Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Rumor Discussion: How the Grinch Didn't Actually Leak Smash

Lightchao42

There's been a lot of rumor talk lately, and ever since my uncle told me that Garfield would be playable I felt this thread was necessary.

Talk about all sorts of rumors here, and try not to leak any discussion into the main discussion thread.

Edited by Lightchao42

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that Snapchat Theory seems to have spiraled into something unexpected, so it's best to cut down on spoilers for the ten or so people that might be looking in at the wrong time. Welp. I'm still on Team Fake by principle, but I haven't been thinking about this even a fraction that others have. So I'm not about to antagonize folks that have been working so hard (or bandwagoning off the people doing the real work) to argue their case.

That said though, it's a bummer to have my own predictions ruined regarding the source of future "leaks". I thought the next hottest rumor would take the name of Tinder Theory, followed by Sakurai Theory, then Best Buy Theory. Having another social app stealing the thunder really hurts my self confidence. And who wouldn't try to pick up chicks with NDA-breaking info? Guess the world wasn't built to make sense.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

And who wouldn't try to pick up chicks with NDA-breaking info?

Oh, I'm sure it has happened before. "Hey baby. I'm a special effects artist. Go on a date with me, and I'll tell you all about what happens in the next Star Wars film."

But I'm Team Real. I was hesitant, but leaning Real before. The extra bits we've gotten since the morning has moved me to more to the side of Real.

Edited by Slumber

Funny, I was just thinking about this, and saw a new thread made. Exciting stuff.

I must say chaps, the characters don't quite do it for me personally besides Banjo & Kazooize, whom I've wanted to see in the series since I was but a wee lad. I'm also very happy that Golden Sun fans are (potentially) being shown some love.

This shouldn't include any potential DLC characters though, right? I kind of expect we'll see Edelgard and a new Pokémon later in 2019.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Funny, I was just thinking about this, and saw a new thread made. Exciting stuff.

I must say chaps, the characters don't quite do it for me personally besides Banjo & Kazooize, whom I've wanted to see in the series since I was but a wee lad. I'm also very happy that Golden Sun fans are (potentially) being shown some love.

This shouldn't include any potential DLC characters though, right? I kind of expect we'll see Edelgard and a new Pokémon later in 2019.

This would probably be the base roster, unless they're including DLC characters in the mural. 

And I agree with a new Pokemon and FE character for DLC. Those seem like obvious additions, but I'm not even sure it'd be Edelgard, even if it'd make sense for advertisement of Three Houses. 

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

This would probably be the base roster, unless they're including DLC characters in the mural. 

And I agree with a new Pokemon and FE character for DLC. Those seem like obvious additions, but I'm not even sure it'd be Edelgard, even if it'd make sense for advertisement of Three Houses. 

It's true, we don't know enough about Three Houses yet; for all we know she won't have the definitive main role and they'll give us Byleth or someone else instead. Still though, the cross promotion potential here is insane, and people already love Edelgard. 

I mean a lady with axes and magic in Smash? That's like the dream combo. 

She's going to be a horribly written character, isn't she?

Should when the time come we make a separate DLC topic? Or just throw it all in the currently-existing news topic?

Cynically assuming this present leak to be real, I'm more focused on DLC at the moment. Not that much interest in the new crew.

And a question, if the leak is real and B&K are in, shouldn't they be getting a stage? If so, what would it be? The big green overworld- what was it called- the Isle O' Hags if memory serves me right? Sounds a little boring if childhood memories are anything to go by. What would be a realistic, but interesting, stage pick?

I'd ask the same thing for Golden Sun, although one of the Lighthouses seems like the easy bet here. A modern remix of the Saturos Battle Theme should send me into ecstasy BTW (as long as they don't fumble it like they did with BKO's Valedictory Elegy).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Should when the time come we make a separate DLC topic? Or just throw it all in the currently-existing news topic?

I don't see why DLC news needs to be separate from the main news topic, once/if it's confirmed that we'll get DLC, but someone can make a "what characters do you want/expect as DLC?" thread if they want. We don't know the base roster yet, so it's a bit presumptuous to talk about DLC before we know if we're getting any.

I only made this separately because some people don't want to hear about rumors in the main discussion thread.

Edited by Lightchao42

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And a question, if the leak is real and B&K are in, shouldn't they be getting a stage? If so, what would it be? The big green overworld- what was it called- the Isle O' Hags if memory serves me right? Sounds a little boring if childhood memories are anything to go by. What would be a realistic, but interesting, stage pick?

there may be more, no one is 100% sure if 103 is the final stage count. Personally I think there may be some hidden stages tied to those characters

there has to be some kind of surprise, maybe they're based off of the boss battles from spirits mode

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Cynically assuming this present leak to be real, I'm more focused on DLC at the moment. Not that much interest in the new crew.

