• Elenoar
    • Percy
    • Mac
    • Stanley
    • Theodore
    • Theodora
    • Eryn
    • Cheryl

For those of you who know, I've moved this topic from Concepts to here as I figure I've made some progress...capitalize the word SOME. Anyway, for those who don't know, this is a game of mine and a few people, one of them named Sphinx called, Gate of Shadows. It was originally supposed to be a rom hack, but then SRPG Studio was officially released in english and we decided to move it on to here. Anyway, on tho the game.

Backstory

This game takes place in the 800s, following a thousand years after the kingdoms on the continent called Portas was established, when a hero named Griffith fights the increasing darkness that's surrounding him; all of which stemming from a dark mage extremely bent on using the Gate of Shadows. More than twenty years later,  follow his son, Aurelio, fight for the freedom of Portas and his kingdom.

Gameplay

Now I'm sure you're all familiar with Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War; especially the part with Sigurd and Seliph. Well this game would function just like that; with two heroes in two generations.

There are also a list of things included in this game such as:

• A return of the magic triangle
  • Return of knives and a new weapon type called Cane
  • Buffs and debuffs from Fire Emblem Heroes
  • GBA-styled supports (not in yet)
  • Returning base mechanic from FE9 and FE10
  • Wlv. from FE3 and FE1 make a return

Progress

Right now, there are only three chapters. I just wanted to release this as a short of demo, so people can get a feel of this game. I'll release the next part in the near future hopefully.

I think that's everything: here's the download link. I hope you enjoy the game!: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cob4trohchd1m8f/Gate of Shadows.zip?dl=0

Screenshots

ZXfOH71.jpg

einjQZs.jpg

C7T8cEh.jpg

Edited by escotanner

45 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Always exciting to see new SRPG Studio projects.  I'll give this one a try.

Though I would avoid using the Fire Emblem name unless you want Nintendo to C&D you.

Got it.

...Hoo boy.  This game is going to need a lot of work.  Let's see:

• Weapons have inconsistent artstyle
  • Several text strings appear to be garbled
  • The script as a whole could use some editing for flow and grammar
  • Unit balancing looks like it's all over the place.  (I know Elenoar is supposed to be your Oifey/Jagen, but everyone is so weak compared to her it's not funny.  Why do Cavaliers lose Movement on promotion?  Why do you only get 1 EXP for kills but more for not getting kills?)
  • Chapter 2 has a bunch of issues.
    • I'm guessing this is an Arran and Samson situation in which you have to pick which sibling lives and which one dies, but on the right path, both events play and they both die.
    • None of the enemies other than the Mercenaries and the top-left Soldier seem to attack you on Enemy Phase.
    • Stanley and the Thief twins don't have consistent portraits during events.
    • The top-right Soldier has a weapon he can't use.
  • Unlock does not appear to work

32 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

...Hoo boy.  This game is going to need a lot of work.  Let's see:

• Weapons have inconsistent artstyle
  • Several text strings appear to be garbled
  • The script as a whole could use some editing for flow and grammar
  • Unit balancing looks like it's all over the place.  (I know Elenoar is supposed to be your Oifey/Jagen, but everyone is so weak compared to her it's not funny.  Why do Cavaliers lose Movement on promotion?  Why do you only get 1 EXP for kills but more for not getting kills?)
  • Chapter 2 has a bunch of issues.
    • I'm guessing this is an Arran and Samson situation in which you have to pick which sibling lives and which one dies, but on the right path, both events play and they both die.
    • None of the enemies other than the Mercenaries and the top-left Soldier seem to attack you on Enemy Phase.
    • Stanley and the Thief twins don't have consistent portraits during events.
    • The top-right Soldier has a weapon he can't use.
  • Unlock does not appear to work

Thanks for this. I'll try to patch all of this up as soon as I can. If you don't mind, keep me posted if you notice anything else.

4 minutes ago, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

Why would you bring weapon level rates back? it's not fun

These are what SRPG Studio uses by default.  A custom Weapon Rank script exists, but it has to be edited from Japanese to English and adjusting your game to use it is a ton of work.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

11 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

These are what SRPG Studio uses by default.  A custom Weapon Rank script exists, but it has to be edited from Japanese to English and adjusting your game to use it is a ton of work.

I figured that was the case, but since OP listed that as a feature, it seemed like he decided to add, rather than it being there already.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

wait then who does jun get paired with?

Ventus?

By the way, @escotanner, you're always free to drop by the /r/SRPGStudio Discord for advice and meeting up with fellow fangame makers working in SRPG Studio.

https://discord.gg/yRbuKUd

14 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ventus?

By the way, @escotanner, you're always free to drop by the /r/SRPGStudio Discord for advice and meeting up with fellow fangame makers working in SRPG Studio.

https://discord.gg/yRbuKUd

Oh I do. I just haven't been there for the past wee due to the holidays.

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Idk if your busy or not but when will this be updated or did you just cancel the project it was a really good game pls don't but i understand if your really busy.

Don't worry, it's not canceled, I was just really busy with life. Since, I'm on summer break, I will be working on it full time.

2 minutes ago, escotanner said:

Don't worry, it's not canceled, I was just really busy with life. Since, I'm on summer break, I will be working on it full time.

Good to hear.  Can't wait to see the improvements!

• 9 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

I just remembered this project and was wondering if your still working on it @escotanner

But if your super busy I understand 

I really liked this hack because it was the only one I've seen with a second gen

I'm still working on it, but with college and work, my life has become very hectic. I hope to get back into it once summer rolls around.