Would You Like to See BEXP Return?

Bonus experience is a concept unique to the Tellius games, it can a strategic resource, or a means of favoritism. It can also be an incentive on the battlefield, like but different from rare weapons and items, adding to map side-objectives diversity.

But, BEXP did have its issues. In PoR, the infamous "Marcia BEXP dump", or whoever you favor, can break the game pretty easily. RD tweaked BEXP to give 3 stat points per level guaranteed, no more, no less. Given most Beorc have growths exceeding 300 in total, leveling via BEXP, at least until one or two stats are capped, hinders unit growth, but afterwards is equal to or better than it. It allows Haar to fix his Speed issue for instance with the need for a Speedwing. And for Laguz, BEXP just generally just a boon given their sub-300 growths.

BEXP can't really work within a game with infinite grinding, like Awakening and Fates Rev & BR, since it makes BEXP seem frivolous. However SoV did have its little group EXP thing, and Golden Apples and certain Sacred Springs gave a finite number of free level ups. I wouldn't mind Golden Apples returning, if not BEXP. 

One change I would make, is that there would be a soft cap on the maximum level attainable at any time. If you attempt to raise a unit beyond the level of the highest leveled unit at the same tier (because otherwise Jagens would void this for much of the game), you'll see BEXP cost shooting up significantly beyond what it would be otherwise. So if going from 10 to 11 normally costs 125 BEXP, it'd cost 188 or 250, a 50-100% increase, instead. If they brought back Golden Apples, they could work in such a scenario with BEXP, for in such a scenario they'd be best suited for someone presently at the higher end of your levels.

And I'd certainly say no to RD's guaranteed three point gains. Add a Fixed Mode (why hasn't this ever returned?) instead.

So, would you like to see BEXP return?

I would like it for the sake of adding secondary objectives to maps for a little variety.  Having only seize/rout maps can get a bit stale after a while.

You forgot the FE12 incarnation of BEXP, its probably the most balanced of the bunch in a roundabout way. You can rig its super easilly, but using it requries money and using it extensively requires EVEN MORE money

Yes, I definitely would like to see it back. (Non-SoV/Gaiden) Villagers, healers, and units that just aren't that great at combat (a few thieves) would definitely appreciate receiving it

Edited by Arcphoenix

I hope it does return, it was a good way of adding side objectives to maps. It helped give a more distinctive feel to escape maps by awarding Bexp for having people escape before the lord, instead of punishing the player for having the lord leave early (like FE 5). Plus Radiant Dawn's way of converting the exp gained by NPCs/Allies into Bexp made me resent them far less.

I would like it to come bakc, since i liked it more than the mindless grinding. But for it to work on new games, were grinding will for sure return, they could at least make it a way to level weapon exp. It would for sure make me feel better about the all new weapons starting at E thing.

It would also be perfect to be used on Remakes of older games where simple grinding would make no sense.

My favorite thing about BEXP is that it can provide an actual incentive to play somewhat quickly. For me at least, FE is way more fun when tying to balance going fast and not dying. I would like to see it return, as long as they don't use the abusable three stat system from FE10. IMO normal level ups from BEXP work just fine.

Rather than have an arbitrary level cap I'd propose a different solution: your BEXP cache is cleared between chapters. What broke BEXP was the ability to hoard the first few chapters' storage and funnel it all into one unit (usually Marcia or Jill). For early game chapters, either cut down on the amount you can receive before BEXPing becomes available or give us the base after the prologue. ...Or you could just limit the amount you can feed to one unit at a time.

Level thresholds could still have an effect on BEXP, but rather than capping it the BEXP-to-EXP conversion fluctuates depending on where your unit lies. This would allow for BEXP rewards throughout the game to be more consistent over time, such that 150 BEXP on a Level 5 unit at Chapter 5 has the same effect as 150 BEXP on a Level 1 promoted unit at Chapter 15.

Lastly, use the FE12 Drill Grounds with a guaranteed +1 minimum formula to give appropriate levels.

Edited by X-Naut

I like the BEXP in the form of drill grounds and training. The same BEXP could also be used to pay for small temporary stats boosts. Such as levelling up a weapon rank instead of, or in addition to, levelling up. Or temporarily raise the growth rate of a particular stat for the next few chapters. (For example, accuracy training with targets will raise your Skill stat, and running training will raise your Speed stat.) Do you want to further raise your Swordmaster's speed to be the most gamebreaking dodge tank? Or do you want to raise your Berserker's skill to get those crits land more often? Or do you want to cover your proverbial bottom, and raise your paladin's/general's low Resistance? Or...do you want to raise your Est that has 100+% growth rates for their gamebreaking potential? Also, to avoid favoring high-availability units, the BEXP payout should increase the further you progress. 

Edited by henrymidfields

It'd be nice to see it back, mostly for a game that progresses chapter by chapter, since grinding wouldn't be possible, allowing for more experimentation with units with not so favorable base stats or have fallen behind.  Even with the option to grind, it'd still be nice to have the option to use BEXP, so I don't have to grind, but if it's put into a game that does allow you to grind I feel that BEXP should only be given through completing chapters.

On 6.11.2018 at 1:31 AM, X-Naut said:

Rather than have an arbitrary level cap I'd propose a different solution: your BEXP cache is cleared between chapters. What broke BEXP was the ability to hoard the first few chapters' storage and funnel it all into one unit (usually Marcia or Jill). For early game chapters, either cut down on the amount you can receive before BEXPing becomes available or give us the base after the prologue. ...Or you could just limit the amount you can feed to one unit at a time.

Level thresholds could still have an effect on BEXP, but rather than capping it the BEXP-to-EXP conversion fluctuates depending on where your unit lies. This would allow for BEXP rewards throughout the game to be more consistent over time, such that 150 BEXP on a Level 5 unit at Chapter 5 has the same effect as 150 BEXP on a Level 1 promoted unit at Chapter 15.

Lastly, use the FE12 Drill Grounds with a guaranteed +1 minimum formula to give appropriate levels.

I don't like that first suggestions, that will most likely cause even more balance issues in favor of the early joiners. The other suggestions I like pretty well. Limiting the BEXP to say 100 per character per chapter, or just impose a total BEXP limit by chapter solves the issue of funneling all into one character. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, FiboSai said:

Limiting the BEXP to say 100 per character per chapter, or just impose a total BEXP limit by chapter solves the issue of funneling all into one character. 

This definitely helps balance out BEXP. But BEXP was a better system than straight up farming. Farming is boring, mindless, and broken. BEXP can be given a hard cap, and creates an incentive to do extra stuff in a map, or impose more challenge. 

Edited by Steinn

I love the bexp system despite its flaws. Though I do feel those flaws can be solved, for example by setting a level cap for bexp by chapter and making an auto-save during those level-ups.

Bonuse EXP is a great concept I think, it's something I like and appreciate in both The Tellius games and is similar to the group EXP feature of Gaiden/Echoes just the execution is differant. I think it allows one to more easily level units that would otherwise not get much experience such as healers for example. It has a lot of promise I think and should be something that returns and is maintained as a staple, though I could say that for a lot of the mechanics from the Tellius games. Shoving anyone? Ledge advantages? You get the idea.