Feeling burnt-out

Francie

9 minutes ago, Sarracenia said:

Try playing Pokémon Go.  It's a fun game to play if you have free time or want something to do while traveling.

I don't have data, so unless there's a ton of pokespots near my house that's a no go

I'll be blunt, I haven't found many good Strategy games on mobile. There have been plenty of Battle Simulator games I've played, but the solution to most of them is "watch a video to deploy more units". 

18 minutes ago, Francie said:

Seeing how strategy games are a bust on mobile.

Anyone have any good gacha games they like.

SMT Dx2.

Are you familiar with Shin Megami Tensei, Persona series?  It is a gacha game based on that, except you can fuse demons together and thus most of the demons are acquirable this way and don't actually have to be pulled.  Has an extensive story mode and a lot of events.  

5 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

SMT Dx2.

Are you familiar with Shin Megami Tensei, Persona series?  It is a gacha game based on that, except you can fuse demons together and thus most of the demons are acquirable this way and don't actually have to be pulled.  Has an extensive story mode and a lot of events.  

I tried playing it for a good month or so, didn't really get into it as much as i had hoped.

Didn't enjoy how long it took to summon demons using the ingame currency.

But thanks for the offer.

If you want a 4X strategy game that can take as little as 5 to 10 minutes, or binge 1 to 2 hours on, there is neat little game called Polytopia. The number of enemy tribes is adjustable, so you can pick how long you want your games to be. You get 4 tribes for free, but you will have to pay money to unlock others. I do not remember how much it took to unlock everything, but it should not be over $20.00.

If you do decide to pay to unlock additional tribes, and if you like aggressive play, I highly recommend getting the elves. They are similar to Zerg in StarCraft and you can swarm and rush your opponents in the early game. They also get flying dragons in the late game.

Edited by XRay

Fate/Grand Order.
A story with an actual plot? Check.
Characters you could actually care about? Check.
Engaging events? Check.
F2P friendly? Absolutely.

Only real minus are the bad pull rates from the gacha but the low-rarity stuff is actually good and some of the free units are pretty amazing as well, so there is no actual need to pull for better Servants to progress and you can always choose a Servant from your friend list to support your team. As long you don't spend currency every single banner you're going to be fine.
There is also the thing that you need to grind a lot which can be off-putting if you only played FEH so far because the latter has very little grinding aside from maybe HM. But it is in line with other gachas.

6 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Fate/Grand Order.
A story with an actual plot? Check.
Characters you could actually care about? Check.
Engaging events? Check.
F2P friendly? Absolutely.

Only real minus are the bad pull rates from the gacha but the low-rarity stuff is actually good and some of the free units are pretty amazing as well, so there is no actual need to pull for better Servants to progress and you can always choose a Servant from your friend list to support your team. As long you don't spend currency every single banner you're going to be fine.
There is also the thing that you need to grind a lot which can be off-putting if you only played FEH so far because the latter has very little grinding aside from maybe HM. But it is in line with other gachas.

Ah FGO

If only it would give me back the half a year I spent playing you, which created a bad taste for all thing fate.

I could try to get back into it again, thanks bruv.

59 minutes ago, Francie said:

I tried playing it for a good month or so, didn't really get into it as much as i had hoped.

Didn't enjoy how long it took to summon demons using the ingame currency.

But thanks for the offer.

Yeah it is super grindy and the pull rate is terrible.  Also while fusing 4 stars is relatively inexpensive, fusing a 5 star probably takes months of mag earnings unless one grinds a ton.  I play it casually, cause I love the main series.  

I guess CCGs are on mobile if you are into that.  They are 'full' games, developed for PC usually as well.  Also older console games are sometimes ported to mobile as well.  Like strategy?  Final Fantasy Tactics an all time great SRPG is on mobile.  

2 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I guess CCGs are on mobile if you are into that.  They are 'full' games, developed for PC usually as well.  Also older console games are sometimes ported to mobile as well.  Like strategy?  Final Fantasy Tactics an all time great SRPG is on mobile.  

