Thoughts on Cecilia from FE 6?

Guest DodgeTanking101

Guest DodgeTanking101

So... I hate her. With a passion. Gameplay, wise...she’s pretty good. Nice staff utility and movement along with amazing weapon levels. It’s her character I can’t stand! She serves no purpose, other than being Roy’s teacher and even THAT doesn’t make sense! Tell me what you think about her.

I'm generally indifferent to Cecilia, though I find the fact that Roy can marry her very strange.

I mean really, the kid's only 15 for crying out loud.  Cecilia looks like she's about 30.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Clarine will kinda have generally shitty magic by the time she joined, and she can use Aircalibur immediately. This makes her generally better than Clarine by that timespan

Combine this with having a horse and she's actually pretty good, although nowhere near first rate unit like broken shits like Niime or even Saul who is generally the best bet for higher level staff

She is uh...wayyyyy too average to hate, man 

Like it's not as if she deprives other characters of screentime, or has some huge following that beats people over the head about how she's actually amazingly written or something (or maybe that does exist? You never know with the fire emblem fanbase)

Its like hating an FE1 character or something 

16 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

It says that Roy has a thing for teachers, and that being mage general means you're above the law, I guess

I didn't know Roy was into that sort of thing. I guess it's a... decent enough explanation for why he can marry Cecilia.

It's still weird, though.

15 minutes ago, indigospace said:

I didn't know Roy was into that sort of thing. I guess it's a... decent enough explanation for why he can marry Cecilia.

Actually it is part of Roy's plans to rule all of Elibe through strategically placed lovers. Sophia is the prophetess of Arcadia, Lilina is heir to Lycia's greatest sub-polity, Guinevere is Queen of Bern, Sue is the heir to one of Sacae's great clans, as Zelot becomes King of Ilia at the end of FE6, Shanna becomes a princess; Larum should have sway in the Western Isles, and Cecilia is one of the highest officials in Etruria.

Roy has studied a lot, he knows military strategy, diplomacy, and politics, including the historical influence of women over the male elite. He is simply bringing that influence to bear in the most powerful and daring expression ever attempted in world history. The romance itself is a secondary priority, and he disowns his non-Lilina offspring from the Lycian inheritance for fear of Lycia's partition in war on his death, instead working to establish their places in their respective realms. Fortunately he is able to charm certain men into willing to be the stepfathers, and as far as the public knows, the real fathers, of his non-Lilina children. Except for Sophia, there she by Roy's advice creates a myth Arcadia is willing to believe that she conceived her children without a male, proof of her great powers.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually it is part of Roy's plans to rule all of Elibe through strategically placed lovers. Sophia is the prophetess of Arcadia, Lilina is heir to Lycia's greatest sub-polity, Guinevere is Queen of Bern, Sue is the heir to one of Sacae's great clans, as Zelot becomes King of Ilia at the end of FE6, Shanna becomes a princess; Larum should have sway in the Western Isles, and Cecilia is one of the highest officials in Etruria.

Roy has studied a lot, he knows military strategy, diplomacy, and politics, including the historical influence of women over the male elite. He is simply bringing that influence to bear in the most powerful and daring expression ever attempted in world history. The romance itself is a secondary priority, and he disowns his non-Lilina offspring from the Lycian inheritance for fear of Lycia's partition in war on his death, instead working to establish their places in their respective realms. Fortunately he is able to charm certain men into willing to be the stepfathers, and as far as the public knows, the real fathers, of his non-Lilina children. Except for Sophia, there she by Roy's advice creates a myth Arcadia is willing to believe that she conceived her children without a male, proof of her great powers.

Well, that was a depressing read.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't tell if this explanation is canon or not, but I like it. It also makes Roy seem... manipulative? I don't quite think that's the right word I'm looking for, but in any case, it's something I've never heard about Roy before.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure if this is something to admit or not.... but I spent way too much time myself thinking of which girl would be the most likely to end up with Roy taking political ties into consideration. I also think Larum also has some sway in Etruria too. Her father is a trusted general of Elffin and she did help save/hide him, so she has ties to Eturian royalty as well. Plus, her ending is the only one where it mentions that she gained the respect of others.

