Are you worried about Three Houses?

Roland

Are you worried about Three Houses?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How worried are you for Three Houses?

• Yes, I'm very worried.
    • I'm a little bit concerned.
    • No, not in the slightest.

It's a Fire Emblem game so nope. Even the games I most disliked in the series (RD and HW) still had things I really enjoyed about them.

My main concern at the moment is the lack of information. I want to hear more about it!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned because it's a game that was radio silent until its first trailer which was also the moment of its official delay. And what we saw just isn't up to the quality in presentation that I had been expecting after so much time. It's not just a concern about surface level aesthetics. We saw a lot of ideas in those precious seconds of gameplay. And I'm wondering if the game's issue stems from a lack of direction. That's how we got Fates, you know. Couldn't decide on a plot, write three plots and sell two individually with the third, true ending as DLC. Couldn't decide on how to interact with your army and it ended with a whole gameplay feature being cut in the international release. So many gameplay features were cut from Fates that they got turned into their own game called Fire Emblem Echoes. What the hell happened during that game's development?

I don't claim to know without a doubt that Three Houses is having similar issues in direction. We will probably never know. I'm just saying it's a bad look at this moment. Because everything that's happened between E3 2018 and Jan 2017 has resulted in massive shifts in how we consume Fire Emblem content, as well as a huge increase in player base thanks to Heroes - which is not getting any more popular. They also have to hit the incoming Smash hype cycle if they want to pull big numbers. All in all, time is not on their side and I hope Three Houses will get a proper amount of time in the oven and that the next trailer really wows us with their progress.

The thing that worries me the most is the one unit = one squad thing they’re going with. I really wonder why they’re going with a gimmick that will stop IS from putting out better visuals, animations, and performance of this is their first switch game. I’m worried that with this gimmick, there will be fewer player and enemy units on the map, since having a ton of units all with multiple generics attached might make it hard to have a ton of units on a map at once. I’m also still iffy about the art style.

Literally everything else I’m fine with, even the Echoes style cutscenes. 

I feel more indifferent towards Three Houses rather than worried. As someone who has beaten every game in the main line series and thinks FE is the best JRPG series around, I just got to say I’m disinterested in Three Houses. While I enjoyed myself with the 3DS trilogy, I’d be lying through my teeth if I didn’t say these games left me snowed. I’m one of those ‘old guard’ guys that felt that Awakening isn’t as great as everyone says it is and thinks that Fates isn’t as bad as many claim it to be.

You’ve got to understand when Awakening came out I was so excited that I had my friend ship the game to me in England just so I could play it. I was just so happy to be playing a new FE game after waiting so many years. However, over the last five years I feel that FE has lost its identity in trying to incorporate waifus and the tropes of its lesser contemporaries. Maybe it’s just the fact that I’m getting old, but I just want more out entertainment these days besides ‘friendship is magic’ storytelling and waifu culture.

I’ve spent the last year reading a lot of older fantasy literature , ranging from Frirz Leiber to Michael Moorcock, and I got to say it’s been quite enlightening. From this experience I’ve begun to understand just how dull and boring modern day JRPGs and anime really are. I’m far more interested in reading Karl Edward Wagner’s “Dark Crusade” and exploring the works of Ray Bradbury rather then playing FE, my favorite video game series of all time. Call me jaded but much like Disney Star Wars I feel that Fire Emblem has lost its uniqueness in dumbing itself down to appeal to a wider audience. Then again, this is just the ramblings of an old dyslexic swamp Yankee.

Edited by Wraith

No. I got too much other stuff to worry about.

The people that need to worry about the game the most are the ones directly working on it.

I am somewhat concerned, the character designs shown off so far look bad and IS doesn't have a great track record at the moment, 5 games with 3 remakes and the only two new titles were lackluster at best, I try to be optimistic but I really need more than we got to get rid of my fears.

There's a ton of elements about 3 houses that I dislike,even from just the 2 minutes teaser we got.

The good

-the OST was catchy

-the stained glass-like imagery with the dragon and the angelic figure at the start was pretty cool

-I like the green-haired woman's design,although I'm 100% sure she's not going to be playable,going to be a villain or both

-weapon durability is back

The bad

-the rest?

I'll start by saying that I was immensely hyped for the reveal,as even IS' B team proved to be able to produce such a high quality product in Echoes on a extremely limited hardware,and we were finally going back to a "powerful" console,after the Gamecube-Wii days.

Obviously these expectations were immediatly betrayed as they showed the barren map and the embarassingly low quality models.I know the game's not out yet and what you will,but what we saw managed to be a step down from a 3DS title of all things,and even something like the 13 years old Path of Radiance looks four times as good provided you emulate it at a higher resolution.But models and graphics aside,even some stylistic choices are questionable.What's with the addition of the musou-like generic soldiers? I even read about people praising this change,saying how it's more immersive and makes it feel like you're in a real war,but I don't see how these copy pasted,completely out of place mooks do anything but ruin my immersion as they stand around doing nothing and are THROWN INTO THE AIR when hit - what is this,Advance Wars?