I'd ask the same thing for Golden Sun, although one of the Lighthouses seems like the easy bet here. A modern remix of the Saturos Battle Theme should send me into ecstasy BTW.

The roof of Gruntilda's Lair? Or we could have one of those stages that cycles through aesthetics. Have Gruntilda in the back casting magic, which leads to us the background and hazards changing, all being based on Banjo levels. The idea of a remixed version of Gruntilda's boss fight makes me happy, since that seems like a decent choice of OST. 

And the GS level would definitely be the Venus Lighthouse. 

Ehhh, i'm still on Team Fake if only because ArtsyOmni has scarred me for life when it comes to leaks. If there's even a 1% chance that it was faked, i am going to consider that possibility.

As for my thoughts on the supposed leaked characters.....i'm really happy for Isaac but that's it really. I haven't really played a Banjo-Kazooie game, Shadow and Ken are cool but garunateed, Geno would probably bring Beware the Forest Mushrooms with him and that's really the only reason why i would want him, and i'm indifferent to Mach Rider and Chorus Kids. 

Out of my most wanted newcomers list, it seems only Isaac is getting in. I thought Skull Kid was a shoe-in since his Assist Trophy status seems to have been replaced but he's not there. Lyn got deconfirmed on day 1 and that sucked. And Rex&Pyra, my most wanted newcomers, probably only have a real chance at DLC. Although at this point, i just want a new Xenoblade character, i don't care who. Hell, i wouldn't mind KOS-MOS and she's Xenosaga.

This is all assuming the leak is real.

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

It's true, we don't know enough about Three Houses yet; for all we know she won't have the definitive main role and they'll give us Byleth or someone else instead. Still though, the cross promotion potential here is insane, and people already love Edelgard. 

Smash has a history of promoting upcoming FE games in Smash (Roy made his video game debut in Melee, Corrin was advertising the Western release of Fates) so it wouldn't surprise me if they throw in Edelgard to promote Three Houses. Of course, that's assuming Edelgard is the main character. There's four main characters in Three Houses but whoever is the main character will be the one in Smash.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And a question, if the leak is real and B&K are in, shouldn't they be getting a stage? If so, what would it be? The big green overworld- what was it called- the Isle O' Hags if memory serves me right? Sounds a little boring if childhood memories are anything to go by.

That's like the most recognizable area in all of Banjo-Kazooie so they'll likely be going with that if he gets in inb4 Nuts&Bolts stage.

Edited by Armagon

I'm on Team Fake for two reason:

1. Sakurai stated that he got trigger happy with character reveals during the Smash Bros. Direct and plans to slow down the rate the announcements occur because he's run out of content to show frequently. With this logic in mind I think this leak has WAY too many characters to be consistent with Sakurai's statement, at least in my opinion.

2. When the ERSB leak happened for the last game, Nintendo went into full damage control mode trying to take down videos containing the leaked gameplay as fast as they could catch them. As far as I can tell, Nintendo has not been doing the same to "The Grinch Leak" which to me doesn't make sense because if it was real, I would expect a similar if not identical response from the big N.

2 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

2. When the ERSB leak happened for the last game, Nintendo went into full damage control mode trying to take down videos containing the leaked gameplay as fast as they could catch them. As far as I can tell, Nintendo has not been doing the same to "The Grinch Leak" which to me doesn't make sense because if it was real, I would expect a similar if not identical response from the big N.

This happened today.

A video that supported the leaks last week was uploaded and taken down within the last 24 hours. 

It's one of the events that legitimized the leaks for a lot of people. 

Though it's unclear if it was directly Nintendo's doing, the video has been pretty thoroughly scrubbed from the internet. I haven't seen it resurface yet. 

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

And the GS level would definitely be the Venus Lighthouse. 

Which should mean Issac is nigh-invincible there, assuming the lighthouse is lit, although that is more to animate if it is- could be a potential on-and-off stage hazard.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The roof of Gruntilda's Lair? Or we could have one of those stages that cycles through aesthetics. Have Gruntilda in the back casting magic, which leads to us the background and hazards changing, all being based on Banjo levels.

Which ones would they then pick for a tour? No to the underwater place, since it is underwater. Maybe the half-ice-half-fire world to kill two birds with one stone. The first Mayan/Incan-looking place being the first world in the first game would be feasible. The horror world would be nice, the polluted rusting ship was apparently infamous in the day. And because it is visually distinctive, I'm thinking the wacko place in the sky.

Tick-Tock Woods- or whatever the four seasons forest was called, IRRC has a beloved composition attached to it, with seasonal distinctions. Hopefully it could sneak into the soundtrack at least.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

This happened today.

A video that supported the leaks last week was uploaded and taken down within the last 24 hours. 

It's one of the events that legitimized the leaks for a lot of people. 