Granted, I prefer her with Oujay or Perceval, but they don't have any paired endings.

She has a lovely design, but the fact that she can get with Roy is...well...looks like Fates wasn't the one to start the weirdness, hahah.

I really hope that if Binding Blade gets a remake, they remove the paired ending from them. It's just...wrong, tbh. He's 15, good lord!

1 hour ago, Lau said:

She has a lovely design, but the fact that she can get with Roy is...well...looks like Fates wasn't the one to start the weirdness, hahah.

I really hope that if Binding Blade gets a remake, they remove the paired ending from them. It's just...wrong, tbh. He's 15, good lord!

She doesn't marry him when he's 15. Eventually they get married, not at the end of the game but sometime after that. 

Spoiler

Cecilia (paired with Roy)

Cecilia accompanied Roy to Pherae, where she helped rebuild the battered land. She eventually married Roy, continuing to offer him close support and aid as the duchess of Pherae.

OT: I think Cecilia is one of the best characters in FE6. Funny coincidence that I'm reading her supports right now just to see her character at around the same time you made this thread. I do want to see more discussions on other major characters that are non lords.

I think she has good supports with the exception of the one with Percival where she's basically repeating, "Yes", and the support with Roy where she criticizes Roy, gets refuted and accepts that she was wrong. She's too submissive in that support which is contradictory to her established character in the other supports and the story where she's shown to be quite wise and bold. 

The one with Lilina shows how she is able to recognize the talents of her subordinates and gives them tasks they are good at to avoid wasting their talents. 

The one with Saul shows a manipulative side to her where she scares off Saul but with poise. 

The one with Doughlas shows how she suffered through discrimination due to being a woman and also shows us her charisma where she manages to get Doughlas to continue working for Etruria despite him lamenting his old age. 

The one with Elfin shows how she's willing to question her Prince despite being royalty and also shows her intelligence in not falling for his disguise and understanding why he did so. 

If "bland" means "arguing with the king, then later escaping from the capital with an important person and raising hell, forcing the King of Bern to take matters into his own hands", then yes, Cecilia is bland.

Her biggest issue IMO is that her moments in the sun are told, not shown.

She wants to date her underaged student! EEEEEEEEW!

Cecilia seems kind of a downgrade compared to pent. He's introduced slaughtering an entire army and being named as the student of a living legend while Cecillia spends her recruitment chapter getting defeated and thrown into a dungeon. She get to fight Zephiel but she was already losing before he got involved. She also seems to be the junior of the Etrurian generals in a way Pent wouldn't be. Maybe its because I played FE7 first but I didn't think she lived up to her title very much. 

But she got her moments too. Cecillia might fail in the civil war but she's the only one of the three generals who even tries doing the right thing and her rescue at Ostia was a strong moment for her. Her supports are all pretty good.

She's a decent enough character in her own right I suppose. 

On 10/10/2018 at 9:42 PM, indigospace said:

I can't tell if this explanation is canon or not, but I like it. It also makes Roy seem... manipulative? I don't quite think that's the right word I'm looking for, but in any case, it's something I've never heard about Roy before.

I never even saw one instance suggesting that explanation was canon. If anything, it's a Wild Mass Guess.

I'm not sure if not having a big role in the story can be held against her, when FE6 has 50 units that have less story presence than she does.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:35 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know that it probably shouldn't, but if that's canon it makes me really like Roy a lot more than I already do. Instead of being a bland, generic lord he become this masterful charismatic tactician who can work the whims of the world into his grand plot. Interact with the right people and marry one of them to ensure that other sectors of the continent listen to what he has to say, and so he could have sway over them, moreso than he would than being the hero of a war. On top of that, manipulate descendants to ensure minimal uprisings. It's brilliant, if not a bit douchey.