Em Makes a Map (or several)

Emerson

30 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

Why does one have yurts and houses on it at the same time

i am irrationally bothered by this

Uhhhh... nomadic imperial expansion. This is the borderland between home of nomadic pastoralists and settled agriculturalists. These lands shift back and forth between settled civilization and the nomads, creating a mixed population. Presently, the nomads have gained control of this area, and thus move in to establish both an administration and bring their pastoral activities there- thus the yurts big and small.

The first and fifth maps look amazing. I have some problems with the others though.

The Second map is pretty good overall, just needs a few minor tweaks.

5bcd337133cc3_Fix1.JPG.712a53fe6b733a0060b92f0b157cbda6.JPG

I highlighted where I assumed the units would start. If they started on the bottom left, I think that the level design would be worse since it would be a lot of of looping inside to get things or go to shops, instead of a good'ol downward rush. Where I put red I recommend putting a bridge, and then making the blue x'd wall breakable. Move the cliffs by the blue arrows back in the direction they're pointing, probably by only one space or two, and then add a staircase to the treasure room where the black is.

The third map needed a bit more fixing.

5bcd35b6e3d09_Fix2.JPG.4b4c36c7d56e174b5fc8f30ac5faf84b.JPG

First I highlighted where I believe the units should start and then where the boss would be, mainly as a basis to judge level design. The white x's are places to add houses, and the white square is a village. Blue shows that we should move those back by two spaces, so there's a bit more room for unit placement. I like having dead trees that we knock down, and this map has potential for many of those. So I added two more, represented by Black x's, with the squigles beside them being to get rid of the thicket so units can move past. The cliff squigle is to add a path through that cliff, mainly for player convenience.  Potentially swap the two red circles, although I could be convinced otherwise, and the purple circles are placement for balistia. I imagine this chapter as something akin to that one Thracia chapter, where there were three routes you could take, a top, middle, and bottom one. It's already designed pretty well for that purpose, and even has places where you could swap routes which is cool. Bottom has a bunch of long range enemies, but also the least amount of foes. Middle has a bunch of enemies, a great choke point, and the greatest rewards. The top has some higher leveled enemies, good rewards, and is also the fastest. Give the players some choice and a bit of challenge.

The fourth map just seems a bit too open at the bottom, and looks like random klutter at the top. With all due respect, this is clearly the worst map of the five.

5bcd4249ba5d3_Fix3.JPG.5dee13e054e34f1dae98b91a1c8e60c8.JPG

Highlight start and boss. The white circles are places where more sand should be added. The red squigles are trees, red x's are thickets. Purple is to change the tile colors to create the appearance of a main path. For the area circled in black move that out by three or four spaces, and then put a treasure chest in there. Get rid of the area blue x'd out, and make the blue circled area more deteriorated. And clean up the area that is yellow circled, it just kinda looks bad. I'd recommend moving the bottom row down by one and making it more symmetrical.

9 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ooh, these look nice!

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not bad, most of them are quite sylvan, naturally designed as locations, and potentially strategic. Wouldn't mind seeing someone fill these in with enemies.

Unfortunately I'm still not to good with indoor or fort maps yet. I've been working on it but it's a bit rough for me. Trying to make layouts that make sense and are functional is hard.

9 hours ago, ChefGuevara said:

Why does one have yurts and houses on it at the same time

i am irrationally bothered by this

Uh, they were supposed to be different villages so I used different house types. They... definitely look out of place now that you mention it.

7 hours ago, indigospace said:

That third map is gonna suck for horseback units.

All in all, these are really good. I especially like the 5th map. The 2nd map is really cool, too.

Thank you. Yeah, the 3rd map is pretty much entirely aesthetics. I created a second map using the same tileset down the line which was less tree-heavy, but it never actually got finished.

3 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

-snip-

I appreciate the feedback. These were mostly just made for aesthetic purposes rather than gameplay, the fifth map especially, the top right and the part on the mid-left were entirely just because I wanted to attempt and make something. That said, I went ahead and made said changes to the second map with a few of my own, as a bit of a test to see if I could improve these maps (they're all a few months old at this point). The other two are sort of... not at all designed in a way I'd like for a map gameplay wise.

Spoiler

CWdshsc.png

I'll probably have more actual maps worked on once I'm not completely worn out from work.