The world ends with you port for mobile is one of the best ports of a game in existence.

and i've been meaning to play tactics for a while.

I'll happily check it out.

Stickwar: Legacy is a solid strategy game for mobile. It's basically a remake of the first web game, but with much better balancing. The unit costs are adjusted for the better, swordwraths get some minor but much needed upgrades, and the graphical changes with each upgrade are more noticeable. There's also a faux-multiplayer mode as well as a "see-how-long-you-can-last" zombie defense mode. There are also some power-ups you can buy in the shop with either real money or the in-game currency, but the game is perfectly beatable without them, even on the hardest difficulty. Overall, a great strategy game I can definitely recommend.

For gacha games, I suggest Blustone. It has one of the best gacha mechanics out there, due to the combination of how no character starts out at max rank, low ranked characters are a great example of magikarp power while more powerful ones start out strong and can only grow stronger, and the training and ranking up mechanics mean that you'll always be happy to see even a one-star character. Not to mention that it can get surprisingly strategic for a tap-a-thon, with a rock-paper-scissors system in play, different classes, and unique skills becoming more and more important the further you go through the game. The writing is surprisingly solid, too, and the game constantly updates with improvements and more content.

A few warnings I should provide beforehand: The game is not afraid to get weird, especially in the "it makes sense in context" kind of way, so don't be surprised if some situations seem strange when you try to explain them. The story bosses also have a rather nasty difficulty spike after a while (and you will scream when you realize that the only offensive character with a defensive skill is one of the last story bosses you face...), and expect to loose more fights than you win in the fight club. Also, you "recruit" characters by kidnapping them, and while a fair number show annoyance or at least acknowledge their method of transport, all of them are surprisingly nonchalant about the whole thing.

XCOM: Enemy Within has a mobile port, amazingly enough, and it's pretty much the full experience of the PC game - i.e. not a "mobile" game. One time purchase of $10.

Incidentally XCOM is probably how I got into Fire Emblem into the first place, something similar I could play on my then-new 3DS. I'm back playing a lot of modded XCOM (PC obviously) even now, I daresay it's my game of the decade with the Long War mod.

I've been playing Knights Chronicle recently. As long as you ignore the crazy amount of people that complain in the reddit, it's a pretty chill game. There are rumors that it might not last much longer since they're merging the JPN server with the global server, but for now as a f2p, I enjoy it. If you do play this game, I don't recommend spending any money. 

As far as gacha rates, I'd say they're pretty standard, around 4% for focus units I think. If you spend 1400 crystals on most banners, you get a selector ticket for one of the non-new banner units. If you spend 2000 crystals, you get the new banner unit. Of course you can get stuff before spending that much, but I like having that security. A lot of the SSR units are given out for free via random character tickets too. Sometimes you get lucky and get new characters. Sometimes you get repeats. I feel like I've been pretty blessed, and I've gotten pretty much all of the units I've wanted. 

I'd say the story is pretty meh...but for the three different difficulties, you get three different PoVs so that's kinda nice. It's a very grindy game. And a lot of the advents are HARD and require very specific characters to complete. And there are some p2w aspects, but it's nothing game-breaking. 

3 hours ago, XRay said:

If you want a 4X strategy game that can take as little as 5 to 10 minutes, or binge 1 to 2 hours on, there is neat little game called Polytopia. The number of enemy tribes is adjustable, so you can pick how long you want your games to be. You get 4 tribes for free, but you will have to pay money to unlock others. I do not remember how much it took to unlock everything, but it should not be over $20.00.

If you do decide to pay to unlock additional tribes, and if you like aggressive play, I highly recommend getting the elves. They are similar to Zerg in StarCraft and you can swarm and rush your opponents in the early game. They also get flying dragons in the late game.

YES! I wanted to recommend Polytopia but I was beaten to the punch. The Civ fan in me was exalted to have stumbled upon it completely accidentally. It’s great, really.