My gripe with them isn't just that they look awful,which they undoubtedly do,but it's just a concept that doesn't work at all,ever;on any level.

There's two ways they can be handled -

Edelgard attacks and dodges and does everything herself while they just stand around doing nothing - it's trash,since they're just there to suck up hardware resources and as previously said detract from the so called immersion since that's now how a real battle works,and it looks stupid.

Edelgard attacks along with the soldiers backing them up - this is also trash,since it means the fight is no longer about the main unit itself,in a character-driven series that's historically been about 1 vs 1 duels between units and where a huge part of the fucking appeal is how the numerous characters are given a ton of relevance and you use the ones you like.I want to see my cool swordmaster do some sick flips and twirls against the enemy character,not see generic dude swing his generic swords against his generic enemy multiplied by 20.

What's with the sub-par artist they chose for the designs? are they tight on the budget after all the profits they made with Fates and Awakening and that they're still making with FEH?

I don't want to be mean and insult whoever they hired and I'm sorry for this,but there's no fucking way a series like FE after all the recent success should downgrade from Hidari or even Kozaki to this

uRrxd7q.png

What's with greasy hair? the red nose -does he have a cold? I read some professional artists' opinions and the details on him (like the silver linings,the buckle,the cape) are objectively amateurish,opinions aside.What's that he's wearing,is that an armor or a shirt,I can't even tell.And this isn't the random ass level 4 Cavalier that join in chapter 3 and you never end up using,this abomination is your next Ike,Sigurd,Marth,whatever you want.

Even someone like Edelgard,who I dislike the least,has an outfit that doesn't even fit the fucking setting,looking like a WWI official uniform with epaulettes and everything in a series set in a European medieval fantasy since its conception.And don't get me started on Blyeth because god knows what the hell's going on with his armor.

While all these things may not affect the gameplay and some may not care about them,they heavily detract from my experience and enjoyment,to the point where I was sure I'd buy a Switch for this game,yet I'm really not so sure right now.

I love Fire Emblem,and precisely because I love it I can't accept this kind of in-your-face mediocrity.The game's supposedly to be released soon,and yet we know almost nothing about it and I hate the few things that have been shown -  a second delay is very likely at this point,and I don't know if I have to hope for one so they might fix this mess or just want the game to be cancelled and move on.

And I saw some units wear a fucking graduatee hat.

A fucking graduatee hat.

Edited by Gocciole

On 11/2/2018 at 10:21 PM, Dandy Druid said:

No. I got too much other stuff to worry about.

The people that need to worry about the game the most are the ones directly working on it.

Exactly seriously if your THAT worried you really need a hobby....

all of the units shown so far are from an acdedemy, of course they'd be wearing school uniforms and a graduatee hat. (doesn't explain Dimitri's goofy ass spagetthi hair but its probaly intentional to show he doesnt take good care of himself or smth)

3 hours ago, Gocciole said:

There's a ton of elements about 3 houses that I dislike,even from just the 2 minutes teaser we got.

The good

-the OST was catchy

-the stained glass-like imagery with the dragon and the angelic figure at the start was pretty cool

-I like the green-haired woman's design,although I'm 100% sure she's not going to be playable,going to be a villain or both

-weapon durability is back

The bad

-the rest?

I'll start by saying that I was immensely hyped for the reveal,as even IS' B team proved to be able to produce such a high quality product in Echoes on a extremely limited hardware,and we were finally going back to a "powerful" console,after the Gamecube-Wii days.

Obviously these expectations were immediatly betrayed as they showed the barren map and the embarassingly low quality models.I know the game's not out yet and what you will,but what we saw managed to be a step down from a 3DS title of all things,and even something like the 13 years old Path of Radiance looks four times as good provided you emulate it at a higher resolution.But models and graphics aside,even some stylistic choices are questionable.What's with the addition of the musou-like generic soldiers? I even read about people praising this change,saying how it's more immersive and makes it feel like you're in a real war,but I don't see how these copy pasted,completely out of place mooks do anything but ruin my immersion as they stand around doing nothing and are THROWN INTO THE AIR when hit - what is this,Advance Wars?

My gripe with them isn't just that they look awful,which they undoubtedly do,but it's just a concept that doesn't work at all,ever;on any level.

There's two ways they can be handled -

Edelgard attacks and dodges and does everything herself while they just stand around doing nothing - it's trash,since they're just there to suck up hardware resources and as previously said detract from the so called immersion since that's now how a real battle works,and it looks stupid.

Edelgard attacks along with the soldiers backing them up - this is also trash,since it means the fight is no longer about the main unit itself,in a character-driven series that's historically been about 1 vs 1 duels between units and where a huge part of the fucking appeal is how the numerous characters are given a ton of relevance and you use the ones you like.I want to see my cool swordmaster do some sick flips and twirls against the enemy character,not see generic dude swing his generic swords against his generic enemy multiplied by 20.

What's with the sub-par artist they chose for the designs? are they tight on the budget after all the profits they made with Fates and Awakening and that they're still making with FEH?