I was not aware, thank you for informing me.

15 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I think the direct was suppose to start off with the Isabel trailer, and SE probably didn't care

I think Issac's trailer might have had something to do with an earthquake (I haven't played Golden Sun in +10 years)

He probably had another trailer planned to be presented, and having to delay it is what might have caused him to scrap it.

(Moved it here to avoid talking about the leak in the main thread)

Starting off with the Isabelle trailer seems weird. You don't just start a regular Direct with Smash. Smash brings the most hype, so they save it for the end.

Except Sakurai didn't scrap the article. It was simply delayed.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Starting off with the Isabelle trailer seems weird. You don't just start a regular Direct with Smash. Smash brings the most hype, so they save it for the end.

they could start off and end with a smash trailer, not to mention Isabelle's trailer also teased an new Animal Crossing which could have lead them to going "yada yada yada more to come later" cont. direct. End with Isaac trailer 

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Smash has a history of promoting upcoming FE games in Smash (Roy made his video game debut in Melee, Corrin was advertising the Western release of Fates) so it wouldn't surprise me if they throw in Edelgard to promote Three Houses. Of course, that's assuming Edelgard is the main character. There's four main characters in Three Houses but whoever is the main character will be the one in Smash.

Like Robin.

Edelgard is clearly being promoted as the primary character of interest. The main protagonist will either be her or Byleth.

4 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I'm on Team Fake for two reason:

1. Sakurai stated that he got trigger happy with character reveals during the Smash Bros. Direct and plans to slow down the rate the announcements occur because he's run out of content to show frequently. With this logic in mind I think this leak has WAY too many characters to be consistent with Sakurai's statement, at least in my opinion.

What would Nintendo do? The ESRB leak included gameplay footage on YouTube that they could take down. This is a Snapchat video (that I believe was taken down quickly by the uploader) and an image. Nintendo can't delete an image from the internet.

10 hours ago, Florete said:

What would Nintendo do? The ESRB leak included gameplay footage on YouTube that they could take down. This is a Snapchat video (that I believe was taken down quickly by the uploader) and an image. Nintendo can't delete an image from the internet.

Nintendo obviously couldn't get rid of it entirely, but they could still be trying to make sure it doesn't keep spreading a the very least. I know that sounds like a futile pursuit, but I would still expect some kind of response from Nintendo even if such a response is seemingly meaningless if we're assuming the leak is real.

5 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

I think it's at least partly real, if not fully. Although i'm not gonna put all my eggs into that real basket yet.

At this point, given the evidence, I'd say this the most reasonable stance to take on the subject if you want to maintain an open mind going forward. With 6 highly requested/speculated characters in one leak I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of them are actually in the game.

Part of me wants that the leak is fake, just to se the chaos in the Smash community. It would be a sight to see.

I’m still Team Fake, mostly because of ArtsyOmni’s video on it, and because ArtsyOmni’s previous fake leak.

To those who are saying that no one would waste this much effort to create a fake leak, you guys forget the lengths people go to get attention.

14 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

To those who are saying that no one would waste this much effort to create a fake leak, you guys forget the lengths people go to get attention.

So much this. Also the fact that there have been far more elaborate hoaxes in history. Stuff that makes the Grinch leak look like an average post on 4chan.

3 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Nintendo obviously couldn't get rid of it entirely, but they could still be trying to make sure it doesn't keep spreading a the very least. I know that sounds like a futile pursuit, but I would still expect some kind of response from Nintendo even if such a response is seemingly meaningless if we're assuming the leak is real.

How do you know Nintendo's not doing anything? In a case like this, anything they do would probably go unnoticed by us.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

So much this. Also the fact that there have been far more elaborate hoaxes in history. Stuff that makes the Grinch leak look like an average post on 4chan.

After looking at all the little details, if this is fake, it's more effort than I've ever seen put into a fake by one person. Not only did he make this fake mural (which actually has a lot more small details than just adding a few characters in), he concocted a story around it not with text, but with context of a Snapchat video and the other materials within it.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, this leak has definitely been very entertaining to follow. I feel like this leak is probably accurate, as the evidence supporting it is very strong and there doesn't seem to be anything incredible about it. That being said, I feel it's always possible that other characters may get in as secret hidden characters that Sakurai hasn't yet announced or is holding off on announcing and that the banner might get another update later.

On one specific, I question Shadow's status. If we really have a Heroes versus villains theme, someone like Eggman or Metal Sonic would make more sense. Shadow, save for Sonic Boom Shadow, is a hero at best and an anti-hero with his own interfering agenda at worst. Additionally, I feel that Sakurai would, hopefully, give Shadow a moveset featuring his own unique abilities rather than making him an echo of Sonic with some physics and launch angle differences.

Edited by Arcphoenix