Brigid Pairing Question

Noax

I've started my second run of Genealogy and wanted to try some different pairings. I've already got everyone figured out except Brigid. I'm debating between Dew and Alec, since they are both some of my favorite Gen1 characters and offer something decent in the form of Bargain/Sol or Pursuit/Nihil. What do you guys think?

(I know there are way better pairings out there for her, but I'd like to keep the choices down to either Dew or Alec here plz)

IMHO, you should go for Dew.

Bargain helps with Patty's gold trading shenanigans (one of the easier, if not tedious, ways to level her up, and certainly the easiest way to move money around), and she'll eventually get Pursuit anyway (or she could buy the Pursuit Ring at a lower price than normal thanks to Bargain).  Nihil isn't that good on her because you really shouldn't be putting her in situations where she'd have to worry about enemies either critting her or hitting her with special skills in the first place.  Sol isn't the most reliable skill, but it can occasionally help keep her out of imminent danger.

Barely matters in Faval's case.  Again, Nihil is kind of situational, but Bargain is good for convenience if you want him to use Yewfelle a lot.  He has Pursuit no matter what and Sol is a sword-only skill, so it's only these skills that matter.  And stat-wise, the only thing Alec will give him is maybe a little bit more HP.  And Patty's stats will pretty much always be lame, but even then Dew's still better for her.

Unless you are trying to defeat Julius without Julia I think Dew is the way to go. Dew give both kids better or equal growth rates in everything but HP, Dew gives both of them bargain, which is especially good on Faval, it lets him use that bow of his more without breaking the bank, and gives Patty the Sol skill. Alec gives Patty the pursuit skill before she promotes (Faval and promoted Patty get it as a class skill for free), and gives them the Nihil skill, which is of limited use with critical hits locked behind a skill (and neither of the children being vulnerable to effect weapons even without it), and the only enemy sword skill in second gen being a single instance of sol. The big place it is relevant is in facing Wrath, which Julius has on the final map, so if you are trying to take down Julius without Julia trivializing that fight, being immune to his wrath crits make Faval a much better unit with Alec as a father.

Eh, neither will matter all that much. Dew gives bargain which is good on any holy weapon user, but it doesn’t matter a whole lot on a bow user because it won’t usually be used on enemy phase.

Sol is basically a non issue because Faval can’t use it, and Patty is not a great combat unit. 

Alec doesn’t give skills that are much more beneficial. Nihil usually won’t matter.  Pursuit is always on Faval and Patty doesn’t really need it.

I would say Dew is slightly more beneficial, but FE4 is easy enough that it doesn’t matter who you pick.

8 hours ago, Noax said:

I've started my second run of Genealogy and wanted to try some different pairings. I've already got everyone figured out except Brigid. I'm debating between Dew and Alec, since they are both some of my favorite Gen1 characters and offer something decent in the form of Bargain/Sol or Pursuit/Nihil. What do you guys think?

(I know there are way better pairings out there for her, but I'd like to keep the choices down to either Dew or Alec here plz)

better stick with Dew, if you really need to choose between him and Alec.

rather than Nihil, Patty will mostly need Sol to stay alive, and bargain is always helpful even if it's a secondary skill, especially if you'll have to repair the sleep sword.

you should get Pursuit from Brigid by default, so the main choice would be between Nihil or Sol.

weapon inheritance shouldn't be a problem either, as you'll be starting with a sleep sword anyway, and that will help you a lot when it procs against enemies.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

you should get Pursuit from Brigid by default, so the main choice would be between Nihil or Sol.

Pursuit is a class skill. This means that Patty won't inherit Pursuit from Briggid (Faval will have it since he is in the same class as his mother).

I would still go with Dew anyway because Faval will turn out good no matter the  and Patty is an utility unit and shouldn't be used for combat.  I only use her to visit villages to give the money to your units with holy weapons or non-combat units. Bargain is useful in this case for affording the leg ring so she can reach the villages more quickly or the return band so she can mind her own business while visiting villages and return to the castle so that your (mounted) staff units can be busy on the frontlines. 

3 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Pursuit is a class skill. This means that Patty won't inherit Pursuit from Briggid (Faval will have it since he is in the same class as his mother).

I would still go with Dew anyway because Faval will turn out good no matter the  and Patty is an utility unit and shouldn't be used for combat.  I only use her to visit villages to give the money to your units with holy weapons or non-combat units. Bargain is useful in this case for affording the leg ring so she can reach the villages more quickly or the return band so she can mind her own business while visiting villages and return to the castle so that your (mounted) staff units can be busy on the frontlines. 

yeah, my bad, i forgot that some skills are only limited to certain classes.

in any case: https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/classes/introduction/

thieffighter Thief Fighter Sword Pursuit and Steal skills

that's also to consider if he really wants to play with Patty and make her a bit more relevant after promotion, but in the end it's up to him.

i wouldn't waste the leg ring on Patty thou. Leen or Laylea become way more useful with it since they can keep up with mounted units in order to make up to 4 units attack twice, but that's just a personal tactical preference.

same with return rings, i'd rather give them to heavy units with high defence, in case enemy teams suddenly show up from nowhere to rush the main castle.

as for Crusaders, usually giving them the Bargain or the Steal ring works quite well, as long as you don't overuse them and keep them only for critical situations/bosses.

otherwise money from the arena and/or lovers should be enough.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i wouldn't waste the leg ring on Patty thou. Leen or Laylea become way more useful with it since they can keep up with mounted units in order to make up to 4 units attack twice, but that's just a personal tactical preference.

I certainly agree with this. But the part about the leg ring was an example of how you can save money with bargain. To give an example, imagine that Patty wants the leg ring to reach some villages more quickly. But Lene wants it back as soon as possible. So she sells it for 20000 g. Patty buys it for 20000 g. After having visited the villages she uses the Return Band to go to the Base. she then sells the Leg ring for 20000 g. She is warped to the castle which the closest to the position of Lene. Then she gives the 20000 g to Lene, now she has 40000 g so she can afford the Leg ring immediately. 

If Patty didn't have bargain she would need 40000 g which is not that easy to obtain even as a thief, 20000 g is a lot less and way easier to obtain.

I agree with the rest of what you said except the part about the return band. Since I often have either Shannan or Holsety Ced stand on the main castle which causes the enemy to forget how to attack. And you get multiple of them if my memory serves me right.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:12 PM, LJwalhout said:

I agree with the rest of what you said except the part about the return band. Since I often have either Shannan or Holsety Ced stand on the main castle which causes the enemy to forget how to attack. And you get multiple of them if my memory serves me right.

there should be about 2 in the 2nd generation. can't remember at the moment if there was a 3rd too, but i doubt it.

i tend to give return rings mostly to horseback units with good stats anyway, so at least they can manage to try coming back to the main group once they're done defending the castles.

usually for me it ends up on Lex in the 1st generation, or Oifaye/Fin in 2nd generation.

Edited by Fenreir

Let's see here...

On one hand, If you use dew, you get bargain but its almost redundant seeing how easy money you can make in arenas. Then there's Sol but that isn't saying much considering its on Patty and not Febail. Atleast they end up above average.

Then there's Alec. As awesome as he is, the kids end up being just average but you get better skills though.

With that in mind, its best to go with Dew. If you want a better option, Naoise would do good as well.