah, but Mareeta doesn't call Leif "Little Leif" - she only ever calls him "Little Lord". Eyvel is the only one that uses "Little Leif". Mareeta also sometimes calls Leif by name - just "Leif", no title - to help convey their closeness. You don't have to be physically bigger/older than someone to use "little" in a nickname, especially with "Little Lord", since it conveys that Leif is exactly that: a young prince, elevated to a position of power early in life.

As for the rest, I'd highly encourage you to join the Discord server and post your feedback in the script-discussion channel. I'd welcome your insights, and as Miacis mentioned, we'll be doing a review of the whole script very soon.

17 minutes ago, Miacis said:

Those are all fairly good feedback, and some of it even touched on topics we've already discussed in chat. Right now, we are still busy doing a bunch of hotfixes, but later this month, we plan to have a fairly extensive final script review, to put some of the final touches. Do you mind keeping those notes (both the good and bad) tucked away until it starts? In fact, if you want to pass by on our Discord channel, you'll be able to drop those notes and participate in the actual discussions at your leisure.

I'm saying that because we might have forgotten your post by then, so it'd be kind of a waste. .w.

Sure.

I joined SF's Discord some time ago, just haven't used it. 

I'm on the topic at the moment labeled #script-discussion, if that is the right one, but I can't post in it for some reason. It says I don't have permission.

3 minutes ago, Cirosan said:

Ah, but Mareeta doesn't call Leif "Little Leif" - she only ever calls him "Little Lord". Eyvel is the only one that uses "Little Leif". Mareeta also sometimes calls Leif by name - just "Leif", no title - to help convey their closeness. You don't have to be physically bigger/older than someone to use "little" in a nickname, especially with "Little Lord", since it conveys that Leif is exactly that: a young prince, elevated to a position of power early in life.

Mea culpa, I going off of memory at that moment, thinking it was accurate (not to call your script forgettable at all!). "Little Lord" I agree is perfectly fine.

You have to have a registered Discord account for 5 minutes before you can post. Register your account and wait for a bit, and you'll be able to post just fine

After you guys fully complete polish the script, I just hope you would public the whole package so if anyone want the game to be translated into their language might have something to base on.

The patch has been updated to version 1.02. Download it from the link in the OP. Your savefile will carry over between versions - you just have to patch a fresh ROM. DO NOT patch an already-patched ROM; use an unaltered ROM. Rename your savefile (the .srm) to have the same filename as the new ROM and it will load just fine.

A full changelog is below, but of note is the inclusion of Robert of Normandy's Unit Ordering Patch as an optional add-on. This allows you reorder the deploy menu, circumventing problems with positioning in later chapters. To use this add-on, see the included Readme.

Also, I have a ko-fi page now, if you're feeling generous: https://ko-fi.com/cirosan?

Changelog:

- Fixed typos that have been reported.
- Fixed an error that overwrote the first word of Schroff's epilogue slide.
- Fixed an error that prevented the "Lv" graphic from appearing on the Status screen.
- Partially fixed lingering text on the shop screen.
- Added missing information on Fjalar's Scroll.
- Reworded many item description names to be more accurate and informative.
- Amended incorrect terrain names.
- Amended title screen graphics.
- When full animations are turned on, ATC is now rendered as ATK, for consistency.
- When full animations are turned on, in-battle level-ups now show consistent stat abbreviations (HP, MAG, LCK and CON).
- Brown headers in trading screen changed from "Possession Item" to "Inventory".
- Fixed a graphical error that occured when Connaught is highlighted on the world map.

Edited by Cirosan

14 hours ago, Miacis said:

But, based on the reception we got, I'm pretty sure most FE players these days aren't content with these types of projects anymore.

You mean the reception here or elsewhere for your project?

I've actually looked back on this thread.  There have only been maybe 2-3 people who've been overly negative, and one or two others who've had criticisms while otherwise expressing gratitude.

Meanwhile, just look back on Page 4 and Page 5 of this thread, after Cirosan announced the project's completion.  And then take into consideration that there has been at least one unique poster every other day expressing gratitude.  Plus, as far as I've seen, the Reddit has been overwhelmingly positive (pretty sure you have to dig to find some negative comments, because I literally haven't seen any negativity there).  In fact, SF is the only place you've been receiving harsh, overly rude "criticisms" (I won't count 4chan because it's full of children who were dropped on their heads).  Hell, not even GameFAQs has been very negative about it, and they're notorious for being overly critical about literally everything.

The gratitude far outnumbers the negativity.  It's just that it's easy to inflate the negativity as being greater than whatever positivity there's been, and those who have been negative made sure they inflated it even further as much as they could.

Saying it again, vocal minority trying to tear you down.  Most people appreciate the work you've done.

Hey there,

I've been following this project since Mekkah uploaded his video asking for help to extend the ROM or whatever, and lurking around ever since to see how things were going. And seeing how this thread exploded I just wanted to leave my gratitude and some positivity. I think you guys did an amazing job, and I for one think that the "liberties" you took were absolutely justified.

So far, in my play-through (Chapter 4), I like the translation very much, and I don't think that will change while I play through this game.

I have one question: You said something about changing the menu font in a later version. Is there any rough ETA on that, yet? 
Anyway, you guys did something amazing for the whole FE Community, and I hope the very vocal haters won't make you forget that any time soon. 

Thank you and your entire team very much for this translation, I can't stress it enough!

Edited by Jules

Hello, just wanted to jump in and show my appreciation for this project, especially in light of all the a-holes having a meltdown over minor subjective details. 😉 Your work is appreciated.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:11 AM, Cirosan said:

A full changelog is below, but of note is the inclusion of Robert of Normandy's Unit Ordering Patch as an optional add-on. This allows you reorder the deploy menu, circumventing problems with positioning in later chapters. To use this add-on, see the included Readme.

I was debating asking about this (I was also considering asking about some of the patch notes and changes in more detail (like is Dorius called that instead of Darius because of the characters used in Japanese, little details like that. I haven't read all the way through yet and I think I'll hold back on asking before coming back to play a second time.)).

Thank you so much for reading my mind, this is honestly the thing I dislike the most about Thracia as a game in the series. (Not the hit floor/ceiling, untelegraphed warp tiles (I don't mean that there's no hint they exist as much as to where they are/go to), leadership's numbers in this game, Escape literally leaving everyone behind or any of the other crap.)