I don't want to be mean and insult whoever they hired and I'm sorry for this,but there's no fucking way a series like FE after all the recent success should downgrade from Hidari or even Kozaki to this

uRrxd7q.png

What's with greasy hair? the red nose -does he have a cold? I read some professional artists' opinions and the details on him (like the silver linings,the buckle,the cape) are objectively amateurish,opinions aside.What's that he's wearing,is that an armor or a shirt,I can't even tell.And this isn't the random ass level 4 Cavalier that join in chapter 3 and you never end up using,this abomination is your next Ike,Sigurd,Marth,whatever you want.

Even someone like Edelgard,who I dislike the least,has an outfit that doesn't even fit the fucking setting,looking like a WWI official uniform with epaulettes and everything in a series set in a European medieval fantasy since its conception.And don't get me started on Blyeth because god knows what the hell's going on with his armor.

While all these things may not affect the gameplay and some may not care about them,they heavily detract from my experience and enjoyment,to the point where I was sure I'd buy a Switch for this game,yet I'm really not so sure right now.

I love Fire Emblem,and precisely because I love it I can't accept this kind of in-your-face mediocrity.The game's supposedly to be released soon,and yet we know almost nothing about it and I hate the few things that have been shown -  a second delay is very likely at this point,and I don't know if I have to hope for one so they might fix this mess or just want the game to be cancelled and move on.

And I saw some units wear a fucking graduatee hat.

A fucking graduatee hat.

forgot to quote this whoops

1 hour ago, GrassEater said:

at 0:35, the leftmost characters

Hmmmm. Could be. Or just weirdly shaped hats since they look like mages to me. Thanks for pointing is out for me though!

Edited by Dandy Druid

My first FE games were on the 3DS, so I'm anxious about how different it could be on the Switch. I'm already not really liking what was shown during the trailer; reminds me too much of Valkyrie Chronicles. But just like others have said, since its a Fire Emblem game, I'm bound to like it. ..Maybe. I really want to like it, so I'll go in with an open mind and realistic expectations. 

With what little we have to go on it is hard for me to say if I am worried or not. I am actually really excited to learn more about the solider mechanics and what all they will contribute to future strategies along with any other changes they might be bringing to the table.  The only thing that would get me to start sweating is if they decided to pull a Fates and split up the story into three different games again.

14 hours ago, Guest Tobi said:

And what may I ask is wrong with VC?! If anything that makes it even BETTER to me!

Oh, there's nothing wrong with VC. I just mean that FE is losing some of its unique properties by looking so much like another franchise. I actually quite enjoy VC p: 

(also sorry if you weren't talking to me, i just assumed so based on context!)

48 minutes ago, nyainou said:

Oh, there's nothing wrong with VC. I just mean that FE is losing some of its unique properties by looking so much like another franchise. I actually quite enjoy VC p: 

(also sorry if you weren't talking to me, i just assumed so based on context!)

Oh its ok I understand VC is a great extremely underrated series I was just wondering thanks for replying! :)

What’s a graduatee?

I’m worried that if this doesn’t sell well it will look really bad for the future of FE, esp. if it’s true that SoV underperformed (which I’m doubtful about but whatever).

3 hours ago, anikom15 said:

if it’s true that SoV underperformed (which I’m doubtful about but whatever).

SoV actually did well. They produced a certain amount of copies and almost all of them were bought. The numbers might be low, but that's because the 3DS era had ended and they played it safe with the amount of copies

I should also mention that SoV was quite easy to make as the groundworks had already been set with Gaiden

If people were to make the argument that another FE game could've been made instead of a remake of Gaiden, those games have more depth to their system while Gaiden is rather simplistic. It's more of a budget game made with the intention of raising skills (like making realistic models as was said in a interview last year) to transfer easier into the Switch gen.

Edited by silveraura25

Worried, at least from the perspective of what little care I still have for the series.

The musou mook squad nonsense in particular is an immediate turn-off, but there are quite a few other issues I had with the trailer, from niggling (e.g. translation of song lyrics) to exasperating (just how repetitive and derivative this whole preview was, particularly drawing from the very two games I'd like to get further away from, Awakening and Fates).

If they shoehorn the breeding simulator into this thing again, I'm sitting out.

Just a little bit concerned. It's just that many of the choices that IS has made of late in Fates and Heroes has been... questionable. Now it's entirely possible that my fears are misguided, that all the bad decisions will somehow miraculously only be  in Heroes, and IS will fix all the problems from the previous games, but so many factors in TH right now can go either way.

Take the avatar being the teacher for the 3 lords for example. It would be amazing to have your avatar make choices in their education of the 3 lordlings that might influence their character and decisions later on in the game. It also is a good reason to make your avatar involved in the plot and central conflict while not taking up the main spotlight, instead serving as a support for the 3 lords can grow and learn from. But it's also entirely possible for IS to take a different route and make his position as a teacher an excuse for the lords idolizing the avatar 24/7, pull a Kris situation and go "he was the hero all along!!!!," and fulfill that creepy student x teacher fetish.

I really wish I didn't have these concerns, but after my unbridled hype for Fates and the resulting crash-and-burn, I'd rather remain cautious, just in case.