My first run (mampfoid goes to know Hector & co)

mampfoid

19 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Sorta, the Arena can be used to grind money or levels for any characters, (although there is the danger of unit death, but I remember it as fairly easy to avoid Arena deaths in FE7) a lot of people don't use it because you can easily abuse it to really break the game.

I used arena to give my units some levels, since a few of them were falling back. Matthew is not so bad in combat if he gains levels. He needs many hits to kill, but he his hard to hit himself. 

19 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Only if you want to, you will be getting a second thief (Legualt who you might have seen in Heroes) before too long, and he starts with higher speed (although if you get Matthew to Legault's starting level he will average a higher speed), and even then I don't think there is anything hard to steal with Legault in normal mode (although there are a couple of items in the harder difficulties that would require actually training a thief to get)

Ah cool, there is also Legault? I like him in Heroes, because he is one of the few (seemingly) older guys. Will be hard to decide between him and Matthew. 

Is it worth the effort to steal stuff? Unique items/weapons? 

9 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Is it worth the effort to steal stuff? Unique items/weapons? 

You can't steal weapons or staves in this game, but anything that is considered an item can be stolen. The big things worth stealing are: stat boosting items; there are a couple of promotion items that you only get by stealing; the member card that allows you to access the game's secret shops  (although you will probably have to look up their locations to take full advantage of that); and gems that can be sold for lots of money. Stealing an enemy thief's lockpick is a funny way you can deal with them, and there are plenty of minor items like mines, light runes, vulneraries, torches, door keys and chest keys that can be stolen if you want them, and notice them before the enemy dies.