Weapon Ranks Staying in Other Classes

Elegant Ice Sword

I finally got Conquest after so, so long, and there's something I'm really curious about: if I have someone in a class that has a certain weapon rank and it's maxed out, then I reclass them in a class whose max weapon rank with the weapon is lower than in the previous class, can that character still use weapons with a higher rank than the new class's rank cap? (ex: If I promote Nyx into a Sorcerer and work up her Tome rank to S, then reclass her into a Dark Knight (whose Tome rank is A), can I still use Excalibur on her as a Dark Knight?). I really need to know, this is gonna affect how I plan out my promotions.

2 minutes ago, Elegant Ice Sword said:

I finally got Conquest after so, so long, and there's something I'm really curious about: if I have someone in a class that has a certain weapon rank and it's maxed out, then I reclass them in a class whose max weapon rank with the weapon is lower than in the previous class, can that character still use weapons with a higher rank than the new class's rank cap? (ex: If I promote Nyx into a Sorcerer and work up her Tome rank to S, then reclass her into a Dark Knight (whose Tome rank is A), can I still use Excalibur on her as a Dark Knight?). I really need to know, this is gonna affect how I plan out my promotions.

In a word: No. However, the weapon rank is memorized for when you go back into said class.

Weapon rank for specific weapon types does carry over.  So if you have a samurai at C-rank swords, you can have them switch to ninja, then promote to master ninja, and they'll still have that C-rank in swords.

I use this to make Mozu into a better Merchant/Kinshi Knight by having her promote into those classes after having spent some time with both lances and bows.

The exception to this rule is if the class they're reclassing to has a lower weapon rank cap in that weapon class.  So if a swordmaster has an S-rank in swords and reclasses to blacksmith, the sword rank will go down to B-rank; however, if they then reclass back to a class with a higher weapon rank cap, they will retain the highest weapon rank possible for that class.  That being said, you can't grind weapon ranks if you've had the unit hit their caps.  If you get a blacksmith up to B-rank with swords and have them defeat a thousand enemies, they're not gonna suddenly have A-rank in swords if they reclass to hero or swordmaster.

• 3 weeks later...

If only there was something that would preserve weapon abilities or something like Corrin can use swords/dragonstones regardless of class or the likes of Kaden and Keaton can use beaststone regardless of class, that would